The MMA thread

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
McG is just some bloke he had fun with and choked. A blur is the hundreds of men whom he has defeated.

There is nothing McG can now say or do to challenge Khabibs GOAT status and so nothing he can say they will even get on his radar anymore. It’s done.
Your bias :lol:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Where in my post do you read that Khabib doesn’t beat McGregor again?
I suppose were you said mcgregor wasn’t at his best when they fought. I think mcgregor did quite well in the fight even though he was still well beaten in the end, and he wouldn’t be able to improve on that if they went up against each other again.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Who does he need to fight still in your opinion?
Not sure. It’s not your own fault if there are no other GOAT contenders in your own weightclass. But why doesn’t he switch to another class and wins a fight there? Wouldn’t hurt his status anyway. I think e.g. Adesanya is a more intriguing and equally great fighter at the moment but just considered less dominant.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The only way Khabib can be beat is if he deviates from his game plan and loses his head in the cage. Otherwise, he's infallible. There's absolutely nothing to suggest in the 29 fights that he had, that he has any chinks in his armour. None.
As someone who really knows this sport, that is quite some statement and one which I appreciate :D

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
McG is just some bloke he had fun with and choked. A blur is the hundreds of men whom he has defeated.

There is nothing McG can now say or do to challenge Khabibs GOAT status and so nothing he can say they will even get on his radar anymore. It’s done.
Insert *Oh God it’s pathetic* meme.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yeah I think McGregor fight will happen providing Conor beats Dustin. Dustin is a different animal than he was at 145. Also Gaethje has real bad blood with Conor. Itnink the fight is 3/4 years away.
McG vs Gaethje is 3 years away? Why can’t it happen next autumn?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
@sammsky1 I like you mate but you don't half lose it.. if you look back Conor actually did very well against Khabib in terms of stuffing down takedown. He looked very proficient. Gaethje let Khabib take his back like a Child.

RedTiger

Half mast
I'm generally deeply suspicious of the emphasis that has often been placed on Khabib's background. That "people from where he's from are a different breed" type stuff that underplays the fact that he's a great fighter because of his talent, dedication and skillset, not because of where he was born. Or indeed it being used to excuse less admirable actions on his part, as if he has to behave in a certain way because of where he's from. Particularly when it's coming from people who aren't from that background in the first place.

However, I'm perfectly happy to accept that the posters claiming that a Muslim's promise to his mother is "unbreakable" and that those of us doubting his retirement don't understand his culture are correct. It isn't the way the fight game typically works, but maybe Khabib really is different. I certainly don't know enough to claim otherwise.

And if it turns out that Khabib does fight again, I'm sure those posters will be quick to admit they were wrong, that they don't understand Khabib's background and the influence it has on him as much as they thought they did and that their insistence that Khabib was so different to other fighters was rather sanctimonious. ;)
But he can talk to his mother, and she approves of the next fight. It’s not something that is set in stone
Thats also true tbf

Berbaclass

@sammsky1 I like you mate but you don't half lose it.. if you look back Conor actually did very well against Khabib in terms of stuffing down takedown. He looked very proficient. Gaethje let Khabib take his back like a Child.
This. Hardly the mauling people always claim...

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Nah. That’s just McG chat. He got killed. Best of the losers but that’s it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If you concentrate on something other than setting your Conor McGregor effigy alight you might see it's very possible right now.
I’m not wasting any more of my evening thinking about a drug addict and alleged rapist, when I can think about the career of the GOAT

But you go for it!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I still don't understand how justin got gassed in the first round.
Yeah i noticed that too. Commentators was also taking about the relentless pressure of khabib, who looked like he wa having a jog in the park.

Paxi

That will never ever happen.
If in 3 years time Khabib is still up to it and Conor has beaten both Gaethje and Porier then I think there is a fight to be made. An absolute super fight. I think it happens.

Paxi

Fighting and breathing, its rhythmic. Like people say you don't know until you step into the cage with Khabib, he's just different level.

Berbaclass

It already happened, and everyone saw who was better.

it would be interesting to have something like Khabib vs Floyd Mayweather (under MMA rules).
For who? The only person who would enjoy that would be @sammsky1 who'd rip the head off it watching him cave Floyd's little head in

Paxi

it would be interesting to have something like Khabib vs Floyd Mayweather (under MMA rules).
Let's do a poll shall we? I guarantee you that Khabib Conor would blow any other match up out of the water. I'm not saying it will definitely happen but by the time it could it could be the biggest purse in ufc history.. something that wouldn't be surprased for years. Mans a Muslim but he still has a big ego.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The only way Khabib can be beat is if he deviates from his game plan and loses his head in the cage. Otherwise, he's infallible. There's absolutely nothing to suggest in the 29 fights that he had, that he has any chinks in his armour. None.
His weaknesses are clear as day, but, the guy to expose them has to be the equivelant level to his ground game and mauling in stand up and footwork.

Khabib has actually shown something really smart in using unorthodox methods that even if they whiff, put him in grappling set-ups. Fighters aren't just mindful of his stand-up; they are wary of what comes wrapped inside of it. They bail rather than square up at points where Khabib is wide open, because he's then got hands on them, and it's almost set in stone that once he gets his hands on the other guy, the fight is over.

