The MMA thread

Oggmonster

There's a definite irony in overseas Manchester United fans slagging off recent converts to MMA who got caught up in the UFC/McGregor hype machine. It's not as though their keen interest in English football started off with a love of the lower leagues.
Haha I did think the same, I'm sure they've followed us since the Newton Heath days though.

I think some fans preferred MMA as their niche sport and now someone has made it big and others got onto it they're pissed off with it in all honesty. Hence the patronising "McGregor Fans" stuff.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
There's a definite irony in overseas Manchester United fans slagging off recent converts to MMA who got caught up in the UFC/McGregor hype machine. It's not as though their keen interest in English football started off with a love of the lower leagues.
Was that directed at my comment to cina?

It was a joke, I think its great that MMA has gained a much bigger following in Ireland

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Was that directed at my comment to cina?

It was a joke, I think its great that MMA has gained a much bigger following in Ireland
Didn't see that comment. Was aimed at the general theme of sneering at "johnny come lately's". I used to post on another United board where "JCL" was a widely used term of abuse for anyone who didn't support United before we started winning everything under Fergie. Redder than red fans being dicks, basically. Getting similar vibes in the way MMA fans look down their noses at anyone who only recently fell in love with the sport.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Didn't see that comment. Was aimed at the general theme of sneering at "johnny come lately's". I used to post on another United board where "JCL" was a widely used term of abuse for anyone who didn't support United before we started winning everything under Fergie. Redder than red fans being dicks, basically. Getting similar vibes in the way MMA fans look down their noses at anyone who only recently fell in love with the sport.
I think Raoul is completely fine with the increased interest in MMA even if it's just because of McGregor (I am one of those people), but if they say stuff like "Aldo is shit and a baby, he got knocked out after 13 seconds" I can understand why he's annoyed with those people. It's clear he is one of the best MMA fighters ever if you look at his unbeaten record and title defenses. Even if you've only recently become interested in the UFC you should be able to know what you're talking about instead of sprouting bollocks, which understandably annoys long-time fans.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
What pisses me off about newer MMA fans, and especially a bunch of Conor McGregor fans that I know is that they want to educate me on MMA when I been watching it for nearly a decade. They think Max Holloway is nowhere near Conor level, they think Aldo is a joke, they think Nate only started speaking up after watching Conor do it etc etc. It does get frustrating.

Oggmonster

I think Raoul is completely fine with the increased interest in MMA even if it's just because of McGregor (I am one of those people), but if they say stuff like "Aldo is shit and a baby, he got knocked out after 13 seconds" I can understand why he's annoyed with those people. It's clear he is one of the best MMA fighters ever if you look at his unbeaten record and title defenses. Even if you've only recently become interested in the UFC you should be able to know what you're talking about instead of sprouting bollocks, which understandably annoys long-time fans.
Calling people johnny come latelys, tarring everyone with the same brush as "McGregor fans" as if that's something to be ashamed of and people saying they only like him cos he's Irish etc is pretty patronising though and it comes across that people have a chip on their shoulder cos McGregor took the sport to another level. It is pretty much the same as the "Oh you're a United fan...you from London" thing really.

As I've said before all sports will have people who probably just talk to have a laugh. I.e. Aldo is shit (although I've not seen anyone in here suggest that) there's no harm in it. Not everything has to be serious all the time. I bet there was people reacting with delight when McGregor got choked out to Diaz, there will also be people who are ready to shoot him down again if/when he next loses.

What pisses me off about newer MMA fans, and especially a bunch of Conor McGregor fans that I know is that they want to educate me on MMA when I been watching it for nearly a decade. They think Max Holloway is nowhere near Conor level, they think Aldo is a joke, they think Nate only started speaking up after watching Conor do it etc etc. It does get frustrating.
You get that in every sport though not just sports but in most things whether it be politics etc. It genuinely seems with the longer standing UFC fans if you happen to like Conor McGregor, even if you've been a fan yourself since before he got big, you should be ashamed of it or get tarred with this "johnny come lately" tag.

