The McCariickenna Conundrum ft Micky Phelans (and all current coach discussions)

Denis79

No he has complete control in how he play. He should be instructing the coaches how to do training. I'm like 124901298489% Ole out, he was utterly useless. I just think you NEED to remove every aspect of him as manager and not only remove part of the tumor.
Usually new managers, especially good ones want their own staff. As soon as we appoint one, I'd guess many of Ole's back-room staff will hit the door.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
If Ole's backroom staff leaves, who will we have in the dugout for the remaining games? Ronaldo as player-manager? We've done zero planning so the only option is to keep the trio for now

monosierra

If Ole's backroom staff leaves, who will we have in the dugout for the remaining games? Ronaldo as player-manager? We've done zero planning so the only option is to keep the trio for now
Well, it seems for now that there is no contingency plan as the board had wanted to keep OGS and his staff for the whole season. Now that OGS is gone and the club is still securing an interim manager, we are forced to stick with the coaching staff as is. Its OK for a couple of games, in my view, though the timing is atrocious. The fatal mistake was the board believing that OGS could turn things around enough to last the season. Yet another delusional miscalculation.

lawliet354

The tune would change completely if the next managers are successful, don't think I've ever seen other fans of a club blaming some coaches instead of the managers' lack of skills.

Chelsea didn't completely reorganize the whole coaching staff after Tuchel came afaik, some of them left and some of them stayed and looks like they are fine. Maybe it's the managers after all that is the biggest factor on the team performing on the pitch

All this theory of looking for someone or something to blame always resurface since SAF left, while the answers is still not changed, the glazers and the board are incompetent and it shows in their inability to find a competent managers

Ole literally said he doesn't coach the team and that they're in charge of training. I just don't understand how the club can't yeet them out along with Ole. It completely baffles me. Just literally have a player manager for a game or something.
It's just typical of the United board to make a mess of everything. They are clueless and useless. Ole's assistants should have gone with him; we need a reset. The next permanent manager will have his own team, so they will be going anyway.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
They are a big part of the problem imo, eventually the guys that make the decisions will realise this.
It's incredible that most fans know this, but the board, don't.
That board needs to be done for gross misconduct or sheer incompetence.

Kramer

Of course the board will not keep these folks on much longer. They are incharge because we don’t have even an interim manager lined up for now. THAT is the shocking part of the planning.

When the interim is appointed, I’m sure he’ll have his own backroom staff.

Terrible way of running things though. Carrick and co will already know they’re days away from getting the sack.

peridigm

You can’t sack the entire coaching team 48hrs before our next game. You sack the manager and have one of them takeover for a game. Meanwhile you announce the new guy and do a deal for which of his team are also coming in.
It would be great if there were breaks throughout the season. They could be used to ease transition to a new manager. Something like a couple of weeks would do.

steffyr2

Looks like there are people who don't want anyone coming in and rocking the boat.

Red_toad

Anyone think Carrick had greater influence over the formation and tactics in the second half v Watford. VDB and Bruno ahead of Matic looked very different from what we’ve seen. I hope it gets carried on with Fred rotating with Matic.

L1nk

My only hope is whoever we get to come in the club doesn’t try and force any of these 3 of them as part of the deal, that set piece coach can get lost as well, useless

Red_toad

Looks like there are people who don't want anyone coming in and rocking the boat.
Looks like they’re many experts who think we can instantly sign the right manager and coaches, without making allowances for the owners methods of doing things. Carrick for a few games is probably the only viable option. Try being realistic and seeing things how they are, not how you want them to be.
Of course once we get a new manager the staff and players will be changed out, but the owners and upper level management will go through whatever their process is first.

Daengophile

Ole's coaching team needs to be dismissed en masse

And the players who downed tools should be sold off

Out with the dead wood who take the money and don't do anything for the club

Snuffkin

The coaches seemed to be firefighting problems recently. Basic errors especially in defence (being seen in premiership games) being sorted out as a reaction.
It should have been spotted in training games. Also I don't know how Donny wasn't spotted as being ready to improve our midfield. How he kept his motivation to stay fit is beyond me.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If their job is just to put out the cones and leave the head coach to sort everything out himself, I can do that for half of Carrick's wages.

What's woody's number? No one puts cones out better than me.
Phelan has decades of experience in that regard. He did that for SIR and Rene back in the day.

devilish

I wonder when the next manager comes in (could even be next week if the Pocc stories are true) is told by the club he has to keep the Carrick/McKenna coaches on? I would demand to bring in my own staff and demote them to the kids if that was the case.
If I remember well, McCarricky hasn't signed their contract extensions yet. In my opinion the new manager should keep Mckenna (who is said to be the only coach we've got who knows his stuff and actually bothers doing coaching) and sack the rest. From what I heard Carrick and Ole's mates are clueless while Phelan can't be bothered doing coaching anymore.

The Siege

I think they might stay on for an interim manager, but the proper new manager will surely replace them.

Enough with the United DNA, the inbreeding is killing us.

cyril C

Carrick & McKenna are just about as guilty as Ole. Look at the form of individual players, apart from DDG and CR, who are fit to start for any EPL team? If you look at Arsenal in the following game, yes they lost in big number, but Arsenal played a decent game in 1st half, competitively head to head, almost got away with 2 counter-attacks if not for Fabinho's great defending.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

How Ole is kicked out but those are still around is baffling. On the other hand Ole should have shown some grip getting rid of them as he mentioned they are the ones responsible for most stuff seen on the pitch. Whoever is our next manager should bring his own staff with him.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Was there this outcry about Carrick when he took temporary charge after Jose for a few days??

People seem to think Carrick is new to the job!!

The simple fact is McKenna and Phelan will no doubt be moved on once a new manager is found, Carrick will be kept on.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
How Ole is kicked out but those are still around is baffling. On the other hand Ole should have shown some grip getting rid of them as he mentioned they are the ones responsible for most stuff seen on the pitch. Whoever is our next manager should bring his own staff with him.
And they will bring their own staff!!

What point is there sacking the manager and ALL the coaching staff, leaving no one to take training etc for the next few games??
That'd be counter productive and stupid.

AndyMUFC86

What do you guys think Ole did? If the gameplan came solely from the assistant coaches during training, what was the purpose of having a manager?
They would take the training sessions but the actual gameplan would of course come from the manager.
I totally agree, I’m sure Ole put his ideas across of how he wanted the team to set up and play but it was then the job of the coaching team to implement it.

Personally I’ve lost faith in the coaching team. What’s your opinion on these guys?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I totally agree, I’m sure Ole put his ideas across of how he wanted the team to set up and play but it was then the job of the coaching team to implement it.

Personally I’ve lost faith in the coaching team. What’s your opinion on these guys?
I’m not sure, but I think it was definitely a mistake to have inexperienced coaches alongside an inexperienced manager (at United level). I know Phelan was there too, but I don’t think it was a great mix sadly

tomaldinho1

I wonder when the next manager comes in (could even be next week if the Pocc stories are true) is told by the club he has to keep the Carrick/McKenna coaches on? I would demand to bring in my own staff and demote them to the kids if that was the case.
I don’t think this makes much difference as long as the club isn’t insisting Carrick/McKenna lead training. Let’s say, for example, Poch comes in - he’ll bring his own team and then add Carrick/McKenna as general coaches. They won’t really have much meaningful input outside of implementing Poch’s plan and, let’s be honest, they’ve never worked under a hands on progressive coach, maybe they’d be great with more mentoring and very clear direction.

Xaviboy

Not expecting any improvement with them all involved. Same mentality and ideas as ole. Need clean slate with new coaches.

Need new manager to bring his own team/coaches in with new fresh ideas. Sooner the better we do this.

