The Make A Fecking Sub Ole Thread

Gasolin

Matic for McTominay would make sense since it's obvious we need more quality on the ball to keep possession. Also VDB for Bruno. He was very lucky not to get a red.
Yes and no. Scott had flaws but now it's obvious they are working on him. They have fixed 2 things with Scott in the last months:
- His ability to keep the shape in defensive phases. He doesn't seem to be good enough to split the CBs and push up the full backs, he doesn't time that, he also doesn't seem to intuitively get into the space in between the first 2 opposition lines to give passing options. However, they have fixed it by asking him to slot in on the right side instead of splitting the CBs, so Lindelof is now the central player with that role. That allows Maguire and Scott to push up the full backs to keep a 3 players shape during the defensive / transition phases to attack in defense and in the midfield line right in front of them.
- He doesn't do forward passes. But the crazy thing is that he is able to, as shown by how he was doing in some games last season when the coaching staff reminded him of this duty. This Saturday, Scott has done some phenomenal forward passes to Rashford capturing his runs and finding him, I think he also did a nice cross to Martial etc... this is starting to work out.

A long way to go but he has also fantastic physical attributes and supreme mental strength. We might have a player there, someone who would help us succeed. I would wait and see but I am very pleased with the progress the staff is making with him, it's obvious we are deliberately training him.

For VdB, I wonder. He is a 10, but his best attribute is to make runs behind the lines, so someone like Bruno or Pogba has to find him. Which makes me think that maybe it's best to use him in the Mata's position to drift centrally and offer options. And use Pogba as the 10? But you're right, he's supposed to be the 10 so maybe we rest Bruno in a like for like sub there to keep the squad fresh.

I would observe the league in the next games. It is obvious that City, Liverpool, Spurs, and even Arsenal are all hyper exhausted and injuries are going to hit them, or at least make their team sluggish. Only Chelsea seems to be able to provide intensity but hopefully they still make defensive mistakes. If that's the case, us not over using VdB, Pogba, Cavani and Telles could prove extraordinary for us in term of points and fitness. And then, 2nd half of the season, we are over performing as shown by the last 2 seasons. We don't get too far away from the top until Dec and we could be surprising many many people. I would trust Ole on that one.

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

Yes and no. Scott had flaws but now it's obvious they are working on him. They have fixed 2 things with Scott in the last months:
- His ability to keep the shape in defensive phases. He doesn't seem to be good enough to split the CBs and push up the full backs, he doesn't time that, he also doesn't seem to intuitively get into the space in between the first 2 opposition lines to give passing options. However, they have fixed it by asking him to slot in on the right side instead of splitting the CBs, so Lindelof is now the central player with that role. That allows Maguire and Scott to push up the full backs to keep a 3 players shape during the defensive / transition phases to attack in defense and in the midfield line right in front of them.
- He doesn't do forward passes. But the crazy thing is that he is able to, as shown by how he was doing in some games last season when the coaching staff reminded him of this duty. This Saturday, Scott has done some phenomenal forward passes to Rashford capturing his runs and finding him, I think he also did a nice cross to Martial etc... this is starting to work out.

A long way to go but he has also fantastic physical attributes and supreme mental strength. We might have a player there, someone who would help us succeed. I would wait and see but I am very pleased with the progress the staff is making with him, it's obvious we are deliberately training him.

For VdB, I wonder. He is a 10, but his best attribute is to make runs behind the lines, so someone like Bruno or Pogba has to find him. Which makes me think that maybe it's best to use him in the Mata's position to drift centrally and offer options. And use Pogba as the 10? But you're right, he's supposed to be the 10 so maybe we rest Bruno in a like for like sub there to keep the squad fresh.

I would observe the league in the next games. It is obvious that City, Liverpool, Spurs, and even Arsenal are all hyper exhausted and injuries are going to hit them, or at least make their team sluggish. Only Chelsea seems to be able to provide intensity but hopefully they still make defensive mistakes. If that's the case, us not over using VdB, Pogba, Cavani and Telles could prove extraordinary for us in term of points and fitness. And then, 2nd half of the season, we are over performing as shown by the last 2 seasons. We don't get too far away from the top until Dec and we could be surprising many many people. I would trust Ole on that one.
Well thought post.

