The MMA thread

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
That was always going to be a quick fight :P

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
How in the holy feck can a judge give that to Felder? Potentially one of the worst I have ever heard

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ngannou working with Teddy Atlas. Good to make his boxing even better but not sure if it would help against an opponent like Stipe, who would almost certainly want to take him down. I am curious to see how he would fare as an actual boxer though.

Oggmonster

Only 5 comments during the fights! Normally wake up to a couple pages. Can see what Dana wanted to get rid of the whole division no one is arsed about it really....same with Shevchenko there's no interest in any of her fights must be hard to promote.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Only 5 comments during the fights! Normally wake up to a couple pages. Can see what Dana wanted to get rid of the whole division no one is arsed about it really....same with Shevchenko there's no interest in any of her fights must be hard to promote.
That's why title fights on these divisions should be co-main in bigger events as they are incapable of carrying a card on their own.

Oggmonster

That's why title fights on these divisions should be co-main in bigger events as they are incapable of carrying a card on their own.
Yeah definitely agree mate. Figueiredo is really entertaining to watch but the problem is they can't draw on their own at the moment, he'd get a few fans if he fought on the Conor vs. Poirier card as the co-main for example and they could try and build from that. I think the womens flyweight division is doomed for failure though. There's no one of any interesti n the division and women traditionally don't draw as well as men at the best of times (except Ronda.) It's just not interesting to watch Valentina batter people no where near as good as her.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yeah definitely agree mate. Figueiredo is really entertaining to watch but the problem is they can't draw on their own at the moment, he'd get a few fans if he fought on the Conor vs. Poirier card as the co-main for example and they could try and build from that. I think the womens flyweight division is doomed for failure though. There's no one of any interesti n the division and women traditionally don't draw as well as men at the best of times (except Ronda.) It's just not interesting to watch Valentina batter people no where near as good as her.
Agreed on both points. I think wish Mighty Mouse and Cejudo were still in Flyweight. Could have been interesting.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If the UFC eliminated the two lightest divisions, I don't think many would care to be honest. I can't get excited about two guys the size of horse racing jockeys getting into a scrap.

As for the women, there are only two fights that would be of interest - Shevchenko v Nunes 3 and Rose v Zhang Weili (which is apparently supposed to happen soon). Other than that, no one cares anymore. Nunes is too dominant and so the 145 division is pointless. Her only chance of losing would be to Shevchenko, who nearly beat her last time.

Oggmonster

Agreed on both points. I think wish Mighty Mouse and Cejudo were still in Flyweight. Could have been interesting.
Yeah, although I think Cejudo will come back. I think it was a bargaining idea which backfired cos Dana/the fans aren't that arsed about him or the division, he probably wanted people to care he's gone when really no one even noticed in all honesty, the whole thing just moved on effortlessly.

If the UFC eliminated the two lightest divisions, I don't think many would care to be honest. I can't get excited about two guys the size of horse racing jockeys getting into a scrap.

As for the women, there are only two fights that would be of interest - Shevchenko v Nunes 3 and Rose v Zhang Weili (which is apparently supposed to happen soon). Other than that, no one cares anymore. Nunes is too dominant and so the 145 division is pointless. Her only chance of losing would be to Shevchenko, who nearly beat her last time.
I agree, some of the fights are great to watch but they do need the support of bigger fighters to prop up the card as @Dirty Schwein said earlier, don't think any of them have the star power to get people excited just cos of them,

Yeah. 145 is the most pointless division in the UFC, I think if Nunes retired the belt would go with her.

RedFish

I thought it was a good card. The Valentina fight was excellent and it was great to see her work for the full 25 minutes.

There have been loads of cards that haven't looked good on paper but have delivered.

Card finished at 6am and I thought the last 2 fights were totally worth it.

Oggmonster

I thought it was a good card. The Valentina fight was excellent and it was great to see her work for the full 25 minutes.

There have been loads of cards that haven't looked good on paper but have delivered.

Card finished at 6am and I thought the last 2 fights were totally worth it.
Looking back at it on hindsight it might of been a good card but in terms of excitement for the event I'd say it's pretty poor, I always watch in the morning but normally I come on here after and there's a few pages of comments...this one there was 5 by 3 people! More an observation how there's little interest in this event especially as it happened. Albeit this thread isn't really the be all and end all for UFC I'm sure.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Looking back at it on hindsight it might of been a good card but in terms of excitement for the event I'd say it's pretty poor, I always watch in the morning but normally I come on here after and there's a few pages of comments...this one there was 5 by 3 people! More an observation how there's little interest in this event especially as it happened. Albeit this thread isn't really the be all and end all for UFC I'm sure.
I get you. I forgot this event was even happening :lol:

RedFish

Casuals what can I say? There's always a bump in posters when the A Listers are fighting......

If you watched last night you would have seen:-
- Antonina out on a transformative display.
- Valentina been tested and shining through with a display of power, and techniwue against a game ( and heavy) opponent. Andrade has no chance IMO.
- Utter brilliance from Figgy.
-Chiokagian with a faultless display utilising her superior range rendering Carvillo impotent.for the whole fight, one month or so out from her destruction by Andrade
- Means putting in a boxing clinic with those jabs and then holding his own when fighting in a phone booth, trading with Perry.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Casuals what can I say? There's always a bump in posters when the A Listers are fighting......

If you watched last night you would have seen:-
- Antonina out on a transformative display.
- Valentina been tested and shining through with a display of power, and techniwue against a game ( and heavy) opponent. Andrade has no chance IMO.
- Utter brilliance from Figgy.
-Chiokagian with a faultless display utilising her superior range rendering Carvillo impotent.for the whole fight, one month or so out from her destruction by Andrade
- Means putting in a boxing clinic with those jabs and then holding his own when fighting in a phone booth, trading with Perry.
You could put it another way though.

Two predictable fights topping the card with heavy favourites, a certain fight going to a grindy decision with Chookagian, and a 4th fight where one of the participants didn’t even care enough about it to put in the effort to cut weight.

I knew there would be enjoyable moments from two world class fighters in both of the top fights but the card was poorly put together. Too much predictability (as far as MMA can be) on one card. No one ever truly knows, but anyone who has seen what Fig and Shev have done to recent opponents wouldn’t have bought into those as competitive fights on paper.

Both of the top fights should have been second to more competitive matches on paper in more popular divisions, on separate cards.

The likes of Perry should be cut, because if he doesn’t care, I certainly don’t.

RedFish

You could put it another way though.

Two predictable fights topping the card with heavy favourites, a certain fight going to a grindy decision with Chookagian, and a 4th fight where one of the participants didn’t even care enough about it to put in the effort to cut weight.

I knew there would be enjoyable moments from two world class fighters in both of the top fights but the card was poorly put together. Too much predictability (as far as MMA can be) on one card. No one ever truly knows, but anyone who has seen what Fig and Shev have done to recent opponents wouldn’t have bought into those as competitive fights on paper.

Both of the top fights should have been second to more competitive matches on paper in more popular divisions, on separate cards.

The likes of Perry should be cut, because if he doesn’t care, I certainly don’t.
Fair enough, I take your points.

Thing is, surely the joy of sport is the unexpected or the changing of the guard. Not that we saw the latter, but seeing Scheva have to dig a little deeper than usual, and in the process, see how truly great she is was brilliant to witness.

With Figgy, we knew he was a monster but that take down and choke was absolute genius.

Point is, a lot of the best cards end up being the ones which are not hyped and they they inform the viewer better for the fights when they fight on 'super cards ' There's always something to learn.

It wasn't well promoted by the UFC but MMA Fighting and the likes of Bloody Elbow have been as dedicated as ever in their coverage. There is enough promotional material out there. You just need to want to find it.

Re: Perry , yeah he should be cut but he won't be because Dana loves him for the attention he gets, even if most of is defamatory or ridiculous in nature.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Fair enough, I take your points.

Thing is, surely the joy of sport is the unexpected or the changing of the guard. Not that we saw the latter, but seeing Scheva have to dig a little deeper than usual, and in the process, see how truly great she is was brilliant to witness.

With Figgy, we knew he was a monster but that take down and choke was absolute genius.

Point is, a lot of the best cards end up being the ones which are not hyped and they they inform the viewer better for the fights when they fight on 'super cards ' There's always something to learn.

It wasn't well promoted by the UFC but MMA Fighting and the likes of Bloody Elbow have been as dedicated as ever in their coverage. There is enough promotional material out there. You just need to want to find it.
I agree. We could be watching the rise of a true great with Fig. It’s hard to see who could stop him at that weight class. I also love Shev and am a big fan. I would have absolutely enjoyed her match as part of a better card.

I would be lying if I said that the intrigue of certain matchups and, as you suggest, the unpredictability of fighting and the unexpected didn’t give me reason to watch though.

The top of this card was about as close as you can get to removing the “unexpected” in MMA. Anything is possible, but there was little intrigue behind the matches I felt.

An almost certain Chookagian decision and Mike Perry after that, is a pretty poorly thought out card in my opinion.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
@George Owen for me is one of the most die hard UFC fans in here. Always setting up predictions, posting embedded videos etc. Even he managed to just post one thing about the opening round of the card :lol:

RedFish

@George Owen for me is one of the most die hard UFC fans in here. Always setting up predictions, posting embedded videos etc. Even he managed to just post one thing about the opening round of the card :lol:
It's great when people in here are posting but I was checking in quite often and @Raoul was the only one who had posted something.

I'm not saying some cards don't look too appetising , thats clearly bullshit, but last night ended up more than decent. Didn't regret staying up.

On the other hand, the Eye v Carvillo card and others like it have been pure garbage.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It's great when people in here are posting but I was checking in quite often and @Raoul was the only one who had posted something.

I'm not saying some cards don't look too appetising , thats clearly bullshit, but last night ended up more than decent. Didn't regret staying up.

On the other hand, the Eye v Carvillo card and others like it have been pure garbage.
I agree, it wasn't the worst card in hindsight but there was zero interest for me beforehand. I just watched it this morning when I woke up.

Oggmonster

I agree, it wasn't the worst card in hindsight but there was zero interest for me beforehand. I just watched it this morning when I woke up.
Yeah exactly. I'm not disputing it was a good event or anything just it was really no interest in it beforehand.

I usually come on here and miss a discussion of the card...last night it looked like no one had made the main event!! I never watch live, struggle to stay up till midnight these days let alone 5am finishes.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yeah exactly. I'm not disputing it was a good event or anything just it was really no interest in it beforehand.

I usually come on here and miss a discussion of the card...last night it looked like no one had made the main event!! I never watch live, struggle to stay up till midnight these days let alone 5am finishes.
Yeah I watch from UK with a child who wakes up early so these 3am starts are not happening bar a McGregor fight or something huge like that.

Oggmonster

Yeah I watch from UK with a child who wakes up early so these 3am starts are not happening bar a McGregor fight or something huge like that.
Haha same I used to do it but then I realised that I'd stay up and be in pain from it being that late and usually to pissed/tired to remember the fights so have to watch it again in the morning anyway!

I just watched when I wake up and don't go on my phone, not quite same as live but next best thing I think

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Ffs Yan Sterling fight is off according to mma fighting. :(

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Ffs Yan Sterling fight is off according to mma fighting. :(
Yeah being rescheduled to Feb I think because of personal reasons with regards to Yan.

Figeiredo vs. Moreno being added to the card though so that should be fun.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yeah being rescheduled to Feb I think because of personal reasons with regards to Yan.

Figeiredo vs. Moreno being added to the card though so that should be fun.
Damn shame, I was looking forward to that.