The MMA thread

Ladron de redcafe

What's everyone's predictions for this:

Adesanya doesn't have the same reach advantage against Jan as he did against Whittaker and Costa. And he's going to be outweight by about 20 pounds.

Nunes is fighting someone who is going to be towering over her in Meghan Anderson. Having said that, Anderson is very hittable. For what it's worth, the odds for Anderson make it very tempting to place something on her.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

Adesanya doesn't have the same reach advantage against Jan as he did against Whittaker and Costa. And he's going to be outweight by about 20 pounds.

Nunes is fighting someone who is going to be towering over her in Meghan Anderson. Having said that, Anderson is very hittable. For what it's worth, the odds for Anderson make it very tempting to place something on her.
I have Aljamain, Izzy and Amanda.

I would love if Megan can get the upset though, but man, she is terrible. Any time the level of competition rises a little bit, she looks out of her depth. Now would be the best moment for an upset, because Amanda has clearly not been focusing 100% on this fight.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

I have a feeling the W will go to Yan, Nunes and Adesanya.

But I really want Jan to win via legendary polish power. Always loved the guy and even more so after he sent Luke Rockhold into a different dimension.

Ladron de redcafe

I think I agree with your picks for the co-main and main event. Like dirty Schwein, I'm going to be pulling for Jan but I'm not sure he can do it. And as George Owen pointed out, Megan doesn't seem to come up big in the big moments, as much as I'd like her to win.

Let's hope for a dramatic Jon Jones call out if Israel does win the light heavyweight title.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I think I agree with your picks for the co-main and main event. Like dirty Schwein, I'm going to be pulling for Jan but I'm not sure he can do it. And as George Owen pointed out, Megan doesn't seem to come up big in the big moments, as much as I'd like her to win.

Let's hope for a dramatic Jon Jones call out if Israel does win the light heavyweight title.
Question is, will Adesanya again have a saggy boob?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Hoping for a Sterling win. He was so impressive against such a dangerous fighter in Sandhagen and has been overlooked for too long.

If Megan Anderson were to beat Amanda Nunes, it would be the single biggest upset in the history of the sport. Nunes is better at literally everything and Anderson has looked absolutely useless fairly recently (Spencer fight)

I am going to stick my neck out and say that Jan is going to shock the world and knockout Adesanya. He has the weight advantage, he has quick punches (like his left hook) that can end fights quickly, and he is a better grappler. I am really hoping this happens because I don’t think there is another fighter that needs to be humbled more than Adesanya.

Jan is such a likeable character too that kept going to get to the title the hard way. I don’t want to see him lose it just yet.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Hoping for a Sterling win. He was so impressive against such a dangerous fighter in Sandhagen and has been overlooked for too long.

If Megan Anderson were to beat Amanda Nunes, it would be the single biggest upset in the history of the sport. Nunes is better at literally everything and Anderson has looked absolutely useless fairly recently (Spencer fight)

I am going to stick my neck out and say that Jan is going to shock the world and knockout Adesanya. He has the weight advantage, he has quick punches (like his left hook) that can end fights quickly, and he is a better grappler. I am really hoping this happens because I don’t think there is another fighter that needs to be humbled more than Adesanya.

Jan is such a likeable character too that kept going to get to the title the hard way. I don’t want to see him lose it just yet.
Completely agree re: Jan. One of my favourite personalities. No nonsense, just pure Legendary Polish Power.

kidbob

Izzy will likely beat the shit out of Jan but maybe not finish him. Small chance of a Romero repeat if Jan doesn't march forward. The speed and skill difference is too much. In fact I give Whittaker a better chance at adapting to win in the rematch than I give Jan here. Hope I'm wrong though as I really like Jan. In saying that one shot could change the fight but Jan is too slow to find it (unlike Romero and Rob).

Nunes will take Anderson down (she has awful TDD) and beat her comfortably. Could destroy her on the feet too but won't be bothered to take the risk I reckon.

