The MMA thread

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I agree, but because they are now Draw-1-1 against each other, they have to break the tie. They fecked up after Moreno won the belt.
Wasn't this the 3rd fight?
I haven't watched all, did they draw one then?

justboy68

Interesting to see Ngannou successful with his wrestling. Could go eirther way but I think 3-2 Francis.

There won't be a better chance to beat Ngannou than that. Clearly bothered by injuries but pulled it out with strength and determination in his wrestling. Not pretty but sometimes you just have to get the job done.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
When you remember the way he mentally switched off against Stipe and then had the issues in his next fight, 2-0 down and facing someone quicker and more technical, that was some impressive adjustments under pressure to win that fight. Well done Francis.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Yeah, impressive. Never in my life I thought he was gonna won with his grappling, and looking good at it.

Makes sense he did his MCL because his usual explosion on the feet was not there since the beginning.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fair play to Francis. Showed a completely unexpected improvement with the grappling. Given that it wasn't a dominant win, I would imagine a rematch will take place at some point.

Grylte

Interesting to see Ngannou successful with his wrestling. Could go eirther way but I think 3-2 Francis.
From what i've seen in the UFC, if it's a title fight, it usually go in favour of the champion if it's even and could go either way.
I don't mind that, really, you should beat the champion to get the belt, if it's in the "could go either way" territory, the belt should stay where it was.

Grylte

takedown means 3-2 gane unfortunately
Mwahaha Grylte 1 NM 0! :)
I just guessed, obviously, just like in football i can't sit and watch something and pay attention to every detail, i play games on one screen and have a series, football, mma, etc. on the other, i pretty much just picked Ngannu randomly :lol:

For some reason i never liked Ngannu, i have no idea why, i often pick favourites and who i don't like for strange reasons, BUT i must admit i agree with a tweet i saw posted on r/UFC.
Don't remember it word for word, but it said something along the lines of "during the promotion of this fight/event Gane was built up to look like the champion/clear favourite", you could also see that in the odds, i think Gane was the favourite in this fight. Gane has like 10 fights in the UFC, while Ngannu has been champion for a while. I feel that was veru disrespectful to Ngannu.
I was a bit conflicted because i couldn't remember why i didn't like him, but that's the reason i was hoping Ngannu would win.

George Owen

From what i've seen in the UFC, if it's a title fight, it usually go in favour of the champion if it's even and could go either way.
I don't mind that, really, you should beat the champion to get the belt, if it's in the "could go either way" territory, the belt should stay where it was.
Agree with this principle.

In this case though, I thought it was pretty clear for Ngannou.

Fair play to Francis. Showed a completely unexpected improvement with the grappling. Given that it wasn't a dominant win, I would imagine a rematch will take place at some point.

Hopefully Dana pays Jones the money he wants to fight Ngannou, otherwise, the latter will feck off to boxing and that would be boring. I like this Ngannou grappler.

Ladron de redcafe

Surprisingly good grappling by Francis? Who would have thought he'd win by turning to his grappling?

At the same time, I agree that this wasn't particularly in quality. Watching these two in there, I couldn't help but think to myself how limited both are compared to some of the previous generation's heavyweights (Velasquez, Fedor, Noguiera etc)

Grylte

Hopefully Dana pays Jones the money he wants to fight Ngannou, otherwise, the latter will feck off to boxing and that would be boring. I like this Ngannou grappler.
I have no clue about this American weight thing, i know kilos, but how big difference is it on Ngannu/Gane and Jones in the class he usually fights in?
I used to like Jones, even if he was a dick, but i have a feeling he would be destroyed by both of these guys, even if he was in his prime now. The last few times i have seen Jones fight, he looked like a much weaker version of what he was.,
Again, i have never fought and have no clue about fighting, i just like to watch the sport and have opinions/thoughts about it.

Ladron de redcafe

I have no clue about this American weight thing, i know kilos, but how big difference is it on Ngannu/Gane and Jones in the class he usually fights in?
I used to like Jones, even if he was a dick, but i have a feeling he would be destroyed by both of these guys, even if he was in his prime now. The last few times i have seen Jones fight, he looked like a much weaker version of what he was.,
Again, i have never fought and have no clue about fighting, i just like to watch the sport and have opinions/thoughts about it.
On commentary, Cormier was suggesting that Ngannou might be 270 lbs. Gane weighed in at around 250 two days ago and there's very little chance he was lighter than that today, so there's a maximum of a 20 lb difference (~ 10 kgs) but that's significant.

Grylte

On commentary, Cormier was suggesting that Ngannou might be 270 lbs. Gane weighed in at around 250 two days ago and there's very little chance he was lighter than that today, so there's a maximum of a 20 lb difference (~ 10 kgs) but that's significant.
Between Ngannu and Gane, or Jones? I meant to ask the difference between these 2 vs Jones in size/weight.

George Owen

Jones used to fight at 205lbs and this big guys fight at a maximum of 265lbs. A lb is like half kilo.

But now Jones is bulking up to go challenge the heavyweights, supposedly. He priced himself out from a potential fight with Ngannou already, but now there is nothing more for both of them but to fight each other. I doubt Stipe wants any more of that.

I think Ngannou lands one kick and Jones's chicken legs would snap. But still would be fun, and Francis would make big money.

