The MMA thread

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Conor was high on adrenalin and what not for that post fight interview, borderline delirium. Really embarrassing from the UFC to kept him there like that instead of taking him to get medical treatment right away.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Is it though? Thats a massive leap and thats after Dustin mocked Conor as he lay there with his leg snapped and the wife flipping him off. Dustin was slagging him before Conor got on the mic, it all adds up in Mcgregors mind. Both were as classless as each other imo.
Conor just got up off the ground before the round was over without being stood up and would have thought he was back in it, then he snaps his leg and his career is in doubt seconds later
Theres no way in hell that interview should have happened anyway, too much weight is put behind an athletes darkest moment just because we don't like Mcgregor. The entire post match was a shit show from all sides.
Edit i mean its basically a no contest and Dustin is bringing his family in with his rival is waiting to get moved with a snapped leg. Its surreal. Its up there with Wiedman v Silva imo
Absolutely not. I struggle to see how you could even think that.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Same. McGregor was also holding Poirier glove and trying to cheat (I think he did something similar against Khabib). He was mouthing off before Poirier said anything to him (post fight).

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Can you think of any other precedent where a top UFC fighter repeatedly threatened to kill an opponent, called his wife a whore, threaten to have him carried out on a stretcher etc ? I can't. Conor has to grow up and start behaving like a man and perhaps start doing his talking with his fists in the Octagon instead of behaving like an unhinged rodeo clown. People may then feel a bit more sympathy towards him.
By the time he's fit again it will be over 5 years since he won against a high level opponent (I.e. discounting his cowboy comeback fight)... frankly besides shooting his mouth off and talking up the fight before the event he really does not bring much else right now...

I'm sure the ufc will give him the chance to mouth off and sell a couple more ppv before he goes off to fight a youtuber or two

AgentSmith

It’s a bizarre take because it ignores the mountain of shithousery McGregor was spouting in the build up to the fight.

There was a brief moment where Poirier did the billionaire walk and mouthed off to McGregor immediately after the stoppage that was unnecessary but can you blame the man?

Conor had told Dustin he was going to kill him and leave him in a coffin while continuously insulting his wife. A little emotional outburst driven by adrenaline after you’ve then beaten that man is understandable. Dustin even collected himself mid-interview and wished Conor a safe recovery with ‘his beautiful family’.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
No one wished that kind of injury to Conor though, most people just showed no sympathy or felt sorry as the fight couldn't continue which is a different case from wishing someone an actual injury.

Doing the interview with him there was certainly wrong considering his condition and him being out of his mind. However, with him further acting like an absolute dickhead it is hard to be sympathetic even in that case.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
As I said, Dana kinda confirmed the future rematch after the title fight.

Guess Conor will have to take some months off to fully rehab. Can't see him fighting anyone else apart from Nate Diaz for another money fight.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
As I said, Dana kinda confirmed the future rematch after the title fight.

Guess Conor will have to take some months off to fully rehab. Can't see him fighting anyone else apart from Nate Diaz for another money fight.
He's placating Conor imo. The post fight presser sounded like he was leaving the door open to a 4th fight without actually committing to it. We don't know the severity of Conor's injury and who wins Dustin v Charles. If Dustin, then I can't see them giving Conor a chance at the belt given that he would've only have one win in 5 years. It would be a massive slap in the face to the rest of the top contenders in the division.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
McGregor is a scumbag. His trash talk is well beyond what's acceptable.

He's a busted flush even before his injury.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
  • Fight of the Night: Sean O’Malley vs. Kris Moutinho
  • Performance of the Night: Tai Tuivasa
  • Performance of the Night: Driscus Du Plessis

I'm glad Moutinho will get 75k for enduring that life changing beatdown.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
He's placating Conor imo. The post fight presser sounded like he was leaving the door open to a 4th fight without actually committing to it. We don't know the severity of Conor's injury and who wins Dustin v Charles. If Dustin, then I can't see them giving Conor a chance at the belt given that he would've only have one win in 5 years. It would be a massive slap in the face to the rest of the top contenders in the division.
For the record I'm not really advocating for the rematch. The truth is that Conor kinda holds Dana by the balls in the matchmaking and all fighters want to be on his card. And for fighters, especially the top 5 in LW, he is a winnable fight that makes them the most money. There's a reason Dustin said yes to the rematch before leaving the arena in Abu Dhabi.

