Gaming The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

caid

Has anyone found the master sword? I think I’m on the right track, but may also be wasting my time.

I assume I need to farm the light dragon. I saw it once so far and have revisited the location dozens of times and haven’t seen it since. Frustrating…
Theres a lot of different paths to find it, some are easier to follow than others. The one you've picked is quite hard. It has a pretty huge flightpath. I'd try the northern edge of map if i was trying to just bump into it but maybe try another route. So yes to both being on the right track and wasting time? Maybe build a fire and timejump between morning, noon and night?

Last edited:

caid

Throwing a cannon on a spear is quite fun. Very overkill, very suicidal in enclosed spaces.

Hamnat

Finally find a Silver Lynel in the depths and get wrecked over and over. Had to come back loaded out with 30 minute gloom resistance. Use the environment to keep him off me. I didn't see how I could win if I let him touch me. But got my Silver saber now.

Posh Red

Theres a lot of different paths to find it, some are easier to follow than others. The one you've picked is quite hard. It has a pretty huge flightpath. I'd try the northern edge of map if i was trying to just bump into it but maybe try another route. So yes to both being on the right track and wasting time? Maybe build a fire and timejump between morning, noon and night?
Cheers. I think I need a break from this game :lol: I don’t want to progress the main quest any further but every other direction I take seems to hit a wall at the moment.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’m so shit at making stuff. I just put 4 big wheels on some wood, attached a pole on the front and stuck on a spear so it’s like a lance. Then I added a control stick and some fans at the back. fecking thing wouldn’t move? What did I do wrong? I tried changing the wheels to smaller wheels. The fans won’t even turn.

Tried another using a cart and adding a fan and turning stick. It got going but then didn’t move again after that. I also added a construct head and a cannon but it didn’t seem to aim at enemies. Just fired off to the left every time.

Hamnat

Are all the wheels pointing the same direction? If not then it wont move

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Are all the wheels pointing the same direction? If not then it wont move
Yeah this must be it. I've always had things work as intended. In that the wheels were spinning and rockets firing and koroks being blasted into walls.

I made a really crap amphibious vehicle yesterday which I was very proud of except for the time it took for my one fan to get me across Lake Hylia.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Has anyone found the master sword? I think I’m on the right track, but may also be wasting my time.

I assume I need to farm the light dragon. I saw it once so far and have revisited the location dozens of times and haven’t seen it since. Frustrating…

Several spoilers on this :

you need to complete the Impa main quest (the tears memories spread across the map). Once done, the light dragon will spawn in the far east of the map, the twirly land in the water.

you need an extra ring of stamina to get the sword. Make sure you have that before trying to obtain it

you have to go to the forest where the Koroks live. If you complete the main mission, the tree will help you track the light dragon, as it spontaneously goes around the map

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Okay wank fest aside, does anybody have any criticisms they'd like to share?

Mine would be the map feeling too similar to BotW and the combat being mechnically clunky with all the menu switching. I also don't really get why the depths exist but maybe I haven't got far enough in to appreciate/understand them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Mine would be the map feeling too similar to BotW and the combat being mechnically clunky with all the menu switching. I also don't really get why the depths exist but maybe I haven't got far enough in to appreciate/understand them.
I’m playing botw and I have a good few criticisms (and praise!) but I’ll reserve them for when I’ve finished.

Actually I’ll throw a small one out - there’s a side quest where this guy wants you to talk to his crush at the inn and the dialogue only triggers if you talk to her from the side of the Inn counter. Minor gripe I know but :mad:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

The control system is awful and Nintendo's lack of accessibility options in 2023 is shocking.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Having Ganon as the final villain, yet another time while they really dont have to

I feel the template of having 4 main story temples like in BOTW in roughly same places on the map felt a bit too uninspired. I feel 2 of them are impressive in puzzle solving though, but the main bosses and are not memorable and there arent mini bosses even though there are so few main dungeons. Controls are a bit of clusterfeck combined with the inventory management where you have like billion different items in the same place.

Maagge

I actually like revisiting the places and NPCs I know from the first.
With regards to menus, I'm mostly annoyed by fusing stuff to arrows. That list of stuff is simply too long. Luckily sorting by most used means you get the ones you like to the front but it limits your desire to try new stuff out.
I'm also not a huge fan of the depths currently, but at least it feels genuinely claustrophobic and like you can't just runaway if you get in trouble.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I have to admit that after beating the main story i have found it difficult to back to. Clearing a shrine yesterday with my 9 year old nephew was more fun than allnthe ones done alone.

decorativeed

Mine is similar to the first game, I get that weapons will break, but why not default onto the next one in your inventory (and allow custom sorting of that) rather than leave you empty handed during a battle?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I’m playing botw and I have a good few criticisms (and praise!) but I’ll reserve them for when I’ve finished.

