The MMA thread

Oggmonster

Woodley is finished. 38 now. That's enough. He's never going to beat the younger guys .
Yeah he's hugely frustrating to watch just does nothing at all. Even when he needed a KO in the 5th he was still backing against the cage. I think he'd rather lose on points than risk winning the fight by stoppage and getting KOed

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Woodley is done. He can't coast against these younger fighters. Might as well focus on his "rap" career.

He's so lucky the Covington fight didn't happen. Colby would walk out to this track and embarrass him in the octagon.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If I'm Dana, i would get rid of Woodley after that performance. He's 38, losing interest and ability, and is probably more interested in "building his brand, than fighting. Let him go since there are are plenty of quality contenders at WW.

RedFish

If I'm Dana, i would get rid of Woodley after that performance. He's 38, losing interest and ability, and is probably more interested in "building his brand, than fighting. Let him go since there are are plenty of quality contenders at WW.
Yeah, but former champ and all that. Ideally, Woodley would just leave by 'mutual agreement' . Would be a shame for him to suffer the ignominy of being cut.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah, but former champ and all that. Ideally, Woodley would just leave by 'mutual agreement' . Would be a shame for him to suffer the ignominy of being cut.
I doubt he would be cut, even though I think its worth considering. That said, Dana did get rid of Mighty Mouse when he was at (or near) his peak. If Woodley gets placed into #5 or 6 in the WW contenders list then I can't see him sticking around for too much longer.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I doubt he would be cut, even though I think its worth considering. That said, Dana did get rid of Mighty Mouse when he was at (or near) his peak. If Woodley gets placed into #5 or 6 in the WW contenders list then I can't see him sticking around for too much longer.
Dana will use Woodley's name to raise awareness to others fighters that are less known. He knows he is finished at the top level.

It was supposed to be Edwards, but Durinho leapfrogged him thanks to the pandemic. I think Woodley will fight Leon next.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It's a different case. Dana knew MM could get that belt back after he lost it and would carry on dominating fighters whilst not bringing in the eyeballs. If he didn't give MM a title shot, MM would simply stick around destroying contenders. The plan at that time also seemed to be to end that division, which couldn't be justified with MM still around. Finally, it also allowed Dana to get Askren in, who stirred so many fighters up and was good for WW division.

Woodley looks shot so other fighters can slap him up and get some of that rub of beating a former champion. If Woodley miraculously wakes up, there's always fights he can take that can be big, like Covington.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's a different case. Dana knew MM could get that belt back after he lost it and would carry on dominating fighters whilst not bringing in the eyeballs. If he didn't give MM a title shot, MM would simply stick around destroying contenders. The plan at that time also seemed to be to end that division, which couldn't be justified with MM still around. Finally, it also allowed Dana to get Askren in, who stirred so many fighters up and was good for WW division.

Woodley looks shot so other fighters can slap him up and get some of that rub of beating a former champion. If Woodley miraculously wakes up, there's always fights he can take that can be big, like Covington.
Mighty Mouse lost to Cejudo, at a time when Henry was reaching his peak, so there was no indication he would've beaten him in a third fight. He was simply an uninteresting personality in the two divisions with the smallest fighters that have historically not been nearly as popular as the heavier divisions. I doubt Dana will cut Woodley since he can still use him for another year or two to build depth on future cards, but in all fairness, it would be like watching the likes of Rashad, Lyoto, and Anderson Silva at the very tail end of their careers.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Mighty Mouse lost to Cejudo, at a time when Henry was reaching his peak, so there was no indication he would've beaten him in a third fight. He was simply an uninteresting personality in the two divisions with the smallest fighters that have historically not been nearly as popular as the heavier divisions. I doubt Dana will cut Woodley since he can still use him for another year or two to build depth on future cards, but in all fairness, it would be like watching the likes of Rashad, Lyoto, and Anderson Silva at the very tail end of their careers.
Apart from the bold part, what you're saying is the same as what I said.

But for the bolded part, MM completely destroyed Cejudo first time. The second time was so close, with most fans thinking MM won. I think a third would have went to MM.

kidbob

Don't know how to embed tweets but supposedlyJones has relinquished his title because of anger at his pay. Pretty big news if true and possibly an indication that high profile fighters are losing patience with the UFC over this issue. Him and Ngannou both seemed to back each other in that the money being offered was a big stumbling block in making that fight. Now Francis would knock Jones' head off, most likely, but its interesting to see him back Jones on the money issue over the fight. Perhaps it highlights that DJ was being honest when he felt he was being undervalued to fight TJ (DJ fought Cruz at BW when he was still working a second job, I doubt he was 'scared' of TJ) and there is murmurs of Usman being unhappy with his pay.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Apart from the bold part, what you're saying is the same as what I said.

But for the bolded part, MM completely destroyed Cejudo first time. The second time was so close, with most fans thinking MM won. I think a third would have went to MM.
Yeah but Cejudo ended up being far better than MM in the end - two division champ who retired on top.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Its a rumour on the web that ufc fighters which are not top 10 of most divisions get paid in turds. Since the sport has grown so much in the last few years, with the inability of bring your own sponsors to fight nights, maybe is the proper time for fighters to strike or unionize or anything along the lines. Ive read that reebok pays around $2k to less known fighters per fight. Its ridiculous considering whats is at stake, also paying your training team and all that.

Luke1995

Jones to Bellator would actually be pretty interesting. Madness if Dana releases him from contract though.

I believe Jones is telling the truth, but both of them could be lying. Doubt they will settle it.

Luke1995

Its a rumour on the web that ufc fighters which are not top 10 of most divisions get paid in turds. Since the sport has grown so much in the last few years, with the inability of bring your own sponsors to fight nights, maybe is the proper time for fighters to strike or unionize or anything along the lines. Ive read that reebok pays around $2k to less known fighters per fight. Its ridiculous considering whats is at stake, also paying your training team and all that.
You might be interested in a few articles about fighter pay

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/6/...much-does-jon-jones-make-fighting-for-the-ufc

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/6/30/5846330/ufc-monopoly-panel-discussion-paul-gift-david-dudley

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/3/...rgaining-what-would-benefit-fighters-more-mma

It's very helpful to understand why the fighter pay, specially in UFC, is as low as it is

RedFish

You may have seen this as well. Luke's done a few vids with this guy.

stevoc

MM is in the GOAT conversation, Cejudo is not in the same class. Just got the roll.of the dice in some key fights IMHO.
I can't stand the guy but lets be fair here he hasn't just been lucky. In his last 4 fights he's beat the best Flyweight in history, arguably the best Bantamweight in history, beat the Bantamweight champion (who was juiced) and won two titles in the process.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
MM is in the GOAT conversation, Cejudo is not in the same class. Just got the roll.of the dice in some key fights IMHO.
I wouldn't have MM in the goat convo just as I wouldn't have Aldo in it. Aldo, hadn't lost in 10 years pre-Conor and was king of his division for the same time as MM was of his. Cejudo beat MM, Dillishaw, and Dom Cruz - three champs in different divisions, which means he will be remembered very well compared to the others.

George Owen

I wouldn't have MM in the goat convo just as I wouldn't have Aldo in it. Aldo, hadn't lost in 10 years pre-Conor and was king of his division for the same time as MM was of his. Cejudo beat MM, Dillishaw, and Dom Cruz - three champs in different divisions, which means he will be remembered very well compared to the others.
Marketing wise, Cejudo will be remembered higher. Add the gold medal.

But sporting wise, you have to dissect his wins.

TJ was looking like a rat down at 125. Probably not even at 50% of his real level.
Cruz washed up. Looked slow and old. Inactivity and injuries have him not even close to his best level.

In a sport of inches, you have to factor it all in.

Moraes was his best victory IMO. His golden patch lasted around 2.5 years while MM was at the top for like 8 years.

if he were to fight MM again and win, then yeah I think he would leapfrog him. (for me at least)

RedFish

I can't stand the guy but lets be fair here he hasn't just been lucky. In his last 4 fights he's beat the best Flyweight in history, arguably the best Bantamweight in history, beat the Bantamweight champion (who was juiced) and won two titles in the process.
Okay. I knew this was coming.

His resume is outstanding and he deserves lavish praise for his victories in the last 4 fights.

However, the MM decision was naff. Not to weigh in too heavily on the stats but he outlanded Cejudo 121-80 (total strikes) and 81-51 (significant strikes). Cejudo took down MM 3 times but did nothing with the TDs.

The Dillashaw fight was super disappointing. Can't believe it wasnt the weight cut that did for TJ. Bore no resemblance to the fighter we saw at Bantamweight.

Moraes....fair enough, that was impressive be to take everything Moraes had and take the victory.

Cruz - well it was a pipe dream for Cruz and I was willing to be fully on board. Shame for fans, and for Cruz obviously, but it the cold light of reality, no surprise.

RedFish

He will be remembered very favourably, absolutely. Took his opportunities, got it give him that.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Marketing wise, Cejudo will be remembered higher. Add the gold medal.

But sporting wise, you have to dissect his wins.

TJ was looking like a rat down at 125. Probably not even at 50% of his real level.
Cruz washed up. Looked slow and old. Inactivity and injuries have him not even close to his best level.

In a sport of inches, you have to factor it all in.

Moraes was his best victory IMO. His golden patch lasted around 2.5 years while MM was at the top for like 8 years.

if he were to fight MM again and win, then yeah I think he would leapfrog him. (for me at least)
I don't think him fighting DJ again now would matter. He's been fighting in a lesser league where he is having trouble putting lesser opponents away. My main point earlier is that DJ shouldn't be in any goat discussions anymore than Aldo should.

George Owen

I don't think him fighting DJ again now would matter. He's been fighting in a lesser league where he is having trouble putting lesser opponents away. My main point earlier is that DJ shouldn't be in any goat discussions anymore than Aldo should.
Fair enough. I misread, I thought we were talking about the GOAT of the flyweight division only.

Man, I hate the term GOAT, should be the GOHE (greatest of his era).