The MMA thread

RedCanadian

RatCat freak
"In the offseason, my mustache drives the Fir
EspadaYdaga said:
saw that too.... it's a pity when fights finish so quick but liddell did the business.... it was babalu's fault really, he should have been more cautious against someone who strikes like liddell
That's what I thought, but I knew he was going to try and stand up with him. I watched the preview show and Babalu kept talking about working on his boxing.

EspadaYdaga

Inbred
RedCanadian said:
That's what I thought, but I knew he was going to try and stand up with him. I watched the preview show and Babalu kept talking about working on his boxing.
looks like he needs to work on it some more
tito v liddell 2 should be good

EspadaYdaga

Inbred
i want to see that... is silva the guy who arm barred bob sapp after being slammed on his head by him?

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
Totally lost track of UFC - used to love watching it.

Last time I saw it ''The Iceman'' Liddell was champ.

Is Matt Hughes still champ at his weight? He seemed to win every time I watched him.

EspadaYdaga

Inbred
gsp is one of my favourites.. he would be fighting hughes next but he got injured... hopefully hughes will beat penn so we can see gsp v hughes rematch

RedCanadian

RatCat freak
Penn is like a rubber man, which is what Hughes had a problem with in their first match. I can't stand Hughes, but I would rather see GSP beat him for the title than see another GSP-Penn fight. Penn hit him with one punch in the entire match and broke his nose, other than that he didn't do anything. I was actually disappointed in that fight.

UBERScholes

I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai
Was watching UFC all the time whilst at work these past two weeks, shame to hear Liddel beat Sobral, I was hoping the latter would win. That de Wees fight on ultimate fighter was different class though, couldn't believe how much blood was pouring out of him, I've watched UFC occasionally over the years and always been disappointed by how little blood would be shed. I missed the show yesterday for feck sake, I'm liking it, I want to see what all the fuss about Pride etc is as well

RedCanadian

RatCat freak
UBERScholes said:
Was watching UFC all the time whilst at work these past two weeks, shame to hear Liddel beat Sobral, I was hoping the latter would win. That de Wees fight on ultimate fighter was different class though, couldn't believe how much blood was pouring out of him, I've watched UFC occasionally over the years and always been disappointed by how little blood would be shed. I missed the show yesterday for feck sake, I'm liking it, I want to see what all the fuss about Pride etc is as well
Pride's pretty good. Has some really good fighter's Wanderlei Silva, Mirko Crocop, Aleksander Emilianenko, A.R. Nogueira, Phil Baroni, Kevin Randleman, Takanori Gomi, and a lot of real good Japanese fighters.

If you haven't seen it before, they fight in a boxing ring and not a cage. If the fighters get caught up near the ropes, they stop it, move them to the middle and put them back in the position they were in before the stoppage.

If you like UFC, you will like Pride.

UBERScholes

I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai
Pride is occasionally on Spike TV isn't it? I think I've seen it on the shedule but not for a while

How did the fight between Griffin and Bonner turn out? I remember watching the first one, did the second live up to the hype?

EspadaYdaga

Inbred
UBERScholes said:
Pride is occasionally on Spike TV isn't it? I think I've seen it on the shedule but not for a while

How did the fight between Griffin and Bonner turn out? I remember watching the first one, did the second live up to the hype?
not really... they were kinda cagey ... standing off and trying to pick shots the whole fight... i s'pose they both had more to lose this time

EspadaYdaga

Inbred
i really like pride when i get the chance to see it... here in uk they hardly ever show it on tv... sometimes they have it on eurosport..
but the pride audience understand the fights better... they are much more respectfull of the fighters , like when on the ground... when working positions, the pride audience know what's going on and you hear them respond when a fighter for example gets half guard or passes to the side..

whereas the ufc audience seem only to like a fight if it involves striking... they don't seem to understand the technicalities of ground fighting...
they want to see 2 people punching the shit out of eachother...
there's nothing wrong with that but it's not the only way to fight and certainly isn't the smartest

RedCanadian

RatCat freak
EspadaYdaga said:
i really like pride when i get the chance to see it... here in uk they hardly ever show it on tv... sometimes they have it on eurosport..
but the pride audience understand the fights better... they are much more respectfull of the fighters , like when on the ground... when working positions, the pride audience know what's going on and you hear them respond when a fighter for example gets half guard or passes to the side..

whereas the ufc audience seem only to like a fight if it involves striking... they don't seem to understand the technicalities of ground fighting...
they want to see 2 people punching the shit out of eachother...
there's nothing wrong with that but it's not the only way to fight and certainly isn't the smartest
Totally agree with you on the audience. Much more knowledgeable in Japan.

RedCanadian

RatCat freak
Just read on the UFC website that Bonnar failed a steroid's test after the match with Griffin. Here's the article

The following is a new article from UFC.com

Bonnar Tests Positive, Faces Suspension and Fine
By Thomas Gerbasi

On Wednesday, a complaint was filed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission against light heavyweight contender Stephan Bonnar, citing a positive test result for the banned substance Boldenone.

Bonnar was tested after his three round decision loss to Forrest Griffin at UFC 62 on August 26th. Boldenone is an anabolic agent which was also one of the substances former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett tested positive for after his title-winning effort over Randy Couture in March of 2002. Barnett was subsequently stripped of his title by the UFC and suspended by the NSAC.

