Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
'Amazon's LOTR series will be set in Middle Earth and explore new storylines preceding Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. The deal includes a potential additional spinoff series.'

Thoughts?

We need an rvn

lord of the rings is a classic novel which turned into an amazing few films, leave it there. Don't know what they'll achieve with this but just sounds like a money spinner. Not a fan, but then wasn't a fan of the hobit movies either.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Wow, starved of high fantasy television then LotR, Wheel of Time and Witcher all at once.

DWelbz19

Depends on budget
It came with an upfront rights payment said to be in the $200 – $250 million range, and I hear Amazon landed the rights by paying close to $250 million. That is just for the rights, before any costs for development, talent and production, in proposition whose finances industry observers called “insane.” It is a payment that is made sight unseen as there is no concept, and there are no creative auspices attached to the possible series. On top of that, the budget for a fantasy series of that magnitude is likely to be $100-$150 million a season.
Oh.
RedSky said:
and when they're going to set the show. Difficult to pull off I think.
Yeah, it could literally be anything. Obtaining Tolkien estate blessing is interesting... There's a chance this could just be brand new fresh material set within the confines of LOTR lore. Which could be... Eh.

DWelbz19

Wow, starved of high fantasy television then LotR, Wheel of Time and Witcher all at once.
Quietly optimistic. Let's just hope the market doesn't become oversaturated and stale in the way the superhero genre has gone.

Stringer

The Silmarillion could be amazing but it will need a huge budget.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Theoretically I'm sure a worthwhile television series set in middle earth is possible.

This'll be crap though.

Oo0AahCantona

Worries me as id agree its going to be very hard to pull off, and could stain some of the legacy if its rubbish.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Quietly optimistic. Let's just hope the market doesn't become oversaturated and stale in the way the superhero genre has gone.
Quietly is right, I'm holding out a bit of hope for Who Fears Death because it's in the most capable hands (relatively) but I think combinations of middling quality/budgeting issues will be more prominent problems than fantasy-fatigue.

arthurka

Oh please... 20 hours in six motion pictures LOTR and The Hobbit that could have been decent if they had been cut down to 12 hours.. Not sure I need more of this but anyone to their own I guess..

Giggsy92

Does preceding the Fellowship mean between the Hobbit and the Fellowship? Hoping for something like the War of the Last Alliance myself but if they want to feature the famous characters I guess it'll be something like Aragorn's ranger days. Whatever they do it can't be worse than the Hobbit trilogy at least.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
What I like about it is that it's got the basic storyline structured out but with freedom of being able to create dialogue and new characters.
Yeah they'll have to do that, as it is all the characters are two-dimensional and the story is almost biblical - would definitely need to be scaled down for TV.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Obviously apart from the Silmarillion the appendices of LOTR are full of potentially great series from the second and third ages. Downfall of Numenor with Sauron corrupting the Numenoreans would be epic, but I think even just focusing on events between the Hobbit and FOTR could be great.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
There is nothing on Amazon Prime in the UK. Hope they bother making it

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Silmarillion tales are, most of them, in a darker mood than the Lotr and Hobbit series. So I'm a bit sceptical if they could do it proper justice with a commercially oriented tv series.

Would love to see Children of Húrin on the big screen but can't see the poetic tragedy being translated that well, sadly.

Trizy

How is it possible to carry on a great story that has already ended?

Anyway, if Game of Thrones can happen with pure fantasy story line then of course LoTR can. Will it be good though? god knows.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Black Sails
That’s actually next on my watch list.

I’m concerned mainly about the budget for this LOtR, because it’ll be constantly compared to the quality of the movies.

Revan

Assumptionman
Pleased to hear that the story won't be the story of the main books. Too early for that (and I think that the movies are amazing).

It would really be interesting to see if/when this go on. There are too many fantasy sagas whose rights have been bought, but who are in limbo state. I heard that amazon payed circa 200m for this, so surely, this will start soon.

Revan

Assumptionman
We're at least getting a movie with promising production behind it which might lend to a series.
To be fair, Dune goes to shit after the first book (and becomes ridiculous after the second), so better a great movie than a series which in order to not be shit, needs to be totally different after the first/second season.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Any news on The Witcher lately?
Only a bit so far (source):

Andrzej Sapkowski (writer of the book series) will be heavily involved as a creative consultant and says he's looking forward to the project 'staying true to his source material and themes'. (Apparently he was less than impressed with CDPR's realisation of his themes and characters. Also a lil salty that the games have influenced his story's reach more than the books on their own merit.)

Sean Daniel and Jason Brown (The Expanse) will co-produce with Platige Image

The series will start with a movie (source).
Sean Daniel Company (The Mummy franchise), is working on a movie based on the Witcher novels with Polish film company Platige Image.

The film will be directed by Tomasz Bagiński. Bagiński also did cinematics for the Witcher games and is currently the creative director at Platige Image.

Thania St. John (Buffy) is attached to the project to script, but no casting details have yet been announced.

Will be based on "themes from" the short stories "The Witcher" and "Lesser Evil."

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Looking at that OP again. It mentions before Fellowship of the Ring but not before The Hobbit. You'd think they'd mention Hobbit if it was going to be back in the 2nd Age or 1st Age.

Fingeredmouse

I can't believe that Christopher Tolkien would allow this. Is it part of the Jackson Universe? If it's the sane rights as the films, they can't touch anything from the Silmarillion unless it's in the LOTR appendicies. So that leaves them with a fairly narrow window - original material would be very risky.

DWelbz19

I can't believe that Christopher Tolkien would allow this. Is it part of the Jackson Universe? If it's the sane rights as the films, they can't touch anything from the Silmarillion unless it's in the LOTR appendicies. So that leaves them with a fairly narrow window - original material would be very risky.
I alluded to something similar a little higher up the page — The Tolkien estate have supposedly signed off in agreement.

Revan

Assumptionman
Only a bit so far (source):

Andrzej Sapkowski (writer of the book series) will be heavily involved as a creative consultant and says he's looking forward to the project 'staying true to his source material and themes'. (Apparently he was less than impressed with CDPR's realisation of his themes and characters. Also a lil salty that the games have influenced his story's reach more than the books on their own merit.)

Sean Daniel and Jason Brown (The Expanse) will co-produce with Platige Image

The series will start with a movie (source).
Sapkowski is the worst. The number of books he sold skyrocketed after the games, as did the popularity of those books. No way that his series of books would get a TV show in US if it wasn't for the game. For whatever reasons, he didn't like that they continued the story of the games, in addition to being old school (games are for kids) and having sold the rights for little money instead of percentage.

His books are very good and there is potential for a good TV show there, but I really hope that they don't alter the story of the games just to satisfy his ego. They should either finish the show when the last book finished, or continue with the story of the games.

Fingeredmouse

I alluded to something similar a little higher up the page — The Tolkien estate have supposedly signed off in agreement.
Wow. I am astonished. Is Christopher not in control anymore (he must be ancient) or does mean it's being done in a manner they'd approve of I wonder.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Very worried, yet incredibly excited about this. Miss having my lord of the rings fix..

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
To be fair, Dune goes to shit after the first book (and becomes ridiculous after the second), so better a great movie than a series which in order to not be shit, needs to be totally different after the first/second season.
Nah, 2nd book is great as well. 3rd is fine and not shit. Disagree with you there.