The men behind Man city: If you thought Qatar was a problem, wait till you get a load of Abu Dhabi

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
The west is not perfect, but if you're denying we're better of human rights wise than the countries mentioned in this article I think the word deluded should be directed to you. Cultural differences aside, sentencing homosexuals and blasphemers to prison and worse is not an acceptable cultural difference, it's actually objectively barbaric.

You mention working for minimum wage here and state that people in Arab countries have good lives. You think there's no poverty there? That these oil billionaires share their wealth with the common people? Really?
Britain was castrating homosexuals less than a lifetime ago. It's ironic people are complaining about corruption in other countries when just the other week it was revealed how taxpayer's money was flooding into the hands of extremists through the lobbying group Adam Smith International. This whole White Man's Burden attitude reeks of unfounded moral grandiosity, poverty of insight, and zero sense of history.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
No, those aren’t citizens. I’m talking about citizens. You’re talking about cheap foreign labourers.
Oh right, my bad, foreign labourers don't need money or human rights, feck em!

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
No, those aren’t citizens. I’m talking about citizens. You’re talking about cheap foreign labourers.
So basically, the Emirates do very well by their people if we exclude the slaves.

Nedved

Wow what bullshit is this? Qatar is ranked number 1 for GDP per capita and I assure you 99.999% of their citizens are incredibly wealthy and do not live in poverty camps ffs, what a load of shit, have you ever visited these countries, because I do regularly and go to the poor and rich areas, and believe me they are MUCH better off than the average citizen here. Majority the citizens of the Arab countries have good lives and they rank all in top 10 for GDPPC.

I'm not saying they are perfect but stop this crazy spreading of misinformation. Funny how everyone thinks they are an expert on Arab countries by reading the media and never actually visiting themselves.

Also in reply to Ducklegs, where do you think all the money from those tax cuts for the increadibly wealthy go to? All those MP expenses etc while cutting benefits to the people who need it the most and letting them starve or freeze.

(Had 1 post left, didn't realise. Have no posts left on limit to reply)
Correction: heterosexual men who aren’t guest workers have a decent life.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
This has been discussed on here in the past. Some of the the things that go on in the UAE are certainly not palatable and certainly can't be defended. At the same time, while using this as a stick to beat City (or more to the point City fans), there's a fair bit of hypocrisy going on here. I mean, how many people on here have holidayed in Dubai? I'm sure there will also be some F1 fans on this forum but I doubt they have an issue with Abu Dhabi being on the Grand Prix roster.

On another note, I find it a bit rich to see Abu Dhabi siding with the likes of Saudi against Qatar, and the UAE bringing in prison sentences of up to 15 years for anyone who dares express sympathy for Qatar online.
I’m not really sure hypocrisy is the right term for it.
I guess in principle, holidaying to Dubai isn’t an endorsement to the human rights atrocities, nor is being a city fan.

But are you proud of how you are financed?
Any success you endure are you happy to celebrate given the underlying acts that help propel it, also the continuing silence of any write up that focuses on the atrocities surely must be cause for concern when speaking on curruption also?

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
This has long been known, City are a tool to create positive news for the regime, to distract from any potential bad news and to serve as an 'in' to further gain political ground in this country. MCFC will find themselves dropped like a stone the minute it goes tits up, which could be anything from the owners finding themselves on the wrong side of a Yacht for too long or the government being annihilated in a war, tons of scenarios. As much as I dislike City, this could happen to any club.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Britain was castrating homosexuals less than a lifetime ago. It's ironic people are complaining about corruption in other countries when just the other week it was revealed how taxpayer's money was flooding into the hands of extremists through the lobbying group Adam Smith International. This whole White Man's Burden attitude reeks of unfounded moral grandiosity, poverty of insight, and zero sense of history.
Contrary to British belief, Britain is not actually the entire west. Also, I'm not saying the west are perfect now or have always been perfect, just that human rights wise standards in western countries are generally higher at the moment. As for White man's burden, I'm not proposing to invade the UAE, I'm not George Bush you know ;)

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
Wow what bullshit is this? Qatar is ranked number 1 for GDP per capita and I assure you 99.999% of their citizens are incredibly wealthy and do not live in poverty camps ffs, what a load of shit, have you ever visited these countries, because I do regularly and go to the poor and rich areas, and believe me they are MUCH better off than the average citizen here. Majority the citizens of the Arab countries have good lives and they rank all in top 10 for GDPPC.

