Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Not sure about that. Thought the torches appearing over the hill one by one was great tension.

Godfather

Not sure about that. Thought the torches appearing over the hill one by one was great tension.
Yeah my wifey said exactly the same I didn't feel anything. Helm's Deep. Now that was tension. This was just some 20 odd orcs running a hill up with torches.

Just to add: still think that the show is alright. It just fails at some things that prevent it from being really good.

Last edited:

caid

Yeah my wifey said exactly the same I didn't feel anything. Helm's Deep. Now that was tension. This was just some 20 odd orcs running a hill up with torches.

Just to add: still think that the show is alright. It just fails at some things that prevent it from being really good.
I feel similarly but its gradually sneaking its way up a couple of marks as the weeks go by. Adar has been quite good. Its difficult not to be impressed by the spectacle.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Can anyone highlight the swap over of the hilt, from Arondir's possession to the old creepy bloke? I've watched this twice now and cant see how it would have happened

Godfather

Can anyone highlight the swap over of the hilt, from Arondir's possession to the old creepy bloke? I've watched this twice now and cant see how it would have happened
No idea. Seemed quite random.

Overall probably the best episode yet. Would have wished for more tension but still decent.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
In a slight way I’m in a ways seeing both sides of the arguments when it comes to this show

I’m delighted it exits, it looks amazing, is very interesting for me as a lotr fan, I am genuinely excited each week for a new episode

The other side though, I think there here is no one in the show I feel overly fond of like I’m rooting for them. So it has failed in that respect

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
When did Adar tell the old creepy bloke (who I keep thinking is called Baldrick) that he had a task for him? Was it before or after he took it from Theo? If it was after then surely the swap occurs right then off screen. Otherwise we have to assume that Baldrick and Adar swapped the hilt with the axe in the moments before the Numenorians arrived. Baldrick escaping isn't a big deal given he's a local he'd know how to avoid detection.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
If I remember right Theo was watching him leave to hide the hilt, I just assumed he followed him. Wasn't explained at all within the episode though.
Aye, that was my conclusion too, you do see Theo watching him and the hilt has a ring type sway over Theo so no doubt he followed to see where it was hidden. But it was a moment when you had to assume things happened off screen. I imagine there were moments that were cut to keep the run time down and that was one of them, which was an error.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
When did Adar tell the old creepy bloke (who I keep thinking is called Baldrick) that he had a task for him? Was it before or after he took it from Theo? If it was after then surely the swap occurs right then off screen. Otherwise we have to assume that Baldrick and Adar swapped the hilt with the axe in the moments before the Numenorians arrived. Baldrick escaping isn't a big deal given he's a local he'd know how to avoid detection.
He tells him he has a task for him just as the Numenoreans arrive, so it has already been swapped out at that point and Adar is essentially a decoy.
The other side though, I think there here is no one in the show I feel overly fond of like I’m rooting for them. So it has failed in that respect
I know what you mean, I keep trying to remind myself of how invested I was in the Starks after episode 6 of Game of Thrones... But the truth is that I don't actually remember.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Aye, that was my conclusion too, you do see Theo watching him and the hilt has a ring type sway over Theo so no doubt he followed to see where it was hidden. But it was a moment when you had to assume things happened off screen. I imagine there were moments that were cut to keep the run time down and that was one of them, which was an error.
My major gripe was why the feck did he hide it in there of all places...

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Ahhh yes I remember that dualogue, spot on there! Thanks a bunch, that solves that mystery for me.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
It was ridiculously obvious though.

people scratching their heads around that is worrying. Same as how the old man got the dagger.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It was ridiculously obvious though.

people scratching their heads around that is worrying. Same as how the old man got the dagger.
Plus it is a strong magical object that cannot be destroyed by normal means, like one in the movies. And that one also had people missing it when it was gone, like Theo talked about later.

The ring wanted to be found; we don’t know exactly if that was the case here but it didn’t really need to be spelled out regardless.

