The MMA thread

Luke1995

Bloody Elbow has been writing alot of articles attacking the UFC and questioning Dana White in general, while MMA Fighting has choosen a more quiet approach

Since both websites are from Vox Media why they have such different actions ?

Also, in your opinion, does the media in general holds a grudge towards Dana or are they just doing the right thing ?

kidbob

Talk is that Tony is going to fight Gathje. Absolute bullshit to be honest and you just know that Justin is going to knock him out and that will be it for Tony vs Khabib.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
What a fecking disgrace. Should have postponed the fight ffs.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Could have gone with Conor vs Gaethje instead.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

What a fecking disgrace. Should have postponed the fight ffs.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Could have gone with Conor vs Gaethje instead.
Yeah, it's ridiculous.

I think they gonna make Khabib vs Conor II for UFC251 or something.

Last edited:

JP77

As much as I wanted Khabib/Ferguson, this fight instead is going to be absolutely awesome. Two tough as they come dudes throwing everything at each other, I think we've got a great fight on our hands.

Can't wait to see Andrade/Rose 2 as well. Hopefully Rose gets her revenge, I think she beats Andrade this time.

That's a pretty sick card.

justboy68

The private island thing is amazing. :lol:

Proving once again how MMA is just a little (a lot) crazier than other sports.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Not sure how this might actually happen. I had been ignoring it along the way assuming it would never come together....but now it looks like it is?

Also noticed WWE had Wrestlemania over the weekend, how did that work? Looks like Vince McMahon and Dana saw dollar signs. I imagine a lot of eyes will be watching due to lockdowns around the world

Oldyella

It's a great card, but still feels weird that they are going ahead while other sports are not.

poleglass red

No Tony vs Khabib sucks but this will still be incredible, hoping for an all out war
that would be most people's assertion, myself included, but on paper, Gaethje v Ferguson stylistically should be a much more exciting fight. We know Gaethje will go out swinging, and we've seen Ferguson in past fights, he leaves his chin up exposed at times. You'd have to heavily favour Ferguson, with full camp etc and I just think technically he's a better fighter, but Gaethje will get chances, it's whether or not he can land at the right time.

RedFish

that would be most people's assertion, myself included, but on paper, Gaethje v Ferguson stylistically should be a much more exciting fight. We know Gaethje will go out swinging, and we've seen Ferguson in past fights, he leaves his chin up exposed at times. You'd have to heavily favour Ferguson, with full camp etc and I just think technically he's a better fighter, but Gaethje will get chances, it's whether or not he can land at the right time.
The new Geathje is far from reckless like the one against Poirier. Both will land , but I think Ferguson will land more often finish on top.

Hate to it in some ways, they're two of my favourite fighters!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Trying to decide which one of Tony's last 9 opponents Gaethje's face will eventually resemble the most.

poleglass red

The new Geathje is far from reckless like the one against Poirier. Both will land , but I think Ferguson will land more often finish on top.

Hate to it in some ways, they're two of my favourite fighters!
maybe, but he hasn't been in the latter rounds since that Poirer fight, all his fights since then have finished in 1st. He has looked very composed in those fights, but you go into later rounds with a cardio machine like Ferguson esp coming of a short camp, you could see a revert to type. He hasn't really been in all war since those 2 losses on the spin v Alvarez and Poirer. Ferguson's output can be relentless, but as I say, at times he can leave himself open, if Gaethje can stay calm he'll get a chance to land on the button at some point, but I agree Ferguson will outstrike him

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I don't think it will be the event Dana envisages. EG: Im a 'casual' and am not arsed by any of the fights on this card.

For it to be truly badass and a breathless audacious move, it had to be Tony/Khabib or even better Khabib/Conar. Either would have made the whole world stop and watch.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
:lol: Private Island...FFS

Does anyone really give a feck who is fighting? It's live sport!
No Tony vs Khabib sucks but this will still be incredible, hoping for an all out war
Certainly enhances UFS as a complete badass sport. Not sure if thats a good or a horrific look for non UFC fans during this crisis.

Seems odd to want to watch guys trying to kill each other at a time when the entire world is in lockdown solely to stop some people being killed!

Last edited:

Luke1995

A few things I picked up on mma websites worth noting:

- If there is no athletic comission, there is no drug testing ?

