Television The Leftovers (TV Show)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's funny that Lindelof went from Lost to this and Watchmen, probably the most unsatisfying ending ever to a show vs two of the most satisfying endings to shows. At least he learnt his lesson.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's funny that Lindelof went from Lost to this and Watchmen, probably the most unsatisfying ending ever to a show vs two of the most satisfying endings to shows. At least he learnt his lesson.
It's clear he learnt something, that's for sure. Lost was a great what-if, but this and Watchmen are among my favourites.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Started watching this after Christmas and just watched the last episode. Really great TV.

While the ending was great, I think watching it over a short space of time has me pretty sad it’s so short and over so soon.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Started watching this after Christmas and just watched the last episode. Really great TV.

While the ending was great, I think watching it over a short space of time has me pretty sad it’s so short and over so soon.
Yeah that's true, to an extent, but I think it's also excellent because of its running time, it ends when it should have. So many shows are guilty of going on for too long and becoming a caricature of themselves, this definitely wasn't the case for Leftovers.

pauldyson1uk

I have just finished it, found first 2 eps hard work, very nearly gave up, but glad I stuck with it.
I found none of them annoying, thought every part was played very well.
Hard to pick stand outs from them, it would be Ecclestone, Carrie Coon and Ann Dowd.
There was more 10/10 eps than anything I have watched before.
The end ep outstanding, maybe the best ending off any TV show, when I got it , my jaw dropped.

jm99

Lost wasn't that unsatisfying an ending, it was just by the time it got to the ending the show had lost all its magic it had in the earlier seasons, the actual finale was fine. I think it shows the difference in working with HBO vs working to a network TV schedule

jm99

I have just finished it, found first 2 eps hard work, very nearly gave up, but glad I stuck with it.
Hard to pick stand outs from them, it would be Ecclestone, Carrie Coon and Ann Dowd.
The end ep outstanding, maybe the best ending off any TV show, when I got it , my jaw dropped.
Yeah it was so good, Matt Jamieson is one of the all time great TV characters, and the two episodes set in the hotel world/afterlife/dream were some of the be tv episodes ever

pauldyson1uk

Yeah it was so good, Matt Jamieson is one of the all time great TV characters, and the two episodes set in the hotel world/afterlife/dream were some of the be tv episodes ever
I was not expecting it to be just that good, I agree those eps were outstanding.
At firs Matt's voice was so annoying, but after a while ignored it.

jm99

Those three had great endings that all made sense. Closure, is that too much to ask for after so much emotional investment?

For what it's worth I loved Leftovers like I loved Lost. Then it shat on my face. Again.
I think this is totally the wrong way to look at it. The show was never about the people who went missing, it was about the people left behind in a world consumed by grief and fear that it could happen again

Mystery box shows never have a satisfying conclusion, they just don't. Which explanation for the departure would have improved the show, God did it? Aliens? The particle accelerator in Switzerland gone wrong? If it tried to answer the mystery, you'd be left with something that was unsatisfying regardless, it couldn't live up to the expectations. Instead it didn't try to, it just dealt with the characters, and concluded their arcs perfectly

Simbo

Can you explain the end ep to me? Maybe I just didn't 'get' it.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I think this is totally the wrong way to look at it. The show was never about the people who went missing, it was about the people left behind in a world consumed by grief and fear that it could happen again

Mystery box shows never have a satisfying conclusion, they just don't. Which explanation for the departure would have improved the show, God did it? Aliens? The particle accelerator in Switzerland gone wrong? If it tried to answer the mystery, you'd be left with something that was unsatisfying regardless, it couldn't live up to the expectations. Instead it didn't try to, it just dealt with the characters, and concluded their arcs perfectly
I get what you're saying, I really do. And I 'got' the end too (it's all about the people losing their minds, coping with the supernatural in their non-supernatural ways, love/break up/love, happy ending, etc).

But the show's intention was to grab you with something supernatural and then not deliver on it. Imagine opening a DVD case with a picture of Claudia Schiffer in her swimwear then spending the next 2 hours watching the emotional bonding of male inmates in a prison over a poster of Claudia Schiffer in her swimwear. Winning an Oscar along the way.

Thanks but no thanks.

jm99

I get what you're saying, I really do. And I 'got' the end too (it's all about the people losing their minds, coping with the supernatural in their non-supernatural ways, love/break up/love, happy ending, etc).

But the show's intention was to grab you with something supernatural and then not deliver on it. Imagine opening a DVD case with a picture of Claudia Schiffer in her swimwear then spending the next 2 hours watching the emotional bonding of male inmates in a prison over a poster of Claudia Schiffer in her swimwear. Winning an Oscar along the way.

Thanks but no thanks.
I guess that's fair enough, but I can't imagine sticking through 3 seasons of the show if it was just the initial mystery that drew you in.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I guess that's fair enough, but I can't imagine sticking through 3 seasons of the show if it was just the initial mystery that drew you in.
And that's the deception you see. At least with my made up prison movie you know within 15 minutes Claudia Schiffer will not be making a guest appearance in her swimwear.

