The men behind Man city: If you thought Qatar was a problem, wait till you get a load of Abu Dhabi

RC89

Their economies may differ (gas versus oil/tourism) as well as some of their geopolitical views.

That said, I struggle to find some major differences in terms of political and social order.

Based on what I saw 10 years ago (so the situation changed in the meantime), my understanding is that:

The UAE = Abu Dhabi (Oil) + Dubai (Trade/Tourism) + other very secondary emirates

Also, I'm of those who think so many countries (including Western countries) make their contribution to extremism in a certain sense so I think the issue is more Qatar's position with regard to Iran. Contrary to his neighbours and the land of Uncle Sam, Qatar is less excited by the prospect of a conflict involving Iran and tries to develop business (pipelines).

You're right to suggest 'jealousy' and 'mimetic rivalry' play a role too.

All in all, we are talking about 2 relatively new countries established in the 70s after the UK left the area and whose development and infrastructures are very recent, suffice to look at their way of live before they discover natural resources. Some differences of course but same vision of life and same political order (local population vs expats vs foreign cheap labour) IMO
Apologies. I thought you didn't know the difference between them, literally. As in, weren't even aware they were different countries. Ha.

stevoc

At least when City walk the league this season then the fans start to brag and become smug about it, we all have something we can use against them.

There should be rules in place for who actually owns clubs, especially when they are involved in the kind of stuff their owners are involved in.
There are the premier league has a fit and proper person test to determine if someone can buy a Premier League club.

Unfortunately it's more concerned with money than morals.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
What a horrible and blinkered generalisation. Completely oblivious to the history, complexity and Western involvement in destabilising the region over many decades.

On the specific article about Citys owners though. It concerns me that they have invested so heavily in PR. It seems to correlate with the overly positive UK media coverage they have been getting with no context (or criticism) being given to the amount of money spent over recent years or its grubby origins.
Extremly simplistic and stupid thing to say. Not every arab country is the same, the people living are very different from the ones who govern them etc etc...
That should say those in power in these countries, I've edited the previous post to reflect.

Anyways it's always the same in these countries. Previous western involvement and whatnot should not be used as a reason for them doing all these things.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I understand that in terms of percentage of ownership, City are a minor form - however the club is the face and is being propped up as such and that can’t be taken away either.

I’m not too knowledgeable of everything that they’re involved in, so I don’t want to come across as ignorant on the topic, but Im interested in educating myself on the topic also which I will.

Like I said, if more people cared about these topics then change would occur.
The default narrative is to insist that nothing can be done or worse still, not to care at all.
I’m personally not inclined that way.
I don't disagree - something can always be done and it would be nice when conducting business with these countries that it could be politely pointed out that certain practices are somewhat outdated. I'm not sure how thousands of years of the more draconian aspects of sharia law can be changed overnight though. Another poster did point out that the UAE isn't quite as bad as other states in that area though, although clearly a lot still needs to be done, so maybe slowly they're getting there.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That should say those in power in these countries, I've edited the previous post to reflect.

Anyways it's always the same in these countries. Previous western involvement and whatnot should not be used as a reason for them doing all these things.
Western involvement has played a role, as always, there isn't one and only explanation but it's the accumulation of several things.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
The “slaves” aren’t their people though. I’m being pedantic here but it’s like a German citizen living in America. You as a German are not considered America’s “people”, until you at least obtain permanent residency or citizenship.

Now, if you say “The Emirates don’t pay foreign labourers well enough and they have to work in pathetically poor, slave-like conditions”, then you may have a point.
Sure. Of course, slaves are by definition not citizens, so it's nonsensical to use this differentiation in defense of a society.

Qatar is 2nd ranked in GDP per capita and 27th ranked when it comes to median GDP per capita, that itself should tell you the huge income inequality.
Very important point, though the meaning of this may be lost on people who casually throw around statistics

arthurka

The average Gulf citizen is indeed one of the richest on the planet. If you didn’t already know that then I don’t know what to say.
Wow what bullshit is this? Qatar is ranked number 1 for GDP per capita and I assure you 99.999% of their citizens are incredibly wealthy and do not live in poverty camps ffs, what a load of shit, have you ever visited these countries, because I do regularly and go to the poor and rich areas, and believe me they are MUCH better off than the average citizen here. Majority the citizens of the Arab countries have good lives and they rank all in top 10 for GDPPC.

I'm not saying they are perfect but stop this crazy spreading of misinformation. Funny how everyone thinks they are an expert on Arab countries by reading the media and never actually visiting themselves.

Also in reply to Ducklegs, where do you think all the money from those tax cuts for the increadibly wealthy go to? All those MP expenses etc while cutting benefits to the people who need it the most and letting them starve or freeze.

(Had 1 post left, didn't realise. Have no posts left on limit to reply)
A may 2016 report concluded about 60% of Qatar's citizens lives in poverty in labor camps.

if out of ten people one is a billionaire and the other 9 have 1 dollar to their name, they're still very rich if you take the average. Oil makes you very rich, but what does that have to do with human rights?
Couldn´t agree more.

For all of you who think this is all just media bs well it´s not.. Human rights are brutally broken in these states and the treatment of the workforce is terrible.

anyone interested could read this

https://themuslimvibe.com/muslim-cu...-and-their-treatment-of-asian-migrant-workers

This is modern day slavery.

PS anyone telling me I need to visit or live there, I have both lived and visited. My family lived in the middle east for over ten years.

JASR

Official Redcafe Union Rep for City Posters Rights
Supports
City
As mentioned and discussed by @M18CTID it doesn’t sit easily. And never has since the takeover.

There isn’t an excuse if you really want to pin it down.

Everyone make compromises with their morals and nonperfect behaviour.
At the extreme end of complete morality , if you’re reading this, you’re perpetuating the dicking of the planet.

Oil fuelled (no pun intended) the modern world, and dominated the economies, strategies, invasions, war and wealth of almost everyone since the combustion engine proved to rather efficient.

As alluded to on a previous post the UK controlled the Emirates area till the 70’s, going back to the 2nd world war, the Uk invaded Iran and Iraq (along with Soviet Union) mainly to secure strategic oil supply. America’s policy for the past century has been dominated by oil, with aditional 50 year dose of anti communism. Japan’s plunge into WW2 could be argued about because of the need to secure oil supplies.
And those policies , generally by the US and to a lesser extent UK, propped up countless oppressive regimes to achieve whatever strategic policy was required.

I think to say that it’s all a PR exercise is wrong. I personally don’t have any changed feelings towards Abu Dhabi than i did before the takeover. (In fact I probably have worse, due to Reading more information). But I have a disdain for PR and advertising anyway - so I might be in a minority there.

So, yeah, it doesn’t sit easy being a City fan for the club to be owned as such.

Needham

Britain was castrating homosexuals less than a lifetime ago. It's ironic people are complaining about corruption in other countries when just the other week it was revealed how taxpayer's money was flooding into the hands of extremists through the lobbying group Adam Smith International. This whole White Man's Burden attitude reeks of unfounded moral grandiosity, poverty of insight, and zero sense of history.
How would you feel about North Korea owning a PL club? Would it be all white man's burdeny of me to feel uncomfortable with it?

Needham

Most of the people in Qatar and the UAE aren't actually citizens, they're very protective of who they give citizenship and a passport too. Pretty much everyone else is considered a migrant worker with very few rights. So yes, the 'citizens' of these countries are incredibly wealthy and live very privileged lives, but there are several underclasses of migrant workers, some of which are treated as relative slaves.

I actually know a bit about this, my girlfriend is an Arab Muslim who lived in Abu Dhabi for about 12 years and spent a lot of time in Dubai as well. Her family still live there, so she goes back from time to time, although as little as she can help it. Admittedly I've never been myself, but I consider her a pretty good source.

She has a lot of great memories; the standard of living was great, the restaurants are world class, Dubai is a beautiful modern city and she made a lot of good friends, not to mention the fact she was incredibly well paid for even the most basic of admin jobs.

However, she has an endless supply of horror stories. There are the obvious ones that we in the West stereotypically relate to Islamic countries; the conservative/religious oppression and sexism towards women. She did suffer under this unfortunately, but the UAE is actually fairly moderate, so as a women she had a fair amount of independence and it rarely affected her day to day life. She could more or less go about her business like she could here, except maybe she had to be a bit more careful about how she behaved in public or who she spoke to.

