Television The Mighty Ducks - Game Changers

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
New series on Disney+

follows on 25 years after the third.

the ducks have become a high performance junior team. Lead character (which is a straight regen of Charlie) gets booted from the team.

In essence, the ducks have become the Iceland team from D2.

estevezs reprises his role as Bombay although he seems to have gone down the Charlie Sheen route rather than where he last left in D3 and is now an alcoholic rink owner fending off foreclosure.

a lot of the main cast from the movies are expected to make appearances throughout the series.

what does annoy me is that Bombay has gone from somebody who had his life absolute together, who was full of wisdom to being a bit of a joke. Perhaps this is the new arc where his life falls apart again, but it doesn’t really follow the original story

Last edited:

Ekeke

One of my favourite movie series as a kid. Watched the first episode... I'll watch the 2nd episode but not too convinced yet

Sylar

One of my favourite movie series as a kid. Watched the first episode... I'll watch the 2nd episode but not too convinced yet
Same loved the trilogy and was very feel good
I'll check out the series maybe when it's done as a binge

Heardy

Started watching this too but don’t think it will have the same nostalgic char that cobra Kai did for example.

I really don’t think this is aimed at guys that grew up with the movies, it’s aimed more at kids of today.

They really should have named the “Don’t Bothers” the “Hawks” instead and set up that historic rivalry in reverse.

SparkedIntoLife

I think I want to like this more than I actually do. The characters aren't really connecting yet, the humour is very childlike (which is fine... but it's not really going to hit home with the 30s+ who loved the originals) and while there's some nice moments, the story feels a bit weak and one dimensional somehow.

I agree with you, @mariachi-19 that Bombay as the alcoholic waster feels off. I think it's because he'd gone through that character arc and been 'redeemed' in the original films so it feels strange he's gone backwards. They need to give more hints as to how he ended up that way.

I may be judging it too early as it's only 2 episodes in but I'm not really feeling it yet. I'm sure I'll carry on though. The heartfelt, fun nostalgia of Cobra Kai (with a modern twist) will take a lot of beating though. I'm waiting for a Back to the Future TV show ;)

Acole9

Outstanding
I loved the films when I was a kid. I'm running out of stuff to watch so I reckon I'll give this a look.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Think it’s a decent watch, not as good or as nostalgic as Cobra Kai, but an easy enough watch. The main kid’s a little annoying.

sidsutton

I've started watching this with my kids who have started playing hockey. They love it and it's good enough that I can sit and watch with them too.