I don't think VDB's best attribute is making runs behind the lines. I think his best is playing around the defensive lines with nitpicking quick short passes and teamplay in compact spaces. So basically he's very useful if we want to break low blocks, but we're obsess with putting more and more crosses plus shootings from distances in recent games I've noticed instead of trying too much of bringing the ball into the box with quick exchange of passes. It sort of working. So that leaves VDB is not really suitable. Personally I don't think he's a playmaker, he doesn't really play like one, but rather more like the player that keeps on circling/moving the ball around like clockwork all the time ticking.

Other than that, agree with everything else. Your views on Scott is also interesting and rare.

drmuji

Very Good post. I didn't realise these changes with McT recently. And probably because I believed in the Everton game, Fred played at the base of diamond. But maybe I am wrong. I will watch the highlights again.
Very good analysis by the way

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Before the subs we were having trouble getting the ball out of our half. We were misplacing passes and losing the ball in dangerous areas. Yes, there were not any great opportunities but the pressure was building.

I guess by your logic since they did not have any shots on goal we didn't even need to bring on Pogba and Cavani. Sure.
To win the game? No we probably didn't.

Nice that they did come on but we were hardly crying out for them.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
79 mins before we see Van de Beek FFS.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
m̸̡̧̰̜͉̯̠̖̘̣̭̉ͧ̾ͧ́͜a̶̡̨͐̇̂͂͛́͑̅̔̍́̅̌ͤ̈́̑ͭͨ͒͢͏̘̲̤̻͈̼k̨͙̹̙͙̼̬̬̰̙̘̖̬̻̱̊̊ͫͬ͌̀̀̀͘ę̨͍̻̗̤͕͇̩̼̝ͧͯ̔̓ͧ̎ͯ̑̏̀̚͠ ̳̤͉̬͇͓̝͓̰̻̩̼̪͌̋ͬ͒͋͌̇͘͟â̵̵̢͎̭̱̝̮͉͋̓͑́̂ͧͮ͡ ̷̈́̏̆̏ͯ͐ͬ͂̄̾̓̚҉̬̺͇͈͉͙̬̩̟̫͎̝̜̤̟̥f̷̤̗̭̗̹͙̗̖ͭͦ̿ͣͣͤͤ̽̎̅̀́͘͟e̡͖̥͖͍͈̱̣̗͓̟̖̻͗ͣ̌ͥ͐̽̅̔ͭͩ͌ͯc̵̶̢̰̦͈̻̣͕͚͚̬͇̩̘̲̝̜͊͌̆ͩ̎͋͂͊̅̇ͣͭ̑͑̊̃̓͌̕͟k̹͇̮̙̼̪͚͈̫̭̮͈̞̪̗̅ͫ̈̅̓͑̓̔ͧ̀͝͞ͅͅi̧̻̭̺̗̤̠͇̪̙̗̩̖̣͔̪̩ͦ͑̽ͣ͛͢͠n̡̻̰̙̟̖̖̭̲̩͇̦͓̺̬̻͈̼͈̯̐͂͐̄͊̌̍͂̀͋͗̐͐̌ͭ͊̚͡g̶͙̪̱͇̘̦͎͎̺͓̞̤͖̤͉̙͈̦͎̈́͂ͭ̓ͨ̃͘ ̧̛ͤͫ͗̑ͫ̽͋̾̉ͤ̏ͨ͐ͬ͆ͫ̚҉̵̻̝̘̪͚s̡̥͈̱̪̤ͪͩ͌̌͗͂̓̂ͤͫͨ̌́̚̚͘͡ủ̷̥̰̜ͤ͒̉̊ͯ̈́̏̉͂ͧ͌͊͗̍̂̚͟͞b̷̗̼̖͕̫̳̮̣̐̈͌́͢ ̴͖̲͈̰̍ͦ͊̔͒ͬ̕͘͟O̵̶͔͓̙̟̮͈̱ͥ̌̂̐ͯͮͩ͡͞l͕͙̟̟̝̮̝̲̠͚̺̳̭̮͔̭͊ͯͤ̓̂̂ͮ̄̓̉ͩ͆́̚̚̚͟e̶̤̰͈̖͖͍͕̻͚̲͆͑ͭ̃̽ͭ̂ͭͬͯ̄̉͋̃̌̔͑

