The MMA thread

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Can’t believe I fell for his retirement. Usually I don’t, I know the game and there is nearly always another fight. But for some reason I believed Khabib

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Plus Khabib really only knows how to fight. At some point, walking around Dubai and eating kebabs all day gets old.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Maybe Sammsky got himself banned because he found out Khabib was coming out of retirement and didn't want to look like even more of a tool than usual. There's level to this shit, really stupid mental levels.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Can’t believe I fell for his retirement. Usually I don’t, I know the game and there is nearly always another fight. But for some reason I believed Khabib
This is fake video. He promised his mother. A man from them neck of the woods will never break a promise to his mother.

bsCallout

You say that you're not bothered about Conor. Now, I'm going to quickly recap what transpired over the past few posts:

You've written hysterical responses and random musings about how good Conor was against fighter X and fighter y when it had nothing to do with the fight we are discussing (Khabib Vs Conor). When I discussed that fight, you dismissed it as "your Khabib love-in" while you insisted on talking about Conor's previous fights, for some odd reason, when they had absolutely no relevance to the discussion.

You then chose to accuse me of being another poster because whoever the other poster is shares the same view that I and most MMA fans have regarding the Khabib Vs Conor fight. I bet you reckon the vast majority of the 2000 Sherdog posters are all the same person since the almost unanimous consensus is that Conor's excuses are...
excuses.

You then divagate and choose to project, calling me a Khabib fan with a shrine (ironic given that you're evidently a overzealous Conor fan who feels the name to randomly right paragraphs of irrelavant text about Conor Vs Also, Conor Vs Alvarez and a million other things that have no relevance of the topic on hand).

I corrected your first silly, unfounded insinuation that I'm whatever "previous poster" also argued with you in the past. And the mods are free to run IP checks to corroborate what I'm saying.

I then corrected your projection that I'm a "Khabib fan with a shrine" which seems to be you getting defensive because someone criticized Conor.

-------------------

Now, I'll gladly address what you wanted me to address in your bullet points:

1-You asked whether I believe a fighter when he says he's trained more than every before a fight? Unless I have a reason to doubt that، why wouldn't i?

On the other hand, when a fighter has a vested interest in claiming that he wasn't prepared AFTER already losing a fight, why can't you entertain the possibility that those claims aren't true?

2- "I'm merely pointing out my original point was he seemed more motivated in previous fights looking from the outside in..../" can you concede that that might be the case"

The first sentence is subjective. That didn't appear to be the case to me and didn't appear to be the case to many others. It might have appeared to be the case to you (and others), which is fine. We were on the outside looking in.

2- Can i concede that Conor was lying about being focused and that despite saying that he was training harder than he had done since his younger years and as motivated as he had ever been (which he didn't say prior to the other fights you mentioned)?

Of course. I conceded that from the beginning. I told you you're allowed that opinion. You don't need to believe what I believe. And I definitely have no way of knowing whether a statement is true or not.

------------------

What are we discussing?

The discussion - and it's an extremely simple one - is whether the fact that Conor and his camp contradicted themselves and their earlier statements, lends credibility to their excuses or weakens them? To a lot of people, this a simple answer. It's a lot more likely that Conor was being truthfu before the fight but giving excuses afterwards because:

1- They had a vested interest in trotting excuses after the loss.
2- They weren't consistent with their statements. They were contradicting themselves at every turn.

You keep asking whether I can concede that the opposite (however unlikely) might be the case, as if the debate were centered around whether it's impossible that Conor was lying? It isn't. And you're shifting goalposts.
I'm not sure how anyone can see Conor in the build up and believe he was his normal self.

Was he motivated? Absolutely, but for the wrong reasons. You could say Conor harboured the same anger that Aldo did, which hampered Aldo.

He was clearly drinking too much and/or doing lines. He was clearly not following his normal training regime either.

None of these things reflect positively on McGregor but some people seem to be obsessed with protecting Khabibs dominance, at all costs.

A better Conor does a better job, but it is still unlikely that he wins.

In regards to lying before a fight, ALL fighters and coaches say how great things are before a fight. McGregor and his team, like most, have never offered excuses after a loss. This time they did, and it was plain to see they were being honest.

NM

Anybody see the video of DC shilling the $70 ppv price and Khabib saying he uses a Russian stream and has never paid?? :lol::lol:

Ladron de redcafe

Anybody see the video of DC shilling the $70 ppv price and Khabib saying he uses a Russian stream and has never paid?? :lol::lol:
Dana White said he has "something special for you motherf**kers, this year." (referring to those who stream their ppvs rather than buy them).

Who's actually paying for the recent ppvs? They've not only dipped in quality but the prices have increased. I can't think of any PPV they've had over the past year and a half that I felt was worth the PPV price.

Ladron de redcafe

Holloway Vs Kattar, who you guys got?
I'm hoping that Holloway will win, and he just might, but I wonder at what point his chin will start to go. He's taken a lot of damage throughout the years and been through a lot of wars.

I don't think he's ever been the same old Max since the Poirier beating, and even though I felt he won one of the Volk fights, it was a wash, when a younger Holloway would have brushed him aside with contemptuous ease. In my opinion, it bespeaks an understandable decline.

