The MMA thread

redom

Well I suppose Holland knows where he's got to improve now as everyone's gonna try and do the same thing to him.

Oggmonster

Well I suppose Holland knows where he's got to improve now as everyone's gonna try and do the same thing to him.
Yeah got to give him benefit of doubt here with short notice fight he couldn't improve much.

Was painful to watch couldn't believe my luck when Benn finished just in time for UFC main event, wish he dragged it out s bit longer now. Again was a short notice fight so benefit of the doubt to both fighters really but was terrible.

Till would of easily beat Vettori so he is lucky that fight wasn't made, I think Holland landed nearly every shot he threw.

Andersons Dietician

Seriously Dern doing Jits stuff is incredible. The difference between her and black belts in all divisions is crazy. It’s actually a joy to watch he grappling on the ground.

Her striking though, it has come on massively and she’s already shown she is tough as nails and can take a hit but I’ve seen her drilling and hitting pads and she’s looked good. Gets in the octagon and seems like she gets rid of technique just swing wildly and hope she lands before the other person. Against Joanna, Rose, Zhang and the likes I feel like she’d get torn up.

She probably jumps to 5th in rankings now but then you have people like Waterson, Gadelha, Torres who would be good fights behind her. Looking at that division it’s kinda stacked.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Anyone following the Poirier/McGregor drama? Poirier said McGregor never followed through on the promised $500,000 donation to his charity. McGregor has taken it with his usual grace...

:lol:

Deery

Dreary
Is Mc Gregor on the coke again these couple of tweets are just strange?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Oh man if you ever needed proof (probably didn’t) of what an absolute sausage Conor is....it’s right here in tweet form

Oggmonster

It was such a ridiculous thing to do to offer a donation, especially 500k which is a hell of a lot of money. I doubt Poirier even expected that much but to seemingly offer nothing and use it just for positive PR is scummy, similar to when Fury claimed he donated his whole purse for one of the Wilder fights and people lapped it up. The problem is people take it as gospel and you get the positive spin without doing anything (people still say Fury donated the money to this day!)

I find it mad how celebrities/athletes etc get such a staunch cult that people literally can't hear a bad word against them or criticise anything they do wrong it's really weird and McGregor has one of the most defensive of the lot.

Oggmonster

Selling wolf tickets.
The hillbilly/rematch is off stuff is to an extent, equally I think some of it is McGregor has been made to look like a dick so is resorting to type to get a few laughs off his die hard fans (who will definitely lap it up.) I'd imagine the non donation is 100% real though, there's no way Poirier would say it if it's not true/McGregor wouldn't deny it just to sell tickets to a fight which already sells itself.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Anyone following the Poirier/McGregor drama? Poirier said McGregor never followed through on the promised $500,000 donation to his charity. McGregor has taken it with his usual grace...

:lol:
Conor speaking like the true plumber he is.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The hillbilly/rematch is off stuff is to an extent, equally I think some of it is McGregor has been made to look like a dick so is resorting to type to get a few laughs off his die hard fans (who will definitely lap it up.) I'd imagine the non donation is 100% real though, there's no way Poirier would say it if it's not true/McGregor wouldn't deny it just to sell tickets to a fight which already sells itself.
It was flagged before now that McGregor would be returning to his old bad guy persona for this fight and now this controversy just happens to turn up right on time to allow him to do so.....

Even the assumption that Poirier would be scrupulously honest about the donation (when he knows this hype will certainly see more money get raised for that charity) seems overly trusting to me. These are professional fighters, they trade in lies, half-truths and exaggerations in the build up to pretty much every fight and Poirier isn't exempt from that either. Being a nice guy doesn't mean he's stupid, or isn't happy to play the game to promote a fight. It's not like there are any negative consequences to this whatsoever, it's all just words generating income.

Maybe you're more naive than I am or maybe I'm overly cynical but I'm not buying any of this, at all. It just looks like a performative argument to generate fake bad blood, allowing them to hype a fight that (in a previous iteration) people complained had too friendly a build-up.

Last edited:

Oggmonster

It was flagged before now that McGregor would be returning to his old bad guy persona for this fight and now this controversy just happens to turn up right on time to allow him to do so.....

