Television The Leftovers (TV Show)

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Justin Theroux cutting a hole and putting his fist into an identical copy of himself to the tune of God Only Knows
. How very Leftovers.

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
You mean the
Kevin pushes his hand inside Kevin
scene? Indeed.
Yeah. I'm not normally too bothered by gore (although I avoid any kind of real gore, because I have no interest in looking at any), but that was just... something else. It's not like we didn't see it coming once that particular situation was mentioned, but it was a lot more... engaged.. than I imagined.

PoTMS

What a great piece of television this show is - particularly this season. Can't believe there's only one episode left. :(

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Gah. Only one episode left. :(

Bit surprised they didn't show
Laurie in this episode, considering she died. I guess her arc is resolved how they ended it last episode with the phonecall.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Gah. Only one episode left. :(

Bit surprised they didn't show
Laurie in this episode, considering she died. I guess her arc is resolved how they ended it last episode with the phonecall.
I don't think you can assume anything yet. If we are lucky everything will come together in the last episode.

Sb_16

Well the finale didn't disappoint. Like every previous episodes, it keeps you interested even among confusion about what is going on and ended with that feeling of satisfaction. This was a great series. I can't pinpoint why it was so great for me but part of it was the character development, it was intense and well done.

Over here we lost some of them but over there they lost all of us.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
A decent ending, maybe not as thrilling as I would like but it bought everything to satisfying conclusion. Some series go on for too long but this was probably about right for the story the series told.

DWelbz19

Incredible show. Fantastic.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Half-way through I was wondering if I was going to be satisfied with the finale, and in the end... yeah. It was pretty damn fitting.

Loved it.

Oh yeah, and I also loved that they brought back the Season 2 intro music. I was hoping they would, since the second-to-last episode had the Season 1 tune. It just... fit. The Leftovers quietly turned into one of the best TV series I've ever seen.

PoTMS

Brilliant finale and brilliant series. Quite a turnaround considering Season 1 was, all things considered, a borefest.

A few things to note about the finale -
I'd have liked to seen Nora cross over into the other world. Another episode like International Assassin set in the other world would've been great.

Which begs the question was the scene intentionally left out by Lindelof? Could Nora have been making the story up? She did seem to exhale and lift her head up just before the chamber completely filled up with fluid, possibly leading to the physicists stopping the procedure. Again, just speculating but maybe some intentional ambiguity from Lindelof.

The synopsis for the episode - Nothing is answered. Everything is answered. Then it ends.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Brilliant finale and brilliant series. Quite a turnaround considering Season 1 was, all things considered, a borefest.

I'd have liked to seen Nora cross over into the other world. Another episode like International Assassin set in the other world would've been great.

Which begs the question was the scene intentionally left out by Lindelof? Could Nora have been making the story up? She did seem to exhale and lift her head up just before the chamber completely filled up with fluid, possibly leading to the physicists stopping the procedure. Again, just speculating but maybe some intentional ambiguity from Lindelof.

The synopsis for the episode - Nothing is answered. Everything is answered. Then it ends.
Either of the Nora options are possible. In the end it didn't matter to Kevin.

DWelbz19

It was absolutely intentional ambiguity. The show is rife with it. It's for the viewer to take how they please.

PoTMS

It was absolutely intentional ambiguity. The show is rife with it. It's for the viewer to take how they please.
Yeah, you're right, the more I think about it, the more obvious it was intentionally done like that. At least it was done the right way unlike Lost.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Season one definitely wasn't brilliant, and if it was as good as the other two it probably wouldn't have hemorrhaged so many viewers and always found itself on the cusp of being cancelled.

It did have some brilliant episodes though, notably the Matt one, the Nora one, and the flashback.

PoTMS

Season one definitely wasn't brilliant, and if it was as good as the other two it probably wouldn't have hemorrhaged so many viewers and always found itself on the cusp of being cancelled.

It did have some brilliant episodes though, notably the Matt one, the Nora one, and the flashback.
Yeah this is how pretty much I saw it. Some brilliant episodes mixed in between some very average dull ones. Compared to the other two seasons, it was quite boring. Nearly lost interest.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Great finale to a great show. I always thought it might have been what Nora said, that there was another 'reality' where they lost 98% of the population.

DWelbz19

I really enjoyed S1 as well. Naturally the show got tighter and dropped weaker plotlines - namely Jill and Tommy's - but S1 holds its own I feel.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Probably controversial but this is easily my top show of all time. Loved all three seasons. Great writing, directing and acting and was always full of surprises. I look forward to the earth 2 spin-off series ;-)
Your own personal opinion can't be controversial in this regard. We can't tell you what you like:lol:

jem

Probably controversial but this is easily my top show of all time. Loved all three seasons. Great writing, directing and acting and was always full of surprises. I look forward to the earth 2 spin-off series ;-)
I'm leaning the same way. I think it's hard to beat The Wire, given how spot on it is about so much of what ails society, but I've never seen a show hit the emotional heights that The Leftovers hits.

Prophet_of_Doom

I'm leaning the same way. I think it's hard to beat The Wire, given how spot on it is about so much of what ails society, but I've never seen a show hit the emotional heights that The Leftovers hits.
The thing with The Wire, its real grittiness meant that it was sometimes overly familiar/predictable. That's not a criticism per se, but the fact it was based in reality and pulled from real experiences meant that it trod the same path as many other shows (how many times have we seen the alcoholic cop, the by the books cop, the 'don't want to be here' cop, the good politician doing bad things as the only way to compete ... it's just that those things clearly exist in real life). That doesn't reduce it's brilliance and it still managed to punch you right in the gut plenty of times. But The Leftovers, there was a surprise round every corner, it was agonizingly unpredictable and yet it didn't feel cheap and gimmicky which is some balancing act.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Critical response
Rotten Tomatoes
Metacritic

Season 1 81% (60 reviews) 65/100 (42 reviews)

Season 2 93% (33 reviews) 80/100 (22 reviews)

Season 3 98% (28 reviews) 98/100 (17 reviews)

Metacritic is unecessarily harsh on Season 1 (and 2, honestly), but this pretty much tells the story of how great this show turned out to be.

Maxii

Paad
I'm absolutely devastated this is over. I only start watching it from the start last week and I managed to binge watch all three seasons up until just now. Easily one of my favourite TV shows ever. Some of the stuff was batshit crazy, but because they never took themselves too seriously and there was always some comedic gems in the middle of all the misery it always worked. I was worried that they'd never be able to explain what happened come the end, but the way they finished it was perfect.

Can't wait to finish off American God's now, but I'm going to find it tough to find anything new to top The Leftovers now :(. Sad that I managed to watch all three series in a week, but I was addicted. Haven't hardcore binged a show like that since The Wire.

CM10

Just watched episode 6 of season 3. Right in the feels, man.