Film The Matrix Resurrections

Fingeredmouse

Good film I thought but you can always find stuff it's borrowed or adapted from and stuff that was borrowed from etc. Even first seeing it and having no idea of the source material I got massive 1984 vibes.

Same with the matrix really. I get the invisibles links but it clearly hasn't just copied it and it's clearly not the only material that it's borrowed ideas from. It's just how writing works when there's so much material already there.
It is a good film and yes, there's other influences other than Morrison but there's so many similarities: the aesthetics, the kung fu and dojo, building jump tests, the mirror, the overarching gnostic themes and the fact you could pretty much storyboard the Matrix using panels from the Invisibles makes it more than artistic borrowing. It's an egregious example of full on plagiarism, with the only significant change being swapping higher dimensional beings for the AI run wild cliche.

As an example, look at the similarities here:

Agent Smith's speech to Morpheus:
I'd like to share a revelation I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague, and we are the cure.
Tom's speech to Jack in Issue 3:
Our world is sick, boy. Very sick. A virus got in a long time ago and we've got so used to its effects, we've forgotten what it was like before we became ill. I'm talking about cities, see? Human cultures were originally homeostatic, they existed in a self-sustaining equilibrium, with no notions of time and progress, like we've got. Then the city-virus got in. No one's really sure where it came from or who brought it to us, but like all viral organisms, its one directive is to use up all available resources in producing copies of itself. More and more copies until there's no raw material left and the host body, overwhelmed, can only die

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It is going to be absolutely awful - I lost all confidence in them with those two shockingly terribly Matrix sequels.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Trailer looks decent and Trinity and Neo have aged pretty well. Are people expecting it to have an ending opening up more sequels or a neat happy, conclusive one?

Charlie Foley

He reminded me of that Friends episode when Joey uses Microsoft Word's synonym options to change every word in his document so he sounds more intelligent, including signing off the letter with "Yours, Baby Kangaroo".
Full sized aortic pumps!

Charlie Foley

Yeah, since Matrix 3 they've made Speed Racer, Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending.

Jesus Christ.
I’ve not seen the other two you mention but Cloud Atlas was one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. Almost 3 hours I’ll never get back

Pickle85

Good film I thought but you can always find stuff it's borrowed or adapted from and stuff that was borrowed from etc. Even first seeing it and having no idea of the source material I got massive 1984 vibes.

Same with the matrix really. I get the invisibles links but it clearly hasn't just copied it and it's clearly not the only material that it's borrowed ideas from. It's just how writing works when there's so much material already there.
Yep, agreed. So much that's written build, borrows or outright rips off other works that have gone before. I'm sure there's some dystopian authoritarian state precursor to 1984 - none spring to mind immediately - that Orwell has a debt to as well.
I think there’s truth to what you’re both saying. It’s a decent movie (great cast!) but the comic book is so much better, and the changes they made in putting the film together really watered it down.
Have to say I never read the comic but have heard great things.

Charlie Foley

Yep, agreed. So much that's written build, borrows or outright rips off other works that have gone before. I'm sure there's some dystopian authoritarian state precursor to 1984 - none spring to mind immediately - that Orwell has a debt to as well.

Have to say I never read the comic but have heard great things.
It’s the only “graphic novel” (I think that’s the proper term) I’ve ever read but it’s really excellent. Strongly recommend.

Charlie Foley

Have you read the entire series?
I read, I guess, the collected edition: it included the Behind the Painted Smile essay, and I think two short strips outside the main storyline. Printed in colour. I’m not sure how much is left out of that edition if any

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I read, I guess, the collected edition: it included the Behind the Painted Smile essay, and I think two short strips outside the main storyline. Printed in colour. I’m not sure how much is left out of that edition if any
I think that has all three volumes (so you know Mason Lang and Takashi and the point of Barbelith). I think you got everything. I don't know that essay by name, was that the final thing Morrison wrote where he says he intended The Invisibles as a magick spell to shift reality? I read the comics as they came out in the 90s as comics so I'm not sure about the later graphic novel editions.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Really hoping this doesn't suck. I have watched the Fire tone like 70 +times.

Charlie Foley

I think that has all three volumes (so you know Mason Lang and Takashi and the point of Barbelith). I think you got everything. I don't know that essay by name, was that the final thing Morrison wrote where he says he intended The Invisibles as a magick spell to shift reality? I read the comics as they came out in the 90s as comics so I'm not sure about the later graphic novel editions.
Oh we are getting our wires crossed. I was talking about V for Vendetta!

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I'm currently 1 of 6 people seeing this at the printworks IMAX on Christmas Eve, inexplicably 2 people appear to have purposefully reserved seats to one side of the theatre.