Charlie Foley

John typically fought at 205lb. Light heavyweight. That’s 93kg.
Heavyweight goes up to 265. 120kg

Jones is much bigger than 93kg now though

Ladron de redcafe

Between Ngannu and Gane, or Jones? I meant to ask the difference between these 2 vs Jones in size/weight.
Sorry, I misunderstood. Jones has bulked up over the past year or so as he considers moving to heavyweight, but as Raoul pointed out, he's doesn't exactly cut weight. Even at his heaviest, he'd still be at a 20 lb weight disadvantage. Moreover, it remains to be seen how bulking up and fighting at a weight he isn't comfortable in would affect his cardio, but who knows? As his tweets suggest, he was exactly intimidated by either's display today.

NM

I just guessed, obviously, just like in football i can't sit and watch something and pay attention to every detail, i play games on one screen and have a series, football, mma, etc. on the other, i pretty much just picked Ngannu randomly :lol:

For some reason i never liked Ngannu, i have no idea why, i often pick favourites and who i don't like for strange reasons, BUT i must admit i agree with a tweet i saw posted on r/UFC.
Don't remember it word for word, but it said something along the lines of "during the promotion of this fight/event Gane was built up to look like the champion/clear favourite", you could also see that in the odds, i think Gane was the favourite in this fight. Gane has like 10 fights in the UFC, while Ngannu has been champion for a while. I feel that was veru disrespectful to Ngannu.
I was a bit conflicted because i couldn't remember why i didn't like him, but that's the reason i was hoping Ngannu would win.
I wanted N'gannou to win so im good.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Just watched the fight. Wow! Francis! :lol:

Wrestlemania N'Gannou! :lol::lol:

Chael called it spot on; his gloating will be incessant.

Francis says his knee is fecked so it's impressive he switched everything up to compensate.

Dana will be pissed!

Francis is no boxer, however, despite his machinations to the contrary; he'll get taken apart by any competent heavyweight, let alone Fury who would make him look like a toddler.

But props to Francis; did not see him wrestling his way to victory over 25 minutes! And thoroughly deserved, too, with his comic book leg trap takedown! :lol:

Charlie Foley

Just watched the fight. Wow! Francis! :lol:

Wrestlemania N'Gannou! :lol::lol:

Chael called it spot on; his gloating will be incessant.

Francis says his knee is fecked so it's impressive he switched everything up to compensate.

Dana will be pissed!

Francis is no boxer, however, despite his machinations to the contrary; he'll get taken apart by any competent heavyweight, let alone Fury who would make him look like a toddler.

But props to Francis; did not see him wrestling his way to victory over 25 minutes! And thoroughly deserved, too, with his comic book leg trap takedown! :lol:
I swear I saw a chael video where he said this definitely wouldn’t go to a decision and whoever won would annihilate the other guy

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

To be fair the same was the case when Ngannou fight Stipe the first time. Stipe was the champion but they promoted it like Ngannou was going to just walk in and take the title and that Stipe was some bum they found outside wetherspoons :lol:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I swear I saw a chael video where he said this definitely wouldn’t go to a decision and whoever won would annihilate the other guy
The sheer volume of Chael videos about this fight….I mean hours worth of waffle….it’s impossible for him not to have covered all the bases a few times over

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He made a vid specifically talking about Gane’s wrestling competence and ability not being tested in the slightest and it being a potential vulnerability; with regards to that, he was bang on the money.

He’s since made a silly vid to garner controversy/clicks regarding the outcome, however.

Grylte

Been posted a few times on Reddit, but haven't seen it mentioned here (i might have missed it), Dana didn't put the belt around his waist.

George Owen

Been posted a few times on Reddit, but haven't seen it mentioned here (i might have missed it), Dana didn't put the belt around his waist.
Nor did he attend the post-fight press conference.

Dana is such a coward piece of shit.

The Champ is such a class act. So articulated and serene. I would be disappointed for selfish reasons if he feck off to boxing, but never mad. He deserves so much more.

To be fair the same was the case when Ngannou fight Stipe the first time. Stipe was the champion but they promoted it like Ngannou was going to just walk in and take the title and that Stipe was some bum they found outside wetherspoons :lol:
Francis also mentions Stipe at the press conference. One of the few who acknowledge and gives Stipe the respect he deserves. While the bald feck is a piece of shit human being, using his fighters like replaceable merchandise.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Nor did he attend the post-fight press conference.

Dana is such a coward piece of shit.

The Champ is such a class act. So articulated and serene. I would be disappointed for selfish reasons if he feck off to boxing, but never mad. He deserves so much more.

Francis also mentions Stipe at the press conference. One of the few who acknowledge and gives Stipe the respect he deserves. While the bald feck is a piece of shit human being, using his fighters like replaceable merchandise.
Agree with both statements.

Luke1995

Kay Hansen showed skill to take her opponent down but the size difference was so big that she ended up just being outmuscled to the bottom herself.

Drop down a weight class. Unless she wants to compete against taller and stronger girls.

Michel Pereira appears to be finding the perfect mix between his showsmanship and skill development, but shouldn't he be fighting at a heavier division ?

As for the main event... heavyweight bouts really are either amazing or dull, right ? There's no in-between there...

Feel like Gane would have been the easier matchup for Jones given how Ngannou took him down. I don't think Jon would have as much sucess taking Francis down.

GlasgowCeltic

DC and Rogan damn near ruining fights with their constant "oh my goodness" at this point, will let DC off cause he's DC