The MMA thread

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Would love Edwards to finally get his match with Masvidal
You mean his rematch? ;)

Id love that fight, but Jorge wants none of that shit.

ps. Chimaev hasn't recovered from COVID yet. His lungs remain compromised and need more time to heal. I hope he recovers 100%, but that's not a given. COVID is a dangerous disease that will leave many with lifetime consequences.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
You mean his rematch? ;)

Id love that fight, but Jorge wants none of that shit.

ps. Chimaev hasn't recovered from COVID yet. His lungs remain compromised and need more time to heal. I hope he recovers 100%, but that's not a given. COVID is a dangerous disease that will leave many with lifetime consequences.
Hah, yeah! Also agree, Edwards has been asking for that fight for years. I don't really like using the term 'ducking' because I think sometimes it's too simplistic a way to view the way fights are set up but in this case I'd say Masvidal has been ducking him for years.

Shame that about Chimaev, horrible to see someone's career get derailed by that fecking disease. Any news on how Cody's recovering?

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Almost time...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Damn, i don't want neither to lose.

But if Khabib comes back once more for the 30th, it ought to be against mcgregor, after a run of wins against the best in LW. That would be movie worthy

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Almost time...

Firstly, feck you UFC. I was trying to use that song for a promo and was told a sports company paid extra so no one else can use it during their promotion run :lol:

Secondly, feck you BT Sport putting this on box office.

Finally, I can't wait. Poirier is one of my favourites inside and out of the cage. Rooting for him.

Ladron de redcafe

But if Khabib comes back once more for the 30th, it ought to be against mcgregor, after a run of wins against the best in LW. That would be movie worthy

If Khabib does come back, I expect it to be against St.Pierre. I just don't see Khabib coming back to fight Poirier, Conor, or Gaethje. He pretty much emasculated the first two, and finished the third quicker than the first two fights. I'm not sure what beating any of the aforementioned again would do for his legacy. I just don't see it happening, as much as it would be fun to watch.

George Owen

Firstly, feck you UFC. I was trying to use that song for a promo and was told a sports company paid extra so no one else can use it during their promotion run :lol:

Secondly, feck you BT Sport putting this on box office.

Finally, I can't wait. Poirier is one of my favourites inside and out of the cage. Rooting for him.
:lol:

Dustin is such a nice guy, but I want Conor to beat him up.

Hopefully we get the Khabib rematch. Mythical creature, "Focused Conor", is a different beast.

ps. this was hilarious :lol:

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
:lol:

Dustin is such a nice guy, but I want Conor to beat him up.

Hopefully we get the Khabib rematch. Mythical creature, "Motivated Conor", is a different beast.

ps. this was hilarious :lol:
What kind of question is that? Can't say I'm surprised at it judging by his haircut mind :lol:

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
It's a shame they cut if off when they did, as his next question was, "Assuming that terrible event were to occur...would you wear his skin?"
"assuming you do indeed kill him... would you go after his wife and kids afterwards?"

TrustInOle

Just seen pictures of Conor finishing his training camp and my word he looks absolutely jacked. :eek:

As someone said above, I love Dustin in and out the ring, but a motivated McGregor is a dangerous animal. Have a feeling this will be an unbelievable fight. But I just can't find myself getting against Conor.

Ladron de redcafe

Just seen pictures of Conor finishing his training camp and my word he looks absolutely jacked. :eek:

As someone said above, I love Dustin in and out the ring, but a motivated McGregor is a dangerous animal. Have a feeling this will be an unbelievable fight. But I just can't find myself getting against Conor.
Conor was as motivated as he has ever been against Khabib. And he got demolished. This seems to be a theme with fight fans. Every time a fighter loses, they engage in mental gymnastics to explain why said fighter lost.

If Conor wins, it's because he matches up well against Poirier. It isn't because he's "motivated" in this fight and wasn't "motivated" in his losses. He can be as motivated as he wants to be (case in point the Khabib fight) and it wouldn't make a difference if the other guy is a better fighter.

Ladron de redcafe

In other news, Masvidal is leaving Twitter, to take a stand against the platform for banning Donald Trump's account

Jorge Masvidal threatens to quit Twitter after Donald Trump ban

During a rally in Florida, Gamebred said: “I’m a professional athlete and I’ve been one for most of my life so I’ve always seen things through a sports lens.

