Gaming The Legend of Zelda | Earthquake: "It's actually ridiculously good, and keeps getting better." ★★★★★

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It's not really as replayable as you'd expect from a great game, 2 years later and I'm still waiting to get the urge to play it again.
I'm not sure a great game has to be replayable. I can count on one hand the single player games I've played more than once.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I haven't found it replayable in the sense that I want to start the story over again or anything, but I think it's great for going around, just exploring and doing random stuff.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I haven't found it replayable in the sense that I want to start the story over again or anything, but I think it's great for going around, just exploring and doing random stuff.
Yeah which is why I'm a bit nonplussed that I can't tit about in the Ganonless world after. Unless you can and I'm missing something? Just would be a nice epilogue to check in at a few places after the climax. I thought it was quite abrupt. Either start a new game or continue from the last save with a * next to it. Meh. Deserved better than that.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Not knocking it but I don't think BotW has enough story to demand a replay. The only way I can imagine replaying myself would be the master quest DLC.

On another note, did anybody, like me, turn off the HUD and not realise you could use divine beast attacks for, uh, the entire game?

Last edited:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I didn't want to clutter the Cyberpunk thread more with this stuff: Am I the only one who didn't think the weapon durability system was awful in this? Yeah weapons might break very quickly from a realism point of view, but you find them absolutely everywhere and it's quick enough to change between them. I liked that I couldn't just use the same lynel weapon(s)/shield for the whole game but actually had to give some thought to when to use good weapons.

caid

I was fine with it, lower level weapons probably broke a bit too quickly

evil_geko

I didn't want to clutter the Cyberpunk thread more with this stuff: Am I the only one who didn't think the weapon durability system was awful in this? Yeah weapons might break very quickly from a realism point of view, but you find them absolutely everywhere and it's quick enough to change between them. I liked that I couldn't just use the same lynel weapon(s)/shield for the whole game but actually had to give some thought to when to use good weapons.
It's not about realism per se, and yeah there are always tons of weapons everywhere, it just becomes needless inventory management hassle in otherwise brilliant game.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I was fine with it. In a game like Animal Crossing it can be annoying when something breaks and you have to go and buy or make a new one since it can be a hassle if the shop's closed or you don't have the materials on you, but I always had so many weapons in BOTW that it didn't bother me at all, and if they didn't break I'd have spent too much time trying to choose between and organize them.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think people forget that the fighting system was actually deeper than most realised. They tried to have it both accessible to button mashers, but deeper for people used to stuff like souls by that point, and on that front I think they nailed it.

The weapon degradation was about forcing players into trying new things and surviving by learning new styles and plan B. Coupled with all the extremely cool things you could do, it made sense.

The problem I have with it is it went too far. Swords/metal weapons breaking after a few hits was way too over the top, what would have worked better would have been stuff like blunting them rather than breaking them. Would have forced players to try new things in the heat of the moment, but never left the player with the risk of nothing.

Maagge

It's not about realism per se, and yeah there are always tons of weapons everywhere, it just becomes needless inventory management hassle in otherwise brilliant game.
I never really saw it as inventory management. You only really have open your inventory for cooking and to change armour. The rest can be handled with the directional buttons. That's how I played anyway.

NinjaFletch

I never really saw it as inventory management. You only really have open your inventory for cooking and to change armour. The rest can be handled with the directional buttons. That's how I played anyway.
Eugh, I think I'd repressed that particular game mechanic.

Maagge

Eugh, I think I'd repressed that particular game mechanic.
:lol: I liked cooking as well. And if you didn't, you didn't have to use it. It just provided another way to clear different challenges.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Breath of the Wild fan pulls off perfect, no-damage run after 100+ tries
https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/3/22...switch-speedrun-100-percent-damageless-joedun

There is no force on Earth more patient than a video game speedrunner. In late January, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild expert joedun became the first person to ever complete a 100% speedrun of the game while taking zero damage, and while that’s a feat unto itself, the road there was grueling.
A 100% speedrun really does mean everything. You need to beat the game, yes, but you also need to collect all container upgrades, finish your adventure log, find all 900 Korok seeds, obtain all the key items, and fully upgrade every permanent weapon and armor — along with standard things, like beating every shrine.
And you need to do all of that without taking a single hit to your health points. In a game where it’s extremely easy to hurt yourself just trying to stasis a random object into the air, such a challenge might sound impossible.