Bizarre.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm currently 1 of 6 people seeing this at the printworks IMAX on Christmas Eve, inexplicably 2 people appear to have purposefully reserved seats to one side of the theatre.

Bizarre.
I imagine they will then disperse them between both sides. It’s an easy way of ensuring 50% capacity.

I’m booked in to watch it Wednesday evening with my parter who isn’t bother about watching it and is already hinting that she’s not comfortable going to a cinema with things how they are. Fine going to pubs through :lol:

Sweet Square

Don’t know if I can post it but have just seen a clip of the film and it looks like a parody(Someone tweeted it looks like a MTV Movie Awards skit). Hopefully it’s just that one scene.

ChrisNelson

Bizarre.
In my local Odeon I always book the seat on the far end from the aisle, next to the wall, because of the recliner seats.

You don't have to move for anyone and no one ever blocks your view :) I basically own seat C1/ C12 (depending on the layout!) in each screen at Derby :)

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Booked in to see it this afternoon now, I’m unreasonably excited about it. The Matrix is basically my Star Wars, so much nostalgia around it. I’ll be surprised if I don’t really enjoy it even if others think it’s shit.

M16Red

Watching this tonight. Looking for forward to it. Watch the first after a friend of the family pick it up at an IT conference on VHS way before the release date.

That film blew my young mind, the second and third were crap though.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Getting savaged by some critics but feckit, I've set my expectations accordingly and will watch later.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Booked in to see it this afternoon now, I’m unreasonably excited about it. The Matrix is basically my Star Wars, so much nostalgia around it. I’ll be surprised if I don’t really enjoy it even if others think it’s shit.
That's what I'm hoping will be the case. We know it is likely to be a bit shit, but as long as it's better than the 3rd (I actually like 2, I just think it gets dragged down by 3) then I'll be ok soaking up the memberberries for this one!

Withnail

That's what I'm hoping will be the case. We know it is likely to be a bit shit, but as long as it's better than the 3rd (I actually like 2, I just think it gets dragged down by 3) then I'll be ok soaking up the memberberries for this one!
From looking at the reviews it's getting it's likely to be closer to 2 in quality than that feckin shitshow of a third movie.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
:lol:

I'm guessing in a not "OH LOOK IT'S RICK AND MORTY CLEVER LOL!" kind of way. But more in a, "yeah we stole all our best ideas and the world created wasn't even ours, now we have half of us and we think meta is still the future" kind of way :(
It’s sort of clever but also felt a bit cheap. Like this:

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I think the choice to cast Captain Jack Sparrow was a very poor one.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Painful. I wasn't expecting it to be amazing but feck me.

Act 1 was just a mess really. It felt like a SNL skit sending itself up.
Act 2 was boring,the stuff around the machines and new Zion was just so tame and Niobe’s old lady voice was painful. The friendly machines were pure Disney, especially the stingray with pretty eyes.
Act 3 was the best of the lot and having Smith save the day was almost a nice touch but felt somewhat out of character, but then he was designed by Neo so I guess it made sense. Trinity being ’the one“ was somewhat predictable and I’ll give it to Lana, it was probably something she was keen to do considering her own story.

Overall the main thing that bothered me was the distinct lack of any feeling of threat of menace. It felt very much like a video game where nothing really matters and you don’t care what actually happens. There was no purpose to The Matrix outside of The Matrix. What’s the point of control when Machine and Man had found a way to live in harmony? It existed only because it used to exist and a new machine wanted to prove he could make it work. They really missed a trick having one side of the machine war trying to suppress humans and the other half trying to free them.

JohnZSmith27

Act 1 was just a mess really. It felt like a SNL skit sending itself up.
Act 2 was boring,the stuff around the machines and new Zion was just so tame and Niobe’s old lady voice was painful. The friendly machines were pure Disney, especially the stingray with pretty eyes.
Act 3 was the best of the lot and having Smith save the day was almost a nice touch but felt somewhat out of character, but then he was designed by Neo so I guess it made sense. Trinity being ’the one“ was somewhat predictable and I’ll give it to Lana, it was probably something she was keen to do considering her own story.

Overall the main thing that bothered me was the distinct lack of any feeling of threat of menace. It felt very much like a video game where nothing really matters and you don’t care what actually happens. There was no purpose to The Matrix outside of The Matrix. What’s the point of control when Machine and Man had found a way to live in harmony? It existed only because it used to exist and a new machine wanted to prove he could make it work. They really missed a trick having one side of the machine war trying to suppress humans and the other half trying to free them.
You might wanna spoiler some of that :)

Agree with a lot of what you said. Just didn't feel like a Matrix movie to me.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
You might wanna spoiler some of that :)

Agree with a lot of what you said. Just didn't feel like a Matrix movie to me.
Think we have given up on spoilers now? Ts been released, people know better than to enter the thread now.