But it does go deeper than that. UAE citizens have a lot of power, she has friends who were deported because they were in a rush and failed to hold a door open for a UAE woman, or because in a fit of road rage they flipped the finger to a UAE national. Then there were the bosses (typically UAE nationals as they can basically walk into any job they want, and are immune to getting sacked) who sexually harassed her. Of course that's not exclusive to the middle-east at all, but if she'd tried to report it she wouldn't have just lost her job, she would have been kicked out of the country, away from her family and friends, forever. She might even have been arrested for being 'immoral' if the boss decided to take it that far. Then there's all the friends and acquaintances who were the victims of rape and sexual assault, but couldn't even think about reporting it to the police as they'd be arrested as well for having an 'extramarital affair'.

Then there's the hired help, the desperate souls they ship in from Malaysia, India etc. to do their dirty work for them. While most of them are just poorly paid and neglected, she insists there are those who are beaten and tortured by their UAE 'masters'. Apparently many of them go missing and are just never seen again...there was even a local Sheikh who apparently liked to take them out into the desert and drag them about chained to his car until they died. Something i found unbelievable, but she thinks is entirely plausible after living there. This of course never makes it into the media as it's owned and controlled by the ruling elite.

There's more, but I think you get the general idea. She got out of there as soon as she was old enough, although even then she needed her dad's approval to legally leave the country as she is technically his 'property' as an unmarried woman. She's also spent a lot of time in a few other Middle-Eastern countries, namely Saudia Arabia and Jordan, doesn't have anything nice to say about them either.

Don't get me wrong, she hates it here too. She recognises we suffer under a very different kind of oppression, but she feels safe at least, and knows her rights can't be entirely taken away without her at least being able to put up a fight if it came to it. She also lived in the USA till she was 10 and isn't fond of their government and their own brand of hypocrisy, although that might be because her parents are originally from Palestine, Trump's announcement last week didn't go down well in her household.

Basically, if you think the ruler of a country like the UAE should pass any fit and proper person test then you're mad. It doesn't matter who is better, what culture or beliefs are more acceptable, what is fair or unfair. It's still wrong.

But while they keep pumping money into our country, I don't see that changing.
Great post nearly destroyed by that paragraph. "Don't get me wrong, she hates it here too". Hates what, the local higher ups in the masons chaining foreign indentured slaves to their cars and dragging them to their deaths in the New Forest?

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wow what bullshit is this? Qatar is ranked number 1 for GDP per capita and I assure you 99.999% of their citizens are incredibly wealthy and do not live in poverty camps ffs, what a load of shit, have you ever visited these countries, because I do regularly and go to the poor and rich areas, and believe me they are MUCH better off than the average citizen here. Majority the citizens of the Arab countries have good lives and they rank all in top 10 for GDPPC.

I'm not saying they are perfect but stop this crazy spreading of misinformation. Funny how everyone thinks they are an expert on Arab countries by reading the media and never actually visiting themselves.

Also in reply to Ducklegs, where do you think all the money from those tax cuts for the increadibly wealthy go to? All those MP expenses etc while cutting benefits to the people who need it the most and letting them starve or freeze.

(Had 1 post left, didn't realise. Have no posts left on limit to reply)
If “tax cuts for the rich” (when the rich already stump up a vastly disproportionate amount of their wealth to the tax man than your average joe or “poor person” and are suffering a higher tax burden in the UK than ever before) is all youve got to support that nonsense, then this conversation is over, because you have not got a clue what you are talking about so its just going to waste everyones time.

Heres some reading for you, so you dont feel tempted to talk a load of bollocks again:

https://www.ft.com/content/afd88af6-3645-11e7-99bd-13beb0903fa3

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Noone will focus on any of this sadly. It's not in the PL's interest to focus any attention that they could spend on glorifying City (or any other team in their position) on issues involving morals.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Couldn´t agree more.

For all of you who think this is all just media bs well it´s not.. Human rights are brutally broken in these states and the treatment of the workforce is terrible.

anyone interested could read this

https://themuslimvibe.com/muslim-cu...-and-their-treatment-of-asian-migrant-workers

This is modern day slavery.

PS anyone telling me I need to visit or live there, I have both lived and visited. My family lived in the middle east for over ten years.
Looks like Mr NotBrendanRodgers has a lot of reading to do, ive given him some as well, hopefully he takes it all in and can come back debating from an informed position rather than where he is now.

Darkpulse

Don't get me wrong, the state of human rights in Abu Dhabi is pathetic, and the income inequality is a pisstake.

However, many City fans, especially non glory-hunters, must be in a difficult position. Just as it is not easy to stop supporting a club after X number of years, it must also suck to know for sure that the owners are probably involved in such exploitation. While we have every right to criticize, and maybe even engage in some banter with the City fans, I do feel that seriously trying to achieve some kind of moral high ground over them (plastic fans, etc etc) is inappropriate.

Not that I would appreciate United trouncing City 6-0 anyday, but this is a whole different matter I feel.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I couldn't support United if we were bank-rolled by this.

I'd follow footy in general until they'd sold to a buyer who wasn't what I consider actually evil. Maybe I'd pick a 2nd team, I dunno.

But I couldn't support that. It'd be interesting to see if ANY citeh fans have anything to say on it other than just sweeping it away.

Water Melon

Why would I care about what City owners do? It is none of my fecking business. I want to see United beating the noisy neighbours on football pitches. Other than that, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Russia, America, it is owners money and they invest it wherever they want. The whole planet has gone crazy not just some of Middle East sheikhs.

Rhyme Animal

Why would I care about what City owners do? It is none of my fecking business. I want to see United beating the noisy neighbours on football pitches. Other than that, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Russia, America, it is owners money and they invest it wherever they want. The whole planet has gone crazy not just some of Middle East sheikhs.
Odd stance to have as a United fan.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Spot on, especially the last bit. I feel that's the bit most posters here are turning a blind eye to.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City

I'd follow footy in general until they'd sold to a buyer who wasn't what I consider actually evil. Maybe I'd pick a 2nd team, I dunno.

But I couldn't support that. It'd be interesting to see if ANY citeh fans have anything to say on it other than just sweeping it away.
No, of course you wouldn't mate. It always makes me laugh when I see comments like this that you know in all probability are not true. Especially when your club receives sponsorship money from Russia (and previously from Turkey) - funny how your moral compass has gone missing regarding that.

And for your information, 2 of us have already commented on this thread

Rhyme Animal

Reading that, it seems Guardiola needs room on his lapel for about another 6,000 justice ribbons.
Bam. A short post, but a great one.

Someone needs to raise this with him - shame the U.K media are too busy fawning over their new figure of worship to do so.

And p.s the guys name is an anagram of A Oil Guard...

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
No, it's true. I despise regimes like the one that has taken control of what was Man City.

I know you're a combative poster, and many on here don't like you, but on this I assure you that I'm talking on the level and not trash talking you -

If United was bought, and owned, and bank rolled by that regime, I wouldn't support them until the club was sold again. I genuinely mean that.

I wouldn't view it as Man United, in fact.
But you don't mind the regimes in charge of Russia and Turkey. Hmmmmmm..........

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I’ll be honest - I don’t think it’s a great article.

Not to say that it isn’t true - absolutely the opposite. It’s very speculative when it doesn’t need to be as it’s too focussed on linking to their football interests.

Look outside of football. The evidence of mistreatment of immigrants is rife. Immoral practices by law enforcement is rife. Racism is rife. MisTreatment of foreign businesses in the UAE. All of which is based in fact and frankly an article on those facts would go much further than just talking about footballing interests.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Typical western fear mongering article. Having lived on both sides I've seen the other perspective as well: "britians criminal politician" articles that make it seem like there's so tyrant fecking over the locals.

"Evil middle east" just sells better and it's easy to accuse these guys without any proof because since they aren't fully democratic they must be bad. Most locals of UAE are quite supportive of their government.

That said tho, feck saudi. Those rulers deserve some serious punishments.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
My club isn't owned by them as countries. It's in a deal with their airlines.

My club generates it's own wealth. Cheers.
Yep, their national airlines which in turn are directly linked to the governments of those countries.

Cheers.