Actually I’ll throw a small one out - there’s a side quest where this guy wants you to talk to his crush at the inn and the dialogue only triggers if you talk to her from the side of the Inn counter. Minor gripe I know but :mad:
Is that the one where you have to collect 100 items for them? If so, feck that mission.

Had a right mare in the Lemoi sky labrynth. I spent an hour going around it, trying to find the points I needed to get to but without any guidance. Little did I know I needed to select the mission in the pause menu to find where I needed to go, which then took me 5 minutes to complete :/

Maagge

Is that the one where you have to collect 100 items for them? If so, feck that mission.
The guy, who has quite good dialogue incidentally, wants to give his crush 100 crickets. You only need to help him by bringing 10. So it's very manageable.

The 55 rushrooms were way more annoying.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Hyrule is perfect for me because I did not clock that many hours in BOTW so it still feels fresh, and sky islands are gorgeous and great to explore. I can see how someone who spent 50+ hours in BOTW and discovered the whole map would feel underwhelmed, for me vast majority of it is still new and haven't been visited before (I went to Eventide Island the other day, amazing) - and I played BOTW relatively recently.

However depths are excessive and boring. I'd rather they made them much smaller and only put them under certain areas, but had them done properly with settlements, villages, something remotely interesting other than monsters and that freaky mud. I also wish they developed towns a little more and added some features / side stories / mini games.

Still, no game has captured me to this extent for a long time, or possibly ever.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

The one dungeon I did so far was better than BotW but still far from typical zelda dungeons. Give me small keys, mini boss, special item to find after the mini boss, boss key and then memorable boss fights.

That's the only one I have though. Think the map is fantastic, think it's different enough from BotW but also a positive in that it is the same world, the shrines are excellent IMO, the weapon durability is less annoying just by being more interesting and varied. The sky lands are great and I enjoy the depths too.

Also Agree with adding things on arrows being extremely annoying, they should've split in in groups and tiers with how they change your arrow (group all items that give fire effect together, and then water or electric effect below it, pure damage below it, etc).

Basically it would be the greatest game ever for me if they nailed the dungeons. Still up there, but there's a few to go between.

bosnian_red

I started off at the korok forest and got a quest to find it where they put a marker of where it is. Pretty straightforward from there.
you land on the dragon, jump from the sky lands, and just pull it out. There are minimum requirements to grab it, but not the same req as in BotW.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The horse race with the cargo that slides off is trying to give me an aneurysm.

Hamnat

Even though this is currently my game of the year easily. There are valid criticisms as well. Horses and the controls for them are just absolutely awful in this game. Horses and mounts in general have been done far better and more precise controls etc in many different games now. These horses are just excessively difficult to manuever and control. And I legit only use them when I have too for a quest. There is no reason for that.

Others have talked about the menus and inventories. I agree there is so many items so many varieties they should have done a better job separating things. I am mid fight and trying to use a specific item with a arrow or throw it. Your best bet is sorting 'Most used' but even that sometimes is clunky when I need to go deeper for the item I'm looking for. I rarely use Rubies for example but they blow things up better than bomb arrows a lot of times. So the occasion I really want the bigger rarer item I have to excessively scroll while wasting my mid air hang time.

The BIGGEST thing I would critique is how they do the sage powers. I want them on call on a single button each. Right now, I am in a hectic fight and you kind of have to chase down the sage you want and then quickly aim the power in some cases. That is just clunky. Many fights I just dont use them unless their paths just happen to cross me. I would love to be able to at will call on the Sage ability I want quickly whenever I want. This would be a game changer for me in a hectic fight like coliseum battles where I dont have time to chase down my sage of choice AND fight, AND eat, or choose inventory items to fuse or throw.

Another minor gripe about sage's they attack things I dont want them too yet sometimes. Even killing things I would rather they let me do what I want with them first. I get around it sometimes by hiding around a corner so they don't have line of sight immediately till I get what I want before they attack.

Last edited:

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
The guy, who has quite good dialogue incidentally, wants to give his crush 100 crickets. You only need to help him by bringing 10. So it's very manageable.

The 55 rushrooms were way more annoying.

Ah yes was thinking totk's similar mission. Botw was kind with 10, whereas totk is 100 frogs, mental.
I started off at the korok forest and got a quest to find it where they put a marker of where it is. Pretty straightforward from there.
you land on the dragon, jump from the sky lands, and just pull it out. There are minimum requirements to grab it, but not the same req as in BotW.
Yeah I've put the best way of doing it if you don't get the light dragon when it first appears. Getting to Korok forest is a pain if you don't find the way through the first time.
The horse race with the cargo that slides off is trying to give me an aneurysm.
You need a horse with good pull level for it to be a breeze. Otherwise it's a pain and a half.

b82REZ

Stumbled on Autobuild before.

