The MMA thread

Tel074

Conor has more than a punchers chance. The best version of Conor who was sharp knife and constantly improving is the challenge Khabib needed. Instead Conor chased money and partying and the rest is history.

Don't agree about Conor vs Gaethje. Conor is closer to Khabib's level and would wreck Gaethje, I am talking about a dedicated Conor of course. That is truly the definition of a punchers chance.
I'm a huge Conor fan but I'm also realistic. Conor is massively outmatched on the ground with Khabib and he could fight him 10 times and would only stand a chance by knocking him out. A punchers chance

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Arguing with another member
I'm not sure but that post has confirmed what I thought about you. Haha looking for a mod to back you up
I don’t need a mod to back me up you fool. Though Raoul knows a lot more than I do about MMA.
Was trying to understand the strength of your conviction.
Obviously not very much, but unsurprising seeing as you are inspired by McGregor which lets me everything I wanted to find out.

Last edited:

Tel074

Arguing with another member
I don’t need a mod to back me up you fool. Though Raoul knows a lot more than I do about MMA.
Was trying to understand the strength of your conviction.
Obviously not very much, but unsurprising seeing as you are inspired by McGregor which lets me everything I wanted to find out.
Inspired by Conor ? Strange thing to say but it's you .
Hahaha you obviously do fool . You make me laugh I will give you that much.

GiddyUp

Does Conar know that his public perception is bi-polar, and that many of his countrymen despise him as a cnut? And that its because of his many illegal crimes and misdemeanours? Does he even care?

The few people I knew who had serious and heavy cocaine addictions seemed to also undergo permanent personality changes. I suspect the highs and destructive lows during comedown on such heavy habits would take your mind into depressive areas the rest of us never experience.

All of his rape accusations and other despicable character traits seem to have started from the omnipotence he felt from the Mayweather experience. Add the heavy cocaine habit, befriending Irish mafia and the narcissism gained from selling his whisky .... I can't see how he could ever regain his former personality. And that even assumes that he wants to.

I noticed that he has employed Tony Robbins, famous for the power of positive self affirmation. That would explain his recent tweets trying to delude himself that he actually 'won' his fight vs Khabib and got 'unlucky' to fall for the choke. I know people who have had the full 'Robbins experience' and seen how his methods have transformed their lives. If Robbins succeeds, McGregor would be his must publicly successful transformation ever, am sure they are recording p[rogrees for the netflix blockbuster. So who know, maybe we will see St Mcgregor of Ireland as his final avatar?
Your guess is as good as anyone else's. I don't think anyone in Ireland gives a shit anymore.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
End of the day it is very hard to determine the GOAT. Although it’s a young sport so not actually as hard as other sports. Meaning you can narrrow it down I think to the following list

You can pick holes in them all for one reason or another but for me this is the list below in no particular order (although for me it’s GSP if I have to say)

Fedor
Jones
GSP
Khabib
Mighty Mouse
Anderson

Nunes
Joanna
Rousey
Cyborg

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
To add I do believe it was Possible for McGregor to be on this list. But zero title defences make it impossible. Even the most bias McGregor supporters have to agree. Although he is the biggest star and I find it a shame he never went on to defend his belts as his legacy could have been a lot better than it is.

Tel074

To add I do believe it was Possible for McGregor to be on this list. But zero title defences make it impossible. Even the most bias McGregor supporters have to agree. Although he is the biggest star and I find it a shame he never went on to defend his belts as his legacy could have been a lot better than it is.
Yeah I agree with this and it's why Conor can't be considered . For me Jones is the goat at UFC . Khabib is a unbelievable fighter but his 29-0 is sketchy to say the least . It's really only the later of his fights he's fought anyone of worth

Oggmonster

:lol: :lol: Why would that possibly settle the matter?
Yeah, I think Dana has probably called half the UFC the GOAT at some point.

