Television The Leftovers (TV Show)

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Up to episode 6 of season 1, beginning to really enjoy it, the show does seem to better when it's not about the chief and his family. The Eccleston priest and Nora Durst episodes being really good. One question though, do they ever explain the motives, beliefs and reasoning behind the Guilty Remnant. I only ask as it's a Lindelof show and don't know if I'm in the mood for hoping for some explanation that will never be given

Cina

Up to episode 6 of season 1, beginning to really enjoy it, the show does seem to better when it's not about the chief and his family. The Eccleston priest and Nora Durst episodes being really good. One question though, do they ever explain the motives, beliefs and reasoning behind the Guilty Remnant. I only ask as it's a Lindelof show and don't know if I'm in the mood for hoping for some explanation that will never be given
Have they not already? I don't remember a point where they directly go "this is why we do what we do" but it does become apparent as you progress.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
OK, as the last two episodes were half decent and seemingly starting to explicitly answer some questions I'll give my take in the spoiler below based on episodes already aired, no other reading of websites or anything. Obviously could be yet another red herring they've been having me follow:

Jarden, surrounded by miracle, is obviously the Garden of Eden. People are desperate to get in through the gates but can't because of their "misdemeanours" so they mill around outside. The priest reckons he doesn't deserve it (yet). Meg is p*ssed off by it because she's obviously the devil, or the anti Christ, or the actual lens channelling Azrael, (something Nora was expected to be). Meg has told Kevin's son that he's now pregnant with her (evil?) baby. Mary on the other hand, yes "Mary", is also miraculously preggers. She was even given exceptional balloon and chocolate treatment in Kevin's dream. Kevin can't die (twice) so he's got a job to protect Mary - probably be sacrificed when the time is right.

Miracle was unaffected by the abductions until the three girls disappeared. But now we know they didn't, they want to show Jarden in a bad light. Why were they running naked in the first episode? Of course, something witches do. Remnant = coven?

The second series theme song "We don't know who they are or where they came from, or how long they'll stay" is catchy but chilling. Loads of red herrings in that too. Implies aliens (or evil beings?). Kevin's dad mentioned something that happened in the 70s and the government is covering up. Anyway, just like the show I've gone off on ridiculous tangents. Time to stop.

Gambit

Have they not already? I don't remember a point where they directly go "this is why we do what we do" but it does become apparent as you progress.
Not yet. As long as it is revealed over the course of the series though I'll be happy.

Prophet_of_Doom

OK, as the last two episodes were half decent and seemingly starting to explicitly answer some questions I'll give my take in the spoiler below based on episodes already aired, no other reading of websites or anything. Obviously could be yet another red herring they've been having me follow:

Jarden, surrounded by miracle, is obviously the Garden of Eden. People are desperate to get in through the gates but can't because of their "misdemeanours" so they mill around outside. The priest reckons he doesn't deserve it (yet). Meg is p*ssed off by it because she's obviously the devil, or the anti Christ, or the actual lens channelling Azrael, (something Nora was expected to be). Meg has told Kevin's son that he's now pregnant with her (evil?) baby. Mary on the other hand, yes "Mary", is also miraculously preggers. She was even given exceptional balloon and chocolate treatment in Kevin's dream. Kevin can't die (twice) so he's got a job to protect Mary - probably be sacrificed when the time is right.

Miracle was unaffected by the abductions until the three girls disappeared. But now we know they didn't, they want to show Jarden in a bad light. Why were they running naked in the first episode? Of course, something witches do. Remnant = coven?

The second series theme song "We don't know who they are or where they came from, or how long they'll stay" is catchy but chilling. Loads of red herrings in that too. Implies aliens (or evil beings?). Kevin's dad mentioned something that happened in the 70s and the government is covering up. Anyway, just like the show I've gone off on ridiculous tangents. Time to stop.
If that all turns out to be completely wrong, I'm stealing it and turning it into a movie.

Ekeke

Good finale! Some really nice scenes.

They have.

They said they are living reminders of what happened the day of the departure, they believe the world ended. And they wont let anyone forget

Gambit

Started season 2. 2 episodes in and it's superb.

Gambit

Finished season 2, thought it was superb, last episode was a bit meh but overall really good. Also looking forward to the events hinted at in Australia next season and no not Kevin's Dad but the resurrected person (who I reckon could be Wayne).

Prophet_of_Doom

Finished season 2, thought it was superb, last episode was a bit meh but overall really good. Also looking forward to the events hinted at in Australia next season and no not Kevin's Dad but the resurrected person (who I reckon could be Wayne).
Season 2 was definitely an improvement on Season 1 and upped the wtf factor. The only problem they had with the last episode was the fact that they had so many loose ends they needed to tie up. Considering that, I think they did pretty well.

It just goes to show that a tight season with fewer episodes means less filler (I'm looking at you TWD).