Oh, and since when was it "your" club? I must've missed the bit about the Glazers selling up

Crimson King

Great post nearly destroyed by that paragraph. "Don't get me wrong, she hates it here too". Hates what, the local higher ups in the masons chaining foreign indentured slaves to their cars and dragging them to their deaths in the New Forest?
Nah, I think just the general apathy we all feel somewhat from working hard for low pay, taxed to death on everything, extortionate rent and greedy landlords, a government more concerned with Brexit than helping the homelessness and fixing the faltering NHS.

I get your point though, we have it much, much, much better off than those poor sods. I count my lucky stars every day. I think I was just trying to make the point that I wasn't writing the post from atop a high horse, which seemed to be what the poster I replied too was insinuating about some of the other comments.

Believe it or not I pulled a lot of punches with the post, my girlfriend has been through a lot in her relatively short life, most of it in the UAE and unable to get the help she needed because of the way that society is shaped. It's left her incredibly jaded and cynical about everywhere in the world and the people in it, and it spreads to me sometimes.

red_devil83

Well we all knew it was dodgy as feck and anyone who couldn't see that from Day 0 is blind. The fact our media aren't poring all over it tells us that they're either in on it in some fashion or just as fecking dodgy.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

You wouldn't support them why and you'd support the glazers why..

Dr. StrangeHate

Ive read similar before and seen a little bit of it first hand, theyre all as bad as each other in the Gulf. The world will be a much better place when the oil dries up.

Of course it's not just them at the PR exercises, Abramovich didn't buy Chelsea because he really liked football.
Abramovich is at almost every home game. How much more football can he like?

SuperiorXI

The “slaves” aren’t their people though. I’m being pedantic here but it’s like a German citizen living in America. You as a German are not considered America’s “people”, until you at least obtain permanent residency or citizenship.

Now, if you say “The Emirates don’t pay foreign labourers well enough and they have to work in pathetically poor, slave-like conditions”, then you may have a point.
Oh it's alright then, close thread.

Needham

Nah, I think just the general apathy we all feel somewhat from working hard for low pay, taxed to death on everything, extortionate rent and greedy landlords, a government more concerned with Brexit than helping the homelessness and fixing the faltering NHS.

I get your point though, we have it much, much, much better off than those poor sods. I count my lucky stars every day. I think I was just trying to make the point that I wasn't writing the post from atop a high horse, which seemed to be what the poster I replied too was insinuating about some of the other comments.

Believe it or not I pulled a lot of punches with the post, my girlfriend has been through a lot in her relatively short life, most of it in the UAE and unable to get the help she needed because of the way that society is shaped. It's left her incredibly jaded and cynical about everywhere in the world and the people in it, and it spreads to me sometimes.
Sure, understood. It's the relativism that does my head in. Griezmann's inconsequential daft costume choice has already generated 18 pages of militant outrage, meanwhile wonder how many pages we'll get about a regime and society neck deep in the worst kind of real world racism.

JohnnyKills

I've lived in the UAE and the disparity in wealth is ridiculous. Labour rights don't exist, as evidenced by the number of worker fatalities. The whole culture reeks of hypocrisy.

This is a great read but I doubt people will care. Had United been bought out by Emirati/Qatar owners there'd have been a public outcry, but City don't receive the same media attention and, besides, most people seem to have bought into the Pep love-in.

Trizy

Their sense of achievement must feel so hollow, knowing that everything is artificial. Nothing has been earned, it's all off the back of some random guy's wallet. There is no prestige, history or tradition to that club. It says everything about it that the only representative they could find for the derby wasn't even football related - Noel fecking Gallagher :lol:

I can never bring myself to respect that club or anything they've achieved. A plastic vessel of a club. Feck City.
To be honest I doubt they give a shit. Just like we wouldn't.

It's sickening for rival clubs but what can you do. Just like their owner could be committing mass murders and they wouldn't care.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Sure, understood. It's the relativism that does my head in. Griezmann's inconsequential daft costume choice has already generated 18 pages of militant outrage, meanwhile wonder how many pages we'll get about a regime and society neck deep in the worst kind of real world racism.
There’s two differences here
1 - the Griezmann thread is filled with people who are defending it, and that debate is what has filled up most of the pages.
2 - there’s no defending the actions of the city owners here either by us or the city fans, so of course it won’t have the same effect.

