Donald Trump The First - Indicted The Fourth

sport2793

The enormous number of judges appointed under Trump was Mitch’s agenda and he was extremely successful.
The whole point of appointing those judges is to merely maintain the status quo. There is no proactive action when you do this. The one proactive action McConnell tried to take, ending the ACA, spectacularly backfired. The reality is it is hard to do anything proactively in this form of government.

sport2793

If you thing Dems give a feck about this either you just wait till Schumer gavels them all into a nice comfy week long vacation when this is over.
He has no choice, the GOP needs to be present for a quorum to be established and they will prevent any attempts to stop the vacation from happening.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
It would hurt millions of Americans waiting for COVID relief, this isn't just some entertainment for everyone to enjoy. Republicans don't care about hurting people, do you really want to follow that example?
The commentators on CNN said it was possible to stop this trial for a couple of weeks while the managers and the defense organised the witnesses and the procedure. They can take care of the relief bill in the meantime, as well as cabinet nominations.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
He has no choice, the GOP needs to be present for a quorum to be established and they will prevent any attempts to stop the vacation from happening.
He needs 1 Republican Senator to show up. If Schumer comes out and says he had all 50 dems on board and he asked all 50 R's and every one of them said no then I will let him off the hook.

sport2793

The commentators on CNN said it was possible to stop this trial for a couple of weeks while the managers and the defense organised the witnesses and the procedure. They can take care of the relief bill in the meantime, as well as cabinet nominations.
There have been numerous times that the CNN commentators claim something is possible and then have to come back and reverse their claim later. The reality is that the Senate rules are a black hole that no one understands and that most things take 60 votes to change, which means you need 10 GOP votes to do many basic things, like changing a schedule. I do think that ending the filibuster is inevitable as a result (maybe the Dems will be too scared but the GOP eventually will).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That was probably never going to work given that Senators are needed to run the government.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He was impeached twice. How are so many people still misunderstanding the basic terminology?

How there were two impeachment trials with zero witnesses and so many refused subpeanas beggars belief. The system over there is truly unfit for purpose.
I mean he was never going to be convicted.
I doubt there would be value for future elections given that most people tend to vote on economics and cultural identity (plus issues like COVID when they happen), and those who do only vote on stuff like this likely already have all the info they need to make a choice.
Part of the reason they will have only two years of Congress is because they never stand up to fight for their base.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
There have been numerous times that the CNN commentators claim something is possible and then have to come back and reverse their claim later. The reality is that the Senate rules are a black hole that no one understands and that most things take 60 votes to change, which means you need 10 GOP votes to do many basic things, like changing a schedule. I do think that ending the filibuster is inevitable as a result (maybe the Dems will be too scared but the GOP eventually will).
They're taking a week off now, so I'm not sure you're argument about other matter's urgency is a good one in this case.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
That was probably never going to work given that Senators are needed to run the government.
I don't know, and by your "probably" I assume you don't either. It's the fact they didn't even try that is so ridiculous.

sport2793

I mean he was never going to be convicted.

Part of the reason they will have only two years of Congress is because they never stand up to fight for their base.
I'm surprised that people still think that the inability to turn out the base is the reason that Dems don't win more, especially with all the data from the 2020 election. The reality is that it is more important to win moderate, high-propensity voters to your side to win gerrymandered house districts.

sport2793

They're taking a week off now, so I'm not sure you're argument about other matter's urgency is a good one in this case.
Already addressed this in a previous comment explaining that Schumer would need to get GOP support to stop the vacation. This will never happen as everyone in the GOP, even those who voted to convict, care more about themselves than helping others.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I'm surprised that people still think that the inability to turn out the base is the reason that Dems don't win more, especially with all the data from the 2020 election. The reality is that it is more important to win moderate, high-propensity voters to your side to win gerrymandered house districts.
The abysmal failure of efforts in purple states (like Texas) to win at the state level means that we have only seen the tip of the gerrymandering ice berg.

sport2793

The abysmal failure of efforts in purple states (like Texas) to win at the state level means that we have only seen the tip of the gerrymandering ice berg.
Ya I'm really scared about it. If the Dems don't grow a pair, remove the filibuster, and pass the John Lewis bill, we are all likely screwed.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Already addressed this in a previous comment explaining that Schumer would need to get GOP support to stop the vacation. This will never happen as everyone in the GOP, even those who voted to convict, care more about themselves than helping others.
OK, another opportunity to make a point to americans. Have the senate next week with 50 democrat senators saying they're ready to work on a relief bill to help americans but all the 50 republicans chose not to show up and go on vacation instead.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Already addressed this in a previous comment explaining that Schumer would need to get GOP support to stop the vacation. This will never happen as everyone in the GOP Senate, even those who voted to convict, care more about themselves than helping others.
Again, he would need 1 GOP Senator to do this. One. He did it because his own party cares more about themselves then us. That is not a GOP exclusive issue. If he can prove all 50 in his caucus would have shown up, and not a single GOP member would, then I retract.

Adisa

He progresses his agenda because he has no agenda apart from maintaining the status quo + odd tax cut.
He went from having a 5/4 SCOTUS to having a 6/3 by being a monumental cnut. Wish the Dems had that kind of a cnut.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Ya I'm really scared about it. If the Dems don't grow a pair, remove the filibuster, and pass the John Lewis bill, we are all likely screwed.
Agree 1000000%. How the Dems do not see that their only hope in the near/medium future is HR1/S1 is beyond me. It will pass the house no problem, but the Dem senators lack of self preservation is shocking.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't know, and by your "probably" I assume you don't either. It's the fact they didn't even try that is so ridiculous.
You have to ask what the objective would be, especially given that there are a mountain of other legislative actions the Dem Senate needs to get to. COVID, economy, infrastructure, healthcare and many others.

Dudu

"Our historic, patriotic and beautiful movement to Make America Great Again has only just begun. In the months ahead I have much to share with you...”

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
You have to ask what the objective would be, especially given that there are a mountain of other legislative actions the Dem Senate needs to get to. COVID, economy, infrastructure, healthcare and many others.
Maybe show their voters, who overwhelmingly hate Trump, they are willing to fight to convict them using all the weapons they can and not cave to what republicans want on the first occasion?

sport2793

OK, another opportunity to make a point to americans. Have the senate next week with 50 democrat senators saying they're ready to work on a relief bill to help americans but all the 50 republicans chose not to show up and go on vacation instead.
If the Dems did this, they would just look spectacularly stupid. The GOP will just point and laugh while developing their tans at a tropical destination. Then the same folks on this forum complaining about the Dems folding would then cry about how dumb the Dems made themselves look.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
McConnell is condemning Trump after voting not guilty. Bonkers.
Which is actually worse than just saying "feck it, didn't want to convict". He is leaning hard into the "Ah shucks, if only he was still in office I would have voted guilty." This is setting recorded precedent.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
If the Dems did this, they would just look spectacularly stupid. The GOP will just point and laugh while developing their tans at a tropical destination. Then the same folks on this forum complaining about the Dems folding would then cry about how dumb the Dems made themselves look.
They would look stupid by showing up to work on a relief bill during a pandemic when their voters are suffering? I don't think the majority of voters would see it like that. I certainly wouldn't if I was an american.

DavidDeSchmikes

Hasn't McConnell voted not guilty?

This speech is like scoring a consolation goal in the 91st minute

Adisa

McConnell is a scumbag. How can he marry what he's saying with voting to acquit?