Television The Mandalorian - TV Show

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Started watching this last night. I'm currently on episode 7 and I'm enjoying it for the most part.
References to Leone, Kurosawa and Koike's successful Lone Wolf and Cub series ,which is always nice, are steeped into this and it works effectively in the sci-fi genre.

Comfortably the best Star Wars related work out there since the Disney acquisition, though I do have a love-and-hate relationship with The Last Jedi.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Started watching this last night. I'm currently on episode 7 and I'm enjoying it for the most part.
References to Leone, Kurosawa and Koike's successful Lone Wolf and Cub series ,which is always nice, are steeped into this and it works effectively in the sci-fi genre.

Comfortably the best Star Wars related work out there since the Disney acquisition, though I do have a love-and-hate relationship with The Last Jedi.
I agree, it's really fantastic. What I'm really happy with is that for a long time what I loved about Star Wars was the Jedi, the light sabres, etc. - this show and to a lesser extent Rogue One has proved just what a rich and varied world Star Wars is and that I can be just as interested (if not more so) in the smaller characters, the non-Jedi's and have a show with hardly any reference to the force at all totally grab me.

It is extremely good news for Star Wars as a whole going forward I think.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm obsessed with the theme tune, it's so good. Also such a good idea to have concept art over the credits.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Great show, it feels like it is written like a video game with each episode being a level - and it works. I think this show is the best thing Star Wars has done in years.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Great show, it feels like it is written like a video game with each episode being a level - and it works. I think this show is the best thing Star Wars has done in years.
I got a strong sense of that in the 2nd episode when Mando received those imperial credits to enhance his armour. Like a character upgrade . :lol:

Since that moment I was thinking that they could produce a decent sandbox game with these characters + universe.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I got a strong sense of that in the 2nd episode when Mando received those imperial credits to enhance his armour. Like a character upgrade . :lol:

Since that moment I was thinking that they could produce a decent sandbox game with these characters + universe.
Yeah definitely got the feeling when the same happened!

On the filler comments from some, I don't think this is a series that is going to show much character development, we've only seen the main characters face once! It's a fun and entertaining show definitely.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Started watching this last week.

S'okay. Fourth episode was the best one. First three were a slog.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
See I felt that 4th episode (Sanctuary) was the weakest because I feel like I've watched that concept played out in various other shows/media.
And though I praised the series above for its references I felt it was alittle too 7 Samurai lite for me .

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You've all definitely hyped this character I've never heard of.

AaronRedDevil

I have mentioned this in other threads, but she's easily the most beautifully written female protagonist in Star Wars, IMO. Given how Filoni himself is involved, I have no doubt he'll do justice to her in whatever capacity she's involved.
Agreed. She’s my fave Jedi. I’m rewatching the Clone Wars with a friend of mine since he’s never seen them and I keep mentioning Asoka turning into a badass. I’m mostly annoyed by Disney trying to create great female character in SW, only they already had one primed and ready for the big screen. Her character development is brilliantly done.

AaronRedDevil

Thought he slaughtered all those?
She was before that. They weren't together when he turned. I wont say anything else. The whole story is in Clone wars on Disney plus. Takes place between Attack of the clones and revenge of the sith. Brilliant show.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I hate the term filler episode

Feels like every TV show thread has people saying filler episode even when it's not?

Baby Yoda always trying to eat is a mood
Yeah it's annoying, if people think this is filler they should try watching anime filler episodes, they'll see there's a huge difference between a standard episode and a filler one. The closest the Mandalorian has ever come to filler is probably S2 E2.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That was so good!! Filoni didn’t disappoint.

I thought Rosario Dawson did very well as Ahsoka & got a lot of the mannerisms from the animation series correct.

They can name him Grogu, but I’ll stick with Baby Yoda. Ahsoka sensing the fear in him & being reminded of Anakin was a cool moment. Figured last week he wasn’t a clone, but very interesting he was trained at the Jedi Temple yet managed to escape the purge. I wonder if the Jedi who helped him escape will be the one who senses his presence (assuming he/she’s still alive)... or will they go for Luke?!