Either way, I’m not sure what kind of comparison you’re trying to draw.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I've lived in the UAE and the disparity in wealth is ridiculous. Labour rights don't exist, as evidenced by the number of worker fatalities. The whole culture reeks of hypocrisy.

This is a great read but I doubt people will care. Had United been bought out by Emirati/Qatar owners there'd have been a public outcry, but City don't receive the same media attention and, besides, most people seem to have bought into the Pep love-in.
I honestly don't think there would mate. There would be the odd article about it just as there is with City, but if you remember the rumours about a Qatari takeover of United a few years back with the Class of '92 fronting it, there wasn't anything of note in the way of negative reporting. A far more concrete rumour was the Dubai-backed takeover of Liverpool back in around 2008 when those 2 clowns Hicks and Gillett were making a hash of things over there. Again, there was little negativity and if anything it was openly positive with the DIC SOS banners getting a lot of coverage.

Needham

There’s two differences here
1 - the Griezmann thread is filled with people who are defending it, and that debate is what has filled up most of the pages.
2 - there’s no defending the actions of the city owners here either by us or the city fans, so of course it won’t have the same effect.
Either way, I’m not sure what kind of comparison you’re trying to draw.
People get their moralistic knickers in a twist about stuff that barely matters/harms no one, but for true big issues of justice they bury their heads in the sand. For all sorts of reasons.
To be honest I doubt they give a shit. Just like we wouldn't.
It's sickening for rival clubs but what can you do. Just like their owner could be committing mass murders and they wouldn't care.
I wonder. I'm going to stick my neck out and say Liverpool fans would not be comfortable with these people as owners. And we -for a while- had a decent and voluble protest going about debt restructuring, sure people would have an opinion if they ran Utd. It would be a major shame.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I have foreign relatives who have gone to the UAE to work, one of them went for a few months and one came back quickly as he couldn't handle the working conditions, which his dad wasn't too happy about as he spent a lot of money getting him there. Others are still there and some have moved up to more comfortable jobs (driving etc) making a decent wage. The problem here is despite the terrible working conditions they still make a lot more money than they would in their home countries and unfortunately that's the way the money driven world works. Until resources are shared more equally around the world exploitation will continue.

And no matter how much we sit on our high horses most of the countries we live in were built off slavery or wealth taken from other countries during colonisation, so you can see why an Arab wouldn't take such criticism seriously from a westerner. But would make clear, it doesn't make the working conditions acceptable.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
No, of course you wouldn't mate. It always makes me laugh when I see comments like this that you know in all probability are not true. Especially when your club receives sponsorship money from Russia (and previously from Turkey) - funny how your moral compass has gone missing regarding that.

And for your information, 2 of us have already commented on this thread
But you don't mind the regimes in charge of Russia and Turkey. Hmmmmmm..........
I think most posters have accepted that you're never going to get a perfect scenario, and - by it's nature - power and big business is always going to have questionable ties. There is a significant difference, however, in garnering the support of companies based in countries with questionable political environments in contrast to effectively being bank rolled by a state that has direct correlation with some of the acts mentioned in the initial article.

I understand that, from a fan's perspective, this might seem like a footballing issue but the reality of the matter with the likes of PSG and City is that it goes way beyond this. What is being achieved by the owners of these clubs has little to do with football, but much more with asserting themselves into an international sphere of influence whilst attempting to legitimise their global position. They have virtually no chance doing this off the back of their political credentials; despite having ratified aspects of the Geneva Convention, Qatar, for instance, is still to meet international requirements for migrant workers and refugees, though new laws for regarding working hours for migrants were passed in October. This is coupled with the covering up of information required by the international community, the entire Gulf area scores very poorly in the Freedom House's Map of Press Freedom. Football has become one of the international arenas they have been able to exploit in order to further their own international stance. We have a world cup in Qatar to come, alongside investment in practically every major European football club. I'd like to outline, as well, that I have zero issue with money from this part of the world coming into football - or the world cup going to Qatar - other than their breeching of international human rights. This is not me holding any prejudice to this part of the world, as it can - and does - happen globally.

I honestly don't care about the clubs these owners have invested their billions - in much the same fashion I don't think it particularly matters to them. What I do care about is this information coming to light, though we most probably won't see it covered by any of the major press outlets.