The Make A Fecking Sub Ole Thread

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
i was watching the match with a mate and we were both screaming for ole to bring mbappe on. a flash of bald head later and we were so pleased to have been listened to. when the camera zoomed in on martial we took it in turns to throw the tv remote at the screen whilst vomiting violently.

i think there’s games to be annoyed about when a change isn’t coming, the first game of the season at 5-1 probably isn’t one of them. with a fairly short pre-season it was nice to have an easier last 30 minutes. should set us up well for the next one.
Your story could be true except for the part that you watched it with a friend...

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yesterday was great result but I still believe Ole could do better with his subs.

At the point when Utd were winning 5-0, Ole made the following subs:

Matic for McTominay. Don’t understand this at all. Surely this is a defensive change when we weren’t under any threat.Ole knows what Matic is capable of, so he doesn’t really need game time.

James for Sancho. No argument here, makes sense only wished it’d happened earlier before Pogba was taken off.

Pogba for Martial. This is the change that disturbed me the most.We had no creativity or threat after this point. If Ole wanted to give Martial some game time, take off Greenwood or even Bruno (which may have been appropriate after his hat trick). If he wanted to give Pogba a rest and acknowledge his performance then change him for Van De Beek, who really would benefit from game time.

With the team playing so well, it was such a shame the substitutions involved changing the system of the team and ripping the creative heart out of midfield. If Ole had made like for like changes it would benefit all the players, getting used to a system and style of play rather than just playing with certain players. It would have been beneficial for Sancho to get game experience playing with a creative midfielder such as Pogba or VDB rather than relying on the less technical players like Fred and Matic for passes and assists.

Early days I know and a great result, but Ole has form here in making substitutions that put the team on the back foot because he ranks players by their seniority rather than their positions and skill set.
Mate, what do you think they are doing in training?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Yesterday was great result but I still believe Ole could do better with his subs.

Matic for McTominay. Don’t understand this at all. Surely this is a defensive change when we weren’t under any threat.Ole knows what Matic is capable of, so he doesn’t really need game time.

James for Sancho. No argument here, makes sense only wished it’d happened earlier before Pogba was taken off.

Pogba for Martial. This is the change that disturbed me the most.We had no creativity or threat after this point. If Ole wanted to give Martial some game time, take off Greenwood or even Bruno (which may have been appropriate after his hat trick). If he wanted to give Pogba a rest and acknowledge his performance then change him for Van De Beek, who really would benefit from game time.

With the team playing so well, it was such a shame the substitutions involved changing the system of the team and ripping the creative heart out of midfield. If Ole had made like for like changes it would benefit all the players, getting used to a system and style of play rather than just playing with certain players. It would have been beneficial for Sancho to get game experience playing with a creative midfielder such as Pogba or VDB rather than relying on the less technical players like Fred and Matic for passes and assists.

Early days I know and a great result, but Ole has form here in making substitutions that put the team on the back foot because he ranks players by their seniority rather than their positions and skill set.
I think those are fair observations. I will say though I was okay with all three subs, would just have made a couple of them a bit sooner. Maybe for personal preference I would have liked to see DVB get some minutes or like you say have Pogba on with Sancho for a bit but it's all pretty minor. He might not take as many risks with his subs as some might like but at 5-1 up and with a lot of fitness considerations ( being the first game of the season) I think it's a bit too nitpicky.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Subs were clearly just about giving people rest/minutes, rather than how they would impact the game. Game impact didn't matter at that point, so it's a really unfair criticism IMO.

My only beef with the subs was that Bruno was again left on for the full 90. We need that bloke wrapping in cotton wool, and resting whenever it's sensible to do so.

Lynty

Sancho was a no brainer

If there are two players in our squad that we want back to playing their best, its Matic and Martial. Both will play important roles in the next few months, and both need a confidence boost after poor seasons last year.

Great opportunity to throw them on during a comfortable game where the crowd is in carnival mode.

Bestietom

We could and should have scored more goals instead of taking our foot off the pedal.
This league could go down to goal difference and we could be sorry for not pressing for more.

scottw

Supports
ManUtd and AtlantaUtd
James should never start, so I will say that was a bad sub from the start of the game. Ole has 1 really weak point, and as the OP said, its subbing, it is just mind boggling how bad he is at it. Like dude, just b/c you came on the last 20 minutes of every game doesn't mean you need to do that with everyone, he was a special talent, we don't have another player on the squad like Ole. He gets this subs thing down, and he will be a very good coach!

lex talionis

The result speaks for itself, but there really was no reason to bring in Matic instead of Donny for mop up duty.

El Zoido

Here we go again. You can't defend his team selection for first half. Hope we can turn things around.
It’s one of those where you can defend it if it works. I thought the team selection was fine, but he needs to make a change. If he doesn’t make a substitution at half time, he needs to adjust the formation.

Tyrion

I imagine no-one will come on until the 70th minute. As is tradition.

EDIT: Wow. The 59th minute. That's new.

Here we go again. Awful team selection with a resulting performance we all saw coming, then subbing Fred instead of Matic, and chucking Lingard on in minute 85 out of desperation. It's like groundhog day.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I have no problem with the selection. We have seen this type of performances regardless of who plays. We don't move the ball well enough when we face a compact defense.

binary bot
I have no problem with the selection. We have seen this type of performances regardless of who plays. We don't move the ball well enough when we face a compact defense.
We all watched Matic last season running about like it was soccer aid. Him starting games at this point is major incompetence.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I feel like Ole doesn't fully understand what subs can do to help change momentum within a game.

Matic staying on for 85 minutes was a crime

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Bringing on Sancho for martial early was good. But taking off Fred and leaving matic on was criminal. We did feck all with a mctom matic midfield and had to drop pogba deep to do anything

Fooza

He's timing and number of subs is just absolutely piss poor.

how is lingard or anyone going to affect any game in the 86th minute?

If you're going to want to change the game with subs put at least 2 one time, not one 56th, one 76th and one 86th minute.

Seriously annoying but I lost all hope with subs having any effect in games under Ole

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
It’s pretty worrying that he doesn’t seem to understand how making subs can change a game. Matic staying on for as long as he did was pure negligence.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Apparently you just have to be worth in excess of £70m to be subbed before the 70th minute.

Now the Van de Beek treatment makes sense.

SAFMUTD

The "actually influence the game with your tactics Ole thread"

Another one on him

Jaxa

So which minute do we see James inevitably subbed off after another shocker for Cavani

Should be right now but I’m guessing 65th min ?

SinNombre

James is bad but is not the issue.

We need the double pivot when your single central midfielder is Fred.

We need to swap James with the corpse of Matic or play DVB

Jackal981

Tbf it is very rare to sub a player before half unless injury occured. Let’s see if he makes any changes on the break