The MMA thread

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
For those in England, what is your take on Paddy the Baddy? I want to hate him (Liverpool loudmouth and all) but I also really enjoy his fights. Wasn't sure what others thought.
Not in the UK, but i am not a huge fan of his hair, tbh!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
For those in England, what is your take on Paddy the Baddy? I want to hate him (Liverpool loudmouth and all) but I also really enjoy his fights. Wasn't sure what others thought.
He's a *really* bad knockout waiting to happen if he keeps fighting with his chin in the air and no head movement.

His hype doesn't seem at all justified from the one fight I've seen. Perhaps it was nerves, but if that's his usual self, he'll be a meme soon enough.

His get-up and appearance will make him a fortune if he's successful, though. Whatever you think of him, he captures attention.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
He's a *really* bad knockout waiting to happen if he keeps fighting with his chin in the air and no head movement.

His hype doesn't seem at all justified from the one fight I've seen. Perhaps it was nerves, but if that's his usual self, he'll be a meme soon enough.

His get-up and appearance will make him a fortune if he's successful, though. Whatever you think of him, he captures attention.
He will have a nice little run until he comes across the bigger names and then will be one of those guys that gets beat a lot but always near a title shot because of character. Basically a lighter Darren Till.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He will have a nice little run until he comes across the bigger names and then will be one of those guys that gets beat a lot but always near a title shot because of character. Basically a lighter Darren Till.
I think Dana will keep him away from big hitters for as long as he can, unless he wants to burn the battery fast and hard. Logically, he's a cash cow so you try and build a brand with him and then get going with fights that can go either way, and if that blueprint is followed, a bunch of grapplers and average strikers will be lined up for him to look good against whilst running his mouth to set up the big fights further down the road.

I don't know what his capacity for learning is like - perhaps he learns to tuck his chin and move his head by the time those fights come round, but who knows?

UFC need some new names and fresh blood, so if he has the aptitude to develop, he's got some serious coin coming his way over the next few years.

Andersons Dietician

Did say I think Dern would struggle once she came up against good strikers and that was one of the best strikers in the division but feck me that 2nd round lvl of Jits was incredible. She is the best in the UFC on the ground no doubt in my mind. The things she was doing are levels above even the people we think are good Jits people.

She for sure needs to work on getting in to positions and better takedown technique. It’s weird that ok she boxes in but she rarely goes for the hips when she is inside. Feel like that is something she needs to work on but the progress she has made over the last few fights is already incredible.

RedFish

Did say I think Dern would struggle once she came up against good strikers and that was one of the best strikers in the division but feck me that 2nd round lvl of Jits was incredible. She is the best in the UFC on the ground no doubt in my mind. The things she was doing are levels above even the people we think are good Jits people.

She for sure needs to work on getting in to positions and better takedown technique. It’s weird that ok she boxes in but she rarely goes for the hips when she is inside. Feel like that is something she needs to work on but the progress she has made over the last few fights is already incredible.
As good as she was (Dern) on the ground in that 2nd round she was never close to getting the submission.

Rodriguez strikes with bad intentions, has the most beautiful and sesthetically pleasing oblique and front snap kicks in Women's MMA, feck it arguably in all of MMA. She has the length, speed and snap in these kicks in particular to keep her opponents at range.

All in all, formidable weapons I have not seen used as effectively since Jon Jones. No exaggeration. That she has soke way to go in terms of growth, she is a massive problem at 115

Edit:
Didn't realise she was 34 FFS. Still, I love to see her fight and excited to see what she can do at the sharp end of 115 in the next few fights....

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

As good as she was (Dern) on the ground in that 2nd round she was never close to getting the submission.
She had multiple positions, I was surprised she didn’t go for an armbar at one point as it was there, sure she has her reasons but to be honest it looks like she was searching for a different kind of submission because the opportunity was there to go for that arm.

If she had longer that Omoplata she had her in at the end was on.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I don't believe that for a second. All his wife would have to do is push him and he'd get knocked out cold.

But seriously, that's horrible.
So Liddell has made a post claiming that he was actually the victim and that he chose to go to jail in his wife's place...

I have to admit I was quick to assume his guilt when I read the original story, this turn of events is very unexpected if true.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
So Liddell has made a post claiming that he was actually the victim and that he chose to go to jail in his wife's place...

I have to admit I was quick to assume his guilt when I read the original story, this turn of events is very unexpected if true.
Yeah just read that. Now the first part of post makes more sense.

redom

I see there's another Brit in the UFC after Dana gave Jake Hadley a contract after his fight on the Contender Series. Seems a bit controversial though with him missing weight and rubbing some of the UFC staff up the wrong way during fight week with Dana admitting he's broken his own rules in offering him the deal so he must see something in him. Anyone seen him fight and know if he's a serious talent?

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Luke1995

Could Jones or Mcgregor do something really bad to the extent that it kinda forces the UFC to cut them ?

These two have shown a truly massive lack of risk management in outside the cage situations. Hope they don't end up seriously hurting someone.

Conor specially, seems out of control.

Ladron de redcafe

Could Jones or Mcgregor do something really bad to the extent that it kinda forces the UFC to cut them ?

These two have shown a truly massive lack of risk management in outside the cage situations. Hope they don't end up seriously hurting someone.

I think that Dana's response was very telling when he was asked about cutting Jones. He seemed to get defensive and dismissed the suggestion while repeatedly saying "let's see how this plays out legally, okay?"

Conor is the biggest draw they have, and as much as I agree that he's out of control, the UFC has morphed into a WWE-esque type of promotion and a lot more rope is given to the top guys (you could argue that there are similar examples in major sports.) Given that Conor was not cut when he assaulted an old man, I'm not sure Dana White is inclined to cut him for punching a DJ who looks around Conor's age.

Will things spiral out of control? Perhaps your right; these two can't seem to stay out of the spotlight these days, and it's one negative incident followed by another.

poleglass red

Historically though combat sports doesn't really punish the top earners for crimes outside the ring. You only have to look at boxing, re Tyson and Mayweather, both fought post jail. I think of the 2, they could make a statement with Conor. He's done as the top level, whereas Jones is going for the HW title. Problem with Conor is a fight against Diaz for example would draw massive numbers yet both fighters on losing streaks. To answer your question, I don't think they will cut either. I don't know what they do behind the scenes for the mental state of their fighters but both Jones and McGregor need professional help.

Luke1995

UFC could punish them by not offering them title fights. Make them fight ranked contenders but never grant them that opportunity. That would piss them off.

Don't think it would hurt the UFC's pockets as they have that ESPN deal, but they certainly can make more money with these two in title fights...

Luke1995

Could MMA one day become a sport played in universities around the world ?

U.S and UK universities have a history of giving scholarships to the guys who played basketball baseball or american football in highschool.

Some people often dream about having MMA as an olympic sport but I was thinking that if it were to be legalized as a college sport, it could help more young people and make the sport even bigger.

Anyone has a take on this ?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Vettori probably wins due to the point taken from Costa for the eye poke.
Thought it was fair to take a point, he was warned several times before he did it.

Great fight, Costa looked kinda gassed already in first, but he kept throwing bombs... Wonder how Vettori survived those!