Even the assumption that Poirier would be scrupulously honest about the donation (when he knows this hype will certainly see more money get raised for that charity) seems overly trusting to me. These are professional fighters, they trade in lies, half-truths and exaggerations in the build up to pretty much every fight and Poirier isn't exempt from that either. Being a nice guy doesn't mean he's stupid, or isn't happy to play the game to promote a fight. It's not like there are any negative consequences to this whatsoever, it's all just words generating income.

Maybe you're more naive than I am or maybe I'm overly cynical but I'm not buying any of this, at all. It just looks like a performative argument to generate fake bad blood, allowing them to hype a fight that (in a previous iteration) people complained had too friendly a build-up.
I think most stuff is hype, I've said the same with the majority of fights in threads like this in the past, I think the talk is usually exactly that...for example the hill billy shite and all that. The point I'm making is I can't see many people (if anyone) being willing for someone to basically say they lied about a charity donation for kids it's a pretty scummy look for someone to willingly give themselves to sell a fight, especially one that doesn't actually need selling that much! The negative consequences are it really doesn't look great for their image.

I hope I'm not naive but yeah you never know, they could be laughing their bollocks off to each other for all we know it's a weird sport!

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Seeing McGregor go from likeable rogue to full on scrote has been a journey. Him not following through on the donation and then gettinf called out about it sums him up as a person in every sense.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
If this is true then McGregor is a bigger scum than I thought possible.

If it's fake, then there both utter cnuts.

But judging on what we know about the two men, it's likely that McGregor hasn't paid and Poirier probably isn't making things up.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
To not follow through on a promised charity donation is extremely scummy and I'm shocked that even someone like him would do such a thing.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Oh dear. Predictably Conor’s stans are lapping it up.

feck I hate Conor and I hate his fans.

Man’s a fecking scumbag. How on earth could anyone have any ounce of respect after this?

And judging by those tweets — he’s definitely back on the llello again.

bsCallout

I've no doubt Conor will make his donation. Probably make a show of it now too.

They're both rightly using this to fuel the next fight. Conor needs to have that 'beef' it seems.

bsCallout

Oh dear. Predictably Conor’s stans are lapping it up.

feck I hate Conor and I hate his fans.

Man’s a fecking scumbag. How on earth could anyone have any ounce of respect after this?

And judging by those tweets — he’s definitely back on the llello again.
Woosah!

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts

Totally agree with you

I would bet this fight is still happening, along the donation

Oggmonster

Totally agree with you

I would bet this fight is still happening, along the donation
Surely it just looks bad now though? If he donates it looks like he's done it through the pressure of being called out as a scumbag.

What's strange is people are obsessed about not being "fooled" and will be adamant that it is all selling a fight. Most people in the thread know trash talk etc is usually bollocks we've see it a million times. Equally you can get people who are scummy and called out for that to which is seemingly the case here. Everyone who thinks it is fake or whatever still hasn't explained what McGregor gains from it? He looks a dick for not donating to charity, to hype a fight that was already going to be huge anyway? It seems a bit of a stretch, same as any time he makes a dick of himself people are convinced he's on a coke binge, people can be dicks without cocaine...although that obviously does encourage it.

Ladron de redcafe

Surely it just looks bad now though? If he donates it looks like he's done it through the pressure of being called out as a scumbag.

What's strange is people are obsessed about not being "fooled" and will be adamant that it is all selling a fight. Most people in the thread know trash talk etc is usually bollocks we've see it a million times. Equally you can get people who are scummy and called out for that to which is seemingly the case here. Everyone who thinks it is fake or whatever still hasn't explained what McGregor gains from it? He looks a dick for not donating to charity, to hype a fight that was already going to be huge anyway? It seems a bit of a stretch, same as any time he makes a dick of himself people are convinced he's on a coke binge, people can be dicks without cocaine...although that obviously does encourage it.
I would say that it could be part of a ploy to increase interest in a 3rd fight that hasn't garnered much interest, but I see your point when you point out that McGregor comes out looking extremely bad and Poirier wouldn't lie about his charity to sell a fight.

I'm not really sure what to think. We'll find out sooner or later. I think the fight will go ahead in any case.