Regarding today's card, does anyone know why it's starting at this time if it's in the UAE? It must be close to midnight there when the main card starts. Doesn't make a lot of sense?

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Holloway. I still think he's the best in that division. I think he beat Volko last time out as well.
I'm hoping that Holloway will win, and he just might, but I wonder at what point his chin will start to go. He's taken a lot of damage throughout the years and been through a lot of wars.

I don't think he's ever been the same old Max since the Poirier beating, and even though I felt he won one of the Volk fights, it was a wash, when a younger Holloway would have brushed him aside with contemptuous ease. In my opinion, it bespeaks an understandable decline.

Regarding today's card, does anyone know why it's starting at this time if it's in the UAE? It must be close to midnight there when the main card starts. Doesn't make a lot of sense?
Yeah I'm leaning Holloway UD. But not too confident. In the last fight with Volko he coasted the last 2 rounds, which is unusual. He might be starting to slow down. He started very young, and as already said, has taken way too much damage. Kattar hits hard and with accuracy.

I guess it's up to what Holloway shows up tonight.

First fight finally, here we go!

NM

Dana White said he has "something special for you motherf**kers, this year." (referring to those who stream their ppvs rather than buy them).

Who's actually paying for the recent ppvs? They've not only dipped in quality but the prices have increased. I can't think of any PPV they've had over the past year and a half that I felt was worth the PPV price.
Nobody is or very rich people with nothing to do

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Yeah I'm leaning Holloway UD. But not too confident. In the last fight with Volko he coasted the last 2 rounds, which is unusual. He might be starting to slow down. He started very young, and as already said, has taken way too much damage. Kattar hits hard and with accuracy.

I guess it's up to what Holloway shows up tonight.

First fight finally, here we go!
The insane thing is that he's only 29 years old. I'm the same age, a builder and I'm far more broken than he is :lol: He doesn't do full contact sparring in training either and hasn't for a while so he's obviously aware of those issues and is making amends accordingly (much the same way Gaethje adapted his fight approach to avoid flat out wars). I'm hoping we see a dominant Max performance, I like Kattar but Max is up there with my favourite fighters of all time.

To the bolded - bit like the Rooney/Fabregas effect in football. Hit it hard from a young age and end up peaking early. I saw someone tweet something along the lines of "a 30 year old fighter with 10 years of solid fighting behind him is older (in fighting years) than a 40 year old with half that" - I've paraphrased but you get the gist. God I love having a weekend off I'm absolutely mangled

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
The insane thing is that he's only 29 years old. I'm the same age, a builder and I'm far more broken than he is :lol: He doesn't do full contact sparring in training either and hasn't for a while so he's obviously aware of those issues and is making amends accordingly (much the same way Gaethje adapted his fight approach to avoid flat out wars). I'm hoping we see a dominant Max performance, I like Kattar but Max is up there with my favourite fighters of all time.

To the bolded - bit like the Rooney/Fabregas effect in football. Hit it hard from a young age and end up peaking early. I saw someone tweet something along the lines of "a 30 year old fighter with 10 years of solid fighting behind him is older (in fighting years) than a 40 year old with half that" - I've paraphrased but you get the gist. God I love having a weekend off I'm absolutely mangled
Niice :lol:

Yeah, human bodies are not immune to material fatigue.

No Love

Dana’s announcement is paving the way for a Khabib/McGregor rematch that no one wants. I suppose money talks though. To be honest, I’m not even really interested in seeing Khabib fight anyone at Lightweight though, so there’s that.

No Love

This sport does not give a feck :lol:

Buckley playing his part in another highlight reel knockout.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
The best kick of the 2020 gets sent to jupiter by a kick starting the 2021

What a sport

DrRodo

Dana’s announcement is paving the way for a Khabib/McGregor rematch that no one wants. I suppose money talks though. To be honest, I’m not even really interested in seeing Khabib fight anyone at Lightweight though, so there’s that.
I think many fans wants that rematch to happen man. You've said it before that you don't care but there are many reasons ($) for it to happen again. Imagine all the trash talk behind, and the hype behind it. That stuff is what dana and the fans love.

Me, i wouldnt mind the rematch. I love both fighters and both are icons of the sport

No Love

I think many fans wants that rematch to happen man. You've said it before that you don't care but there are many reasons ($) for it to happen again. Imagine all the trash talk behind, and the hype behind it. That stuff is what dana and the fans love.

Me, i wouldnt mind the rematch. I love both fighters and both are icons of the sport
It all comes down to money, like you and I both alluded to. I know very few people who are interested in that fight. For me, it’s little more than a money grab at the expense of the casual fans, but if you’re interested in seeing it then that’s entirely your prerogative, man. It does nothing for me, personally. Conor will say sickening things about Khabib’s wife/family/religion in the buildup, then proceed to get smashed and strangled.

DrRodo

It all comes down to money, like you and I both alluded to. I know very few people who are interested in that fight. For me, it’s little more than a money grab at the expense of the casual fans, but if you’re interested in seeing it then that’s entirely your prerogative, man. It does nothing for me, personally. Conor will say sickening things about Khabib’s wife/family/religion in the buildup, then proceed to get smashed and strangled.
Actually, i just want to see khabib keep fighting.

In my world, khabib moves up and fight usman

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Conor’s so heel now that I think people will pay to see him get his head kicked in