The MMA thread

Tarrou

Paddy Pimblett has Naseem level arrogance

well until he got schooled by Barrera

can't wait to see someone spark him

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
There is a champion and his name is Charles Oliviera. Great fight. Dropped twice in that first round but damn what a fight.
I wonder if he went down the 2nd time as a chance to grab a second to recover, knowing that Gaethje wouldn't engage?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nevermind Conor. He's got to fight Islam next. After that, he can claim he's cleaned out the entire division.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I wonder if he went down the 2nd time as a chance to grab a second to recover, knowing that Gaethje wouldn't engage?
That's definitely an advantage he recognizes. Even in the preview video he says when I hit them they are hurt but when I get hit I get knocked down but get back up as if nothing happened . That few seconds of recovery time is probably priceless

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Is there really a more interesting duel in the UFC at the moment than Islam vs. Charles. Just bring these fighters to Abu Dhabi on October 22nd. Let the undisputed champion be determined.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Khabib already making it clear it's a Islam fight. :(
With Khabib putting the pressure on Dana like that, I think Conor is the only one able to sabotage that fight :lol:

But he is too big right now... might grant Kamaru a red panty night and go for that triple Champ status? (And getting mauled in the process)

Last edited:

JP77

Namajunas fight was absolutely terrible, only has herself to blame and I think the styles just didn’t mix well at all. The thing is I would still fancy her against almost everybody in the division, I think it’s just all gone to shit in that fight and that the styles didn’t go together but that’s on her to change mid fight really so she can’t blame anybody else. Such a strange one as if she goes for it I think she definitely beats Carla.

Chandler against McGregor would be an awesome fight. Chandler against anybody at this stage is one hell of a fight, just fireworks every time with him.

Oldyella

Namajunas fight was absolutely terrible, only has herself to blame and I think the styles just didn’t mix well at all. The thing is I would still fancy her against almost everybody in the division, I think it’s just all gone to shit in that fight and that the styles didn’t go together but that’s on her to change mid fight really so she can’t blame anybody else. Such a strange one as if she goes for it I think she definitely beats Carla.

Chandler against McGregor would be an awesome fight. Chandler against anybody at this stage is one hell of a fight, just fireworks every time with him.
Think it's on the coaches. Not sure what the game plan was supposed to be but it looks like She stuck to it even when not working.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Just woke up and watched the main card.
I really prefer watching fights live, even if i don't know any scores, when i have the chance to skip forward in boring parts, i will do that.

The best fights were too short and the boring ones obviously went to the judges, i guess that is normal.
That last fight would have gone into the history books had it lasted 5 rounds, they came prepared ready to fight.
Impressed that Shogun is still going strong at the age of 40, and he could've won that.

It's based on rounds. Rose doesn't automatically win them just because she is champ.
I'm no expert on MMA, and i just watch the events with most good fighters, or atleast most that i know of, but i agree with i heard one of the commentators say once - i don't remember what he said word for word, but how i understood it was something like "The challenger should beat the champion to win the title".
I think it makes sense that if you are to win the belt, you have to clearly win, and if it looks draw'ish, the champion should keep it.

That said, i'm happy Rose lost. From the little i've seen of here, i remember the first times she came across as very charming and nice, lately she's looked very smug to me (not sure if that's the right word for what i mean).
Also she did a "i only won because of god" thing after a fight. I don't mind people being religious, and i know many fighters are, but some of the speeches discredit all the hard work the fighter and their coaches are putting in, so i don't like it.
Don't know her stats, but i can't remember her losing in a while, it's probably good for her so she can be more aggressive and have less boring fights in the future :smirk:

What a fight we missed out on!
Even a casual MMA watcher like me was super hyped for that one.
Both fighters looked unbeatable at the time and had very unique fighting styles.
Strange how Ferguson went from looking unbeatable to "he should retire before someone ends him in there...".

ZupZup

If I was making the fights in the UFC I would have Islam Makhachev fight Dariush this summer to see who gets the shot at at the title.

They are both 3 and 4 I think in the rankings and neither have beaten a top 5 guy. Makes perfect sense.

Poirier v Chandler could be quite a decent and entertaining fight to make if he stays at 155.

SirAnderson

With Khabib putting the pressure on Dana like that, I think Conor is the only one able to sabotage that fight :lol:

But he is too big right now... might grant Kamaru a red panty night and go for that triple Champ status? (And getting mauled in the process)

:lol: yeah.

Weird he'd call out Conor though, wonder if he has some worries about Islam? Clearly that's the fight that makes the most sense, so find it weird he would prefer to call out Conor.

Kamaru going down would be interesting, but yeah I also think Charles wins that. Only problem is if he connects with that power, you see how Charles allows those shots to come in.
Justin hit not as hard as a Kamaru hit.

He hould have to take it fast to the ground then it's he's all day long.

Wonder what happens to Benil in all these other call outs happening. He deserves something too.

EDIT: Well thinking about it, not so weird, as Conor means lots more dollar bills. But I would think everyone wants the fight with Islam more.

Oldyella

:lol: yeah.

Weird he'd call out Conor though, wonder if he has some worries about Islam? Clearly that's the fight that makes the most sense, so find it weird he would prefer to call out Conor.

Kamaru going down would be interesting, but yeah I also think Charles wins that. Only problem is if he connects with that power, you see how Charles allows those shots to come in.
Justin hit not as hard as a Kamaru hit.

He hould have to take it fast to the ground then it's he's all day long.

Wonder what happens to Benil in all these other call outs happening. He deserves something too.
Everyone calls our Conor because that fight will pay more than 3 or 4 other fights combined.

