Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Somehow I never really enjoy Anime and there are some interesting shows and movies I feel sure I want to watch. Personally I'd prefer the original actors, I think it would be 100% believable then :lol: - They're all still alive?

I think when you enjoy a book so much, any book that you invest in and - we can't just have enjoyed LotR - it means so much to us from early ages we so want every detail to be included, and I get this cheated emotion when it isn't, I have to ignore it after a minute or it's no longer ours is it? You grow to accept it but it's always going to be a little disappointment or niggle.

I'm virtually certain we could get £20bil if we set up a GoFundMe page!

edit - watch it, there'll be niggles. Wouldn't be life if there weren't. I think it's great for now.
I enjoy the audio books, some readers act out the lines for each character more than others, but considering I have the visuals in my head is very satisfying for me. Closest thing.

Someone took the sound effects and music from the movie and made an unauthorized quasi-audiobook, with details like foot splashes and the creaking of carts, pretty good voice actor, it was really great. YouTube took it down of course.

I would pay serious money to get that sort of version for ASOIAF.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Doesn't matter if it was a quality show, people would still find issues with it because it's an Amazon product. This was made extremely obvious given the reaction to the show before the first episode was even released.

They do need to up their marketing strategy though, it was horrendous.

Spark

Doesn't matter if it was a quality show, people would still find issues with it because it's an Amazon product. This was made extremely obvious given the reaction to the show before the first episode was even released.

They do need to up their marketing strategy though, it was horrendous.
People (i.e. IMDB voters giving it loads of 1/10s) hated it because of the diverse cast first and foremost and that fanned the flames. The show does have obvious issues, but I don't think it being on Amazon necessarily had an immediate impact, as they've released a few highly rated shows. One major issue is that it's supposedly the most expensive show ever made and it looks poor, all things considered. It had a Wheel of Time quality to it and having watched The Fellowship of the Ring the other day, the TV show honestly pales in comparison - and the film came out 22 years ago.

We were promised an epic and got given something good, but way below overall expectations. I reckon it's around 7/10. And yeah, Amazon marketing is shit.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Honestly, I only mention 911 and The Mentalist because I'm lazy. All I seem to see on the TV Listings being Police Procedurals and Police Chasing Scroats documentaries and that has to be cheap as chips.

I was a big fan of Firefly by Joss Whedon, when it was cancelled after one series the noise from fans a bit more invested than me seemed shocking. Of course they seemed noisy but they could have been the only ones who cared enough to be noisy.

If we want shit TV I'm sure we can run expensive interesting projects out of town on a pole. But them we're gonna be left with the cheap stuff that ends up on every channel. Amazon and Netflix at least have the money to try, while every other channel on Sky etc just dilutes the shit.

We get what we pay for, or not, if we start saying stuff is too expensive for us to watch where will it end, cheaper football clubs?
First of all: I'm happy you can enjoy the show. Second: I did it too at times but really had to switch my brain off - not a good thing really and since I do like Tolkien and Fantasy settings in general I'm kinda engaged in this discussion.

But I'm not sure I totally get where you're coming from. I haven't seen somebody blasting the show because it was expensive. It got called out because it's not good enough (imho) and cost a ton on top of that. Where is the point exactly in saying: keep quiet although there are glaring holes in this production - they may cancel the next season. Honestly, with that kind of investment and pull it'd be very surprising if they don't chew out a couple of seasons more. And as far as I understood they butcher Tolkiens general storyline with no remorse so they can invent all kinds of stuff to keep this going. Of course, people calling it out because of black skinned Elves or Dwarfs or because of some Feminism or so called "woke" stuff I find totally annoying but if a show gets called out because it's ultimately shallow with lots left to desire in the acting and writing department I'm all on board. I can equally accuse you of supporting the "no-risk, dumbed down, shallow written entertainment show with bombastic effects to cover up the lack of true innovation and soul" like we everywhere else in abundance already. But that's it from me, I'm just a bit disappointed because the potential is clearly there. As the Hobbit was a major step down (imho) from LotR and also a huge feck off to the original book this is another step down.