I'm not saying they are perfect but stop this crazy spreading of misinformation. Funny how everyone thinks they are an expert on Arab countries by reading the media and never actually visiting themselves.

Also in reply to Ducklegs, where do you think all the money from those tax cuts for the increadibly wealthy go to? All those MP expenses etc while cutting benefits to the people who need it the most and letting them starve or freeze.

Exactly, Citizens. Of the 2.6 million people living in Qatar, only 300k have the qatari citizenship. I guess most of the (non-western) expats don't live that nice.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Very true, some of the acts committed under British empirical rule, some less than 50/60 years ago are abhorrent and simply cannot be defended at all.

I guess the difference is that the British state isn’t funding any particular individual private sports business.

So yes it’s somewhat hypocritical and ignorant that some seem to be under the impression that this kind of atrocity is limited to the Arab states.
It’s not really that relevant in this discussion is it?

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I guess in principle, holidaying to Dubai isn’t an endorsement to the human rights atrocities, nor is being a city fan.

Any success you endure are you happy to celebrate given the underlying acts that help propel it, also the continuing silence of any write up that focuses on the atrocities surely must be cause for concern when speaking on curruption also?
My point was that many of us are indirectly endorsing what goes on in those countries. Dubai was pretty much built on the back of migrant workers earning a pittance in the process. I've worked in oil and gas for 27 of the last 28 years and some of our customers are based in that part of the world so you could argue I've been endorsing it for far longer than Mansour has owned City. I also support Lancashire County Cricket Club who just happen to be sponsored by Emirates so I'm up to my neck in this endorsing business.

Are you proud that United receives sponsorship money from the national airline of Russia and previously the national airline of Turkey, given that both countries have a human rights record every bit as dubious as Abu Dhabi has?

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Oil exports so foreign consumers indirectly

villain

Hates Beyoncé
My point was that many of us are indirectly endorsing what goes on in those countries. Dubai was pretty much built on the back of migrant workers earning a pittance in the process. I've worked in oil and gas for 27 of the last 28 years and some of our customers are based in that part pf the world so you could argue I've been endorsing it for far longer than Mansour has owned City? I also support Lancashire County Cricket Club who just happen to be sponsored by Emirates so I'm up to my neck in this endorsing business.

Are you proud that United receives sponsorship money from the national airline of Russia and previously the national airline of Turkey, given that both countries have a human rights record every bit as dubious as Abu Dhabi has?
Unless the national airlines of both countries are actively engaged with abusing human rights, with evidence then I don’t see how I could argue against it?
However, sponsorship money and being financed are two different things.
United could drop that particular sponsor and still post the most profits in the world.

Your clubs finances are seeped in this, and once again - is that something you are proud of and will continue to celebrate?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
What is it with the western mentality that "our way is the only right way and every other culture is wrong and barbaric". You guys are seriously deluding yourselves or living in a fantasy world if you think that there isn't massive corruption in the west too and shady deals going on all the time, infact it's a problem wherever money can be found.

People in the U.K are starving, dying because they can't afford heating due to benefits cuts or left to rot on the streets with homelessness, or burning in buildings because of £5000 cladding..and don't even get me started on the USA! The difference is the western countries are more smarter with their oppression and humans rights abuses, because let's be honest, how is someone working 60 hours a week on minimum wage just to feed their family, working EVERY day without ever actually living life not classified as oppression. The citizens of the Arab countries actually have good lives tbh.

Also who do you think makes these shady deals with these shady arabs, western countries ofcourse, so let's not use this holier than thou attitude. I'm not saying I agree at all with the Arabs but I hate how everyone is quick to point fingers here but not in their own pond first. I'm not saying all western countries are like this btw, as the scandinavian countries are great places!

Oppression and humans right abuses come in many forms, the only difference is if you call it "legal" for some reason we don't classify at a human rights abuse.
Congrats on one of the worst post I've read on here.

NYAS

Oh right, my bad, foreign labourers don't need money or human rights, feck em!
Well done, you got called out for being wrong and are now moving the goalposts.

So basically, the Emirates do very well by their people if we exclude the slaves.
The “slaves” aren’t their people though. I’m being pedantic here but it’s like a German citizen living in America. You as a German are not considered America’s “people”, until you at least obtain permanent residency or citizenship.

Now, if you say “The Emirates don’t pay foreign labourers well enough and they have to work in pathetically poor, slave-like conditions”, then you may have a point.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Unless the national airlines of both countries are actively engaged with abusing human rights, with evidence then I don’t see how I could argue against it?
However, sponsorship money and being financed are two different things.
United could drop that particular sponsor and still post the most profits in the world.

Your clubs finances are seeped in this, and once again - is that something you are proud of and will continue to celebrate?
The point is that you take money directly from the ruling bodies of those countries so it's not really any different. Simply saying that United could drop the sponsor is irrelevant because they haven't, and it's clear you don't have an issue with it, yet have an issue with City for some odd reason. And let's not forget about the sweat shop story going back some years with footballs made in India for peanuts finding their way into United's souvenir shop (it's not just United who do that of course, but it's another example of how we're all indirectly complicit in this kind of thing). Funny how you didn't comment on my post about the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - maybe you should find some F1 fans to have a pop at.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Oil is sourced from all over the world, I don’t think there’s a way to find out the origin of any oil you buy is there?
I think there's a way to know the countries who buy UAE's oil or Qatar's gas.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
The point is that you take money directly from the ruling bodies of those countries so it's not really any different. Simply saying that United could drop the sponsor is irrelevant because they haven't, and it's clear you don't have an issue with it, yet have an issue with City for some odd reason. And let's not forget about the sweat shop story going back some years with footballs made in India for peanuts finding their way into United's souvenir shop (it's not just United who do that of course, but it's another example of how we're all indirectly complicit in this kind of thing). Funny how you didn't comment on my post about the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - maybe you should find some F1 fans to have a pop at.
Nobody is having a pop at you

I asked a question which you seemed to turn around and try and ask me as if the two situations are even remotely similar?

I’ll put it to you like this, I wasn’t aware of any human rights atrocities committed by the Russian airline company, show me some and I will admit that it’s wrong and United shouldn’t be sponsored by them.
I’ve never been to, nor show any desire to visit Dubai.
And if I could find a way to find out where the original of my diesel is sourced I would actively not buy from any Arab states or South American states for that matter - however I intend on my next car to be a Tesla and I actively drive approx 3000 miles a year, so I’m hardly contributing to this.
These other issues you’re bringing up are pointless because they are not relevant to this particular discussion, and only serve to change the narrative.

Does that make you feel better?
Are you comfortable to answer my questions now?

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Oil is sourced from all over the world, I don’t think there’s a way to find out the origin of any oil you buy is there?
I think 9% of the world's oil comes from Abu Dhabi so there's a fair chance that plenty of it ends up here. Particularly now that the oil industry is on it's arse in the UK with nearly 70,000 jobs being lost in Aberdeen alone over the past few years as a result of countries in that part of the world churning it out at such a rate - and for a fraction of the cost - that there's now a huge surplus.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
Typical Arabs in power in these countries. Not a single one has anything positive about them, just a bunch of greedy bastards looking to one up their rivals in any way possible, regardless of method and only caring about their own interests.

Funny to see folk arguing against it, claiming indirect involvement and western countries being no better. What's wrong is wrong, think thread has achieved its point.

Last edited:

rampo

I don't know much about the labor camps and other things, but that highlighted thing is absolutely not true

Qatar is 2nd ranked in GDP per capita and 27th ranked when it comes to median GDP per capita, that itself should tell you the huge income inequality. I am assuming you are using 99.999% number for the effect, but even discounting for that, that is no where close to being correct.

P.S: I know people working there and basis their feedback, can safely say, a vast income inequality exists.

P.P.S: I also find West's moral high ground amusing, but using middle east example (or their wealth) to fight that back is not the right thing, in my opinion

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Nobody is having a pop at you

I asked a question which you seemed to turn around and try and ask me as if the two situations are even remotely similar?

I’ll put it to you like this, I wasn’t aware of any human rights atrocities committed by the Russian airline company, show me some and I will admit that it’s wrong and United shouldn’t be sponsored by them.
I’ve never been to, nor show any desire to visit Dubai.
And if I could find a way to find out where the original of my diesel is sourced I would actively not buy from any Arab states or South American states for that matter - however I intend on my next car to be a Tesla and I actively drive approx 3000 miles a year, so I’m hardly contributing to this.
These other issues you’re bringing up are pointless because they are not relevant to this particular discussion, and only serve to change the narrative.

