Television The Mentalist

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
Anybody watch this? Quite good me thinks.

Brophs

The One and Only
So is this good then?

I've been seeing a lot of ads for it, and I reckon it looks a lot like House, which is a great show...

Should I watch it or not, bum-stuffers?

Leg-End

I watch it, its great. The first episode isn't that strong but it gets better and there is a decent sub plot throughout the series too.

uae

Yes, watch it.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
It's alright this, but it falls a bit short in the face of other programs. The problem with me is that, after having watched Dexter, nothing else seems to come remotely close. Time to bump that thread, actually.

Cornell

The Mentalist has a decent concept and an interesting storyline which is unfortunately only pulled from under the rug five times a season. Other than that it's quite a dull procedural drama with the twist being the protagonist is ultra-observant.

It's got nothing on Dexter (which the reference to in this thread disappeared?), but that's prime-time on CBS. They've gotta stretch it to a 24 episode season. Unfortunately the writers can't keep Red John interesting for that amount of time.

Biscuit1871

No, it's better than that.

Tell me then, Biscuit, what do you like? I bet you enjoyed Lost and 24.
Nope. Watched one episode of 24 and thought it was shit and watched the first season and a half of Lost and realised it was going no where. I like Dexter, Breaking Bad, Prison Break (S01-02) Californication. I've seen every episode of The Mentalist, but I just find it a bit cheesy.

Brophs

The One and Only
Anyone catch the season 3 finale the other night? Huge spoiler coming up...

So it seems that Jane has killed Red John. I'd be amazed if there isn't somehow a gotcha in all of this, with Jane having killed someone other than the real Red John. The show's whole premise is on Jane's obsession with Red Joh so there must be something else following all of this. Plus it leaves too much unexplained this way - who was he, why did he do what he did, how did he persuade the people to follow him as they did etc., so there must be a sting in the tail. While there might be an interesting arc if Jane believes he has killed the wrong man it doesn't really allow for the show to go anywhere.

More likely it will be that Jane thinks he has killed the right man until Red John strikes again. In fact, he probably did kill the man who killed his family, whether or not he really is 'Red John'. There are a couple of characters who clearly have some other part to play but haven't yet - the forensic investigator who hates Jane (Brett Partridge apparently) and Christina, the fake psychic. I'd guess there are several Red Johns, or that another one will pop up to replace him.

There were a few weird things I didn't really get. Why did 'Red John' put on a high voice when answering the phone? How did he know they were going to be in the shopping centre? Why did O'Loughlin rip the necklace from fit redhead's neck?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Stopped watching after Series 1 and bits of 2, format of each episode was too repetitive but that spoiler seems interesting.

wr8_utd

:'(
It's very very good. Missed the last few episodes so catching up on that now. Got 2 episodes to go :D

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I prefered Lie to Me. Thats cancelled now. Shame, Cal Lightman was a great character in another crime of the week U.S. drama.

wr8_utd

The problem with Lie to Me was that they didn't have a central story or theme running through a season. Individual cases get boring after a while.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I watched the first couple of episodes and wasn't impressed, is it worth watching on?

wr8_utd

Anyone catch the season 3 finale the other night? Huge spoiler coming up...

So it seems that Jane has killed Red John. I'd be amazed if there isn't somehow a gotcha in all of this, with Jane having killed someone other than the real Red John. The show's whole premise is on Jane's obsession with Red Joh so there must be something else following all of this. Plus it leaves too much unexplained this way - who was he, why did he do what he did, how did he persuade the people to follow him as they did etc., so there must be a sting in the tail. While there might be an interesting arc if Jane believes he has killed the wrong man it doesn't really allow for the show to go anywhere.

More likely it will be that Jane thinks he has killed the right man until Red John strikes again. In fact, he probably did kill the man who killed his family, whether or not he really is 'Red John'. There are a couple of characters who clearly have some other part to play but haven't yet - the forensic investigator who hates Jane (Brett Partridge apparently) and Christina, the fake psychic. I'd guess there are several Red Johns, or that another one will pop up to replace him.

There were a few weird things I didn't really get. Why did 'Red John' put on a high voice when answering the phone? How did he know they were going to be in the shopping centre? Why did O'Loughlin rip the necklace from fit redhead's neck?

I don't think it's Red John either. The whole show is based on Jane getting revenge and I don't think they can kill off Red John so easily.

And RJ would have surely known that Jane has a gun? Why would he then go meet Jane knowing he's going to probably die?

I think it was someone sent by RJ and not really him. I'd love to know how he can manipulate his way around the way he does and how he managed to get someone like Kreig (not surprised he was the mole!) to turn and be the bad guy.

And I reckon Jane will get away with the murder. He can always say RJ had the gun with him and he was threatened.

But yes I doubt it was the real RJ.

What a stunning finale though. Absolutely loved it! :drool:

Brophs

The One and Only
A mate of mine has watched all of these in the last month or so and came up with something which I've watched the last minutes of the finale again for, though I think I might be reading too much into some parts as I've been reading a bit online about it:

The first is when we first see Bradley Whitford. He is reading a paper and behind the paper is a man wearing a red sweatshirt. Then to the point where Lisbon calls 'Red John' and the shot has Whitford in the background with the guy in the red shirt in the foreground, with a cup of tea and a saucer in front of him. When Lisbon tells 'Red John that O'Loughlin's dead 'Red John' says 'that's too bad' and the guy in the red shirt tilts his head as if he's listening to the conversation.

Jane then realises that 'Red John' is sitting at the table across from him and moves across towards him. As he does red shirt stands up and leaves. Jane gives him a slight look as he does. Then later as they're talking about vengeance you see the red shirt guy walking around the food court over 'Red John's right shoulder.

Then as Jane asks him how he knows he really is Red John, Red John pauses for a while, almost as if someone is listening in and feeding him information.

Then finally as Red John's body is lying dead you will see a tiling pattern that looks like a bullseye. Outside it is Red John's body. Inside the 'bullseye' is the table the red shirt guy had been sitting at, along with the cup of tea and the saucer.

Having looked online it seems that this guy fits the description that the blind woman gave of the man she had the relationship with that was believed to be Red John. It also apparently matches the person who put the poison on Rebecca in the halls of the police station in season 1.

Also the tiling pattern is apparently very similar to the symbol of the Visualize group that has featured heavily in the series.

Anyone have any thoughts?

uae

I'll have to watch it again first, but sounds intriguing.

Brophs

The One and Only
Anyone watch the season 4 premiere?

As I thought they would the rowed back from having Jane kill Red John. The guy he killed was possibly deserved it but he wasn't Red John, or at least not solely. The odd thing about the episode was that it means Jane is now quite similar to Red John, in that he's gotten lots of people to help him get away with murder.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I've decided I'm going to walk around constantly in a 3 piece suit until everyone just accepts that that's my look.

Brophs

The One and Only
Actually that sounded gay. Your look also includes trousers.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That was my 09/10 look. People like me need constant re-invention in order to stay on the cusp of coolness Broe-phs.

Brophs

The One and Only
I've been wearing a lot of mixed attire of late. Things like a tracksuit bottom with a tux jacket or bermuda shorts with an army jacket. People notice me.

wr8_utd

Anyone watch the season 4 premiere?

As I thought they would the rowed back from having Jane kill Red John. The guy he killed was possibly deserved it but he wasn't Red John, or at least not solely. The odd thing about the episode was that it means Jane is now quite similar to Red John, in that he's gotten lots of people to help him get away with murder.
It was never really going to be RJ so early into the season.

Anyway I hope this leads to a more Red John centric season now instead of too many other cases.

uae

A mate of mine has watched all of these in the last month or so and came up with something which I've watched the last minutes of the finale again for, though I think I might be reading too much into some parts as I've been reading a bit online about it:

The first is when we first see Bradley Whitford. He is reading a paper and behind the paper is a man wearing a red sweatshirt. Then to the point where Lisbon calls 'Red John' and the shot has Whitford in the background with the guy in the red shirt in the foreground, with a cup of tea and a saucer in front of him. When Lisbon tells 'Red John that O'Loughlin's dead 'Red John' says 'that's too bad' and the guy in the red shirt tilts his head as if he's listening to the conversation.

Jane then realises that 'Red John' is sitting at the table across from him and moves across towards him. As he does red shirt stands up and leaves. Jane gives him a slight look as he does. Then later as they're talking about vengeance you see the red shirt guy walking around the food court over 'Red John's right shoulder.

Then as Jane asks him how he knows he really is Red John, Red John pauses for a while, almost as if someone is listening in and feeding him information.

Then finally as Red John's body is lying dead you will see a tiling pattern that looks like a bullseye. Outside it is Red John's body. Inside the 'bullseye' is the table the red shirt guy had been sitting at, along with the cup of tea and the saucer.

Having looked online it seems that this guy fits the description that the blind woman gave of the man she had the relationship with that was believed to be Red John. It also apparently matches the person who put the poison on Rebecca in the halls of the police station in season 1.

Also the tiling pattern is apparently very similar to the symbol of the Visualize group that has featured heavily in the series.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Completely forgot to recheck for this

wr8_utd

Did anyone catch the episode last night? Easily the best episode of the season and one of the best of the entire series for me. :drool:

wr8_utd

Brilliant episode this week. Anyone catch it? Might finally have a clue about who Red John is..

Brophs

The One and Only
Brilliant episode this week. Anyone catch it? Might finally have a clue about who Red John is..
It's been a bit patchy this season but this episode was decent. I can't help thinking these will all be misdirects anyway. Did you see the video someone made this week of the handshakes? Pretty much every character that has been suggested as being RJ was included as having shaken hands with him on-screen. This had some people saying that it'll be one of the main characters that he hasn't shaken hands with on-screen that will end up being RJ.

Also quite a bit of speculation that Van Pelt is involved with RJ. I'm not sure about that but there's certainly something going to come out about her.

wr8_utd

Van Pelt with RJ? Where's that coming from? It's the first I'm hearing of that theory! Oh and I have a feeling RJ will be Stiles.

The shaking hands thing does narrow the field a bit but there are still far too many people. Where's this video?