I hear you on Firefly though. Never really got into it but got told by some it was a great show.

Last edited:

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I think it's people from the same group. Well according to Forbes. I'm not sure why anyone other than Tolkien fans would care about the colour of Durian's wife.
I didnt, I thought she was fine in the role. The dwarf stuff I thought was some of the best parts of the show. But then someone else made the point about how every village we see is a melting pot ethnicities, races, whatever. And if you contrast that with game of thrones, its off somewhat. Game of thrones had people looking and sounding like where they came from. You could tell just by looking if someone was from the the north or from Dorne. The casting was very much on purpose to create a living breathing real world to get lost in. Does it matter what colour a characters skin is in the show? Not really. As long as the actor does a good job thats all that matters. But as people love to say, its the little things that made a world feel real. Other than the accents, ROP characters could be from anywhere. I think in an effort to be as diverse as possible, ROP missed a big opportunity to expand the world of middle earth and explore the other races of men.

And then theres the big one. They say they want this show to flow into the movies. So that means at some point between the end of this series and the start of the movies, theres a massive genocide of black people. Thats kinda awkward, no?

I'm not an expert on the difference between movie and TV quality of this type of project and although I expect it can't be difficult to understand I'm certain you know a lot more than me. My thinking is that most of that 1bil went to the cgi people, the list always seems endless.

All I keep thinking is that people are saying this and that were shocking and I don't recall anything shocking apart from the brilliance in getting the story out.

If more people don't like it then it'll not see a second series which will be a disappointment. 1 billion sounds shocking but I expect thats going to become quite normal unless everyone wants everything of the 911 and The Mentalist type quality.

edit. On thinking about it I do think that Elrond was a bit dodgy, looked more surprised than shocked in his scenes but it's by degrees only I expect.
We will be seeing all 5 seasons of this no matter what. Amazon paid for them in advance. So even if not a single person was watching it, it would still be getting released. As for the quality of the writing, its the little things. In one episode Arondir is telling us that Elves dont have medicine because Elven bodies just heal themselves. And in the next Galadriel is telling us that not Sauron needs Elven medicine to survive. And then when we see the Elves hanging over not Sauron they cant tell that hes not human... Its the little things. At the start of the show Calibrimbor is talking about recreating the works of Faenor. Yet when he gets a piece of Mithril, that plan is out the window. Which is weird, as having a piece of Mithril would be a really big help in recreating/reverse engineering a Silmaril. And where was the magic in creating the rings? The magic is what makes the rings...powerful. Without the magic, they are just rings. The way Sauron is able to use the one ring to rule them all is because of magic, not alloy. So where was the magic to get that across to the audience?

Like I said, its the little things. But I guess one of the big things is how they rushed the forging of the three rings. Not Sauron was in and out in a flash. There was no intrigue. There was no Galadriel being suss to not Sauron and trying to convince Calibrimbor of shady happenings. It was just over so quickly. That should have been spread over a season or least more than one episode. The thing is, the writers of this show aren't making this stuff up. Its already written. So it shouldn't be hard to flesh it out into something watchable. Yet here we are. Its boring over produced nonsense that relies on mystery boxes to keep the audience engaged. And worse the show runners dont seem to be taking any of the criticism on board. Its all just being dismissed as "haters gonna hate" or "racist trolls". Thats not how you make a product better. This was the most expensive show ever made, and they didnt even hire based on work history. JJ Abrahms suggested Payne and McKay whose only work before ROP was a failed script for Star Trek 3. Thats how they got the job. And it shows, IMO. Ryan Condal, showrunner on House of the Dragon has writer and producer credits going back a decade. Its not a lot, but its more than one failed script. And judging by the reception, House of the Dragon is loved by everyone, even the right wing YouTubers who were bemoaning it before it aired for the race swapped character love it. They both have great source material, but in is run by someone with experience and the other isnt. And it really shows, IMO.