Expecting bad results while, Carrick, Mckenna and Phelan involved still. Hopefully once game over tomorrow we hear about changes to new managment.

devilish

What do you guys think Ole did? If the gameplan came solely from the assistant coaches during training, what was the purpose of having a manager?
They would take the training sessions but the actual gameplan would of course come from the manager.
There are managers who do not do coaching and involved very little in tactics. One of which is Allegri. He's got Aldo Dolcetti doing tactics for him. SAF himself called himself a tactical dinosaur and started relying on others to do the training for him. In fact his spat with Keane started because he hated Carlos Q's drills whom SAF himself described as effective but a bit repetitive. There are other aspects that managers do that are as important as coaching, one of which is man management. With so many prima donnas all of which protected by super agents its so easy to lose the dressing room. Then there are other aspects of the game like selling his vision to the board, making sure that every component of the team are on the same page (youths, data analysts, scouts, coaches, DOF, fitness coaches, doctors etc) and analyzing the tons upon tons of data each segment provides him. I don't know what's your line of work is but I would have to sweat blood to persuade my boss to go for an investment that would cost millions which is exactly what managers do when asking for this or that new player.

Call me old fashioned but I like the manager to be able to do everything. The reason being that understudies might leave or might get complacent which in turn requires the manager to immediately step in and correct things. He also need to be able to identify if his coaches are doing a good job or not. A manager whose tactically inept or can't run a training session would never be able to do that. I believe that one of Ole's biggest mistakes was that he trusted his coaches blindly. That was clearly evident when he left for a holiday in Norway in the middle of a crisis. Which is hilarious really especially considering that the same coaching staff were around during Mou's final disastrous year.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I wonder when the next manager comes in (could even be next week if the Poch stories are true) is told by the club he has to keep the Carrick/McKenna coaches on? I would demand to bring in my own staff and demote them to the kids if that was the case.
Pochettino won't accept that I would think/hope.
He has a group of trusted coaches that have been with him from Espanyol, to Saints, to Spurs, to PSG...Jesus Perez, Miguel D'Agostino, Toni Jiminez & Sebastiano Pochettino.

Imagine that, a whole collective, of competent, experienced and professional people at United....
Will wonders ever cease?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
There are managers who do not do coaching and involved very little in tactics. One of which is Allegri. He's got Aldo Dolcetti doing tactics for him. SAF himself called himself a tactical dinosaur and started relying on others to do the training for him. In fact his spat with Keane started because he hated Carlos Q's drills whom SAF himself described as effective but a bit repetitive. There are other aspects that managers do that are as important as coaching, one of which is man management. With so many prima donnas all of which protected by super agents its so easy to lose the dressing room. Then there are other aspects of the game like selling his vision to the board, making sure that every component of the team are on the same page (youths, data analysts, scouts, coaches, DOF, fitness coaches, doctors etc) and analyzing the tons upon tons of data each segment provides him. I don't know what's your line of work is but I would have to sweat blood to persuade my boss to go for an investment that would cost millions which is exactly what managers do when asking for this or that new player.

Call me old fashioned but I like the manager to be able to do everything. The reason being that understudies might leave or might get complacent which in turn requires the manager to immediately step in and correct things. He also need to be able to identify if his coaches are doing a good job or not. A manager whose tactically inept or can't run a training session would never be able to do that. I believe that one of Ole's biggest mistakes was that he trusted his coaches blindly. That was clearly evident when he left for a holiday in Norway in the middle of a crisis. Which is hilarious really especially considering that the same coaching staff were around during Mou's final disastrous year.
I'm a football coach

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The only good thing from this is, they're in main spotlight now and absolutely everyone will finally see what value they offer to the club.

Without a strong leader over staff & players this can easily lead to another sacking. Releasing Ole was easy, now comes the worst part.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
So we have heard many reports of how bad McKenna, Carrick and Solskjaer are in training.

We see it every so often that the players feel Mckenna is this or McKenna is that. This has been going on for many years now.

So what the feck is stopping these players from telling him to change things? Why are they doing the same thing every day like robot's instead of asking for change?

What gives?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I mean we have nothing to suggest that they haven’t?