Sterling has absolutely nothing for Yan in my opinion. Yan finishes him round 3 or 4 after Sterling realises he can't get him down. Only chance is an Ortega style hail mary sub.

kidbob

Question is, will Adesanya again have a saggy boob?
Every single one of them is one PEDs, likely basically every sport too. Its why I don't hate on Jones too much because I would never believe that an Olympic wrestler in DC wasn't on something either.

kidbob

Some interesting comments from Whitaker

Rob is by far my favourite fighter. Such a normal respectful guy that is an animal in the cage that always has great, exciting fights. Just a pity that his injuries stopped him from defending his belt much and then Izzy came along who is just a better stand up fighter. Still Rob has gone through Till, Jared and about to fight Costa (I think he'll win) to get a rematch, so regardless of his first showing it'll be more than deserved. I don't think he'll win but I think he can win, if that makes sense?

If he beats Costa then he'll have beaten:

Romero x2
Jacare
Hall
Tavares
Brunson
Till
Jared
Costa

For me that puts him in hall of fame reach regardless of if he can beat Izzy. One of the best Middleweights ever.

Anyway in terms of your post Khabib might not be the GOAT but for me he is the most unbeatable fighter ever. It doesn't matter what your skills are because he just negates them. Basically if you could imagine a Khabib at any weight class in the UFC then nobody beats. As in a Khabib the same size as Usman beats Usman an a Khabib the same size as Jones beats Jones. Funnily enough the only slight doubt I'd have would be a Khabib the same size as Mighty Mouse.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Every single one of them is one PEDs, likely basically every sport too. Its why I don't hate on Jones too much because I would never believe that an Olympic wrestler in DC wasn't on something either.
I think that’s an easy excuse for those who have been found out. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that the likes of DC and Bisping haven’t achieved what they have done as clean athletes. It takes away from their legacies to suggest otherwise.

Even moreso in the case of Bisping who basically went on to lose an eye because of a rotten cheat and still managed to achieve his dream.

There are definitely clean fighters out there in my opinion and they deserve all the praise.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Izzy will likely beat the shit out of Jan but maybe not finish him. Small chance of a Romero repeat if Jan doesn't march forward. The speed and skill difference is too much. In fact I give Whittaker a better chance at adapting to win in the rematch than I give Jan here. Hope I'm wrong though as I really like Jan. In saying that one shot could change the fight but Jan is too slow to find it (unlike Romero and Rob).

Nunes will take Anderson down (she has awful TDD) and beat her comfortably. Could destroy her on the feet too but won't be bothered to take the risk I reckon.

Sterling has absolutely nothing for Yan in my opinion. Yan finishes him round 3 or 4 after Sterling realises he can't get him down. Only chance is an Ortega style hail mary sub.
I'm going for a Yan win but I'm not sure how you've come to this conclusion. Sterling is no joke.

What an assumption. If DC was on the drugs, he was clearly taking the wrong ones.

kidbob

I think that’s an easy excuse for those who have been found out. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that the likes of DC and Bisping haven’t achieved what they have done as clean athletes. It takes away from their legacies to suggest otherwise.

Even moreso in the case of Bisping who basically went on to lose an eye because of a rotten cheat and still managed to achieve his dream.

There are definitely clean fighters out there in my opinion and they deserve all the praise.
I just look at Lance Armstrong, who never failed a test, the Spanish blood bags being destroyed and infer that at the very top level of any sport no one is clean. Lance was one of the biggest critics of PEDs beforehand. There are those who get caught and those who don't. A big thing amongst MMA fans is that Silva took PEDs after his leg break but lets be honest he was always on them. GSP was too. DC competed for the Olympics which is perhaps the biggest PED centre of sports. I could be wrong but I don't think you reach the top without PEDs. Even Holloway (who I adore as a fighter) has otherworldly cardio while throwing the most strikes of anyone ever. I think he has a natural disposition to cardio but to fight the very best doing that then he needs a helping hand from science.

With the likes of Vitor they just abused it to the nines at a time when it was deeming mostly acceptable.

The only reason Dana brought is USADA was his attempt to legitimise the sport world wide. That has been proven by his failure to punish one if his cash cows in Jones, in fact he moved his fight with Gufsatffson to remedy it.