But like I said at the start, it doesn't matter how good or bad the show is. 5 seasons have been bought and paid for. And 5 seasons will be released no matter what happens. So if you are enjoying it, rest easy in the knowledge that it wont be cancelled at any time and you wont be left hanging on a cliffhanger.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
First of all: I'm happy you can enjoy the show. Second: I did it too at times but really had to switch my brain off - not a good thing really and since I do like Tolkien and Fantasy settings in general I'm kinda engaged in this discussion.

But I'm not sure I totally get where you're coming from. I haven't seen somebody blasting the show because it was expensive. It got called out because it's not good enough (imho) and cost a ton on top of that. Where is the point exactly in saying: keep quiet although there are glaring holes in this production - they may cancel the next season. Honestly, with that kind of investment and pull it'd be very surprising if they don't chew out a couple of seasons more. And as far as I understood they butcher Tolkiens general storyline with no remorse so they can invent all kinds of stuff to keep this going. Of course, people calling it out because of black skinned Elves or Dwarfs or because of some Feminism or so called "woke" stuff I find totally annoying but if a show gets called out because it's ultimately shallow with lots left to desire in the acting and writing department I'm all on board. I can equally accuse you of supporting the "no-risk, dumbed down, shallow written entertainment show with bombastic effects to cover up the lack of true innovation and soul" like we everywhere else in abundance already. But that's it from me, I'm just a bit disappointed because the potential is clearly there. As the Hobbit was a major step down (imho) from LotR and also a huge feck off to the original book this is another step down.

I hear you on Firefly though. Never really got into it but got told by some it was a great show.
I don't know why any of it, we all only like what we like and are disappointed with expectation not being met. I'm not sure who Amazon feel themselves responsible towards as far as audience goes and seeing as I really don't remember who begat whom for on and on I guess they feel the rest of us are in a similar boat so they will take liberties with the storyline(s).

As far as it goes it looks to me that they forgot to give the Harfoots a green screen and a whole lot of the rest got theirs. I'm not sure which is harder to act with. One of the kids I once worked with and scribed his Thesis with him being Dyslexic ended up running a company that called itself ModelMaking something (which I have no clue regarding ) that started out mostly making costumes for LotR 'type' movies and shows incl the Hobbit trilogy and is now doing CGI and makes a whole hell of a lot more doing the second, plus he employs dozens and dozens of people and still is only one of a fair few doing the same on the exact same show. I can see where a £1bil could go but I don't begin to understand the QC between them.

People will still like what they do and dislike etc etc. It's new and could get better for the experts among us who expect/demand better, I've no problem with opinions but I never found it shocking, I must be easy to please I guess. I grew up watching the series Colditz and the original Avengers with Patrick McNee and Joanna Lumley etc in Black and White so we can guess why my needs are so simple. What? You can fly to New York now?

I've had Amazon Prime so long now I must check how much it's costing me.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
We will be seeing all 5 seasons of this no matter what. Amazon paid for them in advance. So even if not a single person was watching it, it would still be getting released. As for the quality of the writing, its the little things. In one episode Arondir is telling us that Elves dont have medicine because Elven bodies just heal themselves. And in the next Galadriel is telling us that not Sauron needs Elven medicine to survive. And then when we see the Elves hanging over not Sauron they cant tell that hes not human... Its the little things. At the start of the show Calibrimbor is talking about recreating the works of Faenor. Yet when he gets a piece of Mithril, that plan is out the window. Which is weird, as having a piece of Mithril would be a really big help in recreating/reverse engineering a Silmaril. And where was the magic in creating the rings? The magic is what makes the rings...powerful. Without the magic, they are just rings. The way Sauron is able to use the one ring to rule them all is because of magic, not alloy. So where was the magic to get that across to the audience?