Re the rest of the stuff in here, it's funny the same posters who say "WHY DOES MCGREGOR ACT SO DESPERATE TO STAY RELEVANT" literally are the same people who get riled up by the conversation and can never stop talking about him :lol: It's the same thing every time like clockwork.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
End of the day it is very hard to determine the GOAT. Although it’s a young sport so not actually as hard as other sports. Meaning you can narrrow it down I think to the following list

You can pick holes in them all for one reason or another but for me this is the list below in no particular order (although for me it’s GSP if I have to say)

Fedor
Jones
GSP
Khabib
Mighty Mouse
Anderson

Nunes
Joanna
Rousey
Cyborg
I would include Shevchenko and Cejudo in that conversaton. Not sure Rousey and Joanna belong there but that's just my opinion.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I would include Shevchenko and Cejudo in that conversaton. Not sure Rousey and Joanna belong there but that's just my opinion.
Its a fairly easy thing to assess on the women's side. Nunes has to be the goat of the women's game since she smashed both Rousey and Cybord and also beat Shevchenko twice, and to top it all off also beat Holly Holm, Meisha Tate, and DuRandamie as well.

Rousey and Cyborg would be next tier for their respective dominant stretches prior to facing Nunes.

Shevchenko, Joanna et al, would be tier 3.

MarylandMUFan

I hope Khabib’s mum gives him permission to fight again. He’s too good to retire!
It's almost like Amanda Nunes. Not sure who you could throw at either of these fighters to make a remotely interesting fight. They are just so dominant in their weight classes (and for Khabib, that's saying something since lightweight is just stacked).

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Its a fairly easy thing to assess on the women's side. Nunes has to be the goat of the women's game since she smashed both Rousey and Cybord and also beat Shevchenko twice, and to top it all off also beat Holly Holm, Meisha Tate, and DuRandamie as well.

Rousey and Cyborg would be next tier for their respective dominant stretches prior to facing Nunes.

Shevchenko, Joanna et al, would be tier 3.
I personally find Rousey like McGregor. Done a lot for the sport but when it comes to fighting ability, can't compare to Nunes/Khabib so wouldn't think they have much credit in the goat conversation.

Joanna is slightly different but Rose beat her twice and she lost to Zhang and Shevchenko so can't really say she's a goat.

Cyborg has a claim as she only lost to Nunes and if they run that back, it could be different. Not saying it will be, but the arguement can be made. But she mainly beat cans and did lose to Nunes so for me, Nunes is above her.

Shevchenko again only lost to Nunes but that's at a weight above her natural weight and the decision was razor sharp so there's a conversation there.

With that said, the female goats conversation (for me) is between Nunes, Cyborg and Shevchenko. I would order it:

Nunes
Shevchenko
Cyborg

If Zhang carries on the way she is though, she may enter that list...

cyberman

It's almost like Amanda Nunes. Not sure who you could throw at either of these fighters to make a remotely interesting fight. They are just so dominant in their weight classes (and for Khabib, that's saying something since lightweight is just stacked).
The older Khabib gets it has to he at 170. He really does need to move up if he fights again, its a bit of McGregor at 145 weight bullying going on.
There literally isnt a challenge at 155 and hes happy with that? It just lets him down a little bit imo.

MarylandMUFan

The older Khabib gets it has to he at 170. He really does need to move up if he fights again, its a bit of McGregor at 145 weight bullying going on.
There literally isnt a challenge at 155 and hes happy with that? It just lets him down a little bit imo.
Yeah, considering the seemingly cheated to get him to meet weight on Saturday, that's probably a good call.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I'd love to see Khabib vs. Usman/Covington. Those would be something else.

Icemav

I'd love to see Khabib vs. Usman/Covington. Those would be something else.
Khabib is a monster at 155. But there are guys who can move weight classes. Really could his style handle the beast puncher wresters at Welter? It would be interesting because aside from the size thing there is the stylistic aspect. He doesnt get the same flavor at 155.

Last edited:

Heardy

Has anyone seen a transcript of Khabib's post fight interview in the Octagon? I'm curious to see what he said when he switched to Avar/Russian/Arabic (not sure what language it was).

Was it a translation of what he had said in English, or was it something else - any ideas?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Because Dana says so after a big win ? Definitely not.

Especially since he said this literally a few months ago.

:lol: :lol: Why would that possibly settle the matter?
I never knew Dana was so loose with his praise on this subject. But you agree he is one of the few people who could make this judgement?

Perhaps his view on GOAT is an evolving opinion, which by definition a GOAT would be as new fighters achieve amazing feats?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I never knew Dana was so loose with his praise on this subject. But you agree he is one of the few people who could make this judgement?