Fecking nutter.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/3/22...switch-speedrun-100-percent-damageless-joedun

There is no force on Earth more patient than a video game speedrunner. In late January, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild expert joedun became the first person to ever complete a 100% speedrun of the game while taking zero damage, and while that’s a feat unto itself, the road there was grueling.
A 100% speedrun really does mean everything. You need to beat the game, yes, but you also need to collect all container upgrades, finish your adventure log, find all 900 Korok seeds, obtain all the key items, and fully upgrade every permanent weapon and armor — along with standard things, like beating every shrine.
And you need to do all of that without taking a single hit to your health points. In a game where it’s extremely easy to hurt yourself just trying to stasis a random object into the air, such a challenge might sound impossible.

Fecking nutter.
Feck me

Spoony

The People's President

Fecking nutter.

Mentalist. Why would you??

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I think this watching people try level one, no armour no hit full runs on dark souls. This though is in another galaxy level of hard

Ainu

That is just stupid. I mean fair fecks and everything, but there is absolutely no point including 900 Korok seeds in a no-damage run. Soul destroying tedium.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I think people forget that the fighting system was actually deeper than most realised. They tried to have it both accessible to button mashers, but deeper for people used to stuff like souls by that point, and on that front I think they nailed it.

The weapon degradation was about forcing players into trying new things and surviving by learning new styles and plan B. Coupled with all the extremely cool things you could do, it made sense.

The problem I have with it is it went too far. Swords/metal weapons breaking after a few hits was way too over the top, what would have worked better would have been stuff like blunting them rather than breaking them. Would have forced players to try new things in the heat of the moment, but never left the player with the risk of nothing.
I pretty much completed the game from using the master sword and bows and arrows.

Kept a few swords to troll around when a thunderstorm is near, I had fun attempting to get an entire camp of bokos getting struck by lightning while I used a korok leaf to fan them off the ledge :lol:

evil_geko

And I will be going back to BotW after I found this beautiful emulator option for the game. The biggest game weakness for me has been fixed and can finally enjoy it!

Maagge

And I will be going back to BotW after I found this beautiful emulator option for the game. The biggest game weakness for me has been fixed and can finally enjoy it!

What will you set it to?

b82REZ

And as a result probably never use a creative way to take out enemies.

The sooner you realise the weapons are expendable you'll get far more enjoyment out of it that hacking and slashing your way through the game.

Maagge

Clearly unbreakable
Really? Why not 5x or so? You'll just end up finding a good weapon and stick with it for the rest of the game. That will in turn mean almost everything you find will feel pointless including Korok seeds as you now don't need any extra inventory space.

elmo

And as a result probably never use a creative way to take out enemies.

The sooner you realise the weapons are expendable you'll get far more enjoyment out of it that hacking and slashing your way through the game.
I'm still trying to figure out a way to kill ganon using the trees :lol:

elmo

Really? Why not 5x or so? You'll just end up finding a good weapon and stick with it for the rest of the game. That will in turn mean almost everything you find will feel pointless including Korok seeds as you now don't need any extra inventory space.
That's everyone's main grief about the game, the constant need to find new weapons.

Personally I don't care much about the weapons as I like to try different ways to beat opponents.

Best way I tried so far was to wear the rubber suit in the middle of a thunder storm and connecting metal weapons to sleeping enemies and watch them get shocked :lol:

Maagge

That's everyone's main grief about the game, the constant need to find new weapons.