Its not just MMA though. I feel if we all knew the truth about football then you'd be amazed at how prevalent it is.

kidbob

I'm going for a Yan win but I'm not sure how you've come to this conclusion. Sterling is no joke.

What an assumption. If DC was on the drugs, he was clearly taking the wrong ones.
Sterling is no joke but Yan just has a style that I think wrecks him. For example McGregor is no joke but he'll never beat Khabib. I don't think Sterling can take him down and therefore he gets fecked up on the feet. I could be wrong though.

DC, as a former Olympian, was absolutely on PEDs. Unless you believe only the nefarious Russians would do something like that?

Edit: even Nate "everybody's on steroids" Diaz has taken PEDs.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Sterling is no joke but Yan just has a style that I think wrecks him. For example McGregor is no joke but he'll never beat Khabib. I don't think Sterling can take him down and therefore he gets fecked up on the feet. I could be wrong though.

DC, as a former Olympian, was absolutely on PEDs. Unless you believe only the nefarious Russians would do something like that?

Edit: even Nate "everybody's on steroids" Diaz has taken PEDs.
No I don't. But I do think your matter-of-factness on this issue with no real evidence to back such claims is a bit disrespectful.

bsCallout

That smaller cage is definitely going to help Jan. 5 rounds is a long time for Izzy to avoid that hammer. That Polish Power is REAL. Still I've got Izzy because I think he is elite.

Yan has a TOUGH fight but I expect the champ to come out with the win.

Nunes should have it comfortably.

Isn't any point discussing who is on drugs, there will be too many but it'll be unfair on those who aren't.

Edit - I mean two huge juice heads in Dana and Rogan are big faces of the UFC, nothing clean about the organisation.

kidbob

No I don't. But I do think your matter-of-factness on this issue with no real evidence to back such claims is a bit disrespectful.
I respect the shit out of DC regardless of if he took PEDs, just like I respect the shit out of Jones the fighter. If DC were to pop it wouldn't make me respect him less. I think some people see a mostly clean UFC where the drug takers are bad. I see a UFC where almost everyone is on PEDs and the ones that got caught were unlucky. So therefore I could never lose respect for any of them when I believe all their opponents where doing the same. Whittaker is my favourite fighter, he;s outspoken against PEDs, but the guy is definitely on something in my mind and I respect the hell out of him. Its simply smart to level the playing field if your up against it.

If no one had ever spoken out against Lance then there would be no evidence. Hell the Spanish courts ordered blood bags destroyed. If Snowden has never whistle blowed we'd never have found what we did but people would have been perfectly non conspiratorial to have a believe it was true.

I hope I'm wrong, and I very much could be, but for me they are all doing it. Doesn't make me respect them less though at all.

AgentSmith

Are BT not showing the entire card?

Seems to only start with the prelims unless I’m being blind.

justboy68

Just tuned in at the start of that fight. That was a good old fashioned phone booth slugfest!

Caught the highlights of the previous fights too. Seems like it's been a finish fest so far. Hope it continues!

kidbob

Zero head movement, chin up, gets knocked out. What a surprise. CKB seems overrated to me. Hooker is alright and Izzy is incredible but to be honest everyone else looks decent or below.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Are BT not showing the entire card?

Seems to only start with the prelims unless I’m being blind.
Bt coverage starts at 1am. If you’ve got espn + I think it’s on that. I can’t confirm that thought because my iptv espn+ is fecked

justboy68

Zero head movement, chin up, gets knocked out. What a surprise. CKB seems overrated to me. Hooker is alright and Izzy is incredible but to be honest everyone else looks decent or below.
I agree he was very sloppy. Asking to be knocked out.

AgentSmith

Bt coverage starts at 1am. If you’ve got espn + I think it’s on that. I can’t confirm that thought because my iptv espn+ is fecked
Thanks.

I shouldn’t complain too much, this card was definitely worthy of being a PPV by BT’s standards.

kidbob

I can't believe Tim Elliot fought DJ, the lad looks about 4 weight classes above him. What's weirder is that DJ won the fight via ground game.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Too excited for the main card tonight. Already 3/4s of a way through the bottle I got for it so gunna have to dip into the reserves :lol: :lol: