The Longstaff brothers

Nick7

I know we're shit but honestly I'm just soooooooo tired of these average british midfielders in underwhelming teams like West Ham, Newcastle and Crystal Palace raising their game solely against Manchester United. I'm even more tired of them getting a thread of their own as if they are an option for this club.
They absolutely did not raise their game against us.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
They absolutely did not raise their game against us.
We don't know what Matt's level is but they both played pretty well. I agree it wasn't a game-raise by any stretch, indeed our entire issue in games in a nutshell is that average/poor teams have a chance against us when they play competently. We're so passive that the basics done reasonably well are enough to put any opponent in the match against this United.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It was inevitable that a league debut guy would score the winner.
Just inevitable.

It says it all that a manager as poor in the Premier league as Brucie felt he could give a teenager a debut against us!

Nickosaur

Thought Sean has had a pretty poor start to the season? But looked good yesterday.

Not sure if either are the answer to United's problems but they do look like very good talents.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Fair play to Bruce for gambling with them. Matty had never played a PL game and was thrown in despite having Shelvey on the bench. I'd like to see a bit more of that bravery from us.

ottosec

They're average players, but against us every donkey looks like Robson.

Acole9

Outstanding
The weight of that pass from Sean Longstaff to Almiron was splendid.

buckooo1978

if we bought every midfielder who bossed our midfield this year we'd have 20 midfielders on the books

Robbie Boy

Didn't think much of either to be completely honest, not to mention the fact they were up against literally a non-existent midfield.

Bobski

The ginger one is an unfortunate looking lad, those lengthy eye lashes disturbed me, brought a red tinted catfish to mind.

Decent young players though.

UpWithRivers

I guess we now have two midfield targets. Whichever one we get for 80 mill plus will be the sht one. The other one will go to Liverpool for 10 mill and turn out to be a once in a generation talent.

dbs235

I didn't think either of them were particularly impressive. Backs to the wall terrier like performance by both. Nothing that indicated either were destined for playing at a higher level.
I know what you mean, this is how I feel about McTominay for us. He's stood out this season because in a team that is absolutely dire he's charged around a bit and won a few tackles, played a few passes and scored that goal against Arsenal. But he's not good enough to be United level - which is title/UCL challenging level. The Longstaff brothers obviously wouldn't be either. 10 years ago we could compete against Barca etc. That's the standard we need to be aiming for with signings.

MrBest

Seriously, even a duo of tom cleverley and darren gibson would look world class playing against us. That newcastle team is terrible, they made us look like a league one team.

AP88

Supports
Man City
The Prince Harry and Prince William of football. Where was Paul Scholes 20 years ago when Matthew was conceived?
Said the same thing in the matchday thread. Beyond the goal and the passing, there was a point in the first half where he did a little Cruyff turn in the exact same manner Scholes used to.

Adcuth

Can we have a poll on who is uglier. Mathew Longstaff or Luke Chadwick?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Didn't think much of either to be completely honest, not to mention the fact they were up against literally a non-existent midfield.
Agree. I wasn't particularly impressed. They just played against a team that was clueless.

starman

I would definitely been concerned living near Matt, strong Children of the Damned vibes from him..

GBBQ

Agree. I wasn't particularly impressed. They just played against a team that was clueless.
You weren't particularly impressed with a 19 year old debutant who bossed the midflield, scored the winning goal and hit the bar with the second best chance of the game? Tough crowd.

amolbhatia50k

You weren't particularly impressed with a 19 year old debutant who bossed the midflield, scored the winning goal and hit the bar with the second best chance of the game? Tough crowd.
I didn't think we were playing against potential world beaters, no. And, he/they bossed a nothing midfield and a ripped up team. Rather wait and see how both do in the longer run to judge whether they are proper talents.

GBBQ

I didn't think we were playing against potential world beaters, no. And, he/they bossed a nothing midfield and a ripped up team. Rather wait and see how both do in the longer run to judge whether they are proper talents.
Ah i know, I was being facetious. I think Matty in particular did as well as could be expected but long term he'll have tougher tests if he is to be a top class player.

amolbhatia50k

How highly are him and his brother regarded among Newcastle fans?

amolbhatia50k

Ah i know, I was being facetious. I think Matty in particular did as well as could be expected but long term he'll have tougher tests if he is to be a top class player.
They both did well against us. It's just difficult to judge opposition players unless they do exceptionally well (stand out with incredible qualities) as I'm (don't know about others) usually focusing on us and our problems.

Look forward to seeing how both do over the course of the season. The Newcastle players certainly seemed very happy for him.

Sea-Cow

McTominay is better than both
Yes I am aware of who his partner was, but I am not sure I agree with this.

It looked pretty even to me, if not favoring the Newcastle brothers.

Classical Mechanic

He also created one of their best chances with a cross for Carroll and showed some nice long passing at times. The weirdest thing in this thread is people judging Matt Longstaff’s level when he’s played a single bloody league game in his career so far.

Sea-Cow

Any comments on how they faired against Chelsea? I was glad to see that they both retained their starting spots, and it looks like they kept Chelsea out until the 73rd minute. But thats all I know.