The McCariickenna Conundrum ft Micky Phelans (and all current coach discussions)

Waynne

Rangnick said it best when he pointed out that you can't be a "little bit of this and a little bit of that".

That's essentially what Ole's United were.

A little bit of press. A little bit of high line. Little bit of possession. Little bit of overlapping. A whole lot of confusion.

The manager and coaches need to figure out precisely what they are, that their vision is, and do it 100%.
Yep.

Had another United fan tell me you don't need a style of play to be successful. Couldn't control my laughter.

wolvored

They couldnt get rid of all of them with Ole. Who would have picked the team and coached them, however badly for the following games, Woodward? Fletcher? Saying that Ole was asked if he wanted to bring in better coaches, but he said no the ones he got were WC, fantastic etc. That bullshit and consequence of what happened was all on Ole.
The new permanent manager must insist that they either go, or given lesser roles away from the first team, and bring in his own.
I can see if we go down the interim manager route he will be told he has to keep the coaches there as the board wont sanction an interim to bring in his own staff only to have to get shut in 7 monthe time. The financial aspect would be enormous and would come out the transfer budget probably.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Laurie Whitwell (The Athletic) reported on Talk of the Devils that Rangnick is expected to largely work with the existing coaching staff, maybe bringing one or two people in.

I’m sure it will evolve over the next year with Rangnick and the next manager.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
With Kornetka coming in probably means the end for Phelan?

Xaviboy

Laurie Whitwell (The Athletic) reported on Talk of the Devils that Rangnick is expected to largely work with the existing coaching staff, maybe bringing one or two people in.

Carrick gets kept on he lucky coach. Be his 4th manager he worked under.

I hope the one or 2 Ragnick brings in will have full hands on training sessions. Fresh ideas and new methods in training needed now.

RuudTom83

Like it or not, I don't see the logic in United getting rid of everyone so that Rangnick can bring a full new coaching staff in, only to then have the problem of the new incoming manager wanting his staff as well in 6 months.

He is an interim manager, having him work with Carrick and Fletch could be beneficial for the future as well.

The only employee I'd consider letting go would be Phelan, but letting him stay until the end of the season won't be any harm.

Cloud7

The issue isn’t Carrick and McKenna in isolation. The issue was that Ole the great decided that he was above coaching and left them to do their own thing. That’s the problem. Under a manager who actually coaches it won’t be as problematic, and I do think our next manager will bring in their own coaches as well.

Unlike so many others I have zero issues with that. Coaches take instructions from the manager on how to coach his team and tactics.
Mickey shorts “coached” us to a CL and PL double after all.
Hoping it’s true RR brings his own assistant however.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Unlike so many others I have zero issues with that. Coaches take instructions from the manager on how to coach his team and tactics.
And lets face it Rangnick wouldn't have taken the role if he was totally against working with our current coaches. He's a perfectionist. He's going to be hands on with the coaching and he's probably happy to help develop young coaches such as Carrick and McKenna along the way. Phelan won't be involved in any of the coaching just like how he wasn't under Ole so that probably doesn't make much of a difference.

Abraxas

I think it's brilliant for young coaches like Carrick and McKenna. I think Rangnick should be bringing something completely different that will really help their technical coaching. Whether they get cleared out in the summer or not it's good for them and potentially for us if they have a longer term future here.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I think it's brilliant for young coaches like Carrick and McKenna. I think Rangnick should be bringing something completely different that will really help their technical coaching. Whether they get cleared out in the summer or not it's good for them and potentially for us if they have a longer term future here.
Totally agree. If Ralf is bringing an assistant with him I’d expect Phelan to leave though.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
This is exactly how I feel. They will be working under instruction from RR not doing whatever they pleased on the training field like under Ole.

Pronewbie

Peep
Our homegrown coaches would relish the opportunity of working with Rangnick. We do need some form of continuity and internal progression at the club. As long as it doesn't have an adverse impact on what the new manager wants to achieve, I'm happy to have them stay. That said, we do need to separate the weed from the chaff.

To the fans who want a complete clear-out - imagine your workplace only hiring external hires for managerial and leadership positions and not offering any promotion or learning opportunities. Going as far as to sack most junior staff every few years.

Marcelinho87

Carrick and McKenna would do well to sit back, take notes and learn... Could do them the world of good.

Phelan should be on his way though.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Carrick and McKenna would do well to sit back, take notes and learn... Could do them the world of good.

Phelan should be on his way though.
Yup and if we consider them long term Manchester United assets. Having them learn under Mourinho and now Rangnick will only help their footballing education. I still think going abroad and being the main man is a good career path ala Potter but maybe they're happy being coaches at United long term.

And yes I say long term knowing they've already been here 5 plus years

Dominos

Has anyone seen Phelan? I didn't spot him on the bench today.

Carrick and Mckenna got a mention in Rangnick's first press conference but no mention of Phelan.