Does that make you feel better?
Are you comfortable to answer my questions now?
I've already answered your questions. I've already stated that some of the stuff that goes on over there isn't palatable but I'm not sure what you personally expect me to do about it. I'm guessing it's such an issue to you that you'll shortly be marching on Manchester Town Hall protesting about Manchester City Council being complicit in all this? The Russian airline company you speak of isn't a private company - it's the national airline of the state of Russia so there's a direct link right there to any human rights issues linked to the Russian government.

Fluctuation0161

Typical Arab countries. Not a single one has anything positive about them, just a bunch of greedy bastards looking to one up their rivals in any way possible, regardless of method and only caring about their own interests.
What a horrible and blinkered generalisation. Completely oblivious to the history, complexity and Western involvement in destabilising the region over many decades.

On the specific article about Citys owners though. It concerns me that they have invested so heavily in PR. It seems to correlate with the overly positive UK media coverage they have been getting with no context (or criticism) being given to the amount of money spent over recent years or its grubby origins.

Last edited:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I've already answered your questions. I've already stated that some of the stuff that goes on over there isn't palatable but I'm not sure what you personally expect me to do about it. I'm guessing it's such an issue to you that you'll shortly be marching on Manchester Town Hall protesting about Manchester City Council being complicit in all this? The Russian airline company you speak of isn't a private company - it's the national airline of the state of Russia so there's a direct link right there to any human rights issues linked to the Russian government.
I’m actively involved in a couple of organisations that raise awareness of human rights atrocities throughout the world, were focused primarily on Africa because that’s where most of us are from - however I wouldn’t be opposed to focusing on the Arab states either.
I don’t really buy the argument that nothing can be done on these issues long term, corruption shouldn’t be tolerated even if you are benefiting from it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Typical Arab countries. Not a single one has anything positive about them, just a bunch of greedy bastards looking to one up their rivals in any way possible, regardless of method and only caring about their own interests.

Funny to see folk arguing against it, claiming indirect involvement and western countries being no better. What's wrong is wrong, think thread has achieved its point.
Extremly simplistic and stupid thing to say. Not every arab country is the same, the people living are very different from the ones who govern them etc etc...

Crimson King

Most of the people in Qatar and the UAE aren't actually citizens, they're very protective of who they give citizenship and a passport too. Pretty much everyone else is considered a migrant worker with very few rights. So yes, the 'citizens' of these countries are incredibly wealthy and live very privileged lives, but there are several underclasses of migrant workers, some of which are treated as relative slaves.

I actually know a bit about this, my girlfriend is an Arab Muslim who lived in Abu Dhabi for about 12 years and spent a lot of time in Dubai as well. Her family still live there, so she goes back from time to time, although as little as she can help it. Admittedly I've never been myself, but I consider her a pretty good source.

She has a lot of great memories; the standard of living was great, the restaurants are world class, Dubai is a beautiful modern city and she made a lot of good friends, not to mention the fact she was incredibly well paid for even the most basic of admin jobs.

However, she has an endless supply of horror stories. There are the obvious ones that we in the West stereotypically relate to Islamic countries; the conservative/religious oppression and sexism towards women. She did suffer under this unfortunately, but the UAE is actually fairly moderate, so as a women she had a fair amount of independence and it rarely affected her day to day life. She could more or less go about her business like she could here, except maybe she had to be a bit more careful about how she behaved in public or who she spoke to.

But it does go deeper than that. UAE citizens have a lot of power, she has friends who were deported because they were in a rush and failed to hold a door open for a UAE woman, or because in a fit of road rage they flipped the finger to a UAE national. Then there were the bosses (typically UAE nationals as they can basically walk into any job they want, and are immune to getting sacked) who sexually harassed her. Of course that's not exclusive to the middle-east at all, but if she'd tried to report it she wouldn't have just lost her job, she would have been kicked out of the country, away from her family and friends, forever. She might even have been arrested for being 'immoral' if the boss decided to take it that far. Then there's all the friends and acquaintances who were the victims of rape and sexual assault, but couldn't even think about reporting it to the police as they'd be arrested as well for having an 'extramarital affair'.