Oggmonster

I would say that it could be part of a ploy to increase interest in a 3rd fight that hasn't garnered much interest, but I see your point when you point out that McGregor comes out looking extremely bad and Poirier wouldn't lie about his charity to sell a fight.

I'm not really sure what to think. We'll find out sooner or later. I think the fight will go ahead in any case.
Yeah I agree with the sentiment of it just can't see anyone in their right mind being willing to let the whole world think you're a dick for promising a charity half a million quid then not donate it. Especially McGregor who is slightly better than most in getting interest from his fans...in all honesty I think this is his last shot in MMA at these kind of huge superfights, the interest will soon go if he loses again especially if he gets KOed again.

Definitely think the fight will go ahead yeah we#ve heard it all before with McGregor, I honestly find it mad how people lap it up still. Someone on my Instagram loves him and shares every post he makes, this is a bloke in his 30s it's slightly weird actually.

Which of the 2 YouTube brothers is calling him out? I wouldn't be surprised if he loses to Poirier that he fights them to be honest.

Ladron de redcafe

Yeah I agree with the sentiment of it just can't see anyone in their right mind being willing to let the whole world think you're a dick for promising a charity half a million quid then not donate it. Especially McGregor who is slightly better than most in getting interest from his fans...in all honesty I think this is his last shot in MMA at these kind of huge superfights, the interest will soon go if he loses again especially if he gets KOed again.

Definitely think the fight will go ahead yeah we#ve heard it all before with McGregor, I honestly find it mad how people lap it up still. Someone on my Instagram loves him and shares every post he makes, this is a bloke in his 30s it's slightly weird actually.

Which of the 2 YouTube brothers is calling him out? I wouldn't be surprised if he loses to Poirier that he fights them to be honest.
The blonde boxing brothers? I'm not sure which of the two is the well-known one (or are both famous?), but one of them (Logan) just made an appearance at Wrestlemania and didn't exactly get a celebrity pop, while the other - Jake - had some very tepid responses during the buildup to his fight with Ben Askren.

Maybe I'm wrong and perhaps there would be interest in a fight with one of them, but from what I have seen, these aren't nearly popular enough for an established UFC main event draw to call them out.

Oggmonster

The blonde boxing brothers? I'm not sure which of the two is the well-known one (or are both famous?), but one of them (Logan) just made an appearance at Wrestlemania and didn't exactly get a celebrity pop, while the other - Jake - had some very tepid responses during the buildup to his fight with Ben Askren.

Maybe I'm wrong and perhaps there would be interest in a fight with one of them, but from what I have seen, these aren't nearly popular enough for an established UFC main event draw to call them out.
Yeah it's the one fighting Askren cos the other one was fighting Mayweather.

I'm not sure on their popularity at all to be honest mate wouldn't even have a clue what kind of videos etc they do. I think McGregor just goes where the money is and except Pacquiao (who would really kill his boxing "career") there doesn't seem many massive fights in boxing he could take in terms of name.

rotherham_red

It was such a ridiculous thing to do to offer a donation, especially 500k which is a hell of a lot of money. I doubt Poirier even expected that much but to seemingly offer nothing and use it just for positive PR is scummy, similar to when Fury claimed he donated his whole purse for one of the Wilder fights and people lapped it up. The problem is people take it as gospel and you get the positive spin without doing anything (people still say Fury donated the money to this day!)

I find it mad how celebrities/athletes etc get such a staunch cult that people literally can't hear a bad word against them or criticise anything they do wrong it's really weird and McGregor has one of the most defensive of the lot.
Wait, Fury didn't? :annoyed:

kidbob

Should be a good main event. As with all Rob fights I've a bad feeling he's going to knocked out. Hopefully he proves me wrong again. Hopefully Malkoum has improved his striking defence and general nerves and gets a chance to show us what he has. Jeremy Stephens always strikes me as being an absolute dickhead.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Should be a good main event. As with all Rob fights I've a bad feeling he's going to knocked out. Hopefully he proves me wrong again. Hopefully Malkoum has improved his striking defence and general nerves and gets a chance to show us what he has. Jeremy Stephens always strikes me as being an absolute dickhead.
He pushed Klose so hard that Klose came out of his sandals :lol:

Hopefully he gets sparked.