- What happens if someone can't fly after fighting on that island ? Will they even have food and water over there ?

- What if a fight goes to a decision ? Will there be anyone licensed to score it ?

- What if someone gets the Corona in the Island and flies back alongside the others ?

- If fighters need to go to hospital after the Island, what about all the old people and children who will be there ?

- If this goes really bad, will Dana be kicked out of UFC ?

Ole90+3

I don't think it will be the event Dana envisages. EG: Im a 'casual' and am not arsed by any of the fights on this card.

For it to be truly badass and a breathless audacious move, it had to be Tony/Khabib or even better Khabib/Conar. Either would have made the whole world stop and watch.
True that this main event is mainly for the UFC fans rather than the casuals. Personally Tony/Justin is way more intriguing than a Khabib/Conor rematch, and I'd say most UFC fans would agree. The whole card is absolutely stacked, any of the top 5 fights could easily headline a UFC Fight Night event. Having said that, Luke Thomas made the point that you are alluding to; that neither Tony or Justin has the number pull that Khabib has proven to have (granted, mainly v Conor).

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
A few things I picked up on mma websites worth noting:

- If there is no athletic comission, there is no drug testing ?

I believe that is the case but USADA can step in any time?

- What happens if someone can't fly after fighting on that island ? Will they even have food and water over there ?

They'll have to eat grass and drink sea water. So an average Tony Ferguson meal.

- What if a fight goes to a decision ? Will there be anyone licensed to score it ?

Does it matter? MMA judging is so bad, I'd rather they just flip a coin.

- What if someone gets the Corona in the Island and flies back alongside the others ?

The UFC will be slated by the media and Dana will defend his decision saying "you're all cowardly pathetic morons" or something along those lines.

- If fighters need to go to hospital after the Island, what about all the old people and children who will be there ?

Imagine the look on the Doctor's face if this happens :lol:

- If this goes really bad, will Dana be kicked out of UFC ?

Never. He IS the UFC.
Hope that helps.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Sure. There are so many ways this can go wrong. Cage Warriors also is trying to get a secret location. MMA is truly the most selfish sport in the entire world
I completely agree with you but from their point of view, as MMA is such a new sport, the athletes don't have the same nest of money stashed as like a football player. Still, it's ridiculous.

Luke1995

I completely agree with you but from their point of view, as MMA is such a new sport, the athletes don't have the same nest of money stashed as like a football player. Still, it's ridiculous.
In the UFC they absolutely should have. I don't know for how long you has been following mma (I don't say this as a offense, I truly mean it) but if you know enough about Dana and the Fertittas, they have been underpaying these guys since the start.

Even Mcgregor doesn't get the money he deserves although he gets much more than the rest of them. That bald weirdo got more than everyone.

I guess the fighters have a different mindset than most of human beings do.

If you was still coming out of high school and trying to figure out what you will do with the rest of your time, would you even entertain putting your body through a training camp ? It takes alot to do that, let alone fight..

I know I wouldn't, no matter how many times I dreamed of having that gold around my waist and showing up to all these press conferences.

So, maybe they see going to a Island in the middle of a global disease as just a test of their manhood

Luke1995

You guys saw the story on Anthony Smith fighting a ramdom stranger who broke into his house ?

Smith said the guy weighed about 170 pounds but still kept coming at him, which sounds insane to me

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
In the UFC they absolutely should have. I don't know for how long you has been following mma (I don't say this as a offense, I truly mean it) but if you know enough about Dana and the Fertittas, they have been underpaying these guys since the start.

Even Mcgregor doesn't get the money he deserves although he gets much more than the rest of them. That bald weirdo got more than everyone.

I guess the fighters have a different mindset than most of human beings do.

If you was still coming out of high school and trying to figure out what you will do with the rest of your time, would you even entertain putting your body through a training camp ? It takes alot to do that, let alone fight..

I know I wouldn't, no matter how many times I dreamed of having that gold around my waist and showing up to all these press conferences.

So, maybe they see going to a Island in the middle of a global disease as just a test of their manhood
Been watching since around 2008, no offense taken. I agree with you. Their fighters are massively underpaid and then lost their sponsorship whilst that bald prick keeps cashing in.