Television The Mandalorian - TV Show

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
The final episode was excellent, but I was a little underwhelmed by the dark troopers. I wanted to see them go apeshit for a bit before being defeated. They were very easily disposed of, twice.
Yeah the airlock trick was a bit cheap, but apart from that I found the dark troopers sufficiently established as deadly murder machines. We saw Mando struggle badly with just one of them, and only his magical plot Beskar armor saved him from having his head bashed to a pulp (again... wait, I just now got how this scene could be seen as a tongue-in-cheek nudge to his GoT death :D). Luke casually slaughtering a platoon of them was the payoff for 30 years of waiting for him to show his full powers :lol:

Last edited:

GazTheLegend

The clones are snoke prototypes. Unless you have another theory? So, how the heck is that ignoring the ST?

In the (i think) second to last episode of S2 one of the officers gives a speech about bringing ORDER to the galaxy. It could not have been more clear what that meant. Other officers also have first order insignia.

And as for Thrawn, he is now a canon character who has been used in rebels. So why wouldn't they use him here? Makes sense.
I won't derail the thread (I could talk about Star Wars for hours) but it's clear to me at least how deliberately and carefully written the Mandalorian has been in comparison to the movies, down to details like the colour of a certain lightsaber in the series Vs the movie. Maybe that enhances the scarcely explained movies for some (you have to admit that "somehow Palatine returned" and "Rey Skywalker" are up there with the cringiest things any film has ever done?), but all it has done with regard to the films themselves is cast Abrams and Johnson's questionable decision making in an even harsher light. Extremely excited to see where they go from here though, my Christmas Disney plus experiment has been worth it for the Mandalorian alone :lol:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah the airlock trick was a bit cheap, but apart from that I found the dark troopers sufficiently established as deadly murder machines. We saw Mando struggle badly with just one of them, and only his magical plot Beskar armor saved him from having his head bashed to a pulp (again... wait, I just now got how this scene could be seen as a tongue-in-cheek nudge to his GoT death :D). Luke casually slaughtering a platoon of them was the payoff for 30 years of waiting for him to show his full powers :lol:
Put this in a spoiler tab!!!

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I don't think you actually need spoiler tags at this point anyway, if I remember the rules correctly.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don't think you actually need spoiler tags at this point anyway, if I remember the rules correctly.
As soon as an episode airs, spoiler tags aren’t needed. I think it was more the fact everyone was amazed at what happened & didn’t want anyone to get accidental spoilers. Luckily I watched the episode before going onto Twitter as that place was flooded with spoilers.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I often think about how safe Mando would be from Covid.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This has grown on me. Nearing the end of s1 now.

It’s presented perfectly. Feels like the old school Star Wars because of the grain and colours, which is great. This is how all modern Star Wars should look.

The sound is impressive throughout too. The music, the theme, and the general mixing. Possibly the best I’ve ever heard.

There still isn’t a whole load of story but there’s more now than there was initially. It is mostly about epic moments. The droid going ham on the stormtroopers being my favourite yet.

Also baby yods is well cute.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Tried this out. Got to near enough the end of season 1, thought it was okay.

Appreciated the sparseness and emptiness of each episode and how there'd be long stretches of total silence. The samurai/Western/Star Wars crossover stuff was cool. Baby Yoda was funny. Reminded me a bit of Star Trek Next Generation as well, which I watched on TV as a kid.

In the end, though, I just wasn't into the character work they kept trying to force on me and I thought the production, despite being impressive enough technically and pretty immersive, was dry as a bone coming out of my TV. Dunno what it is about Disney's output since about 2017 but 99% of their stuff looks so bland now.

The Lion King, Mulan, Aladdin, even The Rise of Skywalker and The Mandalorian to some extent - my eyes just shrivel up. These things cost hundreds of millions of dollars and they wind up looking like tech demos. No bright colours, no emphasis on the unrealism and fantasy of it all. Far too plain for my liking.

Then I heard about the SPOILERS from season 2 - chiefly all the SUPER EXCITING AND NOT AT ALL CONTRIVED cameos - and I was bored just reading about them. One thing I really appreciated about Mando was how it stayed away from the tedious politics and mythology of the original trilogy. But nope, couldn't resist!

Glad it's brought some harmony back to the Star Wars fan community and I definitely see the appeal, just ain't my bag sadly.

Sylar

Thats a lot of words for something that doesnt appeal for you :)

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
One thing I took from it is that Bill Burr is a good fecking actor. Missed opportunity to make him a permanent member of the gang.

roseguy64

Not really convinced. The weekly adventure formula is a bit lame to me honestly. Sure it's fun seeing Tattooine in stuff, but meh. I'll keep watching it though, who knows, might pick up at some point.

By the way, was the Sniper Lady, Street Fighter the movie's Chun Li? :lol:
Can't believe no one pulled you up on this. Show more respect to Agent Melinda May and Fa Mulan buddy.

roseguy64

Sometimes Star Wars fans (wrongly) balk at the idea that Star Wars films are designed for children, as if that's a bad thing. But (as the TV critic Alan Sepinwall says in this positive review of the latest episode) this is absolutely a show designed for both children and inner children.

Obviously the writing is more simplistic, episodic and cliché-heavy than material designed for a mature audience but that doesn't make it bad (as some detractors seem to suggest). Rather it knows exactly what it is and it plays to its strengths.

They also know how to handle fan service (something I personally would often tend to balk at) well.

Having Luke appear could easily feel like more of the toxic nostalgia that blighted so many of the recent Star Wars films but in this context it absolutely serves the story. He was simply the most appropriate character to respond to Grogu's call. The fact that it also delighted the inner children of a load of Star Wars geeks is happy synergy.
Wow. I used to read Sepinwall's reviews every week a few years ago. Glad to see he's still going.

roseguy64

Damn this show really exceeded my expectations.. Very cool! Really curious how they will proceed in S3.

Because of my enthousiasm I started watching the animated series The Clone Wars.. If you are into the Star Wars universe.. Very big recommendations for this from my side (even though Ive only gotten half ways season 2 so far..) Very much enjoying this!
I've also started Clone Wars. Was halfway through season 1 when I was informed by a reaction video about The Mandalorian that it should be watched in chronological order, not release order.