• Yes but only if it’s mandatory

Votes: 96 14.3%
  • Only in stores and public transport

Votes: 126 18.8%
  • No (for health reasons)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • No (believe it doesn’t help)

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • No (don’t like being told what to do. My choice)

Votes: 12 1.8%

• Total voters

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Seems like it’s a growing thing, people either will wear it or dead set against it for various reasons. What say you?

EDIT: for clarity, I’m talking about situations where you are going to encounter people in close situations and not be able to social distancing such as using trains/busses/taxis or going into shops, or other public buildings.
very slim chance of picking it up outdoors if you social distance. Obviously If you attend a concert, protest, rally or something where you cant social distance then that’s a different scenario.

Last edited:

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I didn't realise this would be a debate for any level headed human who cares about other humans? Masks prevent you from transmitting the virus to others; if you care about the people around you, probably wear a mask.

Drawfull

Masks are mandatory here in Spain unless you can guarantee social distancing, but I wear one every time I am in public. It looks like most people around me are doing the same, too. It helps that they're readily available and subject to price control from the government.

Skills

Snitch
I haven't had to wear one so far - nobody is asked to wear it at work, though we are made to adhere to the social distancing guidelines quite strictly (2m apart, we sit 1 desk apart and all the floor spaces are marked to let you know the number of people allowed in them at one time).

But sure, if I'm out in public I'll wear one.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
You left off the ‘my body is my temple and god would be offended if I covered up the reflection of his glory’ option.

SirAF

Ageist
In places riddled with the virus such as the UK and US? feck yes, you’d be an idiot not to. Here in blissful Norway? Nah, not needed atm.

neverdie

In places riddled with the virus such as the UK and US? feck yes, you’d be an idiot not to. Here in blissful Norway? Nah, not needed atm.
I agree. It depends on the situation wherever you are.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Noone wears it here, so i picked the "Only if mandatory" one, since i couldn't find an alternative that really fitted.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I didn't realise this would be a debate for any level headed human who cares about other humans? Masks prevent you from transmitting the virus to others; if you care about the people around you, probably wear a mask.
All of them? Most people I've seen wearing masks are wearing those cheap flimsy ones. How effective are they really? My fiancee bought us a box of 50 from Boots and I tried one on. It's not very good, they don't properly seal around your face and there's plenty of gaps.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'll wear a mask if mandatory or if I'm going to be in a place with a lot of people but it wouldn't wear it if I had the choice.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
All of them? Most people I've seen wearing masks are wearing those cheap flimsy ones. How effective are they really? My fiancee bought us a box of 50 from Boots and I tried one on. It's not very good, they don't properly seal around your face and there's plenty of gaps.
I agree, I think there needs to be some kind of broadcast and if there had been a repeated broadcast showing designs and effectiveness of masks. People could be wearing masks thinking it’s all well and good to go places yet not have an adequate mask or covering.

ive also seen people in built up areas with no masks on but then occasionally see people walking their dogs in the middle of nowhere or riding a bike with a mask on.

basically, there’s been no clear judo from what I’ve seen

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I wear one cos I don’t wanna come across as an asshole. But I’m not convinced they really do anything, especially the cloth kind I see most people wearing.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yeah you'd still have to keep your distance and not get coughed on. At least if you're both wearing masks the amount of virus that can transmitted is low and therefore it should prevent you from catching something in most cases

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It probably hasn't been helped by various sources of misinformation that have been distributed since the start of this, certainly in the UK. It seemed like the media flip-flopped on masks being useful, to them not being useful, to them being useful again, as well as being instructed not to buy them because you'll prevent people who really need them for getting a mask. There's also been a lot of contradictory information about which type of mask actually works, at which point I just figured having something over my face is surely better than nothing when in public.

There should have been firmer instruction on it from the top very early on. People are coming around to it now, I only got mine a couple of weeks back, but I still feel mask-wearers are in quite a small minority where I am.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If there was no coronavirus and people said that wearing a mask protected your from the “government’s 5G” then all these people not wearing would be the ones wearing them. There are always people who just exist to go against the grain.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I thought this was a debate about the movie, The Mask

acnumber9

Until the Government can give consistent advice on them I don’t see it happening. I kind of think they should be made available for free too.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
2nd wave just around the corner for us i think, especially for Oslo after the gathering to show support for BLM and everything easing up otherwise.