I didn’t know a lightsaber couldn’t penetrate beskar, that makes Mando even more badass. The spear also gives him something to go up against the Darksaber.

Enjoyed the scene between Ahsoka & the magistrate... and the reveal of Thrawn!!! fecking awesome! How does he fit in with Moff Gideon and the fact he’s still out there suggests that Ahsoka’s not finished with her task with Sabine at the end of Rebels... I don’t think we’ll see her in Mando again but this potentially sets up her own series.

Tribec

That was so good!! Filoni didn’t disappoint.

I thought Rosario Dawson did very well as Ahsoka & got a lot of the mannerisms from the animation series correct.

They can name him Grogu, but I’ll stick with Baby Yoda. Ahsoka sensing the fear in him & being reminded of Anakin was a cool moment. Figured last week he wasn’t a clone, but very interesting he was trained at the Jedi Temple yet managed to escape the purge. I wonder if the Jedi who helped him escape will be the one who senses his presence (assuming he/she’s still alive)... or will they go for Luke?!

I didn’t know a lightsaber couldn’t penetrate beskar, that makes Mando even more badass. The spear also gives him something to go up against the Darksaber.

Enjoyed the scene between Ahsoka & the magistrate... and the reveal of Thrawn!!! fecking awesome! How does he fit in with Moff Gideon and the fact he’s still out there suggests that Ahsoka’s not finished with her task with Sabine at the end of Rebels... I don’t think we’ll see her in Mando again but this potentially sets up her own series.
The only thing about Dawson's performance I didn't enjoy was the voice, I'm so used to hearing Ashley Eckstein, that it just sounded a bit off for me.

As for which jedi we've know of that potentially of 4 other jedi's available Luke, Leia or Ezra who are out and about and a very young Kylo Ren (he would be aged around 4 years old during the show). We can rule out Leia for sure, Kylo is a probably no as being that young we'd expect him to be around Leia and Han. So that leaves Luke and Ezra, my guess with the reveal of Thrawn that we might get to see Ezra. I'm not sure we'll get Luke, of course they could get another jedi, I saw major rumours last week over a jedi potentially returning, but I'm ruling that one out.

As for Thrawn, I'm guessing that Gideon is his puppet.

ha_rooney

The only thing about Dawson's performance I didn't enjoy was the voice, I'm so used to hearing Ashley Eckstein, that it just sounded a bit off for me.

As for which jedi we've know of that potentially of 4 other jedi's available Luke, Leia or Ezra who are out and about and a very young Kylo Ren (he would be aged around 4 years old during the show). We can rule out Leia for sure, Kylo is a probably no as being that young we'd expect him to be around Leia and Han. So that leaves Luke and Ezra, my guess with the reveal of Thrawn that we might get to see Ezra. I'm not sure we'll get Luke, of course they could get another jedi, I saw major rumours last week over a jedi potentially returning, but I'm ruling that one out.

As for Thrawn, I'm guessing that Gideon is his puppet.
Yeah the voice was a bit of an adjustment, especially as they kept Bo-Katan’s actress the same.

My response/theory on the Jedi... Ezra is the obvious choice from the ones we are aware of. I don’t see them using any of the Skywalkers in the TV show. The only reason I’m sceptical of it being Ezra is if Thrawn’s still out there & Ahsoka’s still chasing him, it suggests Ezra’s still missing or something happened to him between end of Rebels & this Mando episode. I think it’s possible it’ll be another Jedi who survived Order 66 (someone like a Kanan, maybe the one who protected Baby Yoda)... if the rumours of the Jedi you’ve seen are the same as the one I’ve read, then as cool as it may be, they’ll need to explain a lot!!