I really don't get what people get out of looking all these things up on guides. Its added so much more the game organically discovering these things.

bosnian_red

Ah yes was thinking totk's similar mission. Botw was kind with 10, whereas totk is 100 frogs, mental.

Yeah I've put the best way of doing it if you don't get the light dragon when it first appears. Getting to Korok forest is a pain if you don't find the way through the first time.

You need a horse with good pull level for it to be a breeze. Otherwise it's a pain and a half.
Didn't have any issues to get to korok forest? I went in

through the depths, the chasm right next to the entrance. The hassle was dealing with the hands and phantom Ganon, but not the hands were much worse than Ganon I thought. So tight down there.
Not sure if there is a way to do it normally or if you get a quest later, I've barely done any story and was just exploring and getting shrines and towers to open the full map.

Hamnat

Pristine weapons...

Just started trying to get the clean uncorrupted weapons off the ghosts in the underworld. Some of those fused are like maybe a point shy of being the best weapons you can get. I didn't even know what the ghosts were for really.

Posh Red

I can’t get through the forest annoyingly. No idea what to do, and I really am doing my best to avoid looking up the solution. I even managed to basically land in the middle by jumping from a sky island, but the moment you hit the ground it sends you back, or course.

bosnian_red

I can’t get through the forest annoyingly. No idea what to do, and I really am doing my best to avoid looking up the solution. I even managed to basically land in the middle by jumping from a sky island, but the moment you hit the ground it sends you back, or course.
There is a way to get there... But yeah you can't fly in or walk in like the last game. Look around the entrance for ideas.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Didn't have any issues to get to korok forest? I went in

through the depths, the chasm right next to the entrance. The hassle was dealing with the hands and phantom Ganon, but not the hands were much worse than Ganon I thought. So tight down there.
Not sure if there is a way to do it normally or if you get a quest later, I've barely done any story and was just exploring and getting shrines and towers to open the full map.
No, that is the way, I just tried the botw way for ages and didn't clock on the new abilities would help me!

caid

A lot of the mechanics are clunky really. Theres thousands of annoying little quirks to the controls and the engine in terms of stability. But they just dont hurt the experience for me.
Its kind of breath of the wild 2, it isn't as much of a reimagining as previous games maybe. But it is a brilliant sequel and after the success of the first they'd be kind of crazy to mess with the formula too much. They've done a good job refining and adding to it. Its not as much of a breath of fresh air as the first though in terms of impact.
Its too addictive and I could probably do with playing it less at this point.

I feel like the depths are a bit of a sidequest, experimental endgame kind of deal.
The enemies being tougher, the darkness can make it feel a lot more hostile and dangerous. Frox was the first miniboss i ran into in the game and it was kind of terrifying seeing something huge bouncing around in the dark just beyond the light. Felt dark soulsy for a minute (even murdered me immediately like their bosses). Its where the game really gets to showing off with the ultrahand building part of the game too. And thats got a lot of depth so i think people might come around to it if they give it a bit of time.

caid

Stumbled on Autobuild before.

I really don't get what people get out of looking all these things up on guides. Its added so much more the game organically discovering these things.
I stumbled straight past autobuild to the lightroot, then stumbled around it to the 5 other things right next to it and on to more statues leading elsewhere. I then stumbled past it about 5 more times on my way somewhere else. (hero tracking thing is great)
I mean the game tells you how to find it. If you follow where the first set of statues is pointing it leads directly to it. I just feel that was badly conveyed in ways. I largely agree on organically discovering things but I think getting autobuild and the quest associated with it relatively early in exploring the depths would be a better progression through it.
Because my experience was finding a mine and the npc saying come back after you've been to the central mine. Then finding 7+ other mines all saying the same thing. Stumbling on yiga bases left right and centre and getting plans for autobuild without autobuild. When i did discover autobuild i just teleported around the map and had the quest done in about 20 minutes.
Theres a lot of stuff tucked away down there and secrets to stumble on and discover. Looking for them with autobuild makes it more fun.
Then theres locking other parts of the game behind you discovering autobuild. Follow the first set of statues is good advice imo

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Ffs this worked a little bit too well :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Filmed this to show to my girlfriend the other day but thought it might be worth sharing here too. Please forgive the embarrassing laugh :)

Winced when I saw one wheel was on backwards :lol: