Television The Many Saints of Newark | Sopranos Prequel

cyberman

Its jarring how this is so stylized yet the series looked so grounded. I just hope they dont treat young Tony as some sort of prophesied future king with dialogue about how great he can become.

He was the head of a glorified crew after all

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Second trailer:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well he’s the spitting image of his dad so that’s good. They nailed that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Looks interesting but it should have been a series for sure. I hope they don’t decide to put out a few movies instead.
Why out of interest?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Why out of interest?
I just feel like they would be missing a trick to not build on all the character development of the show, to just bang out a random movie or two of Tony on the way up could do it a slight disservice. the movie will probably jump off just as he’s being made so it could end up giving off a pretty franchised feel or something. There is a window there for another good show if they can keep the core cast.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
General consensus seems to be "meh".

Also a small thing I noticed in the trailers that irritated me in a minor way:

In the TV show Tony and Silvio are supposedly around the same age, went to school together and we're told they were in their own little gang when they were young. Yet in the trailers we see Tony still in school and Silvio older, balding and already involved in the crime shit, with the actor playing him 16 years older than the actor playing Tony. Timeline got fecked up.

Bobade

Really hard to see this being that good. Looks from the trailer like an OK gangster movie, but The Sopranos was so, so much more than that. I can kind of understand why you wouldn't want to try to recreate that though, as you'd be going up against the best TV of all time (imo).

AaronRedDevil

Yeah I left a review on the movie thread of my impression on it. Sadly it was meh.

.The Many Saints of Newark.

The whole movie mostly focused on Christopher’s dad. He was a good character in the movie. It was fun seeing a younger Silvio, Paulie, Junior. The actress that played Livia did a great job being the usual annoying bitch that she is. It was a great idea picking James Gandolfini real son. He definetly has his sly smile when he’s on the screen. Everyone did a good job playing these characters but obviously not as good as the OG’s. My major gripe with this movie is that it focus on this African American family through almost half the movie for no reason. While it was focused on them, it didn’t pay anything to the movie up until the end and even then they could have done it without the family being in it. It ruined what we all want to see IMO. There wasn’t enough time spent on Silvio and Paulie together which I would have really liked. Not enough time on junior either. I felt being left wanting more which is ironic compared to the shows ending. It wasn’t a bad movie but it wasn’t that great either. I’ll give it a 5/10

Leg-End

Watched it last night, will spoiler impressions.

Under utilised some key Soprano's characters for me and had some jarring fan service. The focus being all on Dickie was interesting but by the end you are left wanting more from the characters you know from the series, Johnny up and leaves from the movie with no impact, Ray Liotta playing two characters seemed odd. The guy playing Silvio actually had the mannerisms down but I think verged too far past the point of parody, it was like an SNL sketch. Uncle Jun was genuinely good though, shame he repeated a couple of classic lines.

The blind baseball scene...........I have no idea what that was all about.

Ending any fan knew was coming but the impact really wasn't there, bit of a damp squib. On the plus side I like Gandolfini's acting and again would have liked to have seen more of him in the movie, considering he doesn't turn up for the first hour of it.

cyberman

To be fair they couldn’t spend much time on the OG characters since their cosplay would be exposed.
They needed to go back further in time and have them all much younger so it isn’t as jarring

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
As a stand alone movie its definitely a bit meh, but it feels like they've just used this film as a massive set up for a sequel.

Personally feel they've missed a massive opportunity for a multi season TV show rather than a movie.

peridigm

As a stand alone movie its definitely a bit meh, but it feels like they've just used this film as a massive set up for a sequel.

Personally feel they've missed a massive opportunity for a multi season TV show rather than a movie.
Just finished it. Agree.

Zen

Watched it last night, will spoiler impressions.

Under utilised some key Soprano's characters for me and had some jarring fan service. The focus being all on Dickie was interesting but by the end you are left wanting more from the characters you know from the series, Johnny up and leaves from the movie with no impact, Ray Liotta playing two characters seemed odd. The guy playing Silvio actually had the mannerisms down but I think verged too far past the point of parody, it was like an SNL sketch. Uncle Jun was genuinely good though, shame he repeated a couple of classic lines.

The blind baseball scene...........I have no idea what that was all about.

Ending any fan knew was coming but the impact really wasn't there, bit of a damp squib. On the plus side I like Gandolfini's acting and again would have liked to have seen more of him in the movie, considering he doesn't turn up for the first hour of it.
I''ve bolded something in your spoiler.... what are you referring to exactly?

That Junior was behind it? Because I'm not sure 'any fan' knew that was coming at all.... in fact I'm trying to find old guesses by filtering out the recent updates from this and none even seem to suggest him. Obviously the Haydu thing is still up for the debate since we don't actually know if that's him pulling the trigger - but it could be... I actually think it is more than ever.

Leg-End

I''ve bolded something in your spoiler.... what are you referring to exactly?

That Junior was behind it? Because I'm not sure 'any fan' knew that was coming at all.... in fact I'm trying to find old guesses by filtering out the recent updates from this and none even seem to suggest him. Obviously the Haydu thing is still up for the debate since we don't actually know if that's him pulling the trigger - but it could be... I actually think it is more than ever.
No I meant that Dickie was whacked outside his house which most people would know. The implication that Junior was behind it because he couldn’t keep a hard on was new, but for me it didn’t have the impact I thought it would.

Zen

Ah, yeah. I didn't even think of that, I think watching this (and even the Breaking Bad movie) would be truly odd without watching the series. So it didn't even clock to me you were talking along those lines :lol:

I thought it was solid anyway, very respectful to the canon - without doing any damage from new revelations - little bit hammy at times, but I have no problem with it and more if they are of the same ilk and the ideas are coming from Chase mainly.

Giggs86

A masterpiece, way better than I expected. Usually those projects never turn up to be good but this one was amazing.

All the small things and references were simply amazing:
Junior's classic varsity athlete delivery, "your sister's cnut", him being so petty;
Livia's effect on young Tony, "poor you", the meds that he wanted her to take and what eventually pushed him to seek counseling years later;
Tony, Artie and Jackie Aprile in the ice cream van, loved that;
Joey Diaz playing Pussy's father, amazing casting;
Pauly being classic Pauly, amazing delivery;
Little Christopher crying when he hears Tony's voice;
Holsten's - where Tony was waiting for Dickie while he got whacked, is the same Holsten's where Tony would get whacked himself years later.

The only thing that I didn't really like was Silvio - first of all, he was supposed to be Tony's age, not 15 years older. That seemed very weird because we know he is from the same generation as Tony, Jackie and Artie. He is not supposed to be old as Pauly.

Overall, great great movie. Those who didn't like the movie are either people who are not true Sopranos geeks or those who wanted a prequel that is all about the characters from the Sopranos. My advice is just take the movie for what it is - the main actor is Dickie and the story is about him mainly, not about the Sopranos.