Not knocking the guy - only he can fight stand-up that way, but it's clear as day that an elite all-round striker, has inlets.

I think the wild man he was tonight is a different animal altogether though. That's a whole different level of pressure and aura that it will take someone very special to withstand. I think it's a one-off though; all the emotion and thoughts about his Dad were poured out on Gaethje.

Berbaclass

Let's do a poll shall we? I guarantee you that Khabib Conor would blow any other match up out of the water. I'm not saying it will definitely happen but by the time it could it could be the biggest purse in ufc history.. something that wouldn't be surprased for years. Mans a Muslim but he still has a big ego.
It already is the biggest PPV in UFC history. The rematch would easily eclipse it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

The only thing interesting about that is how they'd get Mayweather to agree to being murdered on live television. I would say they'd take his family hostage but I don't think he cares about his family that much.

Berbaclass

The only thing interesting about that is how they'd get Mayweather to agree to being murdered on live television. I would say they'd take his family hostage but I don't think he cares about his family that much.
I think if he gets a cheque he'd probably consider it TBH.

Alemar

But why? There are many great fighters, great boxers. Conor is simply not one of them - he is just one of many. Nothing justifies his repeat fight with Khabib.

There are great potential rivals for Khabib, but they fight in heavier categories, it’s just as simple as that

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
The only fight that makes sense to crown him 30-0 would be GSP. A hero of his, a legend in his own right. It would be a real spectacle and little risk to GSP, being inactive for so long. It’s an easy sell for the UFC, and has the potential for some great build.

Ferguson is great and he is highly unorthodox, but I don’t seem him being good enough to give Khabib problems either.

It’s not fair when you consider that styles make fights and after having such a long streak, but his demolition at the hands of a man who just lost handily, has hurt the pull to that fight. It’s frustrating, but it’s true. The UFC weren’t fair to Tony when he was a juggernaut, imagine now when they have an excuse?

Ferguson is well capable of getting a few monster wins and stoking the fires again, but time is a real issue now. I don’t think the pull of that fight is enough to bring him back

Conor has been there, put on a decent performance (which is helped by tonight), but it was cut and dry who the better fighter was on the night. Peak Conor isn’t a thing anymore.

For GSP, questions of peaks, potential and performances don’t matter at all. It would be purely for the spectacle and the occasion. It would be the only proper option for his last fight.

Berbaclass

But why? There are many great fighters, great boxers. Conor is simply not one of them - he is just one of many. Nothing justifies his repeat fight with Khabib.

There are great potential rivals for Khabib, but they fight in heavier categories, it’s just as simple as that
Apart from the fecking boatload of money it would earn everyone. It would be the biggest fight in UFC history in PPV numbers and purse.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think if he gets a cheque he'd probably consider it TBH.
If he wants money (and I'm sure he does, constantly) then I'm sure he could lure a MMA fighter into a boxing match whenever he wanted. He's in the happy position of being able to win stupid pointless match ups for big money rather than losing them.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Really? The pressure exerted from Khabib was immense. Mentally draining and just plain ridiculous pace. There's no way Gaethje prepared for that.

Khabib came out like his life depended on ending the fight ASAP - that kind of pace didn't look sustainable for more than 2 rounds, which is really poor strategic planning, if, of course, you don't get the job done, but obviously there was no need to concern about that in the end.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Nah. That’s just McG chat. He got killed. Best of the losers but that’s it.
I think you need to relax with your mcgregor is shit hyperbole as it makes people think of you less seriously. I’m agreeing with your outlook in some respects but I think you need to be a bit more nuanced.

Paxi

His weaknesses are clear as day, but, the guy to expose them has to be the equivelant level to his ground game and mauling in stand up and footwork.

Khabib has actually shown something really smart in using unorthodox methods that even if they whiff, put him in grappling set-ups. Fighters aren't just mindful of his stand-up; they are wary of what comes wrapped inside of it. They bail rather than square up at points where Khabib is wide open, because he's then got hands on them, and it's almost set in stone that once he gets his hands on the other guy, the fight is over.

Not knocking the guy - only he can fight stand-up that way, but it's clear as day that an elite all-round striker, has inlets.

I think the wild man he was tonight is a different animal altogether though. That's a whole different level of pressure and aura that it will take someone very special to withstand. I think it's a one-off though; all the emotion and thoughts about his Dad were poured out on Gaethje.
Well quite. With respect, a lot of guys have tried and they have not been able to. His pressure is too great. His stand up is actually good. And his ground game is possibly the best ever, alongside Gracie. Certainly the best two. We can look in hindsight, but he's as good as I've ever seen.

That bolded bit, are we talking about the same bit? Conor, Dustin, Justin are probably some of the best strikers in the whole MMA and he had the most trouble against Dustin i thought. I really don't know what else or how else he needs to prove himself? Anyway, i though Gaethje might knock him out, but how wrong was I?

poleglass red

Wonder how long he stays retired for. He's a very religious guy so money is no temptation for him.....

Alemar

Apart from the fecking boatload of money it would earn everyone. It would be the biggest fight in UFC history in PPV numbers and purse.
It wouldn’t be the biggest fight, because it has no point from the SPORT PERSPECTIVE. There is no question about who among those two is a better sportsman, everyone already knows the answer.

What would be interesting is Khabib fighting some new rivals, and at the same time great fighters, great champions.