I doubt the virus gives a flying feck it is Norway or a 3rd world countries like Sweden. :p

I've been isolating now since March or April I think. :lol:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
We are working at home at the moment but work have sent us 4 masks out in the post. I've not checked them out yet as I've not been anywhere but when I eventually do I will have no issue with wearing one.

SirAF

Ageist
2nd wave just around the corner for us i think, especially for Oslo after the gathering to show support for BLM and everything easing up otherwise.

I doubt the virus gives a flying feck it is Norway or a 3rd world countries like Sweden. :p

I've been isolating now since March or April I think. :lol:
In Oslo? Definitely! In Møre & Romsdal, especially the southern part, it’s been really quiet - if there is just one single case that makes the news. Going forward it depends on how many idiots insist on travelling during the summer :lol:

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Sssssssomebody stop me from increasing the risk of infection in situations where it is difficult to practise social distancing - for example, in shops or on busy public transport - by encouraging me to wear a cloth face mask.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I wear one in stores, offices and public transports otherwise mainly because I think that it makes the people working in these places more comfortable.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I mean the degree to which they work will depend on the mask but anything preventing you projecting aerosol is better than nothing?

lynchie

I live in a small town, so it's been easy to keep my distance from others. If/when I have to go back into the city, I'll wear one for the commute and if I need to use any crowded shops. If I'm honest, I find people wearing them in wide open spaces a bit odd.

Cait Sith

I wear them because we have to wear them in Germany but I doubt it does anything. People are grabbing their masks non stop (on and off, on and off, on and off), no one has a proper FFP3 mask (most have self made masks made of old clothes), who knows how often they are being washed properly etc.

That's hardly achieving anything I would guess.

mu4c_20le

Should be a fourth No option: I can't breathe. Genuinely believe that some people find it hard to breathe in them but refuse to admit it out of pride, and instead parrot stupid excuses like personal choice.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
In Oslo? Definitely! In Møre & Romsdal, especially the southern part, it’s been really quiet - if there is just one single case that makes the news. Going forward it depends on how many idiots insist on travelling during the summer :lol:
True. In-laws saw a ton of people (probably 100~) go to the beach here in Alta.
Only case in Finnmark last time i checked was in Båtsfjord, and that was someone traveling there who was sick beforehand.

I still don't feel like going outside. Horrified over the idea of going to Hammerfest (for any reason) to the hospital where they have doctors being in contact with patients while they talk openly to colleagues about being quarantined for x-more days.

Alta is also recruiting temp doctors for home-help to elderly people. They are checking them but they are letting them work after 2 days post testing, without having gotten the damn results. Those doctors are supposed to work with elderly people. Absurd situation up here. :lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Here in Denmark very few wear masks and we have low infection rates, so I feel okay with just keeping hygiene and social distancing.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I do it where necessary (public transport). Not that I ever use public transport since Im not a fecking peasant.

I'm kidding I just prefer my bicycle.

More and more people seem to refuse to wear one out of some weird form of libertariansim or something. That and the denial of science that the upcoming alt-right morons are injecting into society.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I think the UK is at 1/1500 people have Covid at the moment, and a good percentage of the population will have some immunity as they've had it (10%?)

I doubt they Norway is much safer than the UK right now.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not sure how much of a debate there is since most people seem to be on board with wearing them. You can't get into shops here without one.

The only time I don't wear one is when I wake up to job at 0530 when there's no one else outside - although I still carry one in my pocket just in case I need it.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I think the UK is at 1/1500 people have Covid at the moment, and a good percentage of the population will have some immunity as they've had it (10%?)

I doubt they Norway is much safer than the UK right now.
London alone has more than twice as many people as the whole of Norway, which is much bigger than the whole of UK.
It's not very crowded here, we don't have to sit on strangers to get everyone in one bus.