Oldyella

Ha! I just edited that into my post :wenger:

I think so too but surely more people are interested in the Islam fight and will also pay good money to see it.
From a sporting perspective yeah. Mcgregor just brings in casual fans to a massive degree. Would be interesting to see if that's still the case though. The shine has surely started to wear off him now.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
From a sporting perspective yeah. Mcgregor just brings in casual fans to a massive degree. Would be interesting to see if that's still the case though. The shine has surely started to wear off him now.
The casuals who pay to see him fight gloriously and win have been replaced by regular fans who pay to see him get battered :D

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Nevermind Conor. He's got to fight Islam next. After that, he can claim he's cleaned out the entire division.
I still think Islam needs to fight Dariush, or failing that try and make the RDA fight for about the 6th time.

He's very good and on a great win streak but the guy has beaten precisely two fighters in the top 15 and nobody in the top 5.

Castia

The Rose fight was the most bizarre thing I’ve ever seen in the UFC

I still don’t know wtf her game plan was and why her corner thought she was having a good fight. Even her reaction at the final buzzer was that of somebody who just steamrolled their opponent for 5 rounds.

Weird

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Rose fight was the most bizarre thing I’ve ever seen in the UFC

I still don’t know wtf her game plan was and why her corner thought she was having a good fight. Even her reaction at the final buzzer was that of somebody who just steamrolled their opponent for 5 rounds.

Weird
Should be the name of her autobiography

MarylandMUFan

Not like Trevor to have a horrible game plan for Rose but that was awful. He was telling her she was doing everything right after round 1 because the crowd were booing. There is a difference between letting a fighter come to you and just avoiding contact for 25 minutes and it seems her camp got it wrong.

redom

Delighted for Charles! I wondered whether the extra time trying to cut weight was going to effect his chin and ability to recover from damage.. I guess not :lol:

I don't really know what to say about the Tony KO, he was doing well in the first and in typical Tony fashion was causing some significant damage but to get hit that hard with a full power "soccer" kick to the jaw from Chandler, who's legs are like tree trunks, you just have to be thankful for mouth guards I guess otherwise he might have woken up with a mouthful of cracked teeth.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Not like Trevor to have a horrible game plan for Rose but that was awful. He was telling her she was doing everything right after round 1 because the crowd were booing. There is a difference between letting a fighter come to you and just avoiding contact for 25 minutes and it seems her camp got it wrong.
My memory might be a bit off but pretty sure that was Pat Barry.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I still think Islam needs to fight Dariush, or failing that try and make the RDA fight for about the 6th time.

He's very good and on a great win streak but the guy has beaten precisely two fighters in the top 15 and nobody in the top 5.
That’s not his problem though, it’s the UFC’s for slow rolling him because they don’t view him as a fight seller. Compare the amount of UFC time and wins Islam has against say Chandler, who got a title fight in only his second UFC fight ever, and it’s pretty easy to see that it’s not a “but he’s not really beaten anyone yet” issue, but rather one of marketability. They know that if Islam becomes champ, it won’t be good for business.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
That’s not his problem though, it’s the UFC’s for slow rolling him because they don’t view him as a fight seller. Compare the amount of UFC time and wins Islam has against say Chandler, who got a title fight in only his second UFC fight ever, and it’s pretty easy to see that it’s not a “but he’s not really beaten anyone yet” issue, but rather one of marketability. They know that if Islam becomes champ, it won’t be good for business.
Exactly. People who think the UFC operates in a meritocratic way are living in fantasy land.

Ladron de redcafe

Uneven card. Exciting fights followed by snoozers which precede another exciting fight.

Tony Ferguson didn't look out of place in the first round, unlike in his previous 3 fights. Devestating kick to end it and at this point, you have to wonder about the cumulative damage he's taken. At some point, you have to prioritize your health. MMA is a brutal sport, and that was as brutal as it gets.

Gaethje knocked down Oliveira twice and got too excited as he attempted to go for a knock out. Nothing was crisp. He was swinging wildly at air at times, and left himself exposed.

His defense on the ground after being taken down was unsurprisingly poor given that he's been open about the fact that he hasn't worked on his ground game in the buildup to this and tried to focus more on ending the fight standing up.

Next up has to be Makachev. Any suggestion of Conor (who hasn't won a fight since 2016) is just ludicrous. Chandler can take on Conor and Poirier can fight Beneil in a number 1 contender's match for a shot at Oliveira/Islam, in my opinion.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I hope Chandler gets McGregor for two reasons.

1. He is extremely entertaining and has that bombastic WWE character without being a cnut about it. He deserves a giant payday.

2. He could obliterate McGregor which would be hilarious. McGregor knows its too, I doubt he wants anything to do with Chandler.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I hope Chandler gets McGregor for two reasons.

1. He is extremely entertaining and has that bombastic WWE character without being a cnut about it. He deserves a giant payday.

2. He could obliterate McGregor which would be hilarious. McGregor knows its too, I doubt he wants anything to do with Chandler.
I doubt most want anything to do with this guy now. He's an absolute mad man :lol:

But I wish he was in UFC sooner. He's pure gold in and out of the cage and doesn't have to resort to Colby or McGregor levels of cringe to do it.

Luke1995

Thoughts on Adesanya X Cannonnier ?

While it's a exciting matchup on paper, I fear it could look like the Romero one.

While Jared got the power to KO Adesanya, Israel is the far better overall striker and he'll know how to stay away from boxing range.

The X factor here would be if Cannonnier wanted to take it to the ground, but seems unlikely.

Charlie Foley

Next up has to be Makachev. Any suggestion of Conor (who hasn't won a fight since 2016) is just ludicrous. Chandler can take on Conor and Poirier can fight Beneil in a number 1 contender's match for a shot at Oliveira/Islam, in my opinion.
shithead won a fight in 2020