I also think they’ll keep Thrawn separate to The Mandalorian & look to include him in an Ahsoka spin-off. Thrawn’s a villain that I don’t see Mando stopping himself without Ahsoka. At the moment, I think it’s more likely Moff Gideon is the main villain for the Mando series & that will allow the focus of the show to remain with Mando & the Mandalorians without shifting it to Ahsoka/Jedi.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Grand Admiral Thrawn ...OMFG!!! Just when we were happy with Tano, we get Thrawn name dropped in casually!

Good episode. Ahsoka's into was super cool. An episode where Mando deservedly takes a backseat. Visually stunning, action scenes were super cool and overall an exciting watch!

Grogu is a meh name though. Looks like Ezra will be making a comeback too. Ahsoka was searching for him anyway and probably found him.

Some deserved credit to Timothy Zahn. Is he involved in the series somehow?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
For anyone who hasn't seen Clone Wars - did that episode make sense, and was it good? In context yes, but without I'm not sure.

Also, name-dropping Tython - they're re-canonising that SWTOR story without properly doing it with KOTOR/KOTOR2 :mad:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Thrawn’s a villain that I don’t see Mando stopping himself without Ahsoka. At the moment, I think it’s more likely Moff Gideon is the main villain for the Mando series & that will allow the focus of the show to remain with Mando & the Mandalorians without shifting it to Ahsoka/Jedi.
I don't think Thrawn will be the antagonist in this series. It'd widen to scope to include space fleet battles and such and move away from Mando. Moff Gideon will be the main antagonist and we'll see guest appearances of Thrawn throughout potentially leading to another series/spinoff to take care of Thrawn problem.

ha_rooney

I don't think Thrawn will be the antagonist in this series. It'd widen to scope to include space fleet battles and such and move away from Mando. Moff Gideon will be the main antagonist and we'll see guest appearances of Thrawn throughout potentially leading to another series/spinoff to take care of Thrawn problem.
Kenobi & Bad Batch aside, it’ll be interesting what else they put out as a Disney+ series. Ahsoka’s an obvious one, but really they could pick anything at any point in time & run with it.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Kenobi & Bad Batch aside, it’ll be interesting what else they put out as a Disney+ series. Ahsoka’s an obvious one, but really they could pick anything at any point in time & run with it.
Wedge and X-Wing is an obvious avenue.
If up to me, I'd choose Darth Bane and Rule of Two plot line, but that might be a bit too dark for Disney+.

Sylar

For anyone who hasn't seen Clone Wars - did that episode make sense, and was it good? In context yes, but without I'm not sure.

Also, name-dropping Tython - they're re-canonising that SWTOR story without properly doing it with KOTOR/KOTOR2 :mad:
It was great, probably my fav episode of the 2 seasons.
I didnt mark out for any of the name drops, bt at the same time, Im not as fussed about how somebodys voice is like others on here. (not that theyre fussed, but an adjustment to what theyre used to I guess).
Rosaria was fantastic and had good chemistry with Mando, but then again, ive enjoyed Mandos interactions with a lot of people this season.

Baby Yoda getting named, I wasnt sure if the name was meant to be a big thing or not in the whole universe, or whether it was random :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Baby Yoda getting named, I wasnt sure if the name was meant to be a big thing or not in the whole universe, or whether it was random :lol:
99.9% sure his name has nothing to do with anything in previous star wars stuff.

ha_rooney

Wedge and X-Wing is an obvious avenue.
If up to me, I'd choose Darth Bane and Rule of Two plot line, but that might be a bit too dark for Disney+.
That would be awesome :drool:

They need to offer some sort of PIN option on Disney+ or make Hulu available so we can have darker/not kid friendly shows. I’m still waiting for Deadpool & Logan to be added.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Yeah it was fine for me, I have very little knowledge and followed it fine. Although I think the average viewer would struggle to link her and Anakin together.

Ahsoka was a badass, the acting, voice, visuals were brilliant.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

I don't think there's any way they aren't going to do a KOTOR series at some point, they know it's an absolute goldmine.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Well hell, I guess there’s a whole ‘nother animated series I need to watch. I binged Clone Wars during lockdown but never got around to Rebels.