Personally I don't care much about the weapons as I like to try different ways to beat opponents.

Best way I tried so far was to wear the rubber suit in the middle of a thunder storm and connecting metal weapons to sleeping enemies and watch them get shocked :lol:
You do you. I'm just sure I'd be annoyed with finding a lot of stuff I wouldn't have any need for.

And yes, it's great fun using the thunderstorms to your advantage. I like to try and throw metal weapons at enemies right before lightning strikes. Of course that means I end up toast every now and then as well. :lol:
Come to think of it, I wonder if it's super powerful chucking a weapon struck by lightning at an enemy in the water?

Ainu

I didn't think there was ever an issue finding enough weapons, it's just that the constant inventory management was a pain. My weapon slots were almost always full, so finding a new weapon consistently resulted in having to navigate to your weapon slots, checking if it's better than your worst weapon, dropping said worst weapon and picking up the new weapon if necessary. That, coupled with the fact you couldn't instantly swap when opening a chest, made the whole system far more annoying than it should've been.

evil_geko

I don't mind weapon breaking mechanic, I will not set it to unbreakable, but when weapons literally break after several swings, you are having a laugh.

Will try it with 3x or something at first.

it's just that the constant inventory management was a pain.
This was my problem, I want to explore and enjoy the world, not constantly play inventory management.

Again, I have no problem with the mechanic, just needed a little tweak.

Maagge

I didn't think there was ever an issue finding enough weapons, it's just that the constant inventory management was a pain. My weapon slots were almost always full, so finding a new weapon consistently resulted in having to navigate to your weapon slots, checking if it's better than your worst weapon, dropping said worst weapon and picking up the new weapon if necessary. That, coupled with the fact you couldn't instantly swap when opening a chest, made the whole system far more annoying than it should've been.
I thought it was OK when picking up things lying on the ground, but yeah, a great quality of life improvement would've been to bring up your weapons and ask if you wanted to swap with any of them when opening a chest at full inventory.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I'm playing this for the first time since 2019 and I only ever played it on handheld or on my old 720p tv, this is my first time seeing it on my 4k tv. It looks so good. But apart from that I had almost forgot just how amazing it is. Can't wait for the sequel.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm playing this for the first time since 2019 and I only ever played it on handheld or on my old 720p tv, this is my first time seeing it on my 4k tv. It looks so good. But apart from that I had almost forgot just how amazing it is. Can't wait for the sequel.
I've been tempted to replay it but I wasn't sure how replayable it actually is once you generally know where everything is and the tricks behind it all.

Maagge

Yeah it really is a good looking game for the hardware it's on.

I hooked it up to my projector the other day to test it out and started a new game in Master Mode (which might have been a mistake :nervous:).

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I've been tempted to replay it but I wasn't sure how replayable it actually is once you generally know where everything is and the tricks behind it all.
You could maybe turn off the HUD and and map indicators etc if you hadn't previously done that to make you feel a bit more "lost" on a new play through?

Yeah it really is a good looking game for the hardware it's on.

I hooked it up to my projector the other day to test it out and started a new game in Master Mode (which might have been a mistake :nervous:).
:lol: I can imagine it's quite tough?

Maagge

You could maybe turn off the HUD and and map indicators etc if you hadn't previously done that to make you feel a bit more "lost" on a new play through?

:lol: I can imagine it's quite tough?
It is. There are no red enemies and they've put a lynel on The Great Plateau, the bastards. So to begin with you have to be really smart with your combat as your melee weapons won't be good enough for the blue bokoblins. If I have to fight it's all about using the environment.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
It is. There are no red enemies and they've put a lynel on The Great Plateau, the bastards. So to begin with you have to be really smart with your combat as your melee weapons won't be good enough for the blue bokoblins. If I have to fight it's all about using the environment.
Ahh right, that sounds like a bit much for me, I don't want to end up annoyed with the game :lol: Think I'll just stick to my original play through and just carry on with the random exploring and stuff.