But with Lost and their lever moving island with polar bears, and Leftovers with their dead man repeatedly coming back to life and his dad's Noah's Ark or some shit, the producers know you won't sit through it. So they're deliberately misleading you before saying "oh well, you've seen the whole show now. Admit it you liked it!" :rolleyes:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
And that's the deception you see. At least with my made up prison movie you know within 15 minutes Claudia Schiffer will not be making a guest appearance in her swimwear.

But with Lost and their lever moving island with polar bears, and Leftovers with their dead man repeatedly coming back to life and his dad's Noah's Ark or some shit, the producers know you won't sit through it. So they're deliberately misleading you before saying "oh well, you've seen the whole show now. Admit it you liked it!" :rolleyes:
This guy's a WUM for all things football-related, I'm just gonna assume he's wumming now too.

Ibi Dreams

The first season was an adaptation of a novel which never explained the missing people either. It was never the point to present you with a mystery and solve it by the end. I don't think it ever felt to me like they were going to do that. And it's better that they didn't

SirAnderson

Thanks but no thanks.
I wish I didn't read this.

SirAnderson

I just started based on input from the TV recommendation thread.

5 episodes in and I'm still like wtf is going on?
Are questions going to be answered...really trying to keep watching but it feels more convoluted than Lost.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Are questions going to be answered...really trying to keep watching but it feels more convoluted than Lost.
It's not like Lost. Also yes, some things are going to be kinda answered, but unlike Lost the point isn't the mystery.

If you don't like it you don't like it (though it gets even better than season 1), but don't let Dumbstar convince you that you don't like it for his own reasons.

jm99

I'm not going to spoil anything for your so what I'll say the show is more about the characters that have been left behind, and their grief, and their relationships rather than the supernatural stuff, some things are answered, some aren't but the show is really about how this event affected the world it left behind

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

Thanks but no thanks.
Seek help.

I actually didn't like it much, but not because I think it's a poor show. It was more visual, aesthetic thing to me because I watched it right after rewatching Lost for the first time since it aired. Leftovers is obviously a much better show than the mess that is Lost, but it just felt horribly drab and miserable in contrast :lol: The colour palette alone made me want to crawl into bed and remind myself that there's always hope in tomorrow. It was just too much after spending weeks laughing and enjoying how grandiose, serious and ridiculous Lost was.

I'll have to rewatch it in a few years to enjoy it fully, I think.

SirAnderson

I'm not going to spoil anything for your so what I'll say the show is more about the characters that have been left behind, and their grief, and their relationships rather than the supernatural stuff, some things are answered, some aren't but the show is really about how this event affected the world it left behind
I'm all for character development and seeing that element but man there are some serious questions that just keep growing and growing.

Just got to episode 7 and it's more and more insane.

Don't answer, but naturally my thinking is:

Are they going to answer what the purpose of the GRs is?
Is the Cop going to follow in he's father's steps and accept the book thing?
The feck is the Wayne storyline all about?

:lol: it's a mess. But I will really keep at it, but I definitely will be disappointed if at least the ideas that are floating in my head don't get answered to some extent, along the ride of seeing how those that are left behind cope.
Kinda spoiling it for myself by coming here, probably best to just watch it and come back after season 1 or after I've watched it all.

I'm all for character development and seeing that element but man there are some serious questions that just keep growing and growing.

Just got to episode 7 and it's more and more insane.

Don't answer, but naturally my thinking is:

Are they going to answer what the purpose of the GRs is?
Is the Cop going to follow in he's father's steps and accept the book thing?
The feck is the Wayne storyline all about?

:lol: it's a mess. But I will really keep at it, but I definitely will be disappointed if at least the ideas that are floating in my head don't get answered to some extent, along the ride of seeing how those that are left behind cope.
Kinda spoiling it for myself by coming here, probably best to just watch it and come back after season 1 or after I've watched it all.
I thought it got interesting when
they all come back in season two, claiming it was just a prank. In the beginning it all seems fine. They have a barbecue and laugh about how much fuss was made over this. Everything seems to be getting back to normal, but then Norma catches her returned husband catching a beetle with his now surprisingly long, forked and agile tongue. She is intrigued by this, for obvious reasons, but as you can imagine the implications are huge.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I thought it got interesting when
they all come back in season two, claiming it was just a prank. In the beginning it all seems fine. They have a barbecue and laugh about how much fuss was made over this. Everything seems to be getting back to normal, but then Norma catches her returned husband catching a beetle with his now surprisingly long, forked and agile tongue. She is intrigued by this, for obvious reasons, but as you can imagine the implications are huge.
:lol: that was when it jumped the shark imo...

SirAnderson

Just finished season 1 and I still don't know what the feck is going on.

I see the relationship element and stuff but there are basic questions that just needs clarifying.

Anyway, will start season 2 some time this week and see if it gives something more.

binary bot
Finally finished this after forever. Enjoyed season 1 and 2 but season 3 was hard going and it took me forever to get through. The last episode bailed it out big time.