The Manchester Title Race

TheReligion

Abusive
United's gift to City?

Well what an odd season this has been. Level on points with two games to go with a far worse goal difference. I personally think that is the end of the matter now and can't see City slipping up especially after tonights result.

Everyone is keen to rave on about City and how much they deserve the title, but lets not get this confused, we are level on points, not behind.

Below is a list of the points we have dropped this season in games I feel we should, and in the past, have done better. I didn't fancy us tonight one bit, we don't have the capability in our midfield to combat the dominant Yaya Toure's presence and energy and it was no surprise that when he started to fade towards the end we looked more comfortable and had more of the ball. I personally think somebody like Javi Martinez is a must in the summer, but that is another matter.

Anyway, United's gift? I think so..

Man Utd 2-3 Blackburn How annoying is this result looking back at Old Trafford? Bizarre and totally uncharacteristic.

Man Utd 1-1 Newcastle Another mess at Old Trafford and 2 points dropped. As good as Newcastle have been this season we should be beating them at home. Another stand out game for me.

Newcastle 3-0 Man Utd Disaster from start to finish. We will see how City manage there at the weekend but I don't see a repeat of this result. Dismal performance and battered our goal difference. Would have expected a draw.

Wigan 1-0 Man Utd Business end of the season, Wigan desperate to stay up, United desperate to win the league.. Problem was Wigan wanted it far more. Terrible display by United in a game they should have won. Another stand out result that has cost us.

Man Utd 4-4 Everton Tough game with Everton in form but to concede 4 at home? Not acceptable least not when you should be pumped up to put a title to bed. At 4-2 this game should have been in the bag and tonight would have been easier to take.

One game that stands out for me when you look at goal difference is this one.

Man Utd 1-0 Fulham A couple more goals here and we may not be looking down the barrel of City lifting our trophy. Didn't make many chances, sloppy again at Old Trafford, not good enough.

There we go. Sure, City can pick out games they have dropped points themselves but for me we have gift wrapped this title and delivered it to the Council House tonight. Lets all get behind Tino Asprilla and the lads for Sunday and keep our fingers crossed...

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
You can do this for any non title winning season, the 4-4 is the most critical one there, completely inexcusable to score 4 at home and not win.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I'm now kind of glad my 'Champions' thread from a few weeks ago has been deleted.

Rossi19

Tag Master
"Oh don't worry, I know we lost to Wigan but we'll beat Everton at home..."

"Ach its nothing, we'll get something at the Etihad..."

"Its not over yet, Newcastle will take points off City..."

I don't see it, but feck me I hope I'm wrong. Can't believe I've seen a Fergie team bottle it like this, we're like fecking Spurs.

TheReligion

Abusive
"Oh don't worry, I know we lost to Wigan but we'll beat Everton at home..."

"Ach its nothing, we'll get something at the Etihad..."

"Its not over yet, Newcastle will take points off City..."

I don't see it, but feck me I hope I'm wrong. Can't believe I've seen a Fergie team bottle it like this, we're like fecking Spurs.
I think that is the most off thing about this one. We have truly given the title to City at the time everyone calls us out as the strong finishers.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think that is the most off thing about this one. We have truly given the title to City at the time everyone calls us out as the strong finishers.
Second time in three years that we've done this, we let Chelsea win it from a driving seat in 2010 too.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Second time in three years that we've done this, we let Chelsea win it from a driving seat in 2010 too.
That year it was different, we were neck and neck all year if I recall but we lost to Chelsea at home and that put them in first. The draw at Blackburn was one of those where we thought the title was all over, and there was no belief really. Nothing like this season where we were 8 points ahead only a few weeks ago. We had 6 games remaining, and all we had to do was to get 11 points from the possible 18. We have got 4 from the last 12 available.

CheadleBeagle

I will be shocked if City throw it away now but you never know. Newcastle looked awful on the weekend so don't expect too much help from there. We need to score about 8 goals in the last 2 games to have a chance.

kietotheworld

I will be shocked if City throw it away now but you never know. Newcastle looked awful on the weekend so don't expect too much help from there. We need to score about 8 goals in the last 2 games to have a chance.
We need to score at least 10 goals across both games if we're going to win it on Goal Difference, assuming 1-0 wins for City against Newcastle and QPR.

EvilChuck

The Everton game was the one. Wigan had something to play for still, they're fighting for survival, we played them at their ground and they beat Arsenal at the Emirates a week later. Thats not to say its not annoying, but there's more understanding of not getting result there. But to be 4-2 up at home with 10 minutes to go you should be safe, especially against a team who are just seeing out their fixtures now.