“Obviously, we need to wait and hear Stephan’s side of the story, but the UFC wholeheartedly supports the commission’s continuing efforts to keep this sport clean and to protect the athletes,” said UFC President Dana White. “I hope this is the type of news we never have to hear again in professional sports.”

Bonnar has until September 26th to respond to or dispute this complaint in writing, and then a disciplinary hearing will be set. Bonnar faces a fine and suspension from the NSAC.

ShootfighterX

lol @ Bonnar, other fighters get busted for hardcore medical, athletic or bodybuilding steroids and he gets done taking a steroid that gives horses shiny coats lol!!!

Hey guys I am a lifelong MMA fan and apart from United it is my #1 passion. I hope to talk to you about it more.

EspadaYdaga

Inbred
ShootfighterX said:
lol @ Bonnar, other fighters get busted for hardcore medical, athletic or bodybuilding steroids and he gets done taking a steroid that gives horses shiny coats lol!!!

Hey guys I am a lifelong MMA fan and apart from United it is my #1 passion. I hope to talk to you about it more.
can tell by your screen name!

EspadaYdaga

Inbred
i just read that tito is gonna fight shamrock again in october... tito didn't want to as it's finished business but the ufc asked him to as a favour ( full house = $$ ) so he's gonna do it..
lets hope he retires that loud mouthed deluded prick

EspadaYdaga

Inbred
RedCanadian said:
I think its going to be on Ultimate Fight Night and not PPV
i see them all for free here in uk on bravo anyway :D

not live though... they show them the next day

EspadaYdaga

Inbred
RedCanadian said:
I'd rather watch them a day later and for free than pay $50 bucks and watch them live.

how can this channel broadcast a PPV for free, just wondering?
i don't know... different laws over here... or they prob pay the ufc a certain amount for the rights

ShootfighterX

Code:
 so he's gonna do it.. 
yes lets all hope Ken pulls one out of the bag and shuts Tito the feck up.

C'mon people I know Ken is loud and some may find him a bit OTT and his best is clearly behind him, but how anyone can cheer for Tito is beyond me - hes a classless punk. feck him

EspadaYdaga

Inbred
ShootfighterX said:
Code:
 so he's gonna do it.. 
yes lets all hope Ken pulls one out of the bag and shuts Tito the feck up.

C'mon people I know Ken is loud and some may find him a bit OTT and his best is clearly behind him, but how anyone can cheer for Tito is beyond me - hes a classless punk. feck him
dunno about that mate... yeah tito is mouthy... but only as part of his fight persona... seeing him on the ultimate fighter as a couch changed my view of him... he was an excellent coach who got in there and trained hard with his team, he genuinley cared about each member of his team and did his utmost to help each one improve.... training each one as an individual and giving really good corner advice in the fights.

Ken spent the whole time trying to bully and dominate his team... was a shit coach ( a body builder for nutritional advice?! )
and his corner advice was just shouting... suck it up! knock him out! and shit like that... no sound tactical or technical advice throughout the fights like tito gave...

EspadaYdaga

Inbred
the guy with the crazy eyes has gone...
actually... the fight finished quick but i think it's cos the winner ( cant recall his name ) was good.. he was going for a kimura or something then switched to that triangle... and the triangle was sunk in deep, even when getting slammed he kept it there and finished it.

i'd have liked to see crazy eyes guy bash up shonie carter... that shonie is a prick... he's starting to irritate me now

redjoe

If anyone finds a spare clue please pm it to me
RedCanadian said:
Anybody watch this week's TUF 4? I was actually pretty disappointed with the match. Thoughts......

Been disappointed with the fights on this so far, bar the blonde lad with blood pouring out of his forehead like a tap, the fights have been pretty lacklustre.

RedCanadian

RatCat freak
redjoe said:
Been disappointed with the fights on this so far, bar the blonde lad with blood pouring out of his forehead like a tap, the fights have been pretty lacklustre.
I agree, haven't been too impressed so far. The last fight was awful. The DeWees fight has been by far the best fight, even if you take away the blood spilling all over everything!

EspadaYdaga

Inbred
i think all the fights have been decent.... maybe they're not all spectacular and blood filled but that's because the contestants are all seasoned fighters... they know how to fight... whereas the other ultimate fighter shows had new up and coming fighters... more nerves and less experience

redjoe

EspadaYdaga said:
i think all the fights have been decent.... maybe they're not all spectacular and blood filled but that's because the contestants are all seasoned fighters... they know how to fight... whereas the other ultimate fighter shows had new up and coming fighters... more nerves and less experience

Not so sure about that.

I think the standard has been poor, and I feel some of these fighters, even though thay have experience, aren't that great to begin with.

Nate Quarry from the TUF1 beat Shonie Carter on his debut with relative ease, and if I remember correctly Leben beat the Canadian lad, yeah they might have more experience but some of them seem less hungry than previous contestants.

RedCanadian

RatCat freak
Well, I tend to fall somewhere in between your takes. I think that the fighters are definitely more experienced and therefore there hasn't been too many brawls or one-sided beatings. The fights have been slow and methodical, which I feel is a sign of a more mature fighter.
But on the other hand, I think the fighters this season are being too cautious because they know this could be their last chance. But I think that taking chances is what can win you the fight and many of the fighters don't seem willing to take the chances when they do arise.

redjoe

Last nights fight was better, still not great, but the best in while.I felt the MacCarthy lad was too cautious, a few times he had the chance to take the fight especially in the 2nd round but he didn't.

Overall the better man won.