Perhaps his view on GOAT is an evolving opinion, which by definition a GOAT would be as new fighters achieve amazing feats?
His opinion probably means less than that of the random well informed UFC fan who has a decade or more experience watching fights. Dana is first and foremost a promoter and mercantilist, who bases his decisions on ridiculous things like fighters he gets along with more than those he doesn’t, those who make him more money vs those who make less etc.. He is also incredibly grudgy and ultimately anything he says has to be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
His opinion probably means less than that of the random well informed UFC fan who has a decade or more experience watching fights. Dana is first and foremost a promoter and mercantilist, who bases his decisions on ridiculous things like fighters he get along with more than those he doesn’t, those who make him more money vs those who make less etc.. He is also incredibly grudgy and ultimately anything he says has to be taken with a massive pinch of salt.
Got it. Thanks for the context

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
His opinion probably means less than that of the random well informed UFC fan who has a decade or more experience watching fights. Dana is first and foremost a promoter and mercantilist, who bases his decisions on ridiculous things like fighters he get along with more than those he doesn’t, those who make him more money vs those who make less etc.. He is also incredibly grudgy and ultimately anything he says has to be taken with a massive pinch of salt.
Agreed.

The only person I believe less than Dana is Rogan (when he's commentating).

"OH! HE'S ROCKED! THIS IS IT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. THE REFS ABOUT TO STOP IT".

Then you see the "rocked fighter" just carry on like nothing happened... Probably because he just got punched on the thigh.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Agreed.

The only person I believe less than Dana is Rogan (when he's commentating).

"OH! HE'S ROCKED! THIS IS IT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. THE REFS ABOUT TO STOP IT".

Then you see the "rocked fighter" just carry on like nothing happened... Probably because he just got punched on the thigh.
I actually quite enjoy Rogan as a commentator :lol:

He is absolutely guilty of being a hype merchant and sensationalist but can offer some insight at times.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

He is absolutely guilty of being a hype merchant and sensationalist but can offer some insight at times.
Its been heaven not having Rogan around lately. I wouldn't mind him once in a blue moon for the biggest events, but most of the time his commentary is tedious and insufferable.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Its been heaven not having Rogan around lately. I wouldn't mind him once in a blue moon for the biggest events, but most of the time his commentary is tedious and insufferable.
Yeah I feel pretty similar tbh. I like the hype he brings for the really big events.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

I find him hilarious for the hyperbole. I just don't believe anything he says regarding the actual fights.

I remember that shot Michael Johnson got on Khabib.

Without commentary: it felt like Khabib wobbled for a second and recovered.

With commentary: it felt like Khabib needed a life support machine to carry on.

:lol:

RedTiger

Half mast
Has anyone seen a transcript of Khabib's post fight interview in the Octagon? I'm curious to see what he said when he switched to Avar/Russian/Arabic (not sure what language it was).

Was it a translation of what he had said in English, or was it something else - any ideas?
“To my fans — if I say my fans in Russia, that would be wrong. Let’s say all my Russian-speaking fans. A huge thank you to you all. When I started in 2008, and when I signed with the UFC in 2012, many people didn’t believe. They thought it was impossible. I’m a simple guy from a Dagestani mountain village."

“When I came here, my brother told me ‘Google says you’re the planet’s most discussed person.’ I couldn’t believe it because I didn’t even think of that. I just wanted to be champion with the guidance of my father. I never thought I’d get such a heavy load dropped on my shoulders,” he said.

“Alhamdullillah (praise be to god). If you have parents, be close to them. That’s all,” Khabib stated. “I only have one parent left, my mom. I want to spend more time with her"

Duafc

Village Lemon

Fedor
Jones
GSP
Khabib
Mighty Mouse
Anderson

Nunes
Joanna
Rousey
Cyborg
Broadly I agree thoughI don’t think Rousey belongs - as totally transformative as she was for women’s MMA the total collapse just kills it imo.

Joanna also slightly rankles with me, though I just can’t stand her.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Broadly I agree thoughI don’t think Rousey belongs - as totally transformative as she was for women’s MMA the total collapse just kills it imo.

Joanna also slightly rankles with me, though I just can’t stand her.
She got stopped by Rose and then beaten again in the rematch. Then lost to Shevchenko. And then lost to Zhang Wei Li. She doesn't belong in the goat conversation as far as I'm concerned.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
She got stopped by Rose and then beaten again in the rematch. Then lost to Shevchenko. And then lost to Zhang Wei Li. She doesn't belong in the goat conversation as far as I'm concerned.
She did have a pretty good run before encountering Rose.

Also, she had no business fighting Shevchenko, who is in a different weight class and clearly better than her.