Unless Dana stops being so cheap and start promoting his other fighters and champs, Conor will stay being the main fight for every fighter and an automatic yes.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
One was mocking a leg break, other talking about instagram DMs?
One insulted him and his family multiple times before the fight. Said he was going to kill and maim him before the fight even though Conor has had a teammate pass away due to injuries sustained in a fight. The other gave him a bit of shit after beating him up and with the other guy still talking shit while injured in the cage. If the mocking the injury thing is so bad it outweighs everything Conor and Dustin said or did leading up to and after the fight then it shows your own bias tbh.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It’s a bizarre take because it ignores the mountain of shithousery McGregor was spouting in the build up to the fight.

There was a brief moment where Poirier did the billionaire walk and mouthed off to McGregor immediately after the stoppage that was unnecessary but can you blame the man?

Conor had told Dustin he was going to kill him and leave him in a coffin while continuously insulting his wife. A little emotional outburst driven by adrenaline after you’ve then beaten that man is understandable. Dustin even collected himself mid-interview and wished Conor a safe recovery with ‘his beautiful family’.
Agreed. Dustin was as classy as can be. Even Khabib who most think of as a classy guy couldn't take Mcgregors insults as well.

Luke1995

In MMA, the fall from grace usually is brutal

GSP and Khabib are truly an anomaly. Perhaps Jon Jones will join them.

But Mcgregor never developed any wrestling or good submission game. It's almost like he had to knock people out for his own pride. At the top level that doesn't work for long...unless it's a heavyweight like Ngannou.

As for what's next, I have no doubt that Conor will come back and fight Poirier again. I think he fights twice or three more times yet. But 2023 could be the end. Can't see him going much further than that.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
In MMA, the fall from grace usually is brutal

GSP and Khabib are truly an anomaly. Perhaps Jon Jones will join them.

But Mcgregor never developed any wrestling or good submission game. It's almost like he had to knock people out for his own pride. At the top level that doesn't work for long...unless it's a heavyweight like Ngannou.

As for what's next, I have no doubt that Conor will come back and fight Poirier again. I think he fights twice or three more times yet. But 2023 could be the end. Can't see him going much further than that.
McGregor gameplan has always been to KO the opponent with his left. It worked at FW. He was like Ngannou there.

Then he moved to LW, where he didn't hold that size/power advantage and this gameplan quickly became obsolete.

At this point, most fighters would change something up. But McGregor is too egotistical to do that, he just attempts the same gameplan over and over hoping for better results.

Some may say he's insane in that respect.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
McGregor deserved all that shit Poirier and his wife gave him after his leg break. feck him.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
McGregor gameplan has always been to KO the opponent with his left. It worked at FW. He was like Ngannou there.

Then he moved to LW, where he didn't hold that size/power advantage and this gameplan quickly became obsolete.

At this point, most fighters would change something up. But McGregor is too egotistical to do that, he just attempts the same gameplan over and over hoping for better results.

The leg break masked the fact Dustin was thoroughly on top. When Dustin was on top and teeing off with the GnP, it reminded me of Khabib on Conor. I’m sure there was more to come in the next few rounds, especially considering Conor’s strongest rounds are the early ones before he fades.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This week I have been wondering if it is how he acts in real life. It's an easy way to get in serious trouble if you hang around the wrong kind of people.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This week I have been wondering if it is how he acts in real life. It's an easy way to get in serious trouble if you hang around the wrong kind of people.
Oh he is definitely hanging around with the wrong people. You can chart his decline to the amount of time he’s spent hanging round with some of Dublin’s nastiest gangsters.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Oh he is definitely hanging around with the wrong people. You can chart his decline to the amount of time he’s spent hanging round with some of Dublin’s nastiest gangsters.
That's what I thought but does he realize that it's dangerous to be around that kind of people and not have the ability to shut up?

