The Media Targeting Greenwood

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
So first they create these stories, then if it's not all complete fantasy for money, they walk down to Old Trafford and ask a couple of 'officials' / pitchmen if they hope Greenwood will turn out like Morrison. They obviously answer they do not hope so and voila, clickable income.

romufc

I hope Manutd and Ole are brave enough to start banning these journalists, there is no room for negativity on a 19 year old.

Its a joke, he is 19, make a mistake, now lost a good friend, give the lad a break.

Rolaholic

Glad to see pushback from footballers and ex club legends in support of our lad

Sad that even Ravel himself gets inadvertently dragged into their disgusting targeting campaign

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
It kind of broke my heart to see where Mason is now after his amazing, and record breaking, break through season. Watching the England games, which Greenwood should be a part of, whilst Foden (his partner in 'crime') is strutting his stuff on the international stage and scoring 2 goals. I do hope the club can help him through this difficult time and he can take a leaf out of Rashford's book by treating the press with the contempt they deserve. Obviously, Rashford is 4 years older and has, generally, taken the pressure of playing for United in his stride, which is what makes a truly great United player.

It would be terrible to lose this talent due to his inability to cope with the heavy burden of being a United superstar.

And why haven't the press gone after Foden with the same zeal?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It's just so needless to drag Ravel Morrison's name through the mud for the thousandth time in the same breath as going after Mason Greenwood in an unsubstantiated opinion piece.

You'd think the English press would want its players to do well for the sake of the national team. Creating a whirlwind of baseless gossip around a 19 year old kid isn't going to help anyone other than their clicks and ad revenue. It's grim.

patty123

Simply solution for Mason given he gets no backing from the suits at HQ and their wanker in the waistcoat, next time they and they will come calling, tell them to feck off and dont even answer one question from the hacks, players have power, use the fecking thing.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Bad enough that Greenwood has to deal with it. But equally bad that the media still keep mentioning Ravel and keep reminding everyone that Ravel hasn’t made it at top level. Must be hard for Ravel to read this over and over again.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Simply solution for Mason given he gets no backing from the suits at HQ and their wanker in the waistcoat, next time they and they will come calling, tell them to feck off and dont even answer one question from the hacks, players have power, use the fecking thing.
Bad enough that Greenwood has to deal with it. But equally bad that the media still keep mentioning Ravel and keep reminding everyone that Ravel hasn’t made it at top level. Must be hard for Ravel to read this over and over again.
Agree with both of these. Ravel knows better than anyone what could have been, why they insist on bringing it up every 6 months is beyond me.

Likewise, the lack of support for Greenwood (combined with Foden getting straight back into the squad) says a lot about the English national team. Hope Greenwood bins them off and has a prosperous career with United.

Glad to see pushback from footballers and ex club legends in support of our lad

Sad that even Ravel himself gets inadvertently dragged into their disgusting targeting campaign
im not sure I’ve ever seen pundits who are actively working on the media make comments like this before.

good on them.

wish some of our fans would look at the situation in the same way.

tombombadil

Surely people realise by now. They are being played by these "news" media for clicks. They tell lies and they especially like to lie about Man United because we give the most clicks.

Everyone needs to stop being influenced by these lying scum.

The sad fact is there are many who are fooled by these lying scum. Just look at the forum posts and you'll see many so called fans attacking united players and coaches like they were liverpool supporters.

Last edited:

Cloud7

It only clicked in my mind after it was pointed out on here, but this all started with Foden and Greenwood doing the exact same thing, yet only one of them has remained dropped from the England team, and only one of them has had a media campaign launched against him. They couldn't be more obvious if they spelled it out.

Tarrou

amazing to see all the push-back from fans, pundits and footballers, the tables are starting to turn

TrustInOle

The Mirror getting rinsed :lol: about damn time!

Our media's use of sublimal racism, in this day and age, is truly vile stuff. As others have said, where is Foden's backlash.

redevul5566

Supports
I also support Real Mallorca.
He should play for Jamaica, not England.

Brightonian

Once upon a time, players would have been advised to just not read the back pages and could have got on with their lives oblivious to nonsense like this. What's so insidious about the media today is that it exists in the same place as players' lives: on social media. That's especially true of the younger players, who are the most vulnerable to this kind of toxic bullshit. They can't avoid it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Agree with both of these. Ravel knows better than anyone what could have been, why they insist on bringing it up every 6 months is beyond me.

