The MMA thread

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why's Saturday's fights on so early? Main card starts at 11 am in my time zone. Previous fight island events were on much later.
Probably because Khabib has a large following in and around that time zone and many there wouldn't be able to watch the fight if it was on very late.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Probably because Khabib has a large following in and around that time zone and many there wouldn't be able to watch the fight if it was on very late.
Ahh, that makes sense. Forgot about the Khabib factor. Crazy thinking that UFC 253's main card a few weeks ago started at 6 am local time :eek:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Yeah and we were better than Spurs.
McGregor has gone Trump crazy on Twitter last few hours trying to bait Khabib into responding with deluded and ridiculous claims.

for a man who is supposedly the epicentre of MMA, he really is desperate in trying to steal some of sunlight khabib and Gaethe are bathing in this week.

No-one aside from a few other Irish cokeheads give a shit about him anymore and he can’t handle it.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Oooh... I don't have to wake up inn the middle of the night for this one?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Does Gaethje stand a chance against Khabib? He's an All-American in wrestling, isn't he?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
This one is a beautiful piece of filmmaking.
Some people in the comments saying it's the best ever pre fight video.

Amazing. Love the two of them. This is how you build a fight without the WWE trash-talk bullshit. Just two guys at the top of their game.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Does Gaethje stand a chance against Khabib? He's an All-American in wrestling, isn't he?
I think this could be Khabib's toughest fight. Gaethje doesn't use his wrestling much but it will be tough to man-handle him as he's an all-american wrestler. Hits like a truck too and the only way to beat this guy is to stop him as his work-rate will probably mean you don't want to go to a decision with him.

I still think Khabib will win but this will not be a cake-walk like his previous fights seem to be.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think this could be Khabib's toughest fight. Gaethje doesn't use his wrestling much but it will be tough to man-handle him as he's an all-american wrestler. Hits like a truck too and the only way to beat this guy is to stop him as his work-rate will probably mean you don't want to go to a decision with him.

I still think Khabib will win but this will not be a cake-walk like his previous fights seem to be.
Gaethe also has amazing stamina and cardio and can fight hard into 5th round?

Oggmonster

Amazing. Love the two of them. This is how you build a fight without the WWE trash-talk bullshit. Just two guys at the top of their game.
True....although it took about 2 minutes of embedded for it to be Russia vs America which is pretty WWF (more importantly and much better though Rocky)

poleglass red

as experienced as both fighters are, they haven't much experience going into the 5th rnd, one fight for each.
The fitness will be key, Justin faded in some epic toe to toe wars, but this fight won't be that. Khabib took a breather in the 3rd round v Conor in a fight he was dominating, can he afford to do that with Justin. Justin early in v Tony was trying to too hard to land the power punch, his corner had to tell him to reign it in and land the clean shots instead. He was a bit careless in that 2nd round, an out of sorts Tony caught him flush, being that careless v Khabib and you're taken down. Intriguing fight, grappling with Khabib will be very taxing, I see a good fight but Khabib stops him in 4th for me.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
True....although it took about 2 minutes of embedded for it to be Russia vs America which is pretty WWF (more importantly and much better though Rocky)
Yeah so true! But that's the UFC for you. Both fighters have said it's nothing to do with nation vs. nation but the UFC won't let it drop.

JP77

Hope Gaethje wins but have a feeling Khabib is going to maul him for five rounds. I just don't think Gaethje is as great as a lot of people think. Absolutely brilliant fighter to watch though.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm usually desperate to see such dominant people in sport taken down a peg but I like Khabib a lot and hope he wins. But will be throwing a little on Gaethje to win by TKO at 9/2.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I don’t think he has a great chance. Never rule anything out but my bet would be a 5 round mauling by Khabib. I don’t think he will finish him though

