The MMA thread

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
That Diaz post-fight presser was great. I really hope that Masvidal fight happens.

RedFish

Stipe, what a fecking 4th round. Thought he was a sitting duck for a KO and he has to dig deeeeeep for that. Hahaha beautiful boxing!
Took time for him to get into the fight but ended it in style!

Nate Diaz, love him. Bigger man for sure. Those knees to the face. Thought ref could have stopped it but credit to Pettis he fought to the end ( unlike recently in his fights against Ferguson and what's his name when he broke his ribs).

Yoel and Costa knocking seven bells out of each other!Wanted Yoel to win, but fair play Costa he earned the win. Fight of the night.

Andersons Dietician

Question how did you guys score the Costa Romero fight?

1st round I went Costa, 3rd I went Romero 2nd wasn’t really that sure but I think I was leaning Romero. Would have to watch it again.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

1st round I went Costa, 3rd I went Romero 2nd wasn’t really that sure but I think I was leaning Romero. Would have to watch it again.
I had 1 Costa, 3 Romero and 2 probably Romero. But it could have gone either way. Not a robbery at all.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Some good fights yesterday.

Slight off topic, but does anyone else dislike Bruce Buffer's theatrics? The guy goes so over the top. He tries to make it about himself. Could learn a thing or two from his brother.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Some good fights yesterday.

Slight off topic, but does anyone else dislike Bruce Buffer's theatrics? The guy goes so over the top. He tries to make it about himself. Could learn a thing or two from his brother.
It is a bit over the top, but the fighters seem to basque in the spotlight when he's announcing them pre-fight.

RedFish

I had 1 Costa, 3 Romero and 2 probably Romero. But it could have gone either way. Not a robbery at all.
Aye, me too. Scored it for Romero as I'm a massive fanboy but it was basically a draw. On a sidenote is Romero the best fighter never to win a UFC belt?
Had it for Costa just, but could easily have gone the other way. Was so close. Wanted Romero to win big time but hey ho.

Andersons Dietician

:lol:

Nate claims he's never heard of Covington

I was wondering what belt Nate was talking about in his in ring interview with Joe. Thought he’d maybe got confused and thought he was in a title fight against Pettis but it makes sense now. Hopefully someone does make him a baddest mother trucker belt.

That fight vs Masvidal sounds :drool:

Nucks

RT History Department
Nate is a more complete fighter on both levels and would have a decent reach advantage, so I would go with Nate.
Nate's a tough fight versus any striker without absolutely devastating one punch KO power. He's also like 1-9 versus wrestlers or something disastrous, so his upside is always going to be capped by the fact he doesn't do well versus wrestlers.

Nucks

RT History Department
The thing is, I'm fairly confident, that there are Olympic wrestlers, who would kill him in an MMA fight, or at least hold him down for 25 minutes and land ineffectual GnP and win a decision, and they'd make it look easy.

Luke1995

Not sure how I feel about the Contender Series. Dana only wants guys who go for the kill, therefore downplaying other parts of the game when awarding contracts.

Dominos

The thing is, I'm fairly confident, that there are Olympic wrestlers, who would kill him in an MMA fight, or at least hold him down for 25 minutes and land ineffectual GnP and win a decision, and they'd make it look easy.
What? DC is an olympic wrestler.

Stipe could fight 3 pure wrestlers in one night and he'd finish all of them.

Rick88

What? Put an elite wrestler against a high level black belt of Jiu Jitsu, the wrestler will lose 9 times out of 10. Plus DC himself was an Olympic wrestler. Dont think you understand what level these guys are at.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
What? Put an elite wrestler against a high level black belt of Jiu Jitsu, the wrestler will lose 9 times out of 10. Plus DC himself was an Olympic wrestler. Dont think you understand what level these guys are at.
Bullshit. (unless you are talking about just a grappling match)

in MMA, the wrestler will usually beat the BJJ expert, because he can still win keeping the fight on the feet, while the BJJ would need to take the fight to the ground first, which is not easy against a top level wrestler.

Take Covington playing around with a BJJ 3rd degree black belt in RDA, or better yet, Covington dominating vs one of the best BJJ practitioner in the UFC ever (Maia).