The MMA thread

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Damn, she looks fecked up. She relies on her cardio and constant pressure so it doesn't look good.

GdR has shown great takedown defence but she barely fights so hard to know where she at.

Was the fight scratched?? Trying to put money on GdR but the fight doesn't show up.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Absolutely. Crying shame the above have left MMA fighting. I miss Al-Shatti and Raimondi on the A-side. Chuck is just legend.

Do you listen to the Bloody Elbow stuff? The 6th round with Zane Simon and the above bloke show name I've forgotten.
I used to listen to that and A Side but now I have less time so only listen to Co-Main Event.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If she's okay to fight then the low standards of what makes someone okay to fight is worrying.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Worst part is, he literally gave the headshot away. Dove right into it trying to start the fight off with a takedown.
It was weird, I still don't know what he had in mind. It's as if he didn't even care about looking in front of him.

Carolina Red

Staff
It was weird, I still don't know what he had in mind. It's as if he didn't even care about looking in front of him.
He clearly thought he was about to get attacked high via punches or that it was going to be a slow start and he would surprise Masvidal with his guard down and take him to the mat.

He chose poorly.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The Ladd thing is a bit cringeworthy. I wish the media were kept out of these weigh ins and allowed in the fake ones later in the day.

RedFish

As in, I don't think the public need to be viewing fighters shivering or in extreme discomfort at weigh ins. We have the fake weigh-ins later in the day.
Not sure it's a bad thing, most don't look as terrible as Ladd did fortunately. Definitely better for the fighters that bad weight cuts aren't shoved under the carpet. More worries about the medical commissioners clearance of Ladd to fight even though she will be examined shortly before the fight itself before being given the final go ahead. I can see her getting KO'd but hoping she can grind out a win.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As in, I don't think the public need to be viewing fighters shivering or in extreme discomfort at weigh ins. We have the fake weigh-ins later in the day.
One could argue that it's a good thing that the severity of the weight cuts in the sport are highlighted. The real problem is the tough cut itself, not that people know about it.

Charlie Foley

Odd take. Given that fighters themselves draw attention to what they’re putting their bodies through, why would you want to sweep it under the rug? So we can pretend a problem isn’t there?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Cejudo wants the matchup
Cejudo wants it because it's a big name that will get more money for him as opposed to fighting tougher guys will smaller names e.g. Benavidez or Aljo. If Faber can come in and get one win on his way to ANOTHER unearned title shot, I won't be surprised.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Odd take. Given that fighters themselves draw attention to what they’re putting their bodies through, why would you want to sweep it under the rug? So we can pretend a problem isn’t there?
We already have the fake weigh ins later in the day. There's no urgent need to see fighters walk out in towels or to see them disrobe in front of cameras.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That does not address anything I said :lol:
What you said doesn't address any sort of need for voyeurism of watching a contestant shivering or about to pass out for your personal entertainment. We already have plenty of behind the scenes hype up through Embedded, pre-fight pressers, fake weigh-ins etc.

JP77

Cejudo wants the matchup
Easy pay day for him. Faber is one of the bigger names in the division. It would be a joke of a fight to make though. Faber is 40 years old and will likely get comfortably beaten by any of the top fighters in the division. Catching Simon last night doesn't change that.

Luke1995

Cejudo wants it because it's a big name that will get more money for him as opposed to fighting tougher guys will smaller names e.g. Benavidez or Aljo. If Faber can come in and get one win on his way to ANOTHER unearned title shot, I won't be surprised.
If he doesn't get his wish Benavidez should be next anyway, he has a win over Henry.

Can't blame Cejudo for what he's trying to do, Mcgregor created that book and everyone read it.

Luke1995

Easy pay day for him. Faber is one of the bigger names in the division. It would be a joke of a fight to make though. Faber is 40 years old and will likely get comfortably beaten by any of the top fighters in the division. Catching Simon last night doesn't change that.
It isn't a BJ Penn situation though, Faber can still be somewhat competitive and he is very hard to finish.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
What you said doesn't address any sort of need for voyeurism of watching a contestant shivering or about to pass out for your personal entertainment. We already have plenty of behind the scenes hype up through Embedded, pre-fight pressers, fake weigh-ins etc.
I don't agree. Do you think the real fights should also be behind closed doors and the public gets shown a reenactment where noone gets hurt too? The more we get to see videos where we see fighters struggle, the faster they'll make this farce finally disappear. They should find a way to force fighters fight in the weight class they walk around on.

RedFish

I don't agree. Do you think the real fights should also be behind closed doors and the public gets shown a reenactment where noone gets hurt too? The more we get to see videos where we see fighters struggle, the faster they'll make this farce finally disappear. They should find a way to force fighters fight in the weight class they walk around on.
Agreed. Only thing is in not sure banning weight cuts is the solution. Maybe monitoring the weight cuts over agreed over a period of a few months?
There also needs to be a safety net that works. I.e not a doctor like the one who cleared Ladd to fight. That was a joke with an emphatic punch line courtesy of De Randamie.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I agree on the last bit but there’s no evidence that the UFC or sanctioning bodies would use what they see at the weigh-ins to change weight policies, especially when you consider the bulk of the drama about medical conditions brought on by weight cuts happens behind the scenes in fighter hotels, homes, saunas, and clinics etc.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I agree on the last bit but there’s no evidence that the UFC or sanctioning bodies would use what they see at the weigh-ins to change weight policies, especially when you consider the bulk of the drama about medical conditions brought on by weight cuts happens behind the scenes in fighter hotels, homes, saunas, and clinics etc.
But any exposure is better than no exposure. The UFC will probably do nothing but the more outcry from fans and media there is, at least there's a chance. If it was behind close doors, we'd have Dana coming in and spouting so much nonsense to the contrary that it would be so unbearable.

RedFish

That's where there is an opportunity to effect change. I don't want to see fighters go through that for entertainment. When I saw Ladd at the weigh in thought 'feck that' you cannot fight tomorrow! Contrary to my usual reaction cussing a fighter for being unprofessional blah Di blah.

Fighters need to know if they look unhealthy, are unhealthy pre fight at weigh in then all their hard work in training camp may just be for nothing. It may force fighters and their teams to pay more attention to healthier weight cuts.

There's loads to fathom out in terms of logistics etc but you have to start somewhere. UFC should lead by example. If they wont then preesure can be applied from other ways. To say Im disappointed the medical commisson passed Ladd fit is an extreme understatement. It's actually negligent.

Awful weight cuts have led to some wasted match ups....... JJ /Rose 1, TJ/Cejudo just 2 others in recent memory. All fighters punch drunk after 1 flush strike. Punch resistance is negligible. Add the health hazards and the situation is very precarious indeed. Now you won't eradicate it completrly, but performance and health education leading to healthy weight cuts clearly benefit everyone.

Last edited:

RedFish

But any exposure is better than no exposure. The UFC will probably do nothing but the more outcry from fans and media there is, at least there's a chance. If it was behind close doors, we'd have Dana coming in and spouting so much nonsense to the contrary that it would be so unbearable.
Spot on

cyberman

Cowboy to laugh and smile at the weigh in talking about how he's looking forward to stand and bang and get destroyed on the feet.