Gambit

I enjoyed season 1 and the first Christopher Eccleston centric episode (the gambling one) from season 1 is in my opinion the best episode of the series. Glad though they've ending this after next season, it should allow us to get a cpomplete story rather than them trying to make up more shit they will never be able to tie up by letting it go on for another x amount of seasons. Also the pixies where is my mind is now drilled into my head.

datura

Thought they nailed this season. Took a few episodes to really entice me in, but at times it's as good as anything. The Richter score is as good as ever, and some of the best use of music since Breaking Bad.

Ekeke

Thought they nailed this season. Took a few episodes to really entice me in, but at times it's as good as anything. The Richter score is as good as ever, and some of the best use of music since Breaking Bad.
Absolutely. I get chills every time

jem

Just finished this (binged both seasons in a couple of weeks.) Absolutely fantastic! The score, as mentioned above, is amazing and chilling.

jem

What I found interesting is that there were moments (like the Kevin G(H)arvey dream sequence,) where I was a bit put off by the mystical/magical/supernatural elements, thinking to myself that it was a bit unrealistic. And then I remembered that the whole show is premised on a supernatural event; such is its attention to the realistic and believable fallout of the Departure, rather than to the event itself, that I found myself completely immersed in a very realistic feeling show (unlike Lost, which I quickly lost my patience with.)

Prophet_of_Doom

What I found interesting is that there were moments (like the Kevin G(H)arvey dream sequence,) where I was a bit put off by the mystical/magical/supernatural elements, thinking to myself that it was a bit unrealistic. And then I remembered that the whole show is premised on a supernatural event; such is its attention to the realistic and believable fallout of the Departure, rather than to the event itself, that I found myself completely immersed in a very realistic feeling show (unlike Lost, which I quickly lost my patience with.)
I also think it works because every now and again characters acknowledge that what is happening is ridiculous and makes little sense, or the show just turns the ridiculousness on its head and laughs at itself (like the episode where Nora - and the audience - is beginning to believe she is a 'laser' and it's all becoming a little hokey spiritual, only to learn that the researchers believe she is some ancient deity).

jem

I also think it works because every now and again characters acknowledge that what is happening is ridiculous and makes little sense, or the show just turns the ridiculousness on its head and laughs at itself (like the episode where Nora - and the audience - is beginning to believe she is a 'laser' and it's all becoming a little hokey spiritual, only to learn that the researchers believe she is some ancient deity).
Yeah that was hilarious - the demon Azrael! I actually think Nora is a key character in keeping the whole thing grounded (Carrie Coons is fantastic.) I also laughed when Kevin found himself in the hotel again and he's like, "I'm not fecking doing this again!" A perfect way to diffuse what could have been an exasperating scenario for the viewer - his karaoke rendition of Homeward Bound was very moving as well.

Cereal Killer

Just finished watching season 2, can't think of many if any better individual seasons in any show ever. I thought season 1 was good, but these 10 episodes were ridiculously good. Writers get special mention, so do the guys that were in charge of music.

Cereal Killer

What is the bolded part in exact reference to if you don't mind? Agreed on the music, frigging brilliant stuff. Especially the episode in which Matt's taking care of Mary while the Bellamy Brothers play in the background over and over again.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Finished watching the latest episode. I'm so conflicted about this show, it takes it self so seriously, I'm constantly trying to pick holes in it, but it's so addictive and captivating and it mostly calls itself out on the preposterous stuff. I'll have to let it sink in for a while.

Prophet_of_Doom

I'm actually terrified about Season 3. Purely because it's currently ranking as my favourite TV show ever, but they've got so much they need to say/do/tie up in the final third season that it's almost inevitably going to be an almighty anti-climax. Especially considering how Lost ended. The only positive is that they know it's the final season and have had plenty of time to prepare for it.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I think I must give this show a watch, I thought it would be some overly sentimental crap, but the reviews in here are positive - to say the least.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'm on episode 9 of season 2 of this. Episode 8 is one of the best things I've watched in a long time, absolutely loved it.

Justin Theroux is excellent, as is a lot of the cast.

Also, I was very reluctant going into it because of Lindelof, but it's actually not too Lindelof-y. Which is cool.

Cina

I'm on episode 9 of season 2 of this. Episode 8 is one of the best things I've watched in a long time, absolutely loved it.

Justin Theroux is excellent, as is a lot of the cast.

Also, I was very reluctant going into it because of Lindelof, but it's actually not too Lindelof-y. Which is cool.
International Assassin :drool:

Amazing episode of TV.

Can't believe the 3rd series isn't out til April.

Prophet_of_Doom

International Assassin :drool:

Amazing episode of TV.

Can't believe the 3rd series isn't out til April.
International Assassin is the first and only time I've ever involuntarily applauded a TV show. So batshit crazy brilliant and any episode that could make you like and feel sorry for Patti had to be some great writing.

I'm kind of glad they've already said the next season is the final one because it means they've had plenty of time to nail the scripts, rather than a last minute "shit, we've been cancelled and need to wrap this up" anticlimax.