The McCariickenna Conundrum ft Micky Phelans (and all current coach discussions)

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Are we stuck with these guys forever? They've outlasted two managers at this point can they reach 5?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/manches...bed-offers-of-supportstars-lost-faith-sources

Sources have since said that several key players had become exasperated by an inability of Solskjaer and his coaches to make the team better, with one source telling ESPN that the players regarded the training as "too British" and unsuited to the requirements of the modern game at the elite level.

Solskjaer's coaching team was made up of former United players including Michael Carrick and Mike Phelan, as well as Northern Irishman Kieran McKenna. Several other coaches had previously worked with Solskjaer at Cardiff City, where he was relegated from the Premier League, and in Norway with Molde. Solskjaer's coaching team remains at the club, with the manager the sole departure as things stand. The club hired a set-piece coach, Eric Ramsay, in the summer.

Sources have said that the United hierarchy had become aware of the concerns over the quality of the coaching team and "offered Solskjaer every level of support and told him he could have whatever he needed to put it right."

Executive vice chairman Ed Woodward was told, however, that Solskjaer believed his coaches were world-class, forcing the club to back the manager's judgment.

Following Solskjaer's departure as manager, former United midfielder Carrick will take caretaker charge against Villarreal in the Champions League on Tuesday.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Richard hawkins outlasted. 5 managers, can't wait to read more about him in next thread.

Enigma_87

You know who
Currently not that much of an issue as we don’t have a new manager yet. Carrick should’ve taken the fault perhaps as well and us promoting a youth guy.

as soon as new manager comea he will employ new staff.

spiriticon

Their coaching is crap. It's been crap since the Mourinho days. I wonder how long it takes for the club to realise this.

I'll be very surprised if Carrick and Co suddenly come up with a progressive attacking plan after all this time. it would make me question their motives.

Were they purposely trying to get Ole sacked because they want the job for themselves?

Flytan

Ole literally said he doesn't coach the team and that they're in charge of training. I just don't understand how the club can't yeet them out along with Ole. It completely baffles me. Just literally have a player manager for a game or something.

Amir

Ole literally said he doesn't coach the team and that they're in charge of training. I just don't understand how the club can't yeet them out along with Ole. It completely baffles me. Just literally have a player manager for a game or something.
Ole said he doesn't do the coaching. So it's surely these guys
OK, but does that mean he had no involvement in how we play? What was the point of him, then? Do you take a couple of young guys, and expect them to successfully cover for the manager?

Skills

Snitch
I'm sure they'll do a good job putting out the cones under a head coach who actually takes first team training

Flytan

Inappropriate Content
OK, but does that mean he had no involvement in how we play? What was the point of him, then? Do you take a couple of young guys, and expect them to successfully cover for the manager?
No he has complete control in how he play. He should be instructing the coaches how to do training. I'm like 124901298489% Ole out, he was utterly useless. I just think you NEED to remove every aspect of him as manager and not only remove part of the tumor.

spiriticon

If their job is just to put out the cones and leave the head coach to sort everything out himself, I can do that for half of Carrick's wages.

What's woody's number? No one puts cones out better than me.

Fridge chutney

:lol:

Obviously not.

They'll be gone next season or perhaps even this season depending on the interim manager.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I hope they're all booted when the new manager comes in.

I have no idea what they've been doing the last 3 years.

hobbers

Any new manager is going to get rid of Phelan and Carrick.

McKenna might just get demoted.

AndyMUFC86

I’ve lost faith in these guys. They were all part of the team. Ole wasn’t involved in training so you could argue the work done on the training ground is basically what we were seeing on the pitch. And if the coaching hasn’t been what we’ve seen on the pitch then the coaching clearly doesn’t inspire the players.
For me these guys have to be held just as accountable as Ole was. I appreciate you can’t just remove them all in one swoop but let’s hope they get removed one by one and replaced with world class additions. One can hope anyway!

Amir

I just think you NEED to remove every aspect of him as manager and not only remove part of the tumor.
Well, this isn't a tumor. It's human beings, who may be terrible at what they do, I don't know. We have no one who can really evaluate their work, so I'll be happy for the next manager to do that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When you remove a manager, you need to remove his crew too. That's obvious.

It's nice to have old boys in the set-up somewhere, IF they're good enough, but it should still be limited to one of the many lower profile teams in the club, youth teams, academies etc

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
When you remove a manager, you need to remove his crew too. That's obvious.

It's nice to have old boys in the set-up somewhere, IF they're good enough, but it should still be limited to one of the many lower profile teams in the club, youth teams, academies etc
Probably best to wait until the new manager is hired though, along with his crew.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'm sure they'll do a good job putting out the cones under a head coach who actually takes first team training
Not sure about that. Carrick has now outlived two managers. He needs to get moved out, not get a promotion, even if temporary.

Hoof the ball

He does. He conceives of the vision of how we're meant to play. So, for example, Ole might say, "We want to keep possession well, improve in dealing with the high press and make our counter-attacks more incisive." Then it's the job of Phelan, Carrick and McKenna to then construct a coaching plan in which to practice and master those facets in the context of replicating real-game situations.

They are complicit as each other in this regard. Ole has limited tactical foresight and the coaches have limited technical expertise to help the players develop the system.

Seij

Every single one of them needs to be booted out the second a new manager comes in, whether it's an interim or long-term manager.

And that needs to happen ASAP. Knowing our board, they'll probably dillydally till the end of the season to even talk to any potential candidate. There goes yet another season wasted.

Andersons Dietician

Given that Ole is regularly seen in video clips at training, taking training it’s hard to believe he had no involvement. What most likely happens is he gives Carrick and the likes a brief of what he wants and then the schedule of what training players do is determined by Carrick, Mckenna and the likes.

Any way, we’ve read reports that even Carrick and McKenna weren’t impressed with what they’ve been asked to do and believed a more continental approach to football would be better and were annoyed at some of the players being left out and lack of rotation. So who really knows what or who the issues really are at the club.

What we do know is this has been building for over a year and now the wheels have well and truly come off and everyone is looking for someone to blame.

Pretty sure I also read Phelan is going otherwise you would think he’d have been the one put in caretaker position.

Adam-Utd

You know they suck, but you don't know what they are doing?

Reasonable Cafe logic
Not sure you quite understand.

I meant I don't know what they're doing as in it's not showing on the pitch.

What can you say their training has been doing for 3 years? smart ass.

hobbers

Problem with interim coaches is that they arent usually bringing a big staff along with them.

So likely the three stooges will be here until the summer.

Trequarista10

Tbh you just need one coach, possibly two, be it the manager or a senior coach, who has a tactical grand plan and philosophy. The rest of the coaches just need to be able to help implement that philosophy. Our coaches may well be good coaches, they may well be able to implement coaching sessions. However, we clearly need one or two senior people at the club with a more cohesive tactical plan to lead us from our current shambles to being well organized and effective tactically.

sparx99

No he has complete control in how he play. He should be instructing the coaches how to do training. I'm like 124901298489% Ole out, he was utterly useless. I just think you NEED to remove every aspect of him as manager and not only remove part of the tumor.
You can’t sack the entire coaching team 48hrs before our next game. You sack the manager and have one of them takeover for a game. Meanwhile you announce the new guy and do a deal for which of his team are also coming in.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I’m not worried about these muppets

Whoever the new manager is will bring in his own coaches/assistants.

Andersonson

Not sure you quite understand.

I meant I don't know what they're doing as in it's not showing on the pitch.

What can you say their training has been doing for 3 years? smart ass.
It's blatant you're clueless, so no point in discussing it. You're determined everyone is shit and your opinion is the answer.

Typical FM/FIFA-fan statement

Hoof the ball

We're entering a transition in elite football where it's not enough to have elite first-team coaches, but rather, managers who are themselves elite coaches too. Students of the game. Knowledgeable about Sacchi's innovations, about Zemen, Cruyff, about European tactical development, about coaching developments. Klopp cites Sacchi as a massive inspiration, for eg. This trend will continue. We cannot get left behind with managers that disengage how football is developing tactically. They need to be always learning, studying their craft, because if they don't, the other elite guys will.

klsv

Guess it's alright if they stick around until we get a new manager? Or do you want Ed and a team of kitchen ladies to take training for Villarreal and Chelsea?

Adam-Utd

It's blatant you're clueless, so no point in discussing it. You're determined everyone is shit and your opinion is the answer.

Typical FM/FIFA-fan statement
You're in no place to make any statement at all :lol:

I've determined Carrick and Mckenna are shit because that's exactly what they've shown. This is the most unorganised United side i've EVER seen. You think they're good enough? nice :D

They'll be gone with the new manager and quite rightly.

minoo-utd

Their coaching is very obvious to see by every one. Plain, poor and limited just like Ole.

lsd

The Oracle
Problem with interim coaches is that they arent usually bringing a big staff along with them.

So likely the three stooges will be here until the summer.

Yes i cannot see an interim manager having his own backroom staff so unless we do get a permanent manager in now we will be stuck with the three of them till the summer

lsd

The Oracle
Guess it's alright if they stick around until we get a new manager? Or do you want Ed and a team of kitchen ladies to take training for Villarreal and Chelsea?

Yes

SirMattlives

That article in the original post is strange -- can it really be that everyone, including board members, not just the players and the fans, could see there was a coaching problem and yet Ole refused any help and claimed his staff were 'world class'? Guess that explains a lot.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I’ve lost faith in these guys. They were all part of the team. Ole wasn’t involved in training so you could argue the work done on the training ground is basically what we were seeing on the pitch. And if the coaching hasn’t been what we’ve seen on the pitch then the coaching clearly doesn’t inspire the players.
For me these guys have to be held just as accountable as Ole was. I appreciate you can’t just remove them all in one swoop but let’s hope they get removed one by one and replaced with world class additions. One can hope anyway!
What do you guys think Ole did? If the gameplan came solely from the assistant coaches during training, what was the purpose of having a manager?
They would take the training sessions but the actual gameplan would of course come from the manager.

wolvored

I wonder when the next manager comes in (could even be next week if the Pocc stories are true) is told by the club he has to keep the Carrick/McKenna coaches on? I would demand to bring in my own staff and demote them to the kids if that was the case.