Like I said, its the little things. But I guess one of the big things is how they rushed the forging of the three rings. Not Sauron was in and out in a flash. There was no intrigue. There was no Galadriel being suss to not Sauron and trying to convince Calibrimbor of shady happenings. It was just over so quickly. That should have been spread over a season or least more than one episode. The thing is, the writers of this show aren't making this stuff up. Its already written. So it shouldn't be hard to flesh it out into something watchable. Yet here we are. Its boring over produced nonsense that relies on mystery boxes to keep the audience engaged. And worse the show runners dont seem to be taking any of the criticism on board. Its all just being dismissed as "haters gonna hate" or "racist trolls". Thats not how you make a product better. This was the most expensive show ever made, and they didnt even hire based on work history. JJ Abrahms suggested Payne and McKay whose only work before ROP was a failed script for Star Trek 3. Thats how they got the job. And it shows, IMO. Ryan Condal, showrunner on House of the Dragon has writer and producer credits going back a decade. Its not a lot, but its more than one failed script. And judging by the reception, House of the Dragon is loved by everyone, even the right wing YouTubers who were bemoaning it before it aired for the race swapped character love it. They both have great source material, but in is run by someone with experience and the other isnt. And it really shows, IMO.

But like I said at the start, it doesn't matter how good or bad the show is. 5 seasons have been bought and paid for. And 5 seasons will be released no matter what happens. So if you are enjoying it, rest easy in the knowledge that it wont be cancelled at any time and you wont be left hanging on a cliffhanger.
Good news overall, thanks for clueing me in about the seasons.

I'm not going to argue on the scripts and shortcomings, I understand what you are saying and appreciate it, I have decided that I'm a fairly easy consumer to please. What gets to me is the swapping and changing of directors. I'll think on.

I'm happy to learn and haven't been trying to hold forth as some kind of expert, just a glass half full person who is still pleased that film and tv can make Orcs exist on the big and small screens.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
At the start of the show Calibrimbor is talking about recreating the works of Faenor. Yet when he gets a piece of Mithril, that plan is out the window. Which is weird, as having a piece of Mithril would be a really big help in recreating/reverse engineering a Silmaril.
I'm fully onboard your overall criticism, but this actually makes sense I think. If we are to believe that Mithril was created somehow by a Silmaril, it means you don't need to recreate a Silmaril, you essentially have a part of it and just need to use it. That's certainly easier then recreating a Silmaril.

Bobski

It is interesting, for all that people keep saying that much of the criticism comes from people unhappy about the diverse casting I have really seen very little of that in all of the discourse I have read around this show during its run time. Now maybe all that is easier to hide in 1 star review bombing but I also think that there has been a push from Amazon and those involved in the show to categorize all criticism as coming from that starting point.

Not a one off either, didn't watch She-Hulk beyond the first 3 episodes at my Nieces's prompting but the same thing appears to be happening there with the showrunners attacking sections of the fanbase. Seems to be part of the game now, partially create publicity and noise to keep a show in the news and ward off criticism, almost working in tandem with the hate watching trolls.

Where do all the racists, sexists go when watching hugely diverse shows like The Expanse, House Of The Dragon? Do they just quit their low down ways because those shows are, y'know, good, and they know they won't find traction in hating on them?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It is interesting, for all that people keep saying that much of the criticism comes from people unhappy about the diverse casting I have really seen very little of that in all of the discourse I have read around this show during its run time. Now maybe all that is easier to hide in 1 star review bombing but I also think that there has been a push from Amazon and those involved in the show to categorize all criticism as coming from that starting point.

Not a one off either, didn't watch She-Hulk beyond the first 3 episodes at my Nieces's prompting but the same thing appears to be happening there with the showrunners attacking sections of the fanbase. Seems to be part of the game now, partially create publicity and noise to keep a show in the news and ward off criticism, almost working in tandem with the hate watching trolls.

Where do all the racists, sexists go when watching hugely diverse shows like The Expanse, House Of The Dragon? Do they just quit their low down ways because those shows are, y'know, good, and they know they won't find traction in hating on them?
I can just give my own perspective: I was highly critical of the diverse casting which I still think doesn't fit and creates the problem that some time between the series and the movies a complete genocide of all black dwarves, elves and hobbits has to take place.

That said I actually didn't criticise that as much when the show started, which fits your observation. Not because I changed my mind on that topic. But because the writing of the show was so bad and stupid, that the casting became just a small footnote for me.

And someone like me doesn't have any issue with the cast of The Expanse or House of the Dragon. Because in those cases it makes sense who is black, who is white etc. I also wouldn't have had any issue with black characters in Rings of Power if they would have played Haradrim or other black people known in the lore.

I didnt, I thought she was fine in the role. The dwarf stuff I thought was some of the best parts of the show. But then someone else made the point about how every village we see is a melting pot ethnicities, races, whatever. And if you contrast that with game of thrones, its off somewhat. Game of thrones had people looking and sounding like where they came from. You could tell just by looking if someone was from the the north or from Dorne. The casting was very much on purpose to create a living breathing real world to get lost in. Does it matter what colour a characters skin is in the show? Not really. As long as the actor does a good job thats all that matters. But as people love to say, its the little things that made a world feel real. Other than the accents, ROP characters could be from anywhere. .
feck me, feel real?

Have you been out in the real World and been able to decide on anything other than accent where someone is from? :lol:

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
feck me, feel real?

Have you been out in the real World and been able to decide on anything other than accent where someone is from? :lol:
Yes, mate. Getting lost in something is pretty much the goal of tv show or a movie. To be entertained and take your mind off things that might be bothering you. Do I really need to explain that? Are you really so clueless that you dont understand the point of entertainment? Shall I get you a spoon for this next bit or will you be ok?

You see, Game of thrones was really popular because the world felt real and lived in to the people who watched it. Characters weren't there to just push the plot along like soulless puppets. They were layered individuals, and when they did things it felt in keeping with their character. Part of that is establishing where someone comes from. The tragedy of Ned Stark was that everyone around him could see the vipers nest he walked into. But because he himself wasnt like that, he couldn't see what was right in front of him. He was from the North. And North had great tradition of duty and honour. The rest of show establishes this with the bannermen coming to the aid of the Starks after Ned was killed. It was duty and honour that drove the north. Not money or titles like some other characters.

Game of Thrones and lord of the rings take place during a time period reminiscent of different periods in human history. Look back and you can see people from certain areas around the world had certain features. Those features being associated with who they are and where they come from. Their culture and Attention to detail in a production isnt really something you can beat it with. The makers of game of thrones went out their way to make something special. And up until that last couple of seasons they succeeded. Rings of power was supposed to be something epic. Instead its run of the mill. Because all those little details that you scoff at like a bully on a play ground add up. And they make the whole a richer experience for it. If all they wanted to do was make something generic, why piss away a billion bucks and 60 million an episode on lords of the rings?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The criticism of the writing is pretty amusing. It's like we have the screenwriter's guild posting on here or something.

It's overall fine.
'Bad writing' has become the stock response of the modern content consumer raised on TVtropes, Cinemasins and the Tomatometer, when they encounter something they don't understand, or something they don't like and can't explain why. Aesthetics is dead. Palettes are dulled, criticism is bereft of any context, and taste and personal perspective have been outsourced to online hives.

Volcanos, mystery boxes, being woke, stroppy female charactets, battle formations, I'm bored, I don't like that, That's not in the book, etc. are all filed under the heading of Bad Writing in lieu of any reasoned criticism.

Perhaps late GOT is partly to blame because it was so obviously poorly handled and almost universally disliked that it emboldened viewers with few critical faculties to join in on the critical tear down with impunity. Battle formations and perceptions of time were chucked in with relevant and reasoned criticisms around the lack of story and cohesion, and given equal weight as everyone rushed to put the boot in. Of course the usual suspects of Marvel and the Netflix and Chill generation are also part of it.

But on the plus side, the killing of Art Appreciation has been a democratic slaying. Free speech reigns, everyone has a voice and you can now hold any opinion about anything you like without any consideration for what you are saying. As long as you feel it you need not think about it or justify it.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I come down on the not-just-a-tv-show side of the argument I'm afraid, as much as I enjoy the comparison to Reno 911 @oates.

This is going to sound sad but I've spent the last 5 years of my life anticipating this show. It's literally been the thing I've been looking forward to more than anything else. The Silmarillion is my favourite book of all time.

I felt the same during the years leading up to The Fellowship of the Ring and the movies came nowhere close to living up to my expectations, but I was more of a Tolkien fanatic then and I've come to appreciate what Jackson achieved. I'm not sure I'll experience the same with Rings of Power.

I hope they nail the second season, but at the moment I just feel a profound sense of disappointment.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I come down on the not-just-a-tv-show side of the argument I'm afraid, as much as I enjoy the comparison to Reno 911 @oates.

This is going to sound sad but I've spent the last 5 years of my life anticipating this show. It's literally been the thing I've been looking forward to more than anything else. The Silmarillion is my favourite book of all time.

I felt the same during the years leading up to The Fellowship of the Ring and the movies came nowhere close to living up to my expectations, but I was more of a Tolkien fanatic then and I've come to appreciate what Jackson achieved. I'm not sure I'll experience the same with Rings of Power.

I hope they nail the second season, but at the moment I just feel a profound sense of disappointment.
I can't argue with you, wouldn't even begin to try, your commitment to the cause has been admirable and probably one of the finest efforts among your brethren.

It's got to be the equivalency of me being a supposed Arsenal fan who hasn't visited the Emirates in 15 years and you being a True Dyed in the Wool Red.

I didn't even know they were making the series much more than a week or so before it came out on Amazon *it was three months but I won't try to compete with you.

Have Faith, it will only get better. I don't say Belief because we can choose that but Faith comes from within and we feel it keenly in our hearts and very being without even knowing how.

Trust me when I tell you that you will be in my prayers every bedtime. God Bless and please can Gandalf remember who the feck he is soon.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
'Bad writing' has become the stock response of the modern content consumer raised on TVtropes, Cinemasins and the Tomatometer, when they encounter something they don't understand, or something they don't like and can't explain why. Aesthetics is dead. Palettes are dulled, criticism is bereft of any context, and taste and personal perspective have been outsourced to online hives.

Volcanos, mystery boxes, being woke, stroppy female charactets, battle formations, I'm bored, I don't like that, That's not in the book, etc. are all filed under the heading of Bad Writing in lieu of any reasoned criticism.

Perhaps late GOT is partly to blame because it was so obviously poorly handled and almost universally disliked that it emboldened viewers with few critical faculties to join in on the critical tear down with impunity. Battle formations and perceptions of time were chucked in with relevant and reasoned criticisms around the lack of story and cohesion, and given equal weight as everyone rushed to put the boot in. Of course the usual suspects of Marvel and the Netflix and Chill generation are also part of it.

But on the plus side, the killing of Art Appreciation has been a democratic slaying. Free speech reigns, everyone has a voice and you can now hold any opinion about anything you like without any consideration for what you are saying. As long as you feel it you need not think about it or justify it.
Are you denying the existence of bad writing? Or just saying this doesn't qualify?

People do have higher standards for some IP and budgets.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Are you denying the existence of bad writing? Or just saying this doesn't qualify?

People do have higher standards for some IP and budgets.
The latter, as he was happy to use the bad writing angle for the dragon show.

Dumbo usually has some great takes when it comes to this sort of thing, but here he's just being salty because he likes the show and others don't.
I've liked the show a lot, and I'm looking forward to the next season. I'm also comfortable with people not liking it, the writing is undeniably clunky.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rings of Power. The writing is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical volcano physics most of the writing will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Galadriel's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into her characterisation- her personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of this writing, to realise that they're not just entertaining- they say something deep about LIFE

I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Bezos's genius writing unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

Don't write an essay dismantling me dumbo this was just a defensive manoeuvre

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
All those things actually are problems but the biggest one is Tolkien himself. He basically wrote down a series of fictional historical events that didn't make a huge amount of internal sense or make that good a story, and now some second rate writers are trying to dramatise them to fixed outcomes. I mean if you have Hilary Mantel dramatising real life history then you get a banger. But this is not that.

If Tokien himself rose from the dead and had to co-write this show George RR Martin style, then I guarentee he would have changed a lot of it. Just like he went back and changed the Hobbit after publication to fit in with Lord of the Rings.

izzydiggler

I enjoyed it. I love the films but can’t say I’m particularly invested in the universe and as such, not really sure why people have been hating on it (except the obvious 1/10’s awarded by racists).

It wasn’t perfect it anything but (as is often the case) the furore around it seems quite hysterical.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Well, i got forced to watch the last episode and all in all I thought it was excellent (other than the overlong goodbye scene). Thought the world design was spectacular tbh.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Behold ye, no-one hath given a solitary feck about this show since it ended. The last thing I expected was that this show would be forgettable, and yet that is what it clearly is. They have a lot of work to do.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Behold ye, no-one hath given a solitary feck about this show since it ended. The last thing I expected was that this show would be forgettable, and yet that is what it clearly is. They have a lot of work to do.
Well, that's mainly because we know season 2 is coming out in about 2 years time...

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
That’s not a fair criticism. There’s still plenty of people talking about how disappointing it was, ergo it’s not forgettable at all.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Rumors going around that Amazon has fired the showrunnes of Season1. Which wouldn't be that surprising.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
To be fair on the creative industry, its hard to see the wood for the trees. You don't really know you have something good until it's out there.

Counterfactual

If it had been any good, I would've missed not seeing a new episode last night.

As it was, I was watching Expanse, which is bloody excellent by comparison, and had forgotten about Rings Of Power until visiting this forum.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
If it had been any good, I would've missed not seeing a new episode last night.

As it was, I was watching Expanse, which is bloody excellent by comparison, and had forgotten about Rings Of Power until visiting this forum.
Early Expanse is a great show, then everyone became pricks and dull as feck and it became a bit of a slog. Amos the true hero of Expanse.

Bobski

If true, they're just reacting to poor reviews. It's highly embarrassing they let it get past the cutting room floor.
But.. I thought it was just "Patently Evil" trolls creating the poor reviews and negativity around the show?

led_scholes

Enjoyable show, just not so good as the budget suggests and more importantly as the name suggests.

I used to play BFM 2, where Galadriel was the OP character, so happy that there is a show centered around her. I found Elrond a bit meh at the beginning, but eventually his relationship with Durin has become one of the best trait of the show.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Enjoyable show, just not so good as the budget suggests and more importantly as the name suggests.

I used to play BFM 2, where Galadriel was the OP character, so happy that there is a show centered around her. I found Elrond a bit meh at the beginning, but eventually his relationship with Durin has become one of the best trait of the show.
That's a one superb throw back. BFM 2 was The shiet.

Galadriel in BFM 2 was a spell caster if I remember correctly. Her learning the craft in further seasons could be a proper arc.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
It's not as though there was as short a gap between Tolkien writing the LoR books and that scruffy tramp who scribbles about GoT, us Rings of Power fans are patient and easy going, we don't make a big fuss whilst waiting another decade or two before the next season.

Obviously we don't expect you to understand the meaning of time passing slowly what with all that instant gratification stuff.