“That makes Donald Trump our head coach and before the global pandemic we were winning Super Bowls, numerous ones.

"When you win the Super Bowl you don’t get fired. You don’t lose your job. It doesn’t matter if you don’t like the players he puts on the field, what he says on Twitter that may hurt your feelings or the plays he runs.

"You sure as hell don’t replace him for another coach that’s been in the business for 47 years at every level and never won a f***ing game.

“We have a wolf rattling on our door. We need a lion to protect us. Thank God we have one – his name is Donald Trump.”

Oggmonster

Conor was as motivated as he has ever been against Khabib. And he got demolished. This seems to be a theme with fight fans. Every time a fighter loses, they engage in mental gymnastics to explain why said fighter lost.

If Conor wins, it's because he matches up well against Poirier. It isn't because he's "motivated" in this fight and wasn't "motivated" in his losses. He can be as motivated as he wants to be (case in point the Khabib fight) and it wouldn't make a difference if the other guy is a better fighter.
I agree Dustin is a Good match up for McGregor in style but I disagree with the bolded point, whilst I'm sure he trained for it he really didn't seem as motivated as he has been since. Even his coaches have said as much that he was training but at times that suited him etc rather than the routine he'd usually do etc.

Oggmonster

In other news, Masvidal is leaving Twitter, to take a stand against the platform for banning Donald Trump's account

Jorge Masvidal threatens to quit Twitter after Donald Trump ban

During a rally in Florida, Gamebred said: “I’m a professional athlete and I’ve been one for most of my life so I’ve always seen things through a sports lens.

“That makes Donald Trump our head coach and before the global pandemic we were winning Super Bowls, numerous ones.

"When you win the Super Bowl you don’t get fired. You don’t lose your job. It doesn’t matter if you don’t like the players he puts on the field, what he says on Twitter that may hurt your feelings or the plays he runs.

"You sure as hell don’t replace him for another coach that’s been in the business for 47 years at every level and never won a f***ing game.

“We have a wolf rattling on our door. We need a lion to protect us. Thank God we have one – his name is Donald Trump.”
Masvidal is a clown. Always has been but most people aren't that bothered by politics of fighters. I think someone like Anthony Joshua has it right with his image basically don't say much controversial at all.

Ladron de redcafe

I agree Dustin is a Good match up for McGregor in style but I disagree with the bolded point, whilst I'm sure he trained for it he really didn't seem as motivated as he has been since. Even his coaches have said as much that he was training but at times that suited him etc rather than the routine he'd usually do etc.

I would agree with you but fighters' coaches and cornermen routinely come up with a myriad of excuses when their man/woman loses.

Going into the fight, Conor was talking about how he was more focused than he'd ever been (and the UFC embedded videos show him training like a maniac, even on his cardio, which Conor said he hadn't done since his younger years). He came in confident and predicted he would knock out Khabib.

The reality was a massacre that destroyed his "badass" image. And that was when he and his camp started with the stories about Connor's foot being "the size of a baloon" (no mention of any injury prior to the fight and no indication or medical report that shows he was encumbered in any way). After the general public laugh off that excuse as an attempt of damage control, his coaches Kavanaugh and Danis start to plant stories about him not being prepared.

It's commonplace in MMA and it always comes across as sour grapes. Just because a coach or a fighter list an excuse that would extensive their loss, it doesn't make it true.

A major example in modern sports was LeBron James after an NBA finals series against the Warriors. His team had just been swept and he was outplayed by his opposing SF Kevin Durant. And he showed up to the post-finals press conference with a cast on his hand, claiming that he had broken his hand early on in the series (despite the fact that he was playing without a cast half an hour earlier and there was no indication of any hand injury).

Athletes do this a lot. Whenever an athlete and his agents/coaches feel that they need damage control, they tend to list every excuse imaginable to control the narrative after that athlete's defeat.

