The MMA thread

Oggmonster

Big Country just kicked the ref. :lol:
Wonder what Dana will do about it, he always slates Nelson I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a bit of shit for it anyway.

Cyborg is a waste of time to be honest, she's roided out her mind and just steamrolls shit opponents at a catchweight which has no interest at all to anyone else. Don't really get how people get excited to watch her really.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Cyborg beasted it this weekend. Wow. Who will they feed her next? Roy Nelson should get cut for that teep kick on Big John's butt. Can't hit the ref no matter how angry you are :nono:

Lastwolf

That was weird.

I understand Roy was angry he had to keep beating his friend up but he wasn't out, just rocked, about 3 punches on the floor in, yeah he was out but he was still defending himself to a degree. Big John should have jumped in earlier but wasn't that late a stoppage for me.

Terrible fight otherwise, says a lot about the state of the HW division that both these guys are ranked.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
To be honest, I'd rather see a ref end a fight slightly early than watch a fighter receive a few more potentially damaging blows to the head. When in doubt end the fight sooner.

Lastwolf

If he'd have walked away Big foot would have got up, he'd have been mostly on Mars but still the fight was over. It's hard to call but he clearly goes limp about half way though the ground and pound.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well that's a quality headliner anyway.

Khabib and Aldo though....

Guess McGregor is keeping his belt too?

justboy68

Lightweight has so many deserving title contenders and then Conor gets a shot by going 1-1 against Nate Diaz (at a different weight no less)... meh. I know it's all about the money and the attention he brings is great, but Conor is turning the UFC into a circus and I don't like it. This has to mean vacating the FW strap for god's sake.

Anyway, Alvarez is not afraid of doing whatever it takes to win. Unanimous decision via extreme cagehugging like the Pettis fight, or maybe a finish in the later rounds when Conor is totally gassed. Conor has no hope of ever getting off the cage when Eddie has him there. He's also only been tko'd once in 2007 early in his career.

Last edited:

JP77

Absolute joke of a decision. It's not as if Alvarez is some big name who's going to make this an even bigger fight than usual in terms of a McGregor fight either. You've got two (almost three if you include RDA) absolute legit contenders who have been tearing the division up and you make this fight instead, also involving a guy who STILL hasn't defended his 145 title.

Don't usually complain when it comes to fights being made but this decision stinks.

Oggmonster

Why is this insistence that Khabib deserve a title shot so widely accepted? He's only ever fought a couple of quality opponents, has constant injury problems and refuses to fight cos of his religion. Why would UFC bother to get behind him?

I'm not to fussed about the whole holding the belt ransom shite i t's been done to death. I'm excited for this fight and this card. It's brilliant at the moment.

Oggmonster

Dana made to look a muppet again. Is Conor now his boss?
The UFC does legitimately need to build more stars if they want to stop relying on Conor and/or Ronda I'd agree with that. I dunno if he looks a muppet though. It's a guy who's just banked 400 million dollars and with Conor on this card he's probably made it one of the top 3 (I'd argue it might get to number 1 with the NYC factor) watched cards of all time. It would of done awful numbers if headlined by Wonderboy vs. Woodley

JP77

Why is this insistence that Khabib deserve a title shot so widely accepted? He's only ever fought a couple of quality opponents, has constant injury problems and refuses to fight cos of his religion. Why would UFC bother to get behind him?

I'm not to fussed about the whole holding the belt ransom shite i t's been done to death. I'm excited for this fight and this card. It's brilliant at the moment.
Khabib is 23-0 in his career, 7-0 in the UFC. He's dominated in the UFC including dominating the former champion RDA who was on a 5 fight win streak prior to that and then went on another 5 fight win streak after that fight including winning the title. The idea that he doesn't deserve a title shot is ridiculous to be perfectly honest, his injuries don't change that. Let's BTW just look at this belief in regards to Khabib having some kind of terrible injury record compared to others too:

He fought 4 times in 2014 and 2 times last year and 1 time so far this year. Compare that to RDA who has the exact same record of 4 fights in 2014, 2 in 2015, 1 this year...or, and get ready for this one, Eddie Alvarez who has fought SEVEN times since the start of 2012...just one fight in 2013, just one fight in 2014, just one fight in 2015. None of this is even taking into account the fact they have Ferguson and to a lesser extent RDA too (it's clear they put the two together with the plan of matching Khabib with Alvarez which now has been shot down due to McGregor).

If we're sitting here and talking about the 155 champion and how he's cleared out the division then I'd understand this fight. The reality is though that Alvarez hasn't defended the title a single time. The other reality is that this division has legit contenders who have earned title shots. I don't even want to hear about money when it comes to this fight, Alvarez isn't some big named fighter that's going to make this a blockbuster fight, it'll sell on the basis that it's a McGregor fight and that it's for the title. McGregor/Aldo would have likely sold more than this considering the history, the only conclusion is that McGregor doesn't want to fight at 145 again and is being stripped of the title.

What's next, McGregor wins the 155 title and then holds this division to ransom too while he jollies off to fight at a different weight class while the division and the credible fighters in it suffer? It get's to a point where it just becomes ridiculous. I'm not even a McGregor hater either, I had no problem with the two Diaz fights like some did, but this one really grinds on me. People will use the excuse of this being about money but the reality is McGregor will sell shows no matter who you put him in there with, Alvarez isn't some sort of superfight where you're going "I get it, two huge names who will sell huge amounts".

Ole90+3

McGregor obviously pushed Dana for this fight for the possibility to become the first ever fighter to hold 2 titles at the same time.

I expect McGregor to either get stripped or made to defend the FW title in his next after 205.

Oggmonster

Khabib is 23-0 in his career, 7-0 in the UFC. He's dominated in the UFC including dominating the former champion RDA who was on a 5 fight win streak prior to that and then went on another 5 fight win streak after that fight including winning the title. The idea that he doesn't deserve a title shot is ridiculous to be perfectly honest, his injuries don't change that. Let's BTW just look at this belief in regards to Khabib having some kind of terrible injury record compared to others too:

He fought 4 times in 2014 and 2 times last year and 1 time so far this year. Compare that to RDA who has the exact same record of 4 fights in 2014, 2 in 2015, 1 this year...or, and get ready for this one, Eddie Alvarez who has fought SEVEN times since the start of 2012...just one fight in 2013, just one right in 2014, just one fight in 2015.

If we're sitting here and talking about the 155 champion and how he's cleared out the division then I'd understand this fight. The reality is though that Alvarez hasn't defended the title a single time. The other reality is that this division has legit contenders who have earned title shots. I don't even want to hear about money when it comes to this fight, Alvarez isn't some big named fighter that's going to make this a blockbuster fight, it'll sell on the basis that it's a McGregor fight and that it's for the title. McGregor/Aldo would have likely sold more than this considering the history, the only conclusion is that McGregor doesn't want to fight at 145 again and is being stripped of the title.

What's next, McGregor wins the 155 title and then holds this division to ransom too while he jollies off to fight at a different weight class while the division and the credible fighters in it suffer? It get's to a point where it just becomes ridiculous. I'm not even a McGregor hater either, I had no problem with the two Diaz fights like some did, but this one really grinds on me.
In fairness the fact you only mention RDA kind of does suggest he's only had 1 legitimate top fight. Look at who he fought in UFC most have got bang average records, his most recent fight was against someone brought into the UFC purely to fight him.

Also where are you getting that Khabib record from? Who has he fought in 2014? Who did he fight twice last year? He had one fight in 2014 against RDA, he didn't fight in 2015 and he has fought a can in 2016 (he also apparently refused a fight cos of his religious views, fair enough but don't expect a company to get behind you if that's the case.) I never suggested Alvarez was hugely active he just took his chance at the title when he got it. TO my knowledge though he has only missed 1 fight in the UFC due to injury.

Alvarez hasn't cleared out the division as champion he has some huge wins at lightweight though. RDA, Pettis, Chandler, Melendez are his last 4 wins and are all arguably better than any of Khabib's wins except RDA which kind of cancels each other out.

To me it seems they're thinking long term with it. McGregor vs. Aldo sells massive but any McGregor fight does. If he wins this he fights Aldo as the only ever person to hold 2 belts at the same time in the UFC....if he loses then he still has the belt to fall back on and it's the same as last time. Interim vs. Actual champion. He won't be stripped of the title either apparently before this fight.

I dunno what's next for him, if he wins the belt i think he might just drop the featherweight one anyway straight after. I'm not to worried I'm just looking forward to this fight, McGregor always puts on a show and Alvarez is a very good fighter.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Khabib has had one fight in 2 and half years against a non ranked opponent

SO I dont feel overly sorry for him

Oggmonster

I got mixed up with the Khabib fights in the last 2 or so years, my mistake. Doesn't change my main point though.
But how can he overly justify a title shot when he's fought 1 good opponent? He brings nothing to the table at all. SOmeone like Ferguson I could kind of understand being pissed off.

Khabib is unreliable, uninteresting and doesn't sell fights. You don't put that as your main event on one of your biggest cards ever.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Wow. Dana really does dance to the tune of Conor. Dana should have just kept his mouth shut about stripping McGregor of the belt because he just looks like Conor's bitch now. Hopefully Conor brings out the dog in Eddie!

cyberman

It's the correct decision.
No other champion is as willing as Conor to step up weight classes to test hinself and compete in 'Dream' matchups.
If it's one win v a nobody in two years Khabib v Conor then surely it has to be Conor?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
No other champion is as willing as Conor to step up weight classes to test hinself and compete in 'Dream' matchups.
If it's one win v a nobody in two years Khabib v Conor then surely it has to be Conor?
But Conor went 1-1 with a lightweight journeyman at WW? How does that earn him title shot? Should be El Cucuy. There's no discussion to be had.

Oggmonster

But Conor went 1-1 with a lightweight journeyman at WW? How does that earn him title shot? Should be El Cucuy. There's no discussion to be had.
It should be if it's anyone but he's fighting the week before in what I'd guess is a title eliminator (I hope it is to piss off Khabib even more.) I'm guessing most the lightweights are begging for Conor to win this for their chance to fight him as well.

JP77

But how can he overly justify a title shot when he's fought 1 good opponent? He brings nothing to the table at all. SOmeone like Ferguson I could kind of understand being pissed off.

Khabib is unreliable, uninteresting and doesn't sell fights. You don't put that as your main event on one of your biggest cards ever.
Ferguson 100% deserves a title shot at 155 ahead of McGregor, already mentioned that. It's clear Ferguson was put together with RDA so that Khabib could fight Alvarez and the winner of RDA/Ferguson would get the winner of Khabib/Alvarez, it's ridiculous to now abandon that so that McGregor can jump into yet another weight division. Talk all the stuff you want about Khabib, I'd happily put money on it with you that he will beat either of McGregor or Alvarez if he gets a shot. Khabib is McGregor's worst nightmare in terms of stylistic opponent. The last thing the 155 division needs is McGregor winning the title and holding another division to ransom if he decides to go fight at another weight or another 'dream' fight.

Alvarez/McGregor is a 'dream' match? That's a new one.

McGregor sells whoever the opponent, that's my original point. You could easily put him in against somebody else and he'll do around the same amount of buys/business as he will against Alvarez. This isn't some dream fight like some are making out. This isn't a GSP/Silva or something in that mould. They could easily of had Khabib/Alvarez and then McGregor defending the 145 title, which he rightfully should be. That's a completely different area too, if he's not stripped of the 145 title now then it's embarrassing after Dana insisting over and over he would be.

cyberman

Prizefighting is a boxing term and this is a prizefight.
This isn't something new that has embarassed the UFC. This is an era when we have boxing titles defended at catchweight.
We have big name boxers moving up and down for immediate title shots every other fight. When we have mandatories being overlooked time and time again.
Ferguson will fight the winner imo. A Ferguson who has begged for a Conor fight. Is he unhappy he could face him for the belt?
The 155 crowd are ecstatic Conor is stepping up imo.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
McGregor sells whoever the opponent, that's my original point. You could easily put him in against somebody else and he'll do around the same amount of buys/business as he will against Alvarez. This isn't some dream fight like some are making out. This isn't a GSP/Silva or something in that mould. They could easily of had Khabib/Alvarez and then McGregor defending the 145 title, which he rightfully should be. That's a completely different area too, if he's not stripped of the 145 title now then it's embarrassing after Dana insisting over and over he would be.
I think it's more to do with pushing a champion vs. champion narrative and the chance for McGregor to make history and boost his brand even more. That's why they're doing it. This is the only opportunity they have to make this fight with Conor having chance to win the title so they're taking it. It's gonna blow up in their face once Conor starts requesting private jets to carry him to the arenas if he becomes two-weight champion.

kidbob

I think it's more to do with pushing a champion vs. champion narrative and the chance for McGregor to make history and boost his brand even more. That's why they're doing it. This is the only opportunity they have to make this fight with Conor having chance to win the title so they're taking it. It's gonna blow up in their face once Conor starts requesting private jets to carry him to the arenas if he becomes two-weight champion.
Conor is capable of beating Khabib, RDA or Ferguson too. Nate also isn't just some journeyman. Conor makes the company the most money so he gets to play by his own rules. Aldo and Edgar were offered the shot before the first Diaz fight and neither would take it so tough luck for them.

Oggmonster

Ferguson 100% deserves a title shot at 155 ahead of McGregor, already mentioned that. It's clear Ferguson was put together with RDA so that Khabib could fight Alvarez and the winner of RDA/Ferguson would get the winner of Khabib/Alvarez, it's ridiculous to now abandon that so that McGregor can jump into yet another weight division. Talk all the stuff you want about Khabib, I'd happily put money on it with you that he will beat either of McGregor or Alvarez if he gets a shot. Khabib is McGregor's worst nightmare in terms of stylistic opponent. The last thing the 155 division needs is McGregor winning the title and holding another division to ransom if he decides to go fight at another weight or another 'dream' fight.

Alvarez/McGregor is a 'dream' match? That's a new one.

I'm not really much of a betting man but I am genuinely intrigued as I assume you're a Khabib where people get this confidence in him from? It's not an insult or a dig from what I've seen he looks a good fighter but he has largely fought pretty average fighters, McGregor and Alvarez have fought top opposition I don't think it's fair to dismiss them vs. Khabib. The reality for me is I like watching McGregor fight (a lot more than I do Khabib) so I am looking forward to it. IF talking about active fighters as we were before Conor is more active than all of the fighters we're mentioning. With the rise of the UFC, which has come hand in hand with the rise of McGregor as well, it has turned into people promoting themselves more to generate interest and unfortunately for all the other fighters no one can do it to his level. Therefore he will get preferential treatment cos the UFC is a business and he makes that business a shit load of money. Khabib can bitch and whine all he wants but until he fights someone decent "Die hard" UFC Fans opinion will divide on him and casual fans will never of heard of him.

In fairness Alvarez vs McGregor is far more interesting than Alvarez vs. Khabib to most people. If you want proof then all have to do is look at the PPV numbers after 205.

I'd still say they got it the right way round to, he loses this he can still drop to 145 and defend his title. If he lost to Aldo then lost to Alvarez a lot of his stock has gone. He can afford to lose this fight and still do huge numbers if he goes down to fight Aldo.

They make a hell of a lot more money than they give back to Conor so I'm sure they're not to worried at the moment.

I honestly wish sometimes people would just enjoy McGregor, each to their own and all that but here's a guy who fights in hugely entertaining fights against anyone and he still gets slated. I just think enjoy it while it lasts cos it won't be lasting forever.

To play devils advocate to people slating McGregor as well he wanted this fight a long time ago for the title but his opponent got injured, Aldo was then offered the McGregor fight (apparently McGregor is holding up a division here) and he turned it down. Why does Aldo not get slated? This whole thing could of been resolved months ago but it was injuries that put a stop to it.

It's topped off what was already a stacked card, as a fan of fighting I'm just going to enjoy it personally.

JP77

I'm not really much of a betting man but I am genuinely intrigued as I assume you're a Khabib where people get this confidence in him from? It's not an insult or a dig from what I've seen he looks a good fighter but he has largely fought pretty average fighters, McGregor and Alvarez have fought top opposition I don't think it's fair to dismiss them vs. Khabib. The reality for me is I like watching McGregor fight (a lot more than I do Khabib) so I am looking forward to it. IF talking about active fighters as we were before Conor is more active than all of the fighters we're mentioning. With the rise of the UFC, which has come hand in hand with the rise of McGregor as well, it has turned into people promoting themselves more to generate interest and unfortunately for all the other fighters no one can do it to his level. Therefore he will get preferential treatment cos the UFC is a business and he makes that business a shit load of money. Khabib can bitch and whine all he wants but until he fights someone decent "Die hard" UFC Fans opinion will divide on him and casual fans will never of heard of him.

In fairness Alvarez vs McGregor is far more interesting than Alvarez vs. Khabib to most people. If you want proof then all have to do is look at the PPV numbers after 205.

I'd still say they got it the right way round to, he loses this he can still drop to 145 and defend his title. If he lost to Aldo then lost to Alvarez a lot of his stock has gone. He can afford to lose this fight and still do huge numbers if he goes down to fight Aldo.

They make a hell of a lot more money than they give back to Conor so I'm sure they're not to worried at the moment.

I honestly wish sometimes people would just enjoy McGregor, each to their own and all that but here's a guy who fights in hugely entertaining fights against anyone and he still gets slated. I just think enjoy it while it lasts cos it won't be lasting forever.

To play devils advocate to people slating McGregor as well he wanted this fight a long time ago for the title but his opponent got injured, Aldo was then offered the McGregor fight (apparently McGregor is holding up a division here) and he turned it down. Why does Aldo not get slated? This whole thing could of been resolved months ago but it was injuries that put a stop to it.

It's topped off what was already a stacked card, as a fan of fighting I'm just going to enjoy it personally.
I'm not even a big Khabib fan, however he's 23-0, 7-0 in the UFC, has looked dominant in every fight I've ever seen him in (including rag dolling RDA for periods in their fight) and is ranked number one in the Lightweight division. You can't just use the excuse of looking at PPV numbers and how much money a fight makes all the time, at some point you need to remember it's a sport and not just a business. On the part about Khabib beating McGregor, for me it's because he's stylistically an absolute nightmare for McGregor. He's a grinder, he'll wear you down and rag doll you around the cage in a similar way that Cormier does. His biggest strengths are McGregor's biggest weaknesses.

Just to point out too, I'm not saying any of this to slate McGregor. I had no issue with the two fights with Diaz (apart from the Featherweight title being held up for the second fight). I stick by my point, even if it is champion against champion, it won't sell all that much more than McGregor would have done with a different opponent on this card. I get it, he sells big, he's a big draw, but he'll draw whether it's against Alvarez or against an Aldo or somebody else. It's not a case of "we have to do this fight for the huge money" when the reality is they'd be making big money whoever they put him against.

I'm not looking at it from an excited point of view like I did with Diaz/McGregor either. I looked at the rematch for that one and had no issue with it, the first fight was great and I knew they'd go to war for a second fight, that's awesome, it effected nobody around them when you consider Aldo/Edgar had just fought for the interim title at Featherweight anyway. This isn't the same as that. It does have an effect, it's holding back a legit title contender for no reason what so ever. You don't think Khabib is that? Fair enough. I'm not knocking the excitement for the fight either, I'll go into it looking forward to it as always, I just don't agree with the decision to give McGregor a title shot at 155 when they have Khabib and Ferguson who should be getting a title shot.

Would absolutely love to see Ferguson/McGregor though. The build would be some of the best we've seen and the fight would be crazy. In all honesty though if McGregor did beat Alvarez I wouldn't rule out the UFC overlooking Khabib and Ferguson again and making McGregor/Diaz III for the title.

Oggmonster

I'm not even a big Khabib fan, however he's 23-0, 7-0 in the UFC, has looked dominant in every fight I've ever seen him in (including rag dolling RDA for periods in their fight) and is ranked number one in the Lightweight division. You can't just use the excuse of looking at PPV numbers and how much money a fight makes all the time, at some point you need to remember it's a sport and not just a business. On the part about Khabib beating McGregor, for me it's because he's stylistically an absolute nightmare for McGregor. He's a grinder, he'll wear you down and rag doll you around the cage in a similar way that Cormier does. His biggest strengths are McGregor's biggest weaknesses.

Just to point out too, I'm not saying any of this to slate McGregor. I had no issue with the two fights with Diaz (apart from the Featherweight title being held up for the second fight). I stick by my point, even if it is champion against champion, it won't sell all that much more than McGregor would have done with a different opponent on this card. I get it, he sells big, he's a big draw, but he'll draw whether it's against Alvarez or against an Aldo or somebody else. It's not a case of "we have to do this fight for the huge money" when the reality is they'd be making big money whoever they put him against.

I'm not looking at it from an excited point of view like I did with Diaz/McGregor either. I looked at the rematch for that one and had no issue with it, the first fight was great and I knew they'd go to war for a second fight, that's awesome, it effected nobody around them when you consider Aldo/Edgar had just fought for the interim title at Featherweight anyway. This isn't the same as that. It does have an effect, it's holding back a legit title contender for no reason what so ever. You don't think Khabib is that? Fair enough. I'm not knocking the excitement for the fight either, I'll go into it looking forward to it as always, I just don't agree with the decision to give McGregor a title shot at 155 when they have Khabib and Ferguson who should be getting a title shot.

Would absolutely love to see Ferguson/McGregor though. The build would be some of the best we've seen and the fight would be crazy. In all honesty though if McGregor did beat Alvarez I wouldn't rule out the UFC overlooking Khabib and Ferguson again and making McGregor/Diaz III for the title.
There is more than just money for me though. I just can't feel sorry for the guy he's fought 1 legit opponent in his whole career and yeah he beat him but it's hardly impressive going 23-0 against nobodies. Until the Aldo fight people used to tar McGregor with the same brush but with the benefit of hindsight some of his wins vs. Poirer, Mendes and Holloway were all pretty legit. Holloway especially looks a great fighter. Don't get me wrong money will obviously be one of the factors but the UFC made their bed with that a long time ago and for me the McGregor fight is a lot more entertaining than watching Khabib fight at all. I'd of been more up for it if he fought Ferguson but in fairness to him I think Ferguson got injured there I can't really remember though.

I suppose it's opinions with the money thing and drawing power. I agree McGregor will draw big for a while yet but it is just marketing. Promoting him as a 2 weight champion. Who knows though it's swings and roundabouts.

McGregor vs. Diaz will be the fight they want yeah I'd agree. In all honesty though I wouldn't write McGregor off but I think he struggles vs. Alvarez. He has plenty of ways to go though, even if he loses to Alvarez and then Aldo he'd still have a money fight vs. Diaz! Not a bad position t obe in and with the speed he turns around fights it could all be in the next 12 or so months.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
The UFC does legitimately need to build more stars if they want to stop relying on Conor and/or Ronda I'd agree with that. I dunno if he looks a muppet though. It's a guy who's just banked 400 million dollars and with Conor on this card he's probably made it one of the top 3 (I'd argue it might get to number 1 with the NYC factor) watched cards of all time. It would of done awful numbers if headlined by Wonderboy vs. Woodley
The said this with Tito and Chuck, who were replaced with GSP and Anderson Silva, who got replaced with Ronda and Conor. The next big thing is always just around the corner

I think its the right fight to make because of the fact its the first event in NYC. They needed a big main event and now they have it

The card is also now stacked from top to bottom. Its better than UFC 200 by a distance

cyberman

Conor will bring out the Irish in New York.
He's as close to a local star as you can get when he isn't even from there.