Luke1995

Yeah. If it was healthy enough to do so, he should commit to a full move back to 145. But it's probably healthier to stay at 155. Weight cuts are a very serious matter.

Anyway, he may recover earlier than expected. I remember he had ACL tear in 2013 but less than a full year later he was back.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I'm glad that Conor lost, though would have preferred to see him be knocked out, as the way it ended puts a bit of a cloud over things. I can see him attempting to fight again, but also see him slowly drop away in relevance at the top level.

Risk I see for him, is right now he can still draw purely with his name. However the longer he keeps going the less people will care about him. The best way forward for him is to focus more on money spinning fights like the Mayweather style and leave the UFC title picture to others.

Ladron de redcafe

Credit to Conor he did what he could from the ground there. Shame.
It was beautiful watching Dustin rain elbows and emasculating him after all of Conor's trashy talk about Dustin's wife.

Way to finish off the trilogy. A 10-8 round against a Conor who was covering up and trying to hang on for dear life.

poleglass red

It was beautiful watching Dustin rain elbows and emasculating him after all of Conor's trashy talk about Dustin's wife.

Way to finish off the trilogy. A 10-8 round against a Conor who was covering up and trying to hang on for dear life.
I actually thought he did okay from the ground, he caught Dustin with some elbows himself and upkicks. Dustin caught him with some nice elbows as well. It was shaping up nicely, Conor caught him early with nice kicks and a nice left at one point, went for the choke and got taken down himself. I still think Dustin would have won the fight but you could tell Conor worked on his all around game as opposed to last fight where it looked like all he did was focus on his boxing.At the very end of the round he was hanging on, but in hindsight he had a broken leg.Good luck to Dustin, always like his fights.

Ladron de redcafe

I actually thought he did okay from the ground, he caught Dustin with some elbows himself and upkicks. Dustin caught him with some nice elbows as well. It was shaping up nicely, Conor caught him early with nice kicks and a nice left at one point, went for the choke and got taken down himself. I still think Dustin would have won the fight but you could tell Conor worked on his all around game as opposed to last fight where it looked like all he did was focus on his boxing.At the very end of the round he was hanging on, but in hindsight he had a broken leg.Good luck to Dustin, always like his fights.
It was a 10-8 round for a reason. Dustin was unleashing while Conor was covering up and waiting for the round to end. The guillotine attempt itself was an act of desperation after Dustin rocked him in the standup and Conor - staggering around the ring, struggling to stay upright - immediately clinched, because he was gassing and was getting lit up.

He then jumped a guillotine against a much better grappler, while Dustin saw it for what it was (an act of desperation) and made sure he disarmed Conor's left arm and waited for Conor to blow his arm. When that didn't work for Conor, Dustin got up and spent the next 3 minutes raining elbows and punches against a man who was trying to survive.

I'm not entirely sure which part of that fight indicates that Conor worked on his all around game (other then kicking more than he did in the previous fight, which Dustin predicted before the fight and decided to check the kicks).

This was a demolition, and given that Conor was already done and hanging on by the end of the round, I can't imagine him having even a remote chance had the fight continued. If anything Dustin might be lamenting the fact that he was robbed of the inevitable knockout.

poleglass red

It was a 10-8 round for a reason. Dustin was unleashing while Conor was covering up and waiting for the round to end. The guillotine attempt itself was an act of desperation after Dustin rocked him in the standup and Conor - staggering around the ring, struggling to stay upright - immediately clinched, because he was gassing and was getting lit up.

He then jumped a guillotine against a much better grappler, while Dustin saw it for what it was (an act of desperation) and made sure he disarmed Conor's left arm and waited for Conor to blow his arm. When that didn't work for Conor, Dustin got up and spent the next 3 minutes raining elbows and punches against a man who was trying to survive.

I'm not entirely sure which part of that fight indicates that Conor worked on his all around game (other then kicking more than he did in the previous fight, which Dustin predicted before the fight and decided to check the kicks).