Ladron de redcafe

Masvidal is a clown. Always has been but most people aren't that bothered by politics of fighters. I think someone like Anthony Joshua has it right with his image basically don't say much controversial at all.
I agree, in general. But I feel that most UFC fans lean right-wing. If you were to glance at Sherdog, you'd see how popular the likes of Covington and Masvidal are with that fanbase. Which makes me wonder whether this is all a calculated move to ingratiate himself with the MMA fanbase.

I don't think people should be bothered by the politics of a fighter, as you said. I think that if we did, we'd find ourselves being put off by a lot of them. Even the ones that seemed decent like Matt Hughes, have some really disturbing actions once you dig into their lives and views.

Oggmonster

I would agree with you but fighters' coaches and cornermen routinely come up with a myriad of excuses when their man/woman loses.

Going into the fight, Conor was talking about how he was more focused than he'd ever been (and the UFC embedded videos show him training like a maniac, even on his cardio, which Conor said he hadn't done since his younger years). He came in confident and predicted he would knock out Khabib.

The reality was a massacre that destroyed his "badass" image. And that was when he and his camp started with the stories about Connor's foot being "the size of a baloon" (no mention of any injury prior to the fight and no indication or medical report that shows he was encumbered in any way). After the general public laugh off that excuse as an attempt of damage control, his coaches Kavanaugh and Danis start to plant stories about him not being prepared.

It's commonplace in MMA and it always comes across as sour grapes. Just because a coach or a fighter list an excuse that would extensive their loss, it doesn't make it true.

A major example in modern sports was LeBron James after an NBA finals series against the Warriors. His team had just been swept and he was outplayed by his opposing SF Kevin Durant. And he showed up to the post-finals press conference with a cast on his hand, claiming that he had broken his hand early on in the series (despite the fact that he was playing without a cast half an hour earlier and there was no indication of any hand injury).

Athletes do this a lot. Whenever an athlete and his agents/coaches feel that they need damage control, they tend to list every excuse imaginable to control the narrative after that athlete's defeat.
In fairness though we don't know these people personally so whilst you do have to take what they say with a grain of salt they can also be telling the truth.

From the outside looking in just from press conferences and build up etc he did seem off.

I agree Khabib bettered him but I really don't think it was beyond the realms of possibility that he had demons and wasn't highly motivated for the Khabib fight compared to now.

Ladron de redcafe

In fairness though we don't know these people personally so whilst you do have to take what they say with a grain of salt they can also be telling the truth.

From the outside looking in just from press conferences and build up etc he did seem off.

I agree Khabib bettered him but I really don't think it was beyond the realms of possibility that he had demons and wasn't highly motivated for the Khabib fight compared to now.
That's true. We can never know for certain, as you said. It's just a matter of whether you believe it's consistent with that athlete and his camp's statements in the leadup to the performance or whether you think it's an attempt to save face. In his case, i think every interview, every behind-the-scenes video, and every statement prior to the fight indicated he was focused before the loss precipitated these diametrically opposed statements.

TrustInOle

I disagree. He was far more interested in his whiskey production and marketing, along with coming of the back of his mega money boxing match. In my opinion, his heart was nowhere near the levels it was before.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I disagree. He was far more interested in his whiskey production and marketing, along with coming of the back of his mega money boxing match. In my opinion, his heart was nowhere near the levels it was before.
Maybe true, maybe not. Either way, that's just not an excuse. I don't even like the injury excuse after a loss but the motivation one is far worst. It's up to him to be motivated. Whatever his excuse, he was handily slapped up and everyone will always now agree that Khabib is his daddy.

TrustInOle

Maybe true, maybe not. Either way, that's just not an excuse. I don't even like the injury excuse after a loss but the motivation one is far worst. It's up to him to be motivated. Whatever his excuse, he was handily slapped up and everyone will always now agree that Khabib is his daddy.
I never said any different? I'd fully expect Khabib to win again as he is the most complete fighter I have seen since GSP. Doesn't mean Conor hadn't lost his edge considering there wasn't much to fight for anymore, unless of course for status.

Edit. Also my comment said I think he looks more confident and motivated, how you turned that into thinking I was making an excuse for the Khabib match is beyond me.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I never said any different? I'd fully expect Khabib to win again as he is the most complete fighter I have seen since GSP. Doesn't mean Conor hadn't lost his edge considering there wasn't much to fight for anymore, unless of course for status.

