Television The Man In High Castle

Amir

I probably wrote this in one of the previous pages, but it's one of the bigger TV misses I've seen. So much potential, but a lot of the characters and boring and the story is super, super slow. Stuff that should have been happening late in season one are only happening late in season three. It's like the whole thing is going nowhere. Also,

I find it funny that films from another universe would convince people that they can defeat the Nazis. In the reality we know, it was done by the huge army forces of the USA, Britain, etc. They no longer have those, so how on earth do they think they can do that?

Seveneric

I'm in the middle of season 2 now and I'm considering not bothering with season 3 if it doesn't pick up.

Dreary, slow, everyone in it from the Nazis to the resistance are hideously awful. Even the sympathetic 'not all Nazis are as bad as each other' angle fails as there's nothing good about John Smith.

Only thing mildly interesting is the trade minister's reality jumping storyline and that's not being expanded on enough. It's like a show that cons people into thinking it's a good show through great visuals, some good acting and world building, but is actually empty underneath it all.

Also, that whiny, king of stating the obvious Ed McCarthy has to be one of the worst characters on TV that's not a villain or antagonist.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It all ended up fairly underwhelming in the end.

It's an interesting concept which makes the first season a fascinating watch, but season's 2 and 3 come across as rather dull.

The Firestarter

I probably wrote this in one of the previous pages, but it's one of the bigger TV misses I've seen. So much potential, but a lot of the characters and boring and the story is super, super slow. Stuff that should have been happening late in season one are only happening late in season three. It's like the whole thing is going nowhere. Also,

I find it funny that films from another universe would convince people that they can defeat the Nazis. In the reality we know, it was done by the huge army forces of the USA, Britain, etc. They no longer have those, so how on earth do they think they can do that?
I think they are trying to prevent nazis conquering other worlds , and possibly getting help from there as well.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Was season 3 any good? I held off on watching it cause 2 was quite boring and then I completely forgot about it until this thread bump.

Adebesi

I found series 3 quite hard work. Too good to give up on but not quite good enough to really enjoy. It always feels like its on the brink of being interesting, without ever quite delivering.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I found series 3 quite hard work. Too good to give up on but not quite good enough to really enjoy. It always feels like its on the brink of being interesting, without ever quite delivering.
Same. The trailer for the 4th season looks like it's just continued that decline and might be time to give it up. Will watch the first couple of episodes but if it still often feels like a chore, I'll pass

Loublaze

ATLien
I really struggled with season 2 in the same manner, and I started season 3 and stopped 10 minutes into the first episode. I really want to enjoy the show as it is quality but I can't force it. Not giving up on it, but i'll probably start and finish whole seasons of other shows before I complete season 3.

Adebesi

I really struggled with season 2 in the same manner, and I started season 3 and stopped 10 minutes into the first episode. I really want to enjoy the show as it is quality but I can't force it. Not giving up on it, but i'll probably start and finish whole seasons of other shows before I complete season 3.
Yeah. My struggles with season 3 are a continuation of how I felt about 2.

I love the concept of the show. I loved season 1. The book is great. I want to love this show, I really do.

I just don't though.

We need an rvn

Gave up on this sometime during season 2 - too slow for me.
Same here. I love the concept of the programme but they're just not pulling it off. When the Japanese guy started to see things from a different future I started to lose interest as could see it going down the "lost" route of turning a waste of my time

Classical Mechanic

I did exactly the same.

Adebesi

Same here. I love the concept of the programme but they're just not pulling it off. When the Japanese guy started to see things from a different future I started to lose interest as could see it going down the "lost" route of turning a waste of my time
Exactly the right comparison.

I thought the sci fi element to it could have worked, Im not against different futures story line in theory, but the way it is being handled IS reminiscent of Lost.

Member 115509

I enjoyed season 1, mostly I think due to the intrigue of the story, but I gave up halfway through season 2 and haven't watched any more. The comparisons to Lost in previous posts are pretty spot on I think.
I might go back and watch the whole thing again sometime, then again maybe not.

Loublaze

ATLien
Yeah. My struggles with season 3 are a continuation of how I felt about 2.

I love the concept of the show. I loved season 1. The book is great. I want to love this show, I really do.

I just don't though.
I did exactly the same.
I thought I was the only one. In other cases where I lose interest in a show, it happens pretty quickly in the first season. I also struggled with season 2 of Netflix's Marco Polo. Season one was a breeze to binge, but I gave up on season 2. I had to restart the first episode a few times because I couldn't finish it and forgot what was going on altogether.

predator

Youth NITK
Season 4 out now folks.

I loved the first season - never seen anything like it. The whole concept of the situation blows me away knowing the big what IF.

Season 2 still had me gripped and fascinated.

Season 3 kind of lost me with all the different sub plots and characters popping up out of nowhere.

I need a thorough recap I think because I've forgotten what happens to main characters etc. I will watch season 4 because seeing the swastika draped over the empire state building and the rising sun flag on every street in San Francisco still looks surreal and makes me feel uneasy.

Zlatattack

Finished season 4. I enjoyed the season but not the ending.

I'm going to add some thoughts/questions usinga spoiler tag.

1. Where did all the people come from in the end? Did i sleep through the bit that explains that?
2. It would have been interesting to see America Vs Germany in a nuclear conflict.
3. How does the book end? How close was this story to the book?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Finished season 4. I enjoyed the season but not the ending.

I'm going to add some thoughts/questions usinga spoiler tag.

1. Where did all the people come from in the end? Did i sleep through the bit that explains that?
2. It would have been interesting to see America Vs Germany in a nuclear conflict.
3. How does the book end? How close was this story to the book?
Yeah, I also thought the same. Did they manage to leak the portal technology to other dimensions?

I remember Smith saying something like every entrance is 2 ways, so I'm not sure if that was alluding to it being discovered.

I enjoyed the fourth season overall.

AaronRedDevil

Just finished this today. It’s a good show with a very interesting plot. But it definetly could have been done better, it was very slow and characters got a bit boring towards the last season or 2. I kept getting mixed up on who’s who in the show. Plot lines were confusing the hell out of me. One thing I will say is that they kept up the quality in the scenes and locations, they didn’t look like they cheaped out. The acting was good. It ended a bit too quick with leftover questions. I’d give it a 7/10.

It ended way too soon, seems like there was a lot more to do. What about the other Reich General who’s now in charge. I was really hoping to see a proper war in the show but they kept dodging it, Japan v Germany even, but no they tried to keep it small scale. About the ending I’m guessing they are the people that jumped to the other timelines just like Julia and that’s them coming back to their own real home. I needed another episode at least, was just sitting there going “ok and?”

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I wonder if any tv/film producers fancy a crack at Fatherland?

There was a movie years ago but I think more justice could be done to the book.