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I don’t think he has a great chance. Never rule anything out but my bet would be a 5 round mauling by Khabib. I don’t think he will finish him though
That'll be a first. Don't think Gaethje has ever lost by decision. He even said "the only way to beat me is to put me to sleep because you're never gonna outwork me"

kidbob

That'll be a first. Don't think Gaethje has ever lost by decision. He even said "the only way to beat me is to put me to sleep because you're never gonna outwork me"
Thing is that it's hard to get to work if your on your back for 80% of the fight. I think Justin has a fair chance especially with the happenings in Khabib's life over the recent months. The most likely scenario is that he gets taken down and Khabib tires him out by round 2 and then it's a case of if Khabib submits him or not. What Justin does have is great leg kicks though so it'll be interesting to see if he throws them as much with the threat of the takedown there. Also interested to see if his go forward style is enough to stop him getting pushed to the fence. If so he has a good chance of winning. However that's the only game plan to beat Khabib that exists and no one has been able to stop it. The guy literally dived at McGregor's ankle at the start of the first fight and even though Conor initially defended well, he ended up on his back all the same.

Really looking forward to Whittaker and Cannonier but unfortunately think Jared knocks him out. Although Rob has beaten almost all the top guys outside of Izzy, I feel like the Romero fights and injuries have maybe taken something out of him.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Do you think he will tap if khabib gets him into a deadly lock?

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Poor Leon Edwards. From having a title eliminator fight scheduled, to being removed from the rankings because of inactivity.

edit: oh boy..

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Do you think he will tap if khabib gets him into a deadly lock?
Justin is more likely to go out on his shield I reckon.

Poor Leon Edwards. From having a title eliminator fight scheduled, to being removed from the rankings because of inactivity.

edit: oh boy..

Well Wonderboy wanted to fight him and he declined.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He definitely has a chance. The key issue will be whether he deals with Khabib shooting and grabbing his leg and when taken down, how he deals with the constant pressure. He can knock Khabib out if he can keep the fight standing up.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He definitely has a chance. The key issue will be whether he deals with Khabib shooting and grabbing his leg and when taken down, how he deals with the constant pressure. He can knock Khabib out if he can keep the fight standing up.
You think khabib will dance toe to toe and trade punches with him?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You think khabib will dance toe to toe and trade punches with him?
Probably not since that is Gaethje's strength and would risk Khabib getting KO'd. He will almost certainly feign a few punches to distract Gaethje from worrying about being taken down, then shoot at him and grab his leg. Pretty much as Khabib always does. The question is how Gaethje reacts once Khabib grabs his leg to secure the take down.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Probably not since that is Gaethje's strength and would risk Khabib getting KO'd. He will almost certainly feign a few punches to distract Gaethje from worrying about being taken down, then shoot at him and grab his leg. Pretty much as Khabib always does. The question is how Gaethje reacts once Khabib grabs his leg to secure the take down.
It was very surprising to me that neither Gaethje nor Tony did any wrestling or floor work in their fight.

But yeah, I still remember feeling abit sick watching Gaethje violent punches and kicks on Tony in that fight.

how does khabib chin compare to Tony? I guess no one knows because it’s never ever been close to being tested?

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It was very surprised to me that neither Gaethje nor Tony did any wrestler or floor work in their fight.

But yeah, I still remember feeling abit sick watching Gaethje violent punches and kicks on Tony in that fight.

how does khabib chin compare to Tony? I guess no one knows because it’s never ever been close to being tested?
His chin hasn't really been adequately tested yet imo. And testing it against a powerful striker like Gaethje probably isn't the best idea. He should focus on doing what he does best - taking the opponent to the ground then mauling them.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Fighters cutting weight. I dont understand why they dont train at fighting weight!

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
But Khabib is not going to box with him. If he takes him down, it may well be over then.
Khabib has to stand up to get in. Gaethje is very dangerous in the pocket and he's a high level wrestler in his own right. His takedown defensive is strong; obviously Khabib is the ultimate test of that, but it doesn't come without serious risk for Khabib.

For a long time, this was the type of fighter who was seen as the proper test for Khabib. It mightn't work out that way and he may get mauled, but I doubt it. Gaethje is about the most game fighter Khabib will ever face, stupidly so, even, so he'll go out on his shield no matter what and Khabib will have to be extremely clean to come out of this fight with a comprehensive win.

If it is a war, I fancy Gaethje, also.

I'm curious about Khabib's approach to the fight, tbh. Will be surprised if anything different comes from Gaethje, but yeah, if he is taken down a few times, it will also be interesting to see how he copes with that.