Then there's the hired help, the desperate souls they ship in from Malaysia, India etc. to do their dirty work for them. While most of them are just poorly paid and neglected, she insists there are those who are beaten and tortured by their UAE 'masters'. Apparently many of them go missing and are just never seen again...there was even a local Sheikh who apparently liked to take them out into the desert and drag them about chained to his car until they died. Something i found unbelievable, but she thinks is entirely plausible after living there. This of course never makes it into the media as it's owned and controlled by the ruling elite.

There's more, but I think you get the general idea. She got out of there as soon as she was old enough, although even then she needed her dad's approval to legally leave the country as she is technically his 'property' as an unmarried woman. She's also spent a lot of time in a few other Middle-Eastern countries, namely Saudia Arabia and Jordan, doesn't have anything nice to say about them either.

Don't get me wrong, she hates it here too. She recognises we suffer under a very different kind of oppression, but she feels safe at least, and knows her rights can't be entirely taken away without her at least being able to put up a fight if it came to it. She also lived in the USA till she was 10 and isn't fond of their government and their own brand of hypocrisy, although that might be because her parents are originally from Palestine, Trump's announcement last week didn't go down well in her household.

Basically, if you think the ruler of a country like the UAE should pass any fit and proper person test then you're mad. It doesn't matter who is better, what culture or beliefs are more acceptable, what is fair or unfair. It's still wrong.

But while they keep pumping money into our country, I don't see that changing.

Werder Herzog

I find it more disgusting how Manchester City Council are in bed with these guys. I know due to my line of work as stated in the article that half the building projects going up in Manchester are funded by these guys.

Odd considering this week is the anniversary of when Manchester itself fought to abolish slavery through its own anti slavery movement.

The council is rife though with pro berts so its not a suprise.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I’m actively involved in a couple of organisations that raise awareness of human rights atrocities throughout the world, were focused primarily on Africa because that’s where most of us are from - however I wouldn’t be opposed to focusing on the Arab states either.
I don’t really buy the argument that nothing can be done on these issues long term, corruption shouldn’t be tolerated even if you are benefiting from it.
I'm not sure it's so much as corruption as certain behaviours that many of us find morally wrong. I'm not trying to deflect things here but there's a lot of this shit going on in the world. I'd argue that City's previous owner Thaksin Shinawatra - aka Dr Death - was a more unsavoury owner than the current one but yeah, that doesn't make some of the things going down in Abu Dhabi right. The thing is, with regards to Abu Dhabi (and the rest of the UAE), City is only a very small cog in this supposed PR wheel. Mansour's government has conducted far bigger business deals in the Western world than buying City - for example, you do know that the Abu Dhabi Investment Council owns 90% of the iconic Chrysler building in New York?

Needham

Reading that, it seems Guardiola needs room on his lapel for about another 6,000 justice ribbons.

Needham

I find it more disgusting how Manchester City Council are in bed with these guys. I know due to my line of work as stated in the article that half the building projects going up in Manchester are funded by these guys.

Odd considering this week is the anniversary of when Manchester itself fought to abolish slavery through its own anti slavery movement.

The council is rife though with pro berts so its not a suprise.
Proberts or pro-berts. Kudos Werder, great neologism!

Werder Herzog

Also it kind of proves a long standing point i have made- to become like us they have sold their soul. The amount of City fans i heard bleat on about Utd's money in the past but now the shoe is on the other foot, anything for success though .

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan

Think you are unaware of the exact meaning of citizen here. Its a poor reply.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I'm not sure it's so much as corruption as certain behaviours that many of us find morally wrong. I'm not trying to deflect things here but there's a lot of this shit going on in the world. I'd argue that City's previous owner Thaksin Shinawatra - aka Dr Death - was a more unsavoury owner than the current one but yeah, that doesn't make some of the things going down in Abu Dhabi right. The thing is, with regards to Abu Dhabi (and the rest of the UAE), City is only a very small cog in this supposed PR wheel. Mansour's government has conducted far bigger business deals in the Western world than buying City - for example, you do know that the Abu Dhabi Investment Council owns 90% of the iconic Chrysler building in New York?
I understand that in terms of percentage of ownership, City are a minor form - however the club is the face and is being propped up as such and that can’t be taken away either.

I’m not too knowledgeable of everything that they’re involved in, so I don’t want to come across as ignorant on the topic, but Im interested in educating myself on the topic also which I will.