Again I still fail to see the harm of people watching a sport late and getting into it, people who talk down to you about sports or anything else for that matter are just dicks not cos they're Conor McGregor fans.

Manny

Grammar Police
Some say bang on, others would say it's pretty patronising really. Again, why does it matter if someone only liked the sport after McGregor? Why does it matter if they only like the sport cos of McGregor? If he got 1million fans to watch and then 500,000 left when he does surely it makes it better for the other fighters and the sport long term? Maybe, just maybe, people don't take MMA as serious as you do.
You can call it patronising, I think its a pretty accurate description of the state of the MMA fan base at the minute. Conors using his fans and PPV numbers to pick the fights he wants and the UFC will go along with it because whilst it makes money, it makes sense. You need to take your head out of the sand if you can't see that. If Conors as great as he acts, then he needs to take the fights that show that.

And to be honest, the 'bringing in fans' thing, we heard the same shite after Brock joined. The only people that stand to benefit are Brock, Conor, Ronda, Dana and WME-IMG now. History shows that as long as the stars okay, the show roles on. We still have lower and mid end fighters saying they are struggling to cover living, training and medical expenses.

Maybe they like it for the entertainment value and find him entertaining and aren't that bothered about other fighters. Is that REALLY that much of a problem? It doesn't particularly bother me people only come to watch McGregor, as said he would have got people into the sport who will now watch stuff he's not involved in so surely it's a good thing long term?
Yes it is a problem. The competition has become a farce at 145 and after all, we are talking about a sport here. It's taking the opportunities for title fights, improved contracts and PPV percentages away from the likes of Aldo, Edgar and Holloway. Fighters who deserve better.

Any fan with that line of thinking is only concerned with Conor holding the belt and has a lack of regard for the integrity of the sport and its fighters. That line of thinking hurts the sport long term. I wouldn't even class those fans as casuals, its a fad for them.

It doesn't particularly bother me people only come to watch McGregor, as said he would have got people into the sport who will now watch stuff he's not involved in so surely it's a good thing long term? The shit some people give to fans of McGregor or "johnny come latelys" as they're so patronisingly called is pathetic to be honest. Let people enjoy something and have fun watching without taking a moral high ground.
Why can't I, as long term MMA fan, be annoyed at the direction the Conor bots are taking the sport? I would say I'm pretty invested in the sport. I was watching MMA long before Conor showed up and I'll be watching it long after his fans feck off. The entertainment is all well and good, I enjoy a lot of it, but take the fecking fights that maintains the integrity of the sport and respects its competitors.

Why is it embarrassing to the sport as a whole?
It's embarrassing from the Conor bots and its detrimental to sport, integrity, competition...(I'm repeating myself now).

It's this picking your fights and weight classes BS that had fans go off boxing. Now we have fans who were only familiar with boxing accepting it in MMA. Fighters are also coming out and saying they don't care about the belt and are just looking for the best pay days. Its turning into a boxing.

If you've got a huge problem with it surely it's time you took a stand other ways? Don't watch any McGregor related stuff and that would get your message across. There's no point complaining then watching the event he's involved in.
Can I not watch MMA and have an opinion on how detrimental this McGregor circus is to the sport? And how can I avoid McGregor when he is on the most stacked cards every few months? And who said I don't like watching McGregor fight?

cyberman

Ironic that the 'longterm' fans ignore the fact that during Aldo's reign and his year long breaks, Dana promised him if he ever moved to 155 he would become the no 1 contender without ever fighting at 155 himself.
But, you know, modern mma etc...

Manny

Grammar Police
The irony of someone using the fact Aldo was struggling to make the cut and was told told to give up the 145 belt and fight at 155, being used to defend Conor/his fans.

But, you know, long term MMA fans with a chip on their shoulder...

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Ironic that the 'longterm' fans ignore the fact that during Aldo's reign and his year long breaks, Dana promised him if he ever moved to 155 he would become the no 1 contender without ever fighting at 155 himself.
But, you know, modern mma etc...
Also, that he was just as bad for picking his fights, ducking Holloway.

cyberman

Also, that he was just as bad for picking his fights, ducking Holloway.
Edgar got a shot at the 145 title in his first fight, Cormier got his shot after beating a can and an over the hill Henderson.
Feck Brock got his shot after 2 victories and a loss.
That's just off the top of my head, all pre Conor madness era.
The problem here is Aldo was happy to back down to Dana while Conor called his bluff, it looks like favouritism when it's just Aldo not fighting for what he wants.

Oggmonster

You can call it patronising, I think its a pretty accurate description of the state of the MMA fan base at the minute. Conors using his fans and PPV numbers to pick the fights he wants and the UFC will go along with it because whilst it makes money, it makes sense. You need to take your head out of the sand if you can't see that. If Conors as great as he acts, then he needs to take the fights that show that.

And to be honest, the 'bringing in fans' thing, we heard the same shite after Brock joined. The only people that stand to benefit are Brock, Conor, Ronda, Dana and WME-IMG now. History shows that as long as the stars okay, the show roles on. We still have lower and mid end fighters saying they are struggling to cover living, training and medical expenses.

Yes it is a problem. The competition has become a farce at 145 and after all, we are talking about a sport here. It's taking the opportunities for title fights, improved contracts and PPV percentages away from the likes of Aldo, Edgar and Holloway. Fighters who deserve better.

Any fan with that line of thinking is only concerned with Conor holding the belt and has a lack of regard for the integrity of the sport and its fighters. That line of thinking hurts the sport long term. I wouldn't even class those fans as casuals, its a fad for them.

Why can't I, as long term MMA fan, be annoyed at the direction the Conor bots are taking the sport? I would say I'm pretty invested in the sport. I was watching MMA long before Conor showed up and I'll be watching it long after his fans feck off. The entertainment is all well and good, I enjoy a lot of it, but take the fecking fights that maintains the integrity of the sport and respects its competitors.

It's embarrassing from the Conor bots and its detrimental to sport, integrity, competition...(I'm repeating myself now).

It's this picking your fights and weight classes BS that had fans go off boxing. Now we have fans who were only familiar with boxing accepting it in MMA. Fighters are also coming out and saying they don't care about the belt and are just looking for the best pay days. Its turning into a boxing.

Can I not watch MMA and have an opinion on how detrimental this McGregor circus is to the sport? And how can I avoid McGregor when he is on the most stacked cards every few months? And who said I don't like watching McGregor fight?
I've not got my head in the sand though, I said it would be nice if Conor fought Aldo in the past I can just see why he would want to fight other people and I am personally looking forward to the fight. Does that make me a johnny come lately or a clueless idiot? It seems that's t he tone from people in this thread. You can be pissed off with McGregor or the UFC and are entitled to but to slate people for apparently just liking the guy and put yourself on a mantle as better than others is just pretty rude for me.

It's up to fighters to prove they can do it though. You'll have some of them on big contracts and some won't be which is a shame but that's on them. The UFC definitely isn't perfect I'd agree and fighters should get more money but then you look at people like Dillshaw who are apparently on shite contracts and frankly think he/his agent are a bit stupid. To blame everything on 1 side is naive really.

People can like a sport however much they want, it's not on you at all to tell them they're casuals, in it for a fad or whatever. To be frank it's none of your business. People have different enjoyment levels in certain things for you to think that's a problem is just a bit odd. I applaud you're passion and the stand you take on the UFC and how they treat fighters etc, it's commendable but not everyone has to feel like that. People may just want to enjoy the odd fight and watch it casually (or as a fad) that happens in all sports.

Be as annoyed as you want but the point I'm making as I don't think it's fair to patronise people and take some moral high ground cos you've liked the sport longer and in all honesty that argument is pretty childish. As I've said previously people can like what they want and if they're "Conor bots" (more patronising terms) then so be it. I assume you sure similar outrage at "Aldo bots" or "Weidman bots." Again, being disgruntled at a sport is fine that happens and the beauty of sport is it's all about opinions there isn't really a right or wrong answer. It's just people will simply have a different view on a sport and may be more casual viewers. Are you not a casual viewer of any sport? I think there's 1 sport or show most people will only watch every now and then surely.

Course you can have an opinion no one has denied though. BUt you obviously feel strongly about it so why not make a point of it? It's like people who complain Sky is ruining football but pay 50 quid a month for their package. Take a stand and yeah it may feck you over but if it's something you strongly believe in surely it's good for you. Watch the event the day after on a stream or something. And no one said you didn't like watching McGregor fight either, so I assume you do....and yet you take issue when others like watching him fight as well?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Probably a sign of how much the sport has developed that it now has hipster fans who claim they're better informed than anyone who started watching more recently.

Think I remember a poster criticising Asian football fans before? It's a bit like that.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Probably a sign of how much the sport has developed that it now has hipster fans who claim they're better informed than anyone who started watching more recently.

Think I remember a poster criticising Asian football fans before? It's a bit like that.
Most Asian, American and Aussie football fans are blow ins

But its how any sport grows

But there are loads of examples. American Football is huge in Ireland and the UK these days, so they are all new fans too

Ive been into the UFC for 10ish years and when I first got into it fans were divided into pre and post TUF 1. Of non PRIDE fans were not taken seriously

Its the way shit goes, but ultimately the more fans (and new fans) the better for all

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Calling people johnny come latelys, tarring everyone with the same brush as "McGregor fans" as if that's something to be ashamed of and people saying they only like him cos he's Irish etc is pretty patronising though and it comes across that people have a chip on their shoulder cos McGregor took the sport to another level. It is pretty much the same as the "Oh you're a United fan...you from London" thing really.

As I've said before all sports will have people who probably just talk to have a laugh. I.e. Aldo is shit (although I've not seen anyone in here suggest that) there's no harm in it. Not everything has to be serious all the time. I bet there was people reacting with delight when McGregor got choked out to Diaz, there will also be people who are ready to shoot him down again if/when he next loses.

You get that in every sport though not just sports but in most things whether it be politics etc. It genuinely seems with the longer standing UFC fans if you happen to like Conor McGregor, even if you've been a fan yourself since before he got big, you should be ashamed of it or get tarred with this "johnny come lately" tag.

Again I still fail to see the harm of people watching a sport late and getting into it, people who talk down to you about sports or anything else for that matter are just dicks not cos they're Conor McGregor fans.

Its not remotely patronizing when you consider the facts. McGregor has brought a large contingent of European, largely Irish fans into the fan base. Just look at the rowdy crowds who sing during his pressers. Nothing wrong with that of course, but lets not pretend he isn't followed around by cabal of intrepid fan boys who are happy look the other way at everything that benefits Conor's hopping across multiple divisions at will, while entire divisions are held hostage to when he may or may not return and Dana White's promises to other fighters are now as valuable as toilet paper. Its the special treatment that is the problem and is an obvious double standard. And before anyone brings up the amount of money he brings in, that means feck all in terms of credibility to MMA - it just basically means that greed is being privileged over integrity.

Manny

Grammar Police
People can like a sport however much they want, it's not on you at all to tell them they're casuals, in it for a fad or whatever. To be frank it's none of your business. People have different enjoyment levels in certain things for you to think that's a problem is just a bit odd. I applaud you're passion and the stand you take on the UFC and how they treat fighters etc, it's commendable but not everyone has to feel like that. People may just want to enjoy the odd fight and watch it casually (or as a fad) that happens in all sports.
You are missing the point. Fans can enjoy MMA however they like but the ones on the Conor hype train and the ones who follow him blindly affect matchmaking. Conor, Dana and the UFC can justify any decision because they know that Conor's fans will buy the card regardless. The fans who follow the sport outside of the Conor bubble will have to put up with other fighters and the UFC testing the waters to see what they can get away with. Look at the Hendo/Bisping match up or the push to have Ronda's first fight back be a title fight. All the while, deserving competitors will get shafted.

Be as annoyed as you want but the point I'm making as I don't think it's fair to patronise people and take some moral high ground cos you've liked the sport longer and in all honesty that argument is pretty childish. As I've said previously people can like what they want and if they're "Conor bots" (more patronising terms) then so be it. I assume you sure similar outrage at "Aldo bots" or "Weidman bots." Again, being disgruntled at a sport is fine that happens and the beauty of sport is it's all about opinions there isn't really a right or wrong answer. It's just people will simply have a different view on a sport and may be more casual viewers. Are you not a casual viewer of any sport? I think there's 1 sport or show most people will only watch every now and then surely.
You can call it the moral high ground or patronising, the point remains the same, Conor is getting away with not having to fight the fights that make sense (three times now) thanks to his following. Calling anyone who take issue with that 'childish', comes across as an means to shut them down.

Just on the last page, we had a fan saying Aldo missed his chance chance back in March, despite only being given two weeks to train, for a non title fight, at a weight we wasn't accustomed to and following a KO loss. It might as well have been Conor himself saying it, that's how 'informed' the new crowd is. If that's patronising, then so be it.

Not sure what is meant by the "Aldo bots" or "Weidman bots" comments either. Aldo deserves to fight McGregor next (providing he doesn't spill his piss) and Weidman is injury prone and overrated... All fighters have their fair share of fans who will back them no matter what, but Conor has more than most.

Course you can have an opinion no one has denied though. BUt you obviously feel strongly about it so why not make a point of it? It's like people who complain Sky is ruining football but pay 50 quid a month for their package. Take a stand and yeah it may feck you over but if it's something you strongly believe in surely it's good for you. Watch the event the day after on a stream or something. And no one said you didn't like watching McGregor fight either, so I assume you do....and yet you take issue when others like watching him fight as well?
No, again missing the point...

I live in England so I don't pay for PPV and I'm not going to stop watching MMA. I've followed it for close to 10 years and I have no intention of stopping now. The vast majority of the caf wanted Rooney dropped a couple of weeks ago, should we all have stopped watching United?

Oggmonster

Its not remotely patronizing when you consider the facts. McGregor has brought a large contingent of European, largely Irish fans into the fan base. Just look at the rowdy crowds who sing during his pressers. Nothing wrong with that of course, but lets not pretend he isn't followed around by cabal of intrepid fan boys who are happy look the other way at everything that benefits Conor's hopping across multiple divisions at will, while entire divisions are held hostage to when he may or may not return and Dana White's promises to other fighters are now as valuable as toilet paper. Its the special treatment that is the problem and is an obvious double standard. And before anyone brings up the amount of money he brings in, that means feck all in terms of credibility to MMA - it just basically means that greed is being privileged over integrity.
Each to their own I suppose but I'd consider the terms "Johnny come lately" "McGregor nut hugger" "McGregor bot" "fan boy" all pretty patronising and derogatory just cos someone has the audacity to like McGregor or may have got into the UFC as a result of him.

Again, people are allowed different levels of interest. Maybe them fans aren't interested in the politics of MMA or the UFC and just want to watch a fight without being invested in all the backstage stuff. TO me there's nothing wrong with that at all, whether they're McGregor fans or not.

Your problem with money and the UFC will never go away I'd suggest, even more so since it's been taken over by people who clearly want to get a return on 4.2billion dollars.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Most Asian, American and Aussie football fans are blow ins

But its how any sport grows

But there are loads of examples. American Football is huge in Ireland and the UK these days, so they are all new fans too

Ive been into the UFC for 10ish years and when I first got into it fans were divided into pre and post TUF 1. Of non PRIDE fans were not taken seriously

Its the way shit goes, but ultimately the more fans (and new fans) the better for all
is that a new thing? I thought interested peaked in the glory years of NFL on channel 4 and has been declining since. Are people back into it again?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
yeah, bigger than ever

The play actual competitive games over in Wembley each season now too
I had no idea. I can't be spending any time following other sports. Barely have enough time to watch all of United's games. Add some UFC and GAA and my diary is completely full.

Although I did end up watching Rory McIlroy win 10.5m quid over the weekend. Not quite sure why.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Each to their own I suppose but I'd consider the terms "Johnny come lately" "McGregor nut hugger" "McGregor bot" "fan boy" all pretty patronising and derogatory just cos someone has the audacity to like McGregor or may have got into the UFC as a result of him.

Again, people are allowed different levels of interest. Maybe them fans aren't interested in the politics of MMA or the UFC and just want to watch a fight without being invested in all the backstage stuff. TO me there's nothing wrong with that at all, whether they're McGregor fans or not.

Your problem with money and the UFC will never go away I'd suggest, even more so since it's been taken over by people who clearly want to get a return on 4.2billion dollars.
I do too. Especially when we're all on a forum where the vast majority of us are supporting Utd on the back of them being successful in the first place.

I only started following UFC/MMA on the back of McGregor's rise to fame. There's a large Brazilian community in my town they saw an opening and a few MMA gyms opened. I along with a heap of other Irish lads joined one of them. Nearly 3 years ago now.

I might not be able to school those on here that are calling the likes of me a ''McGregor nut hugger'' and a ''Johnny come lately'' on what went on in the UFC 10 years ago but I tell you one thing for nothing, I'd be confident enough of feckin' schooling them inside the Octogan. So if any of them are up for a few rounds, get in touch and we'll organize something. We won't be long finding out then who knows what about MMA full stop.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
so 3 fighters missed weight for tomorrow.

fecking shame. A 20% fine on their purse is quite ludicrous. Minimum 50%.

Oliveira at 161.5 lbs... c'mon, what a joke. Hopefully he gets destroyed tomorrow.

on weight Fighters should start declining fighting this guys.

Also, what about this:

some disturbing news related Samman, but nothing concrete. Hopefully he is OK, but if he is in bad shape really, take a moment to send some positive energy his way.

justboy68

so 3 fighters missed weight for tomorrow.

fecking shame. A 20% fine on their purse is quite ludicrous. Minimum 50%.

Oliveira at 161.5 lbs... c'mon, what a joke. Hopefully he gets destroyed tomorrow.

on weight Fighters should start declining fighting this guys.

Also, what about this:

some disturbing news related Samman, but nothing concrete. Hopefully he is OK, but if he is in bad shape really, take a moment to send some positive energy his way.
That doesn't sound good. Josh Samman already endured a horrible tragedy, losing his wife shortly after they got married I believe. Heartbreaking if he's having to go through another one.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, I remember hearing about Samman suffering a terrible tragedy not long ago, don't remember exactly what it was but it was bad. Now this, I wouldn't be surprised if it's related somehow. Poor guy.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Jesus, John Lineker missed weight for Bantam Weight

No wonder he used to rarely make flyweight

Surely he should look at what Rumble has done and fight at his natural weight. He easily has enough power for featherweight.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Yeah, I remember hearing about Samman suffering a terrible tragedy not long ago, don't remember exactly what it was but it was bad. Now this, I wouldn't be surprised if it's related somehow. Poor guy.
His girlfriend died in a car crash

He came back very strong and is apparently a great motivational speaker. Also wrote a book

I'm reading this was a drug overdose and someone he was with is dead. And so far he is unresponsive.

MAaybe a bad batch of whatever they took?

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

Pscholes18

So watching Alvarez highlights....I'm not all that impressed....what kind ground game does he have? As much as i hate to say it, I think he will need it against Conor.

justboy68

Brooks in real pain with that rib. I can't even imagine having to fight with a broken rib if that's what it is.

justboy68

I hate seeing fighters who miss weight win. Then talking shit afterwards as well. feck that guy. Send him up to welterweight.

They should send him up to Welterweight to fight Rumble. Who will then miss weight by 35 pounds. See how he likes that!

justboy68

This fight is gonna be insane. I still can't believe Lineker missed weight at Bantamweight. That's just ridiculously lazy, he's like 5'2 or something.

Maxin

I come to your team n I feck things up, I'm Moyes
Hell of a fight this one!!!