The MMA thread

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Has someone hacked Conor's account ?

Think we all need to be prepared for his “redemption” ark, and more “nice-guy/respect” stuff like this.

Keefy18

Nice of Dana to give Conor an easy fight against someone who has lost their last two and 6 of his past 10.
Easy?

I'm absolutely convinced Cowboy takes this. He'll either spark him or choke and tap McNugget out.

I'm loving these odds bookies are giving Cowboy, I think I'll be putting a decent wager on Cowboy for the win.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Easy?

I'm absolutely convinced Cowboy takes this. He'll either spark him or choke and tap McNugget out.

I'm loving these odds bookies are giving Cowboy, I think I'll be putting a decent wager on Cowboy for the win.
Easy in terms of the other alternatives where Conor would almost certainly lose (Khabib/Tony etc). Another Conor loss would tank his PPV marketability in future fights, so they are giving him an easy one in fighting an ageing Cowboy.

Keefy18

Easy in terms of the other alternatives where Conor would almost certainly lose (Khabib/Tony etc). Another Conor loss would tank his PPV marketability in future fights, so they are giving him an easy one in fighting an ageing Cowboy.
I think that's pretty much in a steady decline.

He's absolutely despised here in Ireland now after not one but two rape accusations, then we've the abuse of the elderly man in the bar. Throw in the rest of the scumbag feck wittery the last 2 years and pretty much everyone wants to see Cowboy permanently retire him.

Cowboy clearly has the power advantage here in the striking, Conor might still better him with movement / technique... it'll be interesting to see how far Conor has fallen.
Cowboy has a clear advantage on the mat also. For all the improvements in Conor's take down defence he's still well off many of his US counterparts.

I think folks forget how dangerous Cowboy is working from his back as well.

Even if Cowboy is ageing, he's still fought regularly and I think he'll have a distinct advantage in that sense also.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Has someone hacked Conor's account ?

Although if Aldo performs terribly after a high profile MMA fighter like McGregor has publicly said he should be on top of his game then it makes Aldo look a chump.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Weird decision... Did not look like a draw to me.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
And ROZENSTRUIK!! (SMASH!) hit him so hard he tore his face open! That'll be a permanent scar once sewn back together.

My goodness that power is phenomenal. And he takes punches like they aren't even there.

If he and N'Gannou ever match up, we'll either get an absolute bore fest, or the shattering of a city as hands collide! :lol:

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
And ROZENSTRUIK!! (SMASH!) hit him so hard he tore his face open! That'll be a permanent scar once sewn back together.

My goodness that power is phenomenal. And he takes punches like they aren't even there.

If he and N'Gannou ever match up, we'll either get an absolute bore fest, or the shattering of a city as hands collide! :lol:

Yeah. The Lewis fight was also expected to be fireworks, and it was the worst fight in UFC history. Hopefully this one will be different.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Yeah. The Lewis fight was also expected to be fireworks, and it was the worst fight in UFC history. Hopefully this one will be different.
What's interesting is N'Gannou probably hits harder, but I'm not sure he has the chin of ROZENSTRUIK so any 50/50 exchange would be fascinating.

N'Gannou has bigger fish to fry than ROZEN... - ok, enough capitalisation - and should not really be fighting 'down', but Dana might think differently, or N'Gannou might be bold enough to risk title derailment by facing a legitimate threat he might be prudent to avoid until he has to face him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Also Rozenstruik was probably going to lose a narrow decision on points if not for the improbable last second KO against an ageing Overeem, so I don't think he is nearly ready to face someone like Ngannou. Let's see how he does against a Derrick Lewis or a Walt Harris before fast tracking him to the very top of the division.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Also Rozenstruik was probably going to lose a narrow decision on points if not for the improbable last second KO against an ageing Overeem, so I don't think he is nearly ready to face someone like Ngannou. Let's see how he does against a Derrick Lewis or a Walt Harris before fast tracking him to the very top of the division.
Agree. he should be a couple of fights off facing high-end HWs, but if Dana likes the sound of it, or N'Gannou asks for the fight, he is likely to get it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Has any fighter in the history of the UFC been as guilty of snatching defeats from the jaws of victory as Alastair Overeem?

This guy is a master of doing all the right things... until he doesn't, for no particular reason, at some point in the fight and gets his head knocked off. It's unbelievable how many times Overeem decides not to see a fight through to the end.

His trainers must despair. One wonders where an Overeem without the concentration lapses, overconfidence and plain stupidity would sit in the division.

Oggmonster

There has hardly been any build up.
True, usually watch the Embedded's, BT Sport interviews etc not bothered with any of it me.

I think part of the problem with the build up is Covington is impossible to watch for me and the rest are really dull personalities to spend time watching. I'll still watch the fight obviously as it's actually a really good card, just kind of slips my mind until at least Saturday when don't watch any of the build up.