Like I said, if more people cared about these topics then change would occur.
The default narrative is to insist that nothing can be done or worse still, not to care at all.
I’m personally not inclined that way.

RobinHood

Most of the people in Qatar and the UAE aren't actually citizens, they're very protective of who they give citizenship and a passport too. Pretty much everyone else is considered a migrant worker with very few rights. So yes, the 'citizens' of these countries are incredibly wealthy and live very privileged lives, but there are several underclasses of migrant workers, some of which are treated as relative slaves.

I actually know a bit about this, my girlfriend is an Arab Muslim who lived in Abu Dhabi for about 12 years and spent a lot of time in Dubai as well. Her family still live there, so she goes back from time to time, although as little as she can help it. Admittedly I've never been myself, but I consider her a pretty good source.

She has a lot of great memories; the standard of living was great, the restaurants are world class, Dubai is a beautiful modern city and she made a lot of good friends, not to mention the fact she was incredibly well paid for even the most basic of admin jobs.

However, she has an endless supply of horror stories. There are the obvious ones that we in the West stereotypically relate to Islamic countries; the conservative/religious oppression and sexism towards women. She did suffer under this unfortunately, but the UAE is actually fairly moderate, so as a women she had a fair amount of independence and it rarely affected her day to day life. She could more or less go about her business like she could here, except maybe she had to be a bit more careful about how she behaved in public or who she spoke to.

But it does go deeper than that. UAE citizens have a lot of power, she has friends who were deported because they were in a rush and failed to hold a door open for a UAE woman, or because in a fit of road rage they flipped the finger to a UAE national. Then there were the bosses (typically UAE nationals as they can basically walk into any job they want, and are immune to getting sacked) who sexually harassed her. Of course that's not exclusive to the middle-east at all, but if she'd tried to report it she wouldn't have just lost her job, she would have been kicked out of the country, away from her family and friends, forever. She might even have been arrested for being 'immoral' if the boss decided to take it that far. Then there's all the friends and acquaintances who were the victims of rape and sexual assault, but couldn't even think about reporting it to the police as they'd be arrested as well for having an 'extramarital affair'.

Then there's the hired help, the desperate souls they ship in from Malaysia, India etc. to do their dirty work for them. While most of them are just poorly paid and neglected, she insists there are those who are beaten and tortured by their UAE 'masters'. Apparently many of them go missing and are just never seen again...there was even a local Sheikh who apparently liked to take them out into the desert and drag them about chained to his car until they died. Something i found unbelievable, but she thinks is entirely plausible after living there. This of course never makes it into the media as it's owned and controlled by the ruling elite.

There's more, but I think you get the general idea. She got out of there as soon as she was old enough, although even then she needed her dad's approval to legally leave the country as she is technically his 'property' as an unmarried woman. She's also spent a lot of time in a few other Middle-Eastern countries, namely Saudia Arabia and Jordan, doesn't have anything nice to say about them either.

Don't get me wrong, she hates it here too. She recognises we suffer under a very different kind of oppression, but she feels safe at least, and knows her rights can't be entirely taken away without her at least being able to put up a fight if it came to it. She also lived in the USA till she was 10 and isn't fond of their government and their own brand of hypocrisy, although that might be because her parents are originally from Palestine, Trump's announcement last week didn't go down well in her household.

Basically, if you think the ruler of a country like the UAE should pass any fit and proper person test then you're mad. It doesn't matter who is better, what culture or beliefs are more acceptable, what is fair or unfair. It's still wrong.

But while they keep pumping money into our country, I don't see that changing.
Great post. This exactly. According to Wikipedia, in 2013 the total UAE population was 9.2 million of which only 1.4 million are Emirati citizens. The remaining 7.8 million are expats. These expats are the ones who are (not everyone mind you, but the vast majority) who are treated poorly.

It always makes me chuckle when people bring out GDP per capita (especially in the case of middle eastern oil-rich countries) in their arguments as the vast majority of these calculations only take into account the actual citizens of the country. Not the people on whose backs the infrastructure there was built.

Crashoutcassius

The average Gulf citizen is indeed one of the richest on the planet. If you didn’t already know that then I don’t know what to say.
Presume most of the issues are around the millions of foreign migrant workers that are modern day slaves, rather than 'citizens'