This was a demolition, and given that Conor was already done and hanging on by the end of the round, I can't imagine him having even a remote chance had the fight continued. If anything Dustin might be lamenting the fact that he was robbed of the inevitable knockout.
His leg was broke.
he was on his back of course he was trying to survive, but he landed enough decent elbows to make it somewhat competitive
the fact he started the fight attacking the leg, the fact he tried the choke albeit in hindsight a mistake, in comparison with first fight where he basically treated as boxing fight
Yes agree on 4th point, Dustin should have finished him of, especially in lieu of him being unable to stand due to broken leg.

Dustin would have won the fight, I said that in my 1st post. I wouldn't have given it 10-8. Dustin definitely won it, but I think Conor did enough for it to be 10-9 for Dustin. Dustin has Conor's number now, I would have liked to see a 2nd round, as I'm sure McGregor's corner would have told to him to keep it standing as he was having some joy with kicks. Dustin caught corner with a good combo, but Conor caught him with some nice lefts, one in particular that hurt Dustin. I think it could have been somewhat competitive, I would have liked to seen more rounds esp for the crowd in attendance.

shabz

Mcgregor has a mental illness I think. Genius into lunacy. He ran the game 2014-2016, but the game has passed him now.

Ladron de redcafe

His leg was broke.
he was on his back of course he was trying to survive, but he landed enough decent elbows to make it somewhat competitive
the fact he started the fight attacking the leg, the fact he tried the choke albeit in hindsight a mistake, in comparison with first fight where he basically treated as boxing fight
Yes agree on 4th point, Dustin should have finished him of, especially in lieu of him being unable to stand due to broken leg.

Dustin would have won the fight, I said that in my 1st post. I wouldn't have given it 10-8. Dustin definitely won it, but I think Conor did enough for it to be 10-9 for Dustin. Dustin has Conor's number now, I would have liked to see a 2nd round, as I'm sure McGregor's corner would have told to him to keep it standing as he was having some joy with kicks. Dustin caught corner with a good combo, but Conor caught him with some nice lefts, one in particular that hurt Dustin. I think it could have been somewhat competitive, I would have liked to seen more rounds esp for the crowd in attendance.
His leg broke because Dustin checked his kick, after predicting that Conor would come out kicking.

I don't see it the same way in terms of competitiveness. If that wasn't a 10-8 round, I'm not sure what is. Dustin layed on top of him for 3 of the 5 minutes, destroying him with elbows while Conor clung on, trying to survive. I understand that Conor's foot was compromised (because the better fighter, Dustin, checked his foot) but that doesn't really negate the fact that Dustin dominated him. A few elbows from the bottom aren't going to stop what was otherwise a massacre from being a 10-8.

I would have also loved to see a few rounds, as would the crowd. The question is how those rounds would have unfolded. Even had his foot not buckled, he was done. Conor's best chance is always the first round. The fact that he was on the receiving end of that type of beating in what should have been his best round doesn't bode well for his chances moving forward, had the fight continued.

Ladron de redcafe

Just saw this. He really is a proper cnut.
I'm not sure what to make of this type of behaviour. I can only think of two possible explanations:

1- Narcissism: Any blow to a narcissist's ego sees the narcissist in question lash out. An example in football might be Jose Mourinho. On this case, Dustin humiliating him on a worldwide stage, denting his legacy in the process could have resulted in the perplexing level of anger, vitriol, and hatred that Conor seems to have towards Dustin.

2- Showmanship: Perhaps he isn't mentally unstable, but is choosing to engage in some pretty unstable behaviour because he thinks that rant at the end could set up a 4th fight. Or perhaps he tried to antagonize Dustin to set up a brawl that would dominate the next day's headlines instead of Dustin's performance.

In my opinion, there are lines that shouldn't be crossed and the latter shouldn't be invoked as a defense when people rightfully call someone like him the pejorative you just did. He's a clown. And I'm glad there has been backlash to his actions because this type of behaviour should not be normalized, moving forward.