Likewise, the lack of support for Greenwood (combined with Foden getting straight back into the squad) says a lot about the English national team. Hope Greenwood bins them off and has a prosperous career with United.
It only clicked in my mind after it was pointed out on here, but this all started with Foden and Greenwood doing the exact same thing, yet only one of them has remained dropped from the England team, and only one of them has had a media campaign launched against him. They couldn't be more obvious if they spelled it out.
Foden back in the national team while Greenwood isn't is fine. Foden has played almost all the games for City this season and from what I hear has been playing well. Greenwood's been in and out of our team and has been struggling for form. Even if Southgate was going to choose him I wouldn't be surprised if Ole asked for him not to be included (like he did at the beginning of the season) to try to give him more of a break and hopefully get him settled again.

The media campaign against him is bullshit though and it's obvious there's at least a touch of racism involved (as there was with the recent article on Rashford's properties).

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Foden back in the national team while Greenwood isn't is fine. Foden has played almost all the games for City this season and from what I hear has been playing well. Greenwood's been in and out of our team and has been struggling for form. Even if Southgate was going to choose him I wouldn't be surprised if Ole asked for him not to be included (like he did at the beginning of the season) to try to give him more of a break and hopefully get him settled again.

The media campaign against him is bullshit though and it's obvious there's at least a touch of racism involved (as there was with the recent article on Rashford's properties).
Yeah Ole himself asked for him not to be included in International duty this time. That's why he isnt with the U21's either.

He's obviously had a tough few weeks and I think he's been upset with his friend dying also. Best to keep him at home out of the spotlight for a few weeks.

I have no doubt he'll be playing Saturday and will hopefully get some good press.

VivaRonaldo85

The media witch hunt for Mason vs Foden simply comes with Manchester United being a much greater story for the press and ultimately, they're only interested in views and sales. Very sad but the power of Man Utd hurts us sometimes in cases like this. Let's hope he can play tomorrow and bang in a goal or two and shut them all up.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Once upon a time, players would have been advised to just not read the back pages and could have got on with their lives oblivious to nonsense like this. What's so insidious about the media today is that it exists in the same place as players' lives: on social media. That's especially true of the younger players, who are the most vulnerable to this kind of toxic bullshit. They can't avoid it.
I think they can.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I think they can.
Can they? They have social media, they have WhatsApp groups, they have televisions... Unless they live like hermits it's very difficult!

I don't watch any TV outside of football but still know the gist about the soaps, what's happening with the royals, UK/US politics, entertainment etc all passively.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Can they? They have social media, they have WhatsApp groups, they have televisions... Unless they live like hermits it's very difficult!

I don't watch any TV outside of football but still know the gist about the soaps, what's happening with the royals, UK/US politics, entertainment etc all passively.
I think they can do stuff to be a little less exposed to it but it's indeed tougher the younger you are.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Do tell, because I haven't a clue any more. I used to watch Eastenders all the time, then became increasingly infrequent, but, even so, I could pick up the story of the previous 3 months by watching one episode. Now, if I switch it on, I have absolutely no idea what is going on. I don't watch any other soaps and only know most of them exist because I recognise the name. Hasn't Hollyoaks got a lot of tasty women in it, or something?

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Ole's comments today were encouraging. Clearly the lad has had a very difficult time and needs support. Good to see he is in the right hands.

Nikelesh Reddy

I feel like this needs its own thread. I'd like to implore everyone on this forum to not get drawn into the decided narrative and get behind our player.

He's made mistakes (at 19 who hasn't) and the media have started piling in. This can't be good for his mental health or development at the club. I'm not suggesting he is absolved from any criticism but the media onslaught is way over the top.

Some recent headlines

Mason didn't run onto a Bruno pass in training, there wasn't even a verbal altercation.

Same story about him not running onto a pass but three hours later, this time unashamedly with an added quote/story about Bruno from his old club that makes it look connected.

After the club state that he was ill in training, the media decide Mason is putting in 'lethargic' training sessions.

Apparently we're considering letting one of the hottest prospects in football walk away on a free.

this should be water off a ducks back really...,Don’t think it will affect Mason at all....

Brightonian

I think they can.
Not easily, and far less easily than any generation before them. Their lives are as much on social media as anywhere else. Those same website and apps are full of this kind of sport and entertainment content. The two are totally intertwined. It's toxic.