Television The Leftovers (TV Show)

jungledrums

Would read the thread but don't want spoilers. In a word, is this worth watching? Cheers!

kps88

Umm...so I just binged this over the course of a weekend thanks to Nilsson and RIP. It's one hell of a show. That second season was top tier stuff. I wouldn't recommend binging for the sake of your mental health; the first season especially can get relentlessly depressing.

And I love the soundtrack.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Umm...so I just binged this over the course of a weekend thanks to Nilsson and RIP. It's one hell of a show. That second season was top tier stuff. I wouldn't recommend binging for the sake of your mental health; the first season especially can get relentlessly depressing.

I also binged it this weekend due to the high praise it was getting on Caf!

kps88

I also binged it this weekend due to the high praise it was getting on Caf!
The timing worked out perfectly actually considering the new season's just started.

KM

The timing worked out perfectly actually considering the new season's just started.
I just read that it has pretty low ratings in US and that's partly the reason why it's ending after this season, such a shame. That season 2 was one of the best I've ever seen.

kps88

I just read that it has pretty low ratings in US and that's partly the reason why it's ending after this season, such a shame. That season 2 was one of the best I've ever seen.
Yeah from what I've read we're lucky we even got a season 3.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue

I'm glad you followed the advice!

Opening episode was as intriguing as ever.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Disappointment

KM

Just watched the opening episode. Didn't quite understood the opening sequence though(amongst other things which is consistent with this show). Still quite good!

ZAGREB RED

Just watched the opening episode. Didn't quite understood the opening sequence though(amongst other things which is consistent with this show). Still quite good!
I think, maybe, the opening sequence was supposed to illustrate that people in the past expected an event like the "departure" that this show is centred around, but it didn't actually happen until the one in this show. Not sure though, might be open to interpretation, as the closing sequence is, although I have read the show switches to Australia for at least some of this series, which I think is maybe going to be the last one, due to poor ratings.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think, maybe, the opening sequence was supposed to illustrate that people in the past expected an event like the "departure" that this show is centred around, but it didn't actually happen until the one in this show. Not sure though, might be open to interpretation, as the closing sequence is, although I have read the show switches to Australia for at least some of this series, which I think is maybe going to be the last one, due to poor ratings.
It was confirmed this was the last one long ago!

Tarrou

Brilliant opener to the season. Love the music in this show!

Starting to feel a bit gutted this is the last season. They've done such a brilliant job of character development it feels such a shame to wrap it up this quickly.

KM

Cheers make sense, I think.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The first season covered the whole of the book and I believe that they only ever envisioned it as a 2 or 3 season run.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Well that was a fecking great opener

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Going to wait till June and binge this. The reviews are exciting to see.

bucky

Didn't think it was possible to hate Liv Tyler that much. She's great in that role.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Didn't think it was possible to hate Liv Tyler that much. She's great in that role.
Agreed, I think it's her soft spoken voice that adds something to her evilness.

This show has some absolute random moments of hilarity

fecking Nora and her Wu-Tang tattoo:lol:

Last edited:

bucky

Agreed, I think it's her soft spoken voice that adds something to her evilness.

This show has some absolute random moments of hilarity

fecking Nora and her Wu-Tang tattoo:lol:
And her devious smile.

Moiraine

I am going to wait for all the episodes this time. Too much high quality TV coming up, Better call saul, Prison Break, Fargo and Leftovers.

KM

This episode can be summarized by this :confused::lol::confused:

kps88

What are people confused about? Feel like I'm missing something.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Now all the way up to episode 7 of season 2. Great show. Great music too. Pixies, Black Keys, Jim James, etc.

Gotta feeling that what happened to the three missing girls won't be addressed by season's end. Also, wtf was the deal with them running naked in the forest earlier in the season. Did I completely imagine that?

DWelbz19

Also, wtf was the deal with them running naked in the forest earlier in the season. Did I completely imagine that?
I always saw that scene as a loose biblical nod - Ev{i}e running through the [J]arden of Eden. And just a general moment of freedom/rebellion for the girls.

Here's a quote from Lindelof himself:
Lindelof said:
I want to talk about it but I'm not going to talk about it. All I will say is there's a significant amount of intentionality in what we did. All I'll say is, (Tom) Perrotta and I spoke a lot about this, and Reza Aslan, our resident religious expert, spent a lot of time talking about what I'm about to say, which is that the observance of religion, particularly when it is first forming, in its nascent state, there's all sorts of things happening and shifting and calcifying, and people raising their hands and saying, "Well, what if we did this? Could we do this?"
There's a bit more to his quote (but he really isn't saying much, IMO) which is a tiny bit spoiler-ish so I cut it out.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This episode featured 2 songs that were in GTA San Andreas.

There's a connection, I'm telling you!

DWelbz19

S3 spoiler
It seems Matt is ill again. Nosebleeds in the episode before, and when Kevin Sr. called him he was in cold sweats shivering. This parallel's the departure - he was celebrating the all-clear the day it happened. Thus, confirming the apocalypse is coming?

kps88

That was a fantastic episode. Whole thing just flew by.