Blood Mage

It's been a bumpy road so far but this latest ep was legitimately excellent IMO.

In the show's defence we haven't even seen Sauron's rise to power yet so I wouldn't expect any big, epic battles for a while. This was just a skirmish.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I enjoyed that. Didn’t think we would see any battles on tv of that scale for a long time after GoT ended so in that aspect it was cool. Still a lot of hammy things like the dialogue and acting but if you don’t take it too seriously it’s really good fun.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
There was a lot wrong with this episode.
Numenoreans just randomly galloping into town like they knew the script - why were they arriving in such a hurry and how did they know to be in the one place in the Southlands where the action was? Awful dialogue. Girl boss high fiving. Water setting off a volcano. The sword hilt having a stupid purpose. The now irritating teasing of Halbrand as Sauron. The Flash Gordon ending. Did I mention the dialogue? The absolute stupidity of the tactics on all sides. The underwhelming battle scenes compared to the lower budget Peter Jackson movies or GoT.

But mostly I just don't believe in or care about these characters. I'm just watching as a chore at this point because I like Tolkien and I want to see what they do with this.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Numenoreans just randomly galloping into town like they knew the script - why were they arriving in such a hurry and how did they know to be in the one place in the Southlands where the action was? Awful dialogue. Girl boss high fiving. Water setting off a volcano. The sword hilt having a stupid purpose. The now irritating teasing of Halbrand as Sauron. The Flash Gordon ending. Did I mention the dialogue? The absolute stupidity of the tactics on all sides. The underwhelming battle scenes compared to the lower budget Peter Jackson movies or GoT.

But mostly I just don't believe in or care about these characters. I'm just watching as a chore at this point because I like Tolkien and I want to see what they do with this.
I think your mind was already made up and you’ve set out to be angry

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Thinking about giving this a go but seeing the feedback on here has been mixed from week to week. For those watching both, are you enjoying this more or House of the Dragon?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

I am surprised with your tagline that you’re not familiar with the relative specific heat capacities of water and silicate lavas. That’s a big part of Tolkien lore. I am just kidding I don’t even remember what that means.
Thinking about giving this a go but seeing the feedback on here has been mixed from week to week. For those watching both, are you enjoying this more or House of the Dragon?
Hot D is the sophisticated delicacy like foie gras or sea urchin, this is candy corn and and caramel popcorn…not that there’s anything wrong with that. Except candy corn, I mean that stuff is just weird.

Tyrion

Definitely House of Dragon. The characters are more interesting, the plot is both more surprising and more logical and its moving at a quicker pace. RoP has 4 different stoeylines and only 2 have really intersected. HotD is all about one royal family in one court.

RoP is brighter but a bit dumber.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I am surprised with your tagline that you’re not familiar with the relative specific heat capacities of water and silicate lavas. That’s a big part of Tolkien lore. I am just kidding I don’t even remember what that means.

Hot D is the sophisticated delicacy like foie gras or sea urchin, this is candy corn and and caramel popcorn…not that there’s anything wrong with that. Except candy corn, I mean that stuff is just weird.
I highly doubt that

Resonance

I feel HotD started strongly but took a bit of a dip with the last episode whereas RoP started slowly but has steadily improved with each episode.

Initially I was enjoying HotD more but I like them equally now.

roseguy64

Yeah at least half of what you've written there is wrong or easily explained. Not gonna bother though.

Fully Fledged

The latest episode was pretty good, but still some silly moments in it.

I think the Galadriel character is really poorly written, she is like a stroppy teenager with OP skills, jarring to watch. And yeah stupid how she tries to save the bad guy one minute then is threatening to kill him the next.
They should have killed him. Letting him live and escape only to come back and cause the death of thousands is a trope that is far too overused in action movies.

Eriku

Just out of interest, how did you find the Hobbit? This is an absolute treat by comparison, and these guys have no real source material for the meat on those bones, so it feels less sacrilegious to me.