Edit. Also my comment said I think he looks more confident and motivated, how you turned that into thinking I was making an excuse for the Khabib match is beyond me.
I wasn't attacking you bud. I'm just saying that if the word from camp McGregor is that he was not motivated for that fight then it's not an acceptable excuse.

A lot of media outlets say McGregor loses the best but all I see after his losses are excuses. He's just like any other fighter.

TrustInOle

I wasn't attacking you bud. I'm just saying that if the word from camp McGregor is that he was not motivated for that fight then it's not an acceptable excuse.

A lot of media outlets say McGregor loses the best but all I see after his losses are excuses. He's just like any other fighter.
He is indeed, I also don't think I've heard from McGregor or his camp about any issues, but I may be wrong in that. It was just my opinion that even in the fight lead up, he wasn't the same. Overly aggressive, constantly drunk ect.

All I can say is, I am massively excited for this fight, as Dustin has come on leaps and bounds since their first match. The match up is mouth watering.

George Owen

More than motivation, lack of focus was the main problem. He had too much going on. Parties, cocaine, bitches, alcohol, businesses... In a game of centimetres and split seconds, you won't be near close to your 100% with that lifestyle.

Now it looks he had his fun and is back in business. The fight with Dustin gonna be a good barometer.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
He is indeed, I also don't think I've heard from McGregor or his camp about any issues, but I may be wrong in that. It was just my opinion that even in the fight lead up, he wasn't the same. Overly aggressive, constantly drunk ect.

All I can say is, I am massively excited for this fight, as Dustin has come on leaps and bounds since their first match. The match up is mouth watering.
I'm so excited. But it's on BT Box Office :(

Oggmonster

In fairness I don't think anyone gave it as an excuse, just disagreed with the sentiment that he was as "motivated as he's ever been" I remember this thread around that time pretty much everyone was saying how fecked he is and he looked coked up/pissed up etc. I'm sure plenty of us have been in that situation at a much much much lower skill level with any kind of sport and you play much better when you're sober than pissed/coked up/hungover/on a comedown. I'm not claiming for 1 second he was drinking during the fight or anything I'm sure he wasn't but it has been strongly implied by his team his lifestyle was not good during the build up and training camp to that fight. It's not an excuse I imagine he loses either way but I don't think the Khabib fight is the most motivated he's ever been. From the outside in he was far more motivated vs. Aldo and also Alvarez (which was his best performance.)

Again, can only listen to what those around him say and the likes of Owen Roddy who seems a decent enough guy has had various interviews stating he lost focus for the Khabib fight and whilst he was training it wasn't his usual discpline, he said the Cerrone build up was different and they went back to what they knew...and it clearly worked.

Re the BT Sport stuff, can you record their box office and watch the next day? I know you can with Sky Sports....or is it like the Khabib fight which was actually on at a decent time?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
In fairness I don't think anyone gave it as an excuse, just disagreed with the sentiment that he was as "motivated as he's ever been" I remember this thread around that time pretty much everyone was saying how fecked he is and he looked coked up/pissed up etc. I'm sure plenty of us have been in that situation at a much much much lower skill level with any kind of sport and you play much better when you're sober than pissed/coked up/hungover/on a comedown. I'm not claiming for 1 second he was drinking during the fight or anything I'm sure he wasn't but it has been strongly implied by his team his lifestyle was not good during the build up and training camp to that fight. It's not an excuse I imagine he loses either way but I don't think the Khabib fight is the most motivated he's ever been. From the outside in he was far more motivated vs. Aldo and also Alvarez (which was his best performance.)

Again, can only listen to what those around him say and the likes of Owen Roddy who seems a decent enough guy has had various interviews stating he lost focus for the Khabib fight and whilst he was training it wasn't his usual discpline, he said the Cerrone build up was different and they went back to what they knew...and it clearly worked.

Re the BT Sport stuff, can you record their box office and watch the next day? I know you can with Sky Sports....or is it like the Khabib fight which was actually on at a decent time?
Nah you have to pay full whack for this on BT sport. Which is annoying as it'll probably be on at the silly hours of the morning.