acnumber9

We started the second half well but we were crying out for a sub from the 60 minute mark. When we made it, it was the wrong one. I’ve no idea how bad McTominay has to be to come off.

SuperiorXI

He should have brought VDB on I thought, for the last 15-20 minutes at least. We could have got the 3 pts there, City weren't offering much.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We started the second half well but we were crying out for a sub from the 60 minute mark. When we made it, it was the wrong one. I’ve no idea how bad McTominay has to be to come off.
When the alternative is Matic I'm glad Ole didn't change it.

reelworld

again he refused to sub in VDB for McTominay when the latter offer absolutely nothing in the second half. The press from City was crying for someone in midfield to resist their press and release the ball quickly to the strikers, but fecking no, McTominay have to last 90 minutes.

acnumber9

When the alternative is Matic I'm glad Ole didn't change it.
Or play Pogba there, throw on an attacker and try and win a game that was there for the taking. Played it safe instead.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
The game was crying out for 2 or 3 subs for the last half an hour but Ole seemed content to play out a dull stalemate in spite of their mediocrity. Frustrating.

MrSingh2002

Numpty Ole never learns. He tries to take a page out of Fergies book who used to let the opposition manager make the first move.

Ole is not Fergie and he can't read the game in the same way. He needs to be more proactive with subs but he still hasn't learnt that.

Oldtraffordboy

First time I think I've got genuinely angry at the lack of subs when the game is obviously turning.

Nero

Fans of every single team think their manager takes too long to make changes. Literally every forum is the same.

Eriku

Seeing as I’m Norwegian and we all know each other, I forwarded the request that he make his subs earlier.

He said "No."

DRM

Fans of every single team think their manager takes too long to make changes. Literally every forum is the same.
Nah ours genuinely takes the biscuit

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The lack of subs did my fecking head in today

Matic should have started let alone coming on in injury time, it was crying out for him once we went ahead

Godfather

I have no idea what he actually waited for. From the 70th minute on a sub was very much needed

Dan_F

The game cried out for Matic from about 70 minutes onwards. There was a big, unnecessary, gap in the middle. I also didn’t see any benefit to having Greenwood stay on, when we could have caught them to finish off the game with Rashford.

PoTMS

Last year, it was we had no quality on the bench. Today, we had Henderson, Matic, Rashford, McTominay, Telles, Van de Beek on our bench. Pretty much all of them would start in most Premier League teams.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It was bad tonight, particularly when they'd made changes and were clearly growing into it. Even if it's like for like, never mind thickening up the middle with a Scott or a Matic, get some bloody fresh legs on Ole.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Actually couldn't believe Matic didn't come on. The most obvious sub in thr world.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Atleast the things that our fans have to bash about Ole are lessening. We win tonight so everyone has to crowd into the subs thread :lol:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Atleast the things that our fans have to bash about Ole are lessening. We win tonight so everyone has to crowd into the subs thread :lol:
:lol: Standing room only because I'm sure we were all fecking screaming when Parker's freshening the other side up and they're taking it to us.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
People aren't immune to criticism mate. I'm "Ole in" but he was playing with fire tonight. Fulham were really growing into the game, and it was really obvious that we needed to make changes. Not necessarily just Matic to sure us up, but Martial and Greenwood are in appalling form. One or both should have come off much much earlier.

youngrell

I think the hesitancy was because the balance of the game. Do you shore up or try to get another goal?