The Make A Fecking Sub Ole Thread

chiz2kul

There are games where his game management is genuinely baffling. It's negligent to have just let this game go on as it has for this long without trying to change anything.
Championship level management. This is truly embarrassing.

Bwuk

My opinion is he's over reliant on players, rather than tactics and systems to create chances, so if the game changes are already out on the pitch he's reluctant to take them off, regardless of performance.

Rashford got hooked tonight because he was a passenger, but it's not an isolated performance from him in recent weeks. The difference this time around is that he has Pogba, another player that he trusts to create something out of nothing, ready to come on. If Pogba wasn't on the bench, Rashford would've seen out the 90.
I agree entirely. Ole has terrible in game management.

Unless he changes something this is only going to end one way.

NinjaFletch

This is actually crazy. Even more in this game. It's a quarter final of the cup, we're losing, the teams didn't do anything for 60 minutes. We have Cavani and Bruno on the bench, And no change!

This is crazy.
Literally posted as we make 4 changes.

:lol:

Ah, the misfortune of watching on a stream a few minutes behind.

Loon

He obviously thinks there as shite as we do. How the feck Fred escaped the cull I don’t know

Member 90887

Literally posted as we make 4 changes.

Ah, the misfortune of watching on a stream a few minutes behind.
Yeah haha.

Still, when you watch our first half, these changes should have been made at half time. VDB was a straight one, did nothing first half.

And clearly, Greenwood and Martial were too light in attack.

But I'm quite happy with the subs. I'd have left Pogba and got Fred our instead, but Pogba is probably not fit to play a full game yet.

Ace

Pogba at half fitness is still a better option than Fred on his best day.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Two of the five should have been made proactively at half time. All top managers have the crucial ability to change things during the course of a game when things aren't going their way - it is shocking that Ole as a super sub himself seems to be severely lacking in this department. We should have been attacking them right out of the blocks in the second half.

I understand he is crippled by injuries, the need to rest top players - but this is a QF before an international break - this is when you go hell for leather for 45 more minutes.

First the CL, then the FA Cup - Ole's reluctance to bring Fred off has cost us two major competitions this year.

croadyman

Two of the five should have been made proactively at half time. All top managers have the crucial ability to change things during the course of a game when things aren't going their way - it is shocking that Ole as a super sub himself seems to be severely lacking in this department. We should have been attacking them right out of the blocks in the second half.

I understand he is crippled by injuries, the need to rest top players - but this is a QF before an international break - this is when you go hell for leather for 45 more minutes.

First the CL, then the FA Cup - Ole's reluctance to bring Fred off has cost us two major competitions this year.
How on earth can you ever trust him to make the right subs after what we saw today

Sylar

Hes not proactive with his subs, which is bizarre given how much Fergie used to say Ole would sit there, study the game and when he brought Ole on, Ole knew where the weaknesses were to exploit to win us a game or score a goal (or get into a position to get a chance).

He made a career as a player but is reluctant to make changes unless its forced on him or we are losing. At 1-1, we should have made a change or two at half time given the way the game was going. We had once chance and scored it but Leicester were in control. Fred (most likely given the game he was having ) or Matic (since he cant run) should have come off.

Its a shame because you saw how the sub vs Milan changed the game completely for us (but again, that was forced on him)

Hoof the ball

Game and game again he plays his starting IX for a full 90 mins, reticent to sub any fresh legs in because he doesn't trust them to come on the impact a game, and then has the cheek to complain about fixture congestion.

I have zero sympathies for a self-created problem. If VdB, Telles, etc was used more off the bench, the likes of Fred and McTominay would be less fatigued; as would Bruno, etc. It's okay saying, "well, we need these players on because they can make something happen even if they're having a bad game", but you're shooting yourself in the foot. The short-term benefit of an individual moment in one game is not better than the preservation of energy and benefit expended over future cumulative matches.

Don't rotate, don't substitute? Then don't complain.

croadyman

Fergie never liked subs before around 70 mins. Always said the starting players deserved 70 mins to influence the game, clear Ole feels the same.
He needs to be flexible around subs because there are times where you need to be proactive rather than just reactive

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Fred looking like a real goal threat again. I for one think we should wait til the 80th minute to make a sub.

snk123

Why is Ole not asked this question? He just doesn’t make any substitutions at times - people should be asking why

lysglimt

Scout
Just need to ask a question ...

You people do realize that we destroyed Brighton in the second half - won 12-0 on goal attempts in those 45 minutes and won the game ? So he is a very lucky man that his players lift themselves time and time again

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

el3mel

First time in a long time I felt he got all the subs and their timing absolutely perfect. The management of the entire second half was just top notch.

Grande

This is a very strange statistic or this is a very strange thread - the list of goals from substitutes in the PL this season:

1. Manchester United – 9
2. Liverpool – 6
3. Chelsea – 5
4. Newcastle – 4
4. West Ham – 4
4. Crystal Palace – 4
4. Sheffield United – 4
8. Arsenal – 3
8. Leicester – 3
8. Tottenham – 3
8. Fulham – 3
8. Aston Villa – 3
8. Wolverhampton – 3
8. Southampton – 3
15. Leeds – 2
15. Brighton – 2
15. West Bromwich – 2
18. Everton – 1
18. Manchester City – 1
20. Burnley – 0

So how does anyone figure Pep is better than Ole at making a fecking sub when Ole has gotten 9 direct goals out of his substitutions while Pep has gotten a measly one? For instance. There is of course the argument that not all the effect of substitutions comes as direct goal, yes, but then again - Ole is fecking best in class at making a scoring sub. There is no one even close.

Time to close thread?

Odin

This is a very strange statistic or this is a very strange thread - the list of goals from substitutes in the PL this season:

1. Manchester United – 9
2. Liverpool – 6
3. Chelsea – 5
4. Newcastle – 4
4. West Ham – 4
4. Crystal Palace – 4
4. Sheffield United – 4
8. Arsenal – 3
8. Leicester – 3
8. Tottenham – 3
8. Fulham – 3
8. Aston Villa – 3
8. Wolverhampton – 3
8. Southampton – 3
15. Leeds – 2
15. Brighton – 2
15. West Bromwich – 2
18. Everton – 1
18. Manchester City – 1
20. Burnley – 0

So how does anyone figure Pep is better than Ole at making a fecking sub when Ole has gotten 9 direct goals out of his substitutions while Pep has gotten a measly one? For instance. There is of course the argument that not all the effect of substitutions comes as direct goal, yes, but then again - Ole is fecking best in class at making a scoring sub. There is no one even close.

Time to close thread?
Well, fans of the club are hardly surprised. He was the master of sideline analysis and sub impact himself - on several occasions as a late sub.

Gator Nate

1. Manchester United – 9
2. Liverpool – 6

<...cut...>

Time to close thread?
Yeah, 50% more goals from subs than the second team.

I think different people have different ideas about the how, when, and who of substitutions and then gripe when Ole doesn't do it the way they'd like. And really, any time someone second guesses Ole, they really have no idea how things would have panned out had he done things differently, they can still only guess. Things could have gone from bad to worse.

Results say Ole gets it right far more often than not.

Grande

Well, fans of the club are hardly surprised. He was the master of sideline analysis and sub impact himself - on several occasions as a late sub.
I know, which was kind of what I expected, and indeed think I’ve seen. At the same time it seems someone have spun a parallell narrative that doesn’t really add up.

Grande

Yeah, 50% more goals from subs than the second team.

I think different people have different ideas about the how, when, and who of substitutions and then gripe when Ole doesn't do it the way they'd like. And really, any time someone second guesses Ole, they really have no idea how things would have panned out had he done things differently, they can still only guess. Things could have gone from bad to worse.

Results say Ole gets it right far more often than not.
I think once the idea creeps into someone’s head that something might be a problem, it will be very easily confirmed on an emotional and intuitional level. If someone says Maguire is slow, you will notice his not running faster than a striker everytime you see it, and you’ll never really notice how seldom we actually let in a goal because Maguire is beaten for pace (almost never) as compared to, say John Stones (beaten by Stuart Dallas at the weekend).

I can’t really remember a coach who has made more effective changes from the bench than Ole. It’s clearly one of his strengths, not weaknesses.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think once the idea creeps into someone’s head that something might be a problem, it will be very easily confirmed on an emotional and intuitional level. If someone says Maguire is slow, you will notice his not running faster than a striker everytime you see it, and you’ll never really notice how seldom we actually let in a goal because Maguire is beaten for pace (almost never) as compared to, say John Stones (beaten by Stuart Dallas at the weekend).

I can’t really remember a coach who has made more effective changes from the bench than Ole. It’s clearly one of his strengths, not weaknesses.
it’s all on his little screen there in front of him!

Will Singh

1. Manchester United – 9
2. Liverpool – 6
3. Chelsea – 5
4. Newcastle – 4
4. West Ham – 4
4. Crystal Palace – 4
4. Sheffield United – 4
8. Arsenal – 3
8. Leicester – 3
8. Tottenham – 3
8. Fulham – 3
8. Aston Villa – 3
8. Wolverhampton – 3
8. Southampton – 3
15. Leeds – 2
15. Brighton – 2
15. West Bromwich – 2
18. Everton – 1
18. Manchester City – 1
20. Burnley – 0

Time to close thread?
That doesn’t surprise me one bit, the guy was the master of making an impact off the bench!

ThreeCorners

1. Manchester United – 9
2. Liverpool – 6
3. Chelsea – 5
4. Newcastle – 4
4. West Ham – 4
4. Crystal Palace – 4
4. Sheffield United – 4
8. Arsenal – 3
8. Leicester – 3
8. Tottenham – 3
8. Fulham – 3
8. Aston Villa – 3
8. Wolverhampton – 3
8. Southampton – 3
15. Leeds – 2
15. Brighton – 2
15. West Bromwich – 2
18. Everton – 1
18. Manchester City – 1
20. Burnley – 0

Time to close thread?
This article includes assists as well. Funny that, I am also of the mind that Ole leaves things late or just plain refuses to make changes.

I guess these stats just puts things into perspective, how other teams compare. Easy to get frustrated when things aren't working on the pitch.

https://www.football365.com/news/pr...man-utd-liverpool-solskjaer-klopp-cavani-jota

Grande

This article includes assists as well. Funny that, I am also of the mind that Ole leaves things late or just plain refuses to make changes.

I guess these stats just puts things into perspective, how other teams compare. Easy to get frustrated when things aren't working on the pitch.

https://www.football365.com/news/pr...man-utd-liverpool-solskjaer-klopp-cavani-jota
I think you’ve got a point there with frustration. One thing is certain - probabilitywise, any manager who tends to make early substitutions has a much better chance at getting good stats for subs with goals/assists - as his subs have more playing time to acheive it. So when Ole’s subs produce more than Klopps and Peps subs, either it’s an emotional fallacy that he actually waits longer with substitutions, or his stats are even more impressive, to the point of genius-like.

Interestingly enough, Ole (80 subs - 15 goals/assists) makes less substitutions than Klopp (86 - 12) in second and 8 of the 9 other top ten managers on the list. Only Hodgson (78 - 7) makes less subs, and gets a lot less output for it.

Mourinho and Arteta has made 91 and 93 substitutions so far, getting a measly return of 5 and 4 g/a.

Dean Smith (69) and Pep (64) makes less subs than Ole, getting respectively 5 and 4 g/a from their subs. From Guardiola, with that squad depth and his system, that’s 80% as many subs as Ole, with slightly above 25% as many goals and assists - which is frankly shocking.

Last edited: