The MMA thread

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I just can’t see how anyone beats Khabib
Be interesting to see him move up to 170 to see how he gets on there.

More than any fight though, I want to see Ferguson v Masvidal. That has greatest fight in the history of the UFC written all over it
That would actually be great to see.

DVG7

Be interesting to see him move up to 170 to see how he gets on there.

That would actually be great to see.
if the rumours about him training with heavyweights and keeping them on the ground are true, then I don’t see why he couldn’t compete and potentially dominate the division.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
if the rumours about him training with heavyweights and keeping them on the ground are true, then I don’t see why he couldn’t compete and potentially dominate the division.
I know he loves to WUM heavyweights....like he did with Werdum :lol:

Yes, since that's the primary place the UFC makes its money - from US PPV sales.
There are other markets that would boost it, he himself referenced Canada and the UK I believe

I don’t disagree though, even with the additional PPV markets.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

Definitely the fight to make (if going by the rankings). Leon Edwards would be first for me, but he is fighting Woodley for the next title shot.

Jorge needs to stop ducking now and take his L like a man. The red panty night won't happen for him.

Oggmonster

Definitely the fight to make (if going by the rankings). Leon Edwards would be first for me, but he is fighting Woodley for the next title shot.

Jorge needs to stop ducking now and take his L like a man. The red panty night won't happen for him.
I dunno if he's ducked the fight to be fair. Both fought recently and it's not been on the cards until after them fights. Have to see what happens before Saying he's ducked fights

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
If he’s not juiced up, does Jones survive that arm bar vs Belfort? Incredible strength there.

Oggmonster

If he’s not juiced up, does Jones survive that arm bar vs Belfort? Incredible strength there.
Maybe not and I've been critical of Jones in the past for his steroid use but in his defence on that one it was prime TRTor and whatever Jones had in his system I reckon Belfort had 10 times more!

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Jorge is such a little dickhead. He tried the "feck Conar, he's not on my level I won't even call that guy out". That didn't work. Now he's out there acting like a butt-hurt ex. I used to be a fan but can't stand the new Tony Montana persona he amplifies since beating Askren. It's super cringe.

Oggmonster

Jorge is such a little dickhead. He tried the "feck Conar, he's not on my level I won't even call that guy out". That didn't work. Now he's out there acting like a butt-hurt ex. I used to be a fan but can't stand the new Tony Montana persona he amplifies since beating Askren. It's super cringe.

This story from Chael he comes across as a massive wanker, if this was Jones/McGregor (or a less liked fighter) people would be up in arms about that.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Sure it's only a take from the PPV he's getting? I thought it was the usual bs, but even half of that $80m is bonkers for a UFC fighter.

Crazier still is the hype can only grow off the back of such an emphatic return. If he and Masvidal manage to fight for anything meaningful - particularly with a strap on the line that isn't 'BMF,' it'll be the biggest sell the UFC have ever had.

You can just imagine the dollar signs in Dana's eyes as he eyes up the possibilities before both Conor and Khabib call it a day.
Belts often only serve as a purpose for making average fights into big ones.

Conor fighting Masvidal for a BMF ‘belt’ is far bigger than Khabib fighting Tony for a real one for example.

Belts are just a sense of order, determining a hierarchy of ability. They have nothing to do with dollar value and PPV buys.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I can see where you are coming from. His record isn’t massively deep in terms of UFC records, but he is a champion in two weight classes and has finished extremely talented legendary fighters. If he does go out and knockout Masvidal for example, it would be tremendously impressive.

I don’t think he would beat Usman, but if he knocked out Masvidal and won the belt at 170, that would be some career.

I am not a fan by the way, I think Sam read it like that, but to do what he did to Cerrone in 40 seconds, is lethal. His standup is quality.

That in no way means that I think he is a better MMA fighter than Khabib, I don’t think that at all.

But I can be objective enough to admire the skills he does have. He isn’t a trained boxer, it’s a completely different sport.

What he did against Mayweather, would be like Bolt going to United and scoring 20 goals in a season. Boxing is a completely different discipline with a completely different style of training. It’s another sport entirely.

He has been an awful human being at times, but it’s self defeating to not give him plaudits on what he does do well.

I still think Usman or Khabib have too much for him.
Don’t be such a Fanny. It would be more like Bolt going to United and playing in the final 3 minutes of a testimonial.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Belts often only serve as a purpose for making average fights into big ones.

Conor fighting Masvidal for a BMF ‘belt’ is far bigger than Khabib fighting Tony for a real one for example.

Belts are just a sense of order, determining a hierarchy of ability. They have nothing to do with dollar value and PPV buys.
Belts add to the promotional and hype aspect - when Conor was '2 weight champion' he was a promotional dream because he was a champ of two divisions whilst running his mouth and doing all the groundwork to sell the fights.

I agree with you in the main though, but the bigger names who are natural sellers gain an added element if they're holding a strap, too. People also tune in hoping the heel types with straps lose.

Everything being on the line (strap) + personalities/popularity + rivalry/animosity = PPV gold.

You can remove the strap from that and still get a large sell, but adding it to the mix, and you've got dynamite.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Don’t be such a Fanny. It would be more like Bolt going to United and playing in the final 3 minutes of a testimonial.
:lol: Whatever bud. I think you are showing a massive misunderstanding of how good top level boxers are at their profession.

It was an impressive showing against one of the very best boxers of all time. It would be absurd for most people to try it.

Your next post about belts and giving any value at all to the piece of crap BMF belt shows who the fanny is :D

UnrelatedPsuedo

:lol: Whatever bud. I think you are showing a massive misunderstanding of how good top level boxers are at their profession.

It was an impressive showing against one of the very best boxers of all time. It would be absurd for most people to try it.

Your next post about belts and giving any value at all to the piece of crap BMF belt shows who the fanny is :D
It was pantomime.

Maluco

Why do a lot of people not like Kamaru Usman?
Do you ever watch those MMAreport videos on YouTube, that show clips of interviews and the like?

Everytime he appears in those, he is so dull. He just drones on and on, and it’s hard to listen to for 5 minutes, never mind the hours and hours he posts for on Snapchat or Instagram or whatever.

He is extremely gifted, but he is another level of boring. I usually wouldn’t mind because I can appreciate lots of different styles, but that, combined with his style, aren’t going to make him a popular fighter.

RedTiger

Half mast
Do you ever watch those MMAreport videos on YouTube, that show clips of interviews and the like.

Everytine he appears in those, he is so dull. He just drones on and on, and it’s hard to listen to for 5 minutes, never mind the hours and hours he posts for.

He is extremely gifted, but he is another level of boring. I usually wouldn’t mind because I can appreciate lots of different styles, but that, combined with his style, aren’t going to make him a popular fighter.
The boring and droning on thing is what I seem to be reading from people. To be honest, I've never really heard him for more than 10 minutes but he comes across as a soft spoken guy to me... Perhaps I should listen to a proper interview.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Do you ever watch those MMAreport videos on YouTube, that show clips of interviews and the like?

Everytime he appears in those, he is so dull. He just drones on and on, and it’s hard to listen to for 5 minutes, never mind the hours and hours he posts for on Snapchat or Instagram or whatever.

Then why do people like Masvidal? That interview at the PPV.....

"Violence....yeah....Violence......Violence......Violence."

What a twat.

Maluco

Then why do people like Masvidal? That interview at the PPV.....

"Violence....yeah....Violence......Violence......Violence."

What a twat.
They think he is cool, I guess. Facade is starting to break apart now. When he was being natural and effortlessly coming out with “three piece and a soda” and “super necessary”, it was funny enough. Exciting knockouts and authentic tough guy.

The robe was verging on parody and he has bought into this “Scarface” persona now. He needs to be careful what he does next.

predator

Youth NITK
Why do a lot of people not like Kamaru Usman?
I used to find him uncharasmatic but having watched interviews/social media posts with him etc I've changed that. His consideration for nigeria, his calmness and the sheer fact he is a monster in the octagon gets my vote.

I used to find Colby irritating but at the same time had suspicions that the whole 'USA!' thing was an act. It turns out that it is an act, and from what I've seen in a few interviews, it's sad that he has to resort to that to get Dana's approval.

Personally I enjoy seeing a great fight followed by mutual respect. Some of the trash talk cheapens the actual sport of MMA. McGregor's comments towards Khabib for example were just plain racist and would see him arrested in public.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I surprised anyone who has watched both of their recent fights thought JDS would have a chance against Blaydes. JDS has been in sharp decline of late while Curtis has been on the rise. He's definitely ready for a title shot now imo.

Oggmonster

I surprised anyone who has watched both of their recent fights thought JDS would have a chance against Blaydes. JDS has been in sharp decline of late while Curtis has been on the rise. He's definitely ready for a title shot now imo.
Yeah seems they were giving Blaydes a big name win to enhance his CV really. Pretty routine win.

Not sure if Covington be ready in July think if he is he beats Chiesa pretty